Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2016, 13:15   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Update on my Yeti, which may be of use to other owners.

On the return leg of a journey from Kochi to Kinnaur, we seemed to have run over something on the smooth highway outside Kolhapur. This was followed by a grating noise and a heavy judder from the rear - which basically told me "Haldex Clutch".

Sure enough we inspected the car and found that oil was leaking from the rear. It was around 7 pm and we were just outside the Toll from Kolhapur when this happened. Quick call to Skoda and they got in touch with their Kolhapur dealer and requested the service staff to stay back for an emergency situation.

Drove to Shrine Skoda @ Kolhapur (luckily just on the highway, about 15 km from where the incident occurred), put it up on the lift and my worst fears were confirmed. End of our long journey - after 6,000 km on the road from Kochi and going through the worst of non-existent roads in Himachal, here we were in Kolhapur, with an underbody hit on a smooth highway.

Much kudos to Skoda and their Regional Manager who co-ordinated everything very quickly. Within 2 hours of the incident the vehicle was on its way to Vinayak Skoda in Bangalore on a flatbed arranged by the dealership, while we continued on our way to RFC 2016 in Goa in a taxi also arranged by the dealership. No money was requested upfront - they said you can settle through NEFT at your convenience. (Note: Decided to get the work done in Bangalore as its closer to Kochi - getting the work done in Kolhapur would've meant some remote management in an unknown place).

The estimate from Vinayak came the next day - Rs.4,26,000 for a full replacement of the final drive assembly. Took me a while to digest this bit of news.

The Skoda RM stepped in again when I mentioned that I had to leave the country soon, and agreed to have the part shipped on priority from Aurangabad as soon as Vinayak placed an order. This process took some time as the insurance survey had to be done and a provisional approval and work order was to be issued by my insurance co, which could only be done after I got back to Kochi and filed a claim with the estimate.

Once back in Kochi the chaps @ United India were lightning fast, arranged for a survey to be done in Bangalore the next working day. Survey done and provisional approval given, I paid my advance (which works out to approx 20% of cost not covered by Insurance) and the order was placed on the 29th of Jul.

Again thanks to SAIPL Management, the part reached Bangalore yesterday (3rd) which is only 3 working days from order placement. Work has begun on the same today and is expected to be complete by tomorrow. Still a bit of paperwork to be done with United India but I'm keeping my fingers crossed & hoping everything will be complete before I leave.

Just a note to keep you guys informed that SAIPL and (selected) dealers can be EXTREMELY supportive if approached in the right spirit. What happened to us was totally unexpected, but they have worked hard to ensure that we are taken care of - so far.

Note: I am not regular on this board, & may not be replying to queries in a hurry. This is just a heads up for fellow Yeti-owners, and those who know me personally may contact directly.

Adding the map tracker of the trip from Bangalore (thanks to Mad Monkey for the tracker that he was testing out). Started 10 Jul from Kochi, went upto Chitkul in Kinnaur (was aiming for Kalpa & Nako, but went to Chitkul instead) ended prematurely on 21 Jul @ Kolhapur.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-trip.jpg  

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th August 2016 at 13:18.
Steeroid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 13:59   #1937
BHPian

Bad luck. Glad skoda swung into action fast and you are happy with their support. How did the underbelly took the hit. Few pics may be useful to the board here
Old 5th August 2016, 08:10   #1938
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Long journey. Do provide a write up on how the yeti performed on bad roads.
Old 5th August 2016, 08:23   #1939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Long journey. Do provide a write up on how the yeti performed on bad roads.
So, where are the Skoda guys going to for their service [post suspension of dealership & service outlet at Patna]? Any information on any upcoming dealer?

It would be really nice if Steer would come up with a t'log, do consider it please
Old 5th August 2016, 08:27   #1940
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Talked to customer care. They said will revert in 24 hrs. No response till date. A friend got his yeti's water pump repaired at a local workshop using Taiwan pump which is better and cheaper than the one Skoda uses.
Old 5th August 2016, 08:33   #1941
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
A friend got his yeti's water pump repaired at a local workshop using Taiwan pump which is better and cheaper than the one Skoda uses.
You guys will become automobile engineer and will know where to procure VAG parts from [like I have been suffering for past 2+ years] Wait a bit more
Old 5th August 2016, 10:12   #1942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It would be really nice if Steer would come up with a t'log, do consider it please
Detailed T'log available with all stats with HVK (the man, not the forum). He was invaluable in helping us with route queries, hotel bookings at the last minute and other travel logistics on a personal basis. He has built up an incredible support and infrastructure network for highway drivers.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 08:25   #1943
BHPian

My Yeti from Marikar is 4 years old and covered a little over 105,000 kms now. It still drives like new and the interiors are also looking likewise.

I've had rather good service experience from Marikar Cochin, though some others have detailed to me of really bad experiences they've had at the same place.

I had to have my Haldex replaced. This was the third expensive component they replaced for me.
I had an a/c replaced during warranty.
Then the power steering at 80% goodwill, because I was just outside the 3 year warranty.
The Haldex Skoda initially refused because it was beyond 4 years. But Marikar service was very supportive, and they encouraged me to get serious.

