Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 06:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

Great review Yeti men (Rehaan et. al)! Every thing is spot on (yes including the price I must say), except for the fear of a Skoda service.

Now that is a perception, only time and a tireless Skoda attitude can change.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2010, 07:22   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

very nice review indeed
thank you

one query.
Suppose the seats are left as is for passengers, do you think the boot space can carry a full size golf bag and trolley as well as normal luggage for an out of town holiday?
Or is it absolutely necessary to remove the seats?

How would you rate the luggage boot space in comparison to the Scorpio for example?

I love this car otherwise - really feels super premium. Unfortunately the on road pricing in Bangalore is nearly 2to 3 lacs more than in Delhi!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2010, 08:57   #18
BANNED

This is a really neat SUV. I hope they launch a strip down version at a competitive price too.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Funny looking machine.

And bad at 4x4? Hope the it comes with a free clutch change package.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:30   #20

Legroom for back seats are awfully small!

Hi,

I've checked the Skoda Yeti few months back when they had a demo at Bangalore. One negative feedback is the legroom for back seats are awfully small. I really mean it. However, leg room for front seats are good.

Boot space is good and can fit a golf bag and some luggage bags for a short visit.

Regards!
Old 16th November 2010, 09:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

thanks for detailed review, few queries:

What's the wheelbase for Yeti? Was rear legroom sufficient for 5'8" person at back as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

• The cornering function with the front fog lights turns them on individually depending on the direction in which you steer.
Neat feature. Is this feature available in any other current car in India?

Quote:
You have to press the remote unlock button twice to unlock all doors. Boot release button on the remote control can be useful too. A long press will roll windows up / down.
What happens with single press on unlock button? Does it open driver door at least?
Old 16th November 2010, 09:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Nice review (as usual) and a car quite handsomely kitted up.
But the exterior styling looks like a model which is 3-4 years old. Especially the rear end.
Are the mirrors electronically retractable? What is the consumption unit? ( L / H ??)
Also - IMO the 4x4 badging on the gear lever is kind of a overkill on the showbiz front.
Yes I noticed too in the review and I am worried. Are the OVRMs electrically retractable??

Great review and super pics !!
Old 16th November 2010, 09:40   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A+ review, Rehaan. I'm rating it a well-deserved 5 stars.

To be honest, the quirky looks + after-sales could be the only deal breaker to me. Other than that, the Yeti drives like a premium European sedan. It's handling could put some C+ segment sedans like the Altis to shame. The diesel engine is fast, has linear power delivery and negligible turbo lag. Most interior parts feel on par with the quality of a C Class or 3 series, and that's saying a lot....everything has a feel good, premium feel. In terms of space, its about as much as a Honda City on the inside (width & legroom). The rear seat looks small, but push it all the way back (has fore & aft adjustment) and you can easily fit 4 adults in (as was the case during our test drive).

This car is going to target exactly the kind of customer that the CRV did (when it was properly priced); the diesel engine is a bonus. Thomas Kuehl said his target is 400 - 500 Yeti sales per month. Easily accomplished; there are a lot of people who want an "SUVish" feel with the quality, features & handling of a C+ segment sedan. It's easy to drive and looks "soft" too. Will be a hit with the ladies for sure.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2010 at 09:43.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:43   #24
BHPian

Brilliant review Rehan. Personally I like the vehicle and I always had a grudge against the pricing of Skoda in India. With this pricing, I feel they aren't sure about the positioning of the Skoda. I believe it will be a good VFM pricing for someone who is having 16L budget. But is it all worth with the servicing and support issues. Let's see.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:47   #25
BHPian

WOW! Sam has his own car!

Neat and informative report Rehaan!

hope the usual Skoda issues will not trail the Yeti

Good going BigFoot!
Old 16th November 2010, 09:59   #26
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan for this neat review.

I believe that the Yeti will carve itself a new segment all together, pulling some sales from C level cars and some from the Mini/Compact SUV segment. Very rightly said about comparing the Yeti to the CRV whom I too believe to be the Yeti's closest competitor (not considering the GV coz of it's non-existent sales).

About the rear legroom, the Autocar review had stated that the rear legroom in th Yeti is 'CRV good'...is this true?

Given the 'transitional' road conditions that we have around in plenty I am sure most people would love to have a car/vehicle capable of handling them with ease while catering to 5 adults in comfort.

peace,
~kg

Last edited by kapilvgupta : 16th November 2010 at 10:00. Reason: minors additions..
Old 16th November 2010, 10:06   #27
BHPian

booking yeti ....

thanks rehhan for much awaited review, and you did not disappoint, excellent review as usual.
i just went and had look at the car in flesh, looks quirky to say list. not a full fledged SUV or SAV as such, but fit and finish is superb, i feel its definately value for money. JMD at thane still doesnot have final pricing fixed up so will await same to put in my order.
thank you once again for detailed review and superb pics.
regards
Old 16th November 2010, 10:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Rehaan! The Elegance is Rs 19.09 lacs on-road Gurgaon (sigghhh)....I guess that's VFM pricing given the features but I'd kinda hoped against hope that it would be a lac cheaper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
Are the OVRMs electrically retractable??
Nope, they're not, see below -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If you’re a feature freak, the Elegance’s absence of auto retracting external mirrors, electric seats, auto-on headlights and USB input might be missed by you.
I wonder why they missed this simple trick, so essential these days & should have been a standard feature at this price point.
Old 16th November 2010, 10:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review Rehaan. Covered everything in detail. Just putting down some of my points and observations from the drive.

To be honest I wasnt thinking much of the Yeti before driving it but I admit I am impressed. No it still does not get points from me for the looks and it appears like an overgrown Fabia. But everything changes once you get inside.

The fit and finish is superb and the interiors are well built. Like a typical European car is. Steering is nice, chunky and great to hold. Front seats are not wide but they were comfortable for me. The height adjust has a good range and is a boon for short drivers like me. One of the few cars whose bonnet end I can see from inside. Rear seats are decent but I felt the ride to be firm at the rear. Travel for 4 adults would be comfortable. Boot space is good and you can entirely remove the rear seats to accomadate luggage. With space freed up, you canm actually move house.

The engine drives well and turbo lag is hardly felt . However it does get coarse at high revs. The acceleration is very linear but it is not a rocket. No 'kick back in the seat' feeling here.There is minimal body roll because of it low height and thats a good thing. The Yeti actually drives almost like sedan. Turning circle is short and ideal for driving and parking in the city. I found the ORVMs to be inadequate. They could have been a size bigger. I felt this because all my reversing is done with help from the mirrors.

Overall, the Yeti is a good package. The omissions of sunroof, xenons and a DSG are surprising but that could be the indication that a top end L&K will surely be in the pipeline soon. The DSG is a must have on this car.

On a another note a 1.8 TSI at a nice price would be interesting.

Last edited by Dippy : 16th November 2010 at 10:59.
Old 16th November 2010, 10:14   #30
BHPian

Originally Posted by Rehaan
If you’re a feature freak, the Elegance’s absence of auto retracting external mirrors, electric seats, auto-on headlights and USB input might be missed by you.

<< I thought that meant that they don't retract automatically on engaging reverse or shutting off the engine (like in Laura L&K). You could still be able to retract them electrically by using the joystick.

Most Viewed