Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 21:09   #451

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Guys, I have been a passionate follower of threads on the Yeti and Jazz for the last 2 years. I booked the Jazz last August and after a painful wait and expectations set that I would get it only this May, I cancelled it in Jan. Now, in retrospect, I am glad I did becos:

After that, I have been single mindedly focussed (read as obsessed) with Yeti. I sincerely thank Shankar Balan, Sushil Bajpai, Behemoth and many others for sharing their experience. I could relate to my own journey to their experiences.

Finally, I have booked the Yeti Elegance 4 X 4 and am expecting to take delivery in about a week or so!!!

I am thrilled to share this exciting news!!!!

Last edited by MountainGoat : 18th April 2012 at 21:35.
MountainGoat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 22:45   #452
BHPian

checked out the yeti today. just waiting for the day when i am going to book mine.

the dealer claims that there are ony 2 versions as of april 2012: 4x2 ambition and 4x4 elegance. he also gave me a copy of thr pre printed price list which had only 2 versions.

nevis alloys are ok in the skin, me preffered the spectrum wheels over the nevis.

how are the headlights on the yeti? i do a lot of night driving on poorly lit roads and highways. is it possible to upgrade bulbs without voiding warranty? also is it possible to fit HID bulbs in the existing light setup?

the dealer has offered a discount of 1L on the OTR. is it the current available discount or should i push for more.. me interested in the 4x4 elegance.

enlighten!
Old 19th April 2012, 23:14   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
the dealer has offered a discount of 1L on the OTR. is it the current available discount or should i push for more.. me interested in the 4x4 elegance.

enlighten!
You should push more for sure (I am assuming the vehicle sold is 2011 manufactured and as far as I know Skoda is not dispatching any 2012 vehicles until dealers clear the 2011 stock).

The total discount offered on 4x4 elegence is 1.6 lakhs (1 lakhs cash discount + Free insurance + corporate discount). Last month Autocar wrote 1.4 lakhs discount, but it is further enhanced with corporate discount now. But you have to push for it.

Have a look at these links:
Skoda Yeti 4X4 selling for massive dealer discount of INR 1.6 lakhs, in an ICB Exlcusive! | IndianCarsBikes.in
http://www.carkhabri.com/carnews/sko...of-rs-16-lakhs

Quote:
how are the headlights on the yeti? i do a lot of night driving on poorly lit roads and highways. is it possible to upgrade bulbs without voiding warranty? also is it possible to fit HID bulbs in the existing light setup?
The headlights + fog lamps looked sufficient on the test drive car. But you always have an option of upgrading to OSRAM night breaker + 55/60 W bulbs for a result of 90/100 W ordinary halogen bulb. OSRAM 55/60 is the OEM bulb for many Skoda models so warranty would not be affected I guess. I am using this bulb on my Optra magmum which is having a bad reflector by design, but this bulb is giving very good results.
-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 19th April 2012 at 23:31.
Old 20th April 2012, 17:24   #454
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Well buddy, you've got yourself a veritable Mountain Goat in the Yeti - it is a supremely capable, extremely comfortable, solid and fine vehicle. I love every minute I spend driving it! The in dash, integrated music system is absolutely delicious - the sound is at a different level entirely. The safety features give one amazing confidence as does the driveability and handling of the vehicle, be it in city on on the highway. Fantastic car indeed.

In my book, as of now, nothing else will do. And the big problem is that once you get a Yeti, you will be very hard pressed when it comes to upgrading to your next car, some years down the line.

This European quality, fit, feel, finish, finesse and overall luxury, once experienced, is very easy to get used to and very difficult to compromise on, when evaluating a new car. All the other vehicles from India, Korea, Japan etc tend to pale into insignificance in comparison!

All the best with your Yeti!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
After that, I have been single mindedly focussed (read as obsessed) with Yeti. I sincerely thank Shankar Balan, Sushil Bajpai, Behemoth and many others for sharing their experience. I could relate to my own journey to their experiences.

Finally, I have booked the Yeti Elegance 4 X 4 and am expecting to take delivery in about a week or so!!!

I am thrilled to share this exciting news!!!!

Hey - push your dealer hard and you will win a bigger discount than 1 lac.

Especially if you are buying the 4x4 Ambiente/Ambition or Elegance versions and are capable of pushing the dealer hard. Patience pays - just wear the dealer down and get what you want!