So I had my lawyer send a letter. Which resulted in a friendly phone from Skoda, explaining as I was outside warranty they could not help. But because they are really nice people, they offered 50%.

I was equally polite and insisted on 100%.

I recieved from him, valuable advice on how corporates hand over legal claims to their lawyers and how matters tend to drag for years.
And I was fascinated to hear all this. It all sounded so similar to a consumer case my brother has been fighting with Maruti and Sai Service ( for being sold a faulty engine, faulty gearbox, rusty bodied Wagon-R more than 10 years ago ) and his case is now awaiting judgement at the national tribunal, Maruti having appealed against judgements all the way from State to National.

As he was very nice and concerned for my welfare and my 10 years, I thanked him and told him I'd therefore just hand over litigation matters to my lawyers and wait the 10 odd years. Because after all, I was only asking for a new vehicle 🤗

Anyway things were on hold for a while and maybe because Marikar Kochi was closing and Skoda wanted to settle disputes pending with that dealership, I was offered 70% on parts. I felt that was rather generous of them, considering I had crossed 80K and 4 years.

So for ₹ 85,000 I got the Haldex replaced at Marikar Trivandrum. (I haven't ever been to the Trivandrum service centre, but feedback from my staff, tells me it leaves a lot to be desired, and is not as good as the Kochi one)

Meanwhile I've had to grapple with a few speed sensor failures. And a rather bouncy ( a bit jarring) suspension on bad roads and pot holes. I'll have to fit my fourth set of tyres in another 10 or 15 K.

But I like this car. As with others have already suggested here, I too cannot find an alternative as good as this. ( except maybe my Palio Sport which is fun to drive )
tomthump is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 10:30   #1944
BHPian

HI,

Update on my Yeti, just completed 4 yrs in July, largely trouble free ownership, and in Aug end Yeti throws up a ABS, traction control light and vehicle does a late start.

I drive down to the dealership (JMD Kandivali) and am told there is a faulty cam sensor (for start issue) which need to be replaced, damages 4500/- INR.

The ABS sensor was replaced, but I was informed there is a wheel bearing issue which they don't have in stock and will need to come back for the same. estimated cost 15,000 - 20,000 INR.

So currently I am driving around with ABS and Traction control light on, and sometimes the vehicle also give a hill descend control light, not sure why considering the 4X4 Ambient does not have that module.

I am disappointed with the reliability of the vehicle, in my past many years of car ownership I have never had these issues. Not sure if it is the vehicle or the dealer taking me for a ride. Last service they made me change the dampers saying these have gone bad and should be replace, I however did not have any ride quality issues prior to the issues.

has someone else experienced similar issues with ABS/TCS in the past ? would like to learn from others experiences.

regards,
Faraz.
Old 7th September 2016, 11:51   #1945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz View Post
HI,

Update on my Yeti, just completed 4 yrs in July, largely trouble free ownership, and in Aug end Yeti throws up a ABS, traction control light and vehicle does a late start.

I drive down to the dealership (JMD Kandivali) and am told there is a faulty cam sensor (for start issue) which need to be replaced, damages 4500/- INR.

has someone else experienced similar issues with ABS/TCS in the past ? would like to learn from others experiences.

regards,
Faraz.
Hi Faraz
Have you had your Battery changed yet? If not, get that done first as a lot of these error lights get generated if the battery is not healthy. The Yeti battery normally lasts only 3-4 years only and should be changed post that.

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th September 2016 at 11:52.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 12:47   #1946
BHPian

Thanks Behemoth, had changed my battery 2 yrs ago. Maybe I should have it rechecked.
Old 9th September 2016, 15:06   #1947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz View Post
Thanks Behemoth, had changed my battery 2 yrs ago. Maybe I should have it rechecked.
Had my battery checked, no issues identified with Battery.

Regards,
Faraz
Old 9th September 2016, 15:11   #1948
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthump View Post
My Yeti from Marikar is 4 years old and covered a little over 105,000 kms now. It still drives like new and the interiors are also looking likewise.

I've had rather good service experience from Marikar Cochin, though some others have detailed to me of really bad experiences they've had at the same place.

I had to have my Haldex replaced.
Wow.
Why did your Haldex fail?
I would have tried to help if you'd let me know - because there are some people in Skoda who are extremely consumer friendly as per experience and that of one or two others here on TBHP for whom I ve been able to facilitate things.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th September 2016 at 15:25. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Inconveniences mobile users.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 09:30   #1949
BHPian

Hi all, need some help here.
Just after 4 years of car purchase, compressor decides to give up. I was on my way to out of mumbai but had to come back due to this. On my way back i checked with autobahn skoda service centre in goregaon and they refused to take my car in as they have more than 100 cars pending to be serviced.
I have heard that there was a recall of compressor for Laura/yeti. The service advisor told me that there was no such recall. Now i am afraid that they may not do it under the recall.
Was there a circular or any affirmative from skoda on compressor recall which i can show to these people to get my work done smoothly.
Old 28th September 2016, 13:02   #1950
BHPian

Skoda and VW have always been prone to comp problems. Coming from cars of this repute, its amazing. Wonder why they dont change their suppliers. Why, even Maruti and Hyundai comps normally run for atleast 10 years before throwing tantrums.

Most Viewed