Even I prefer the Spectrums to the Nevis. The car somehow looks more wholesome with these, to me!

The headlights are perfectly adequate for our conditions in my opinion. I have enjoyed driving my Yeti in the hills at night. However the Bi Xenons are even better - but I would caution you against doing any modifications at all to your Yeti unless you are doing it through your dealer and with a clear understanding with the Dealer that the Skoda Warranty will still hold good. Use only Skoda genuine accessories and parts - Personally I would never touch any kind of dodgy after market stuff, however appealing it might be.

Quote:
checked out the yeti today. just waiting for the day when i am going to book mine.

the dealer claims that there are ony 2 versions as of april 2012: 4x2 ambition and 4x4 elegance. he also gave me a copy of thr pre printed price list which had only 2 versions.

nevis alloys are ok in the skin, me preffered the spectrum wheels over the nevis.

enlighten!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:22   #455
BHPian

almost about to book a yeti. only worry is skoda A.S.S. in chennai and coimbatore only one dealer = monopoly = BAAD service. anyone on the forum have any experience with millenium motors coimbatore?

how is s7 cars? there are a few positive reports about them.

info on coimbatore dealer experience would be much appriciated.

cheers!
Old 27th April 2012, 23:32   #456
BHPian

I don't want to sound like a spanner locking the gears, but I too own a Yeti . Elegance Mato Brown. Yearned for, researched all over, read through, and against all good advice, bought! because I felt I'd like it. Do I ?
Well.... Almost.
I like my Yeti for the extraordinary interior frills, the drive is comfortable enough and so is the handling.
The ride is okay, Just okay.
Manoeuvrability, the Maruti Omni is better, I own one.
Engine response, My Fiat Palio Sport is better.
Power, my Scorpio bought in 2003-4 delivers better power.
Overall, it is just another good vehicle, better than most I could look for.
But I don't have any experience of driving cars others than mentioned above.
Any regrets? None so far. Well meaning advisors suggested avoiding the Yeti because it is a Skoda, and Skoda means BAD as far as spares and service is concerned.
A mighty expensive mistake for one to make if one makes one, but then I told myself, what the heck, you only live once.
I got the car April this year and had to shell out double for road tax, though I tried to buy my car last fin year.
I may not be qualified to comment, having only driven 1900 Kms in three weeks, but what would be my comments for others like me?
The thing is a pain in city traffic, and a joy on an open stretch.
I bought it because I need to traverse a very bad stretch every day, but I am scared my car can't handle the situation. If it can, it is the best for me, and I'll know in a couple of of months.
The plastics make rude itty bitty noises. The gear shift on slow drives is a nuisance. The paraphernalia of facilities on the steering wheel is distracting. The sound system
Is exciting. You get worried about scratches and I've already got some.

My Beloved Palio is lying unloved because I've suddenly found the Yeti to be better. My Scorpio is given for servicing so it won't know how I perceive it till later.
The steering on my Yeti pulls a bit to the left, so don't go blindly believing that German and Czech is better than Indian because Aurangabad is still in India.
So finally what would I suggest to a potential Yeti buyer?
Go ahead, buy the car because it is good. Made in India so be aware. Get yourself a good set of floor mats, a good solution of glass cleaner, and either a three set of seat covers made of good cotton cloth or a good leather cleaner.
tomthump is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 15:25   #457
Senior - BHPian

After driving a Magnum diesel to work and back for nearly 4 years and 94 thousand kilometers we looked into a lot of SUV's incl the Ford Endy, Mahindra XUV, and that huge TATA Aria and finally settled for a Yeti 4 x 4 Ambiente model. Here she is parked off road at Karjat
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img00605201204261559.jpg
Already used over 2500 km in 8 days. Pure joy to drive on the NH and great off it on gravel or mud. Best of all since the seat has height adjustment one can get off the car and walk straight after even 500 kms, unlike in the magnum. Nope we didn't look into the Captiva cos figured not another Chevy after the last one. Their build quality and the service their dealers provide just isn't worth it. Hopefully Skoda Yeti will prove itself as should their service dealers.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 28th April 2012 at 15:27.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 12:27   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthump View Post
I like my Yeti for the extraordinary interior frills, the drive is comfortable enough and so is the handling.
The ride is okay, Just okay.
Manoeuvrability, the Maruti Omni is better, I own one.
Engine response, My Fiat Palio Sport is better.
Power, my Scorpio bought in 2003-4 delivers better power.
I bought it because I need to traverse a very bad stretch every day, but I am scared my car can't handle the situation. If it can, it is the best for me, and I'll know in a couple of of months.
The plastics make rude itty bitty noises. The gear shift on slow drives is a nuisance.
Hi Tomthump,

As a Yeti user for nearly 18 months now, and covering close to 22k Kms on my beast, I can offer you some suggestions which can help improve your ownership experience!
1) Keep all the tyre pressures in the range of 30-32 PSI (normal loading) and 34 Psi (full loading) this will give you much better ride comfort. Even Skoda nowadays is suggesting 30 PSI in their summer camp for the Yeti in all 4 tyres. For Winter they suggest 32 Psi.

2) Comparing the maneuverability to an Omni is a first! The Yeti is comparatively maneuverable compared to any SUV / Car. If you compare it any long sedan, the visibility and the length and short turning radius of 5 m is actually quite less and a boon in city traffic. Try driving a Civic and you will feel the difference!
I feel that you might have your driver seat a little low to hamper visibility. Crank it up to get a better front view!

3) Powerwise, if you have the 140 bhp variant, it should not feel underpowered, as it extremely luggable and powerful. The peak torque range is 1750-2500 rpm, so if you drive in this torque range you will feel the power. IT has an official 0-100 time of 9.9 secs.
If you have the 110 bhp 4x2 variant, that is slower, but in the sprint to 100, it should be around 12 seconds, which is fast compared to other diesel sedans / SUVs. Only the Cruze diesel is faster than this.
If you feel that it is slower than this, do get your Yeti checked and scanned for performance.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 13:07   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Tomthump,

As a Yeti user for nearly 18 months now...

I feel that you might have your driver seat a little low to hamper visibility. Crank it up to get a better front view!

3) Powerwise, if you have the 140 bhp variant, it should not feel underpowered, ...
If you have the 110 bhp 4x2 variant, ...
If you feel that it is slower than this, do get your Yeti checked and scanned for performance...Regards, Behemoth
Thank you for the advice Behemoth.

(i) I had filled at 32psi, and was thinking of going down to 30 psi.
(ii) I have the 4x4 Elegance 2.0 TDI, the bhp frankly I don't know.
(iii) Performace, as I said already, I am happy enough, just that I feel my Scorpio delivers better power on a 1/2 km steep gradient I have on my road every day. I am not trying to say my Yeti is bad. But 2.6 litres is after all more that 2.0 litres.
(iv) I had a feeling that my off road mode was not activating, so I took it to the service center a fortnight ageo, they scanned and I think reloaded the system again. And I think the version is 1.9 that they have.

Any way I have only clocked 2000 kms odd, and I have a lot more driving and learning to drive the Yeti ahead of me. Maybe in a few more months I will be better off.

The seat is cranked up to maximum height, the steering lifted so that I can 10 O' clock comfortably enough, though I tend to drive more with my fingers on the spokes.

I had a slight pull to the left, took it to an alignment center and they gave the Yeti back with a pull to the right. I was not that aware then but that mild pull gave my Yeti an uncomfortable drive feel. So I took it to my old mechanic, whom I 've known for 30 odd years.
He did his thing with twine and bushings, and gave my car back with the pull again to the left. But the steering was much free-er. He adviced I drive a few days and bring it back.
I am taking the Yeti this afternoon.
Folks may scream against doing workshop alignment the old way, but I am confident with his work, and I'll know again this evening.
I am driving to Cochin tomorrow so if things are not good enough I can correct it at the service centre.
I 'll try and take a few pictures this evening, it will be fun to show a "YETI"'s wheels being aligned (a brand new Yeti at that) at an old typical garage.
Please don't scream and start pulling hairs.
Old 30th April 2012, 13:59   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthump View Post
Scorpio delivers better power on a 1/2 km steep gradient I have on my road every day. I am not trying to say my Yeti is bad. But 2.6 litres is after all more that 2.0 litres.

I had a slight pull to the left, took it to an alignment center and they gave the Yeti back with a pull to the right. I was not that aware then but that mild pull gave my Yeti an uncomfortable drive feel. So I took it to my old mechanic, whom I 've known for 30 odd years.
He did his thing with twine and bushings, and gave my car back with the pull again to the left. But the steering was much free-er. He adviced I drive a few days and bring it back.
Hi Tomthump,

Yes, I would tend to agree with you that the low end torque of higher capacity IDI engines was more: that is one of the reasons why you may be feeling this. The new-gen CRDI engines don't have the same levels of low-end torque , but they have much better fuel efficiency and improved NVH levels. Also, the torque delivery is comparatively more linear and better managed due to the exact fuel injection quantity and timing.
My Yeti has been giving me consistently around 16-17 Kmpl in summer and 17-19 in winter in the past 18 months.
For the alignment issue, it can be due to a badly calibrated machine at the workshop, which is quite common! Even I have had the same experience with the alignment with Ford (my previous Fiesta), Honda and even Skoda now. I even came to know that the Skoda workshop in Gurgaon is actually getting their alignment done from outside!
It's fine if you go with a trusted garage, but make sure that he has good equipment and also the correct settings. Mostly they will do the toe-in adjustment only and castor and camber settings are factory set and cannot and should not be changed.
In case the pulling issue still does not get sorted out, you can try cross swapping the front and rear tyres:
Front LH<> Rear RH
Front RH<> Rear LH
This helps counter the effect of pull due to uneven tyres.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 30th April 2012, 22:28   #461
BHPian

@Behemoth
Thanks once again for the detailed reply.
As you suggested, the response IS even after the slight initial lag. I also noticed that there is a good powerband at around the 2000 mark which is where the needle goes to anyway when I do a climb.
The terms like camber etc are words I've heard used and that is where it begins and ends for me.
Being a rather big ignoramus on such things I am one of those people who actually forgot to ask the dealer how to open the fuel tank lid and had to call from the filling station.
I called again at the registration time to ask how to open the bonnet. Must give a vague idea about my tech competency.
I trust people and have luckily managed to find trustworthy people to go to for help, so I generally leave my vehicle problems for others to solve, so that I can freely enjoy my rides... Maybe not a good way of doing things, but I am happy with my convivence so far.
I took a few snaps with my phone, but the network is not fast enough to upload. Maybe I can put em up later for you to have a look see and opine on them.
Thanks again for the nice quick reply.
Old 9th May 2012, 01:12   #462
BHPian

Friends, I have been silent spectator of this forum for last many years. We currently have a type2 Honda city 1.3EXi 2001 model and an i10 Sportz auto 2010 with us. I mostly use the city and wife does use the i10. I still like both of these vehicles for its strengths.

I have been dreaming about owning an SUV for quite a long time, but finance and priorities were keeping us away from acquiring a new ride. Have been saving for a while and now we have narrowed down our option to Yeti Elegance 4X4 after spending quite a lot of time looking at other possibilities! Team Bhp ownership threads and detailed reviews really helped us in making the tough decision too. Special thanks to all the team members who posted their ownership stories in this great forum! I owe a lot to you guys.

Have started negotiating with both Dealers (BLR) on the pricing front, expecting to lock down deal by this week end. What kind of discounts I should expect on this model? Is it worth pushing dealer for any freebees? Any advice on these would be big help. Any reference also would be really useful. Again in case some of the members are looking buying Yeti in coming weeks in Bangalore we could look at the options for group deal as well.. Anyone?
Old 15th May 2012, 13:26   #463
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Do have a word with Vinayak Skoda - Hemanth, their GM, will definitely assist you with a good deal. You are welcome to mention that I referred you to him. I will PM his number to you.

Its my guess that you can drive away your Elegance with at least 1.5 lacs off the normal price, so that should give you an indication. The Elegance 4x4 is really the one to go for - nothing less will do, in my opinion. Its a Top car!

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajblr View Post
Friends, I have been silent spectator of this forum for last many years.
Have been saving for a while and now we have narrowed down our option to Yeti Elegance 4X4 after spending quite a lot of time looking at other possibilities!
Have started negotiating with both Dealers (BLR) on the pricing front, expecting to lock down deal by this week end. What kind of discounts I should expect on this model? Is it worth pushing dealer for any freebees?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 23:27   #464
BHPian

Thanks Shankar for the PM. I did close the deal few days back with Vinayak and expecting delivery of Candy White Elegance in few days. I am really thrilled and counting down days!
Old 17th May 2012, 23:23   #465
vij
BHPian

I am thinking of getting elegance model in June. I am from hyd. All finances are ready. Is the discount only available for 4x4? Any idea?

Last edited by vij : 17th May 2012 at 23:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks