Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2012, 07:55   #481
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Nice looking second hand. Nice price too. However, lots of Mumbai sellers claim to be selling Parsi Owned. Yes the Parsis love their cars. However, the term is nowadays quite misused and it is quite possible that the owner or seller has not even a remote connection with the community!
Looks like the above has a connection to the community. belongs to a T-Bhpian and here is the ad on Tbhp: http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/prin...sting_id=19618
Old 1st July 2012, 10:01   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj

Looks like the above has a connection to the community. belongs to a T-Bhpian and here is the ad on Tbhp: http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/prin...sting_id=19618
Good observation Sunil! Just also noticed that he has mentioned that his reason for sale as "upgrading to q3". So amongst many yeti owners here thinking of upgrading from Yeti to the Q3 (including me and shankar) , he will be the first!
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:25   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Lapsi,

No worries, the cornering lights can easily be activated via VCDS (Vagcom) on the Ambiente version (I have done so on mine!). I have also activated dial sweep and Auto door lock / unlock etc. I have a VCDS cable, but I am based in Delhi NCR. You can try to find someone in Mumbai who can help you out there!
Happy Yettiing!

Regards,
Behemoth
Hi Behemoth,
I had missed seeing this post of yours. I am expecting delivery of my Yeti Ambition 4X2 this week. Would you know of somebody who would help me with the activation of the cornering lights and indeed any other features of the Elegance model on my Yeti? Thanks !

Also, the TD Yeti had the typical problem of stalling at a low RPM in 1/2nd. gear. Would you suggest increasing the idle RPM setting a notch higher to overcome this issue or is it just a question of getting used to it?

Last edited by Kontoo : 2nd July 2012 at 17:33.
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:17   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo View Post
Also, the TD Yeti had the typical problem of stalling at a low RPM in 1/2nd. gear. Would you suggest increasing the idle RPM setting a notch higher to overcome this issue or is it just a question of getting used to it?
All VAG Group cars here with DMF have the stalling problem, its just that the clutch is little more sensitive in Yeti 4x4. AFAIK Yeti 4x2 is as not as prone to stalling. Not an issue at all once you get used to it.
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:28   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo
Hi Behemoth,
I had missed seeing this post of yours. I am expecting delivery of my Yeti Ambition 4X2 this week. Would you know of somebody who would help me with the activation of the cornering lights and indeed any other features of the Elegance model on my Yeti? Thanks !

Hi kontoo,
Which city are you based in? I am accessing through the mobile app so not able to see it. There are quite a few Tbhp members who have the VCDS cable.
In the recent yet is I don't think that you will need to raise the idle speed as they had taken care of this issue in the engine ecu update which they had done last year. After that even if have also never had the stalling issue. I probably may not even have stalled even once in the past 9 months. My Yeti idles at around 820 rpm which is 40 rpm higher than the original setting of 780 which I had changed. Can anyone with a recent yeti confirm the idle speed? Our new laura too idles at 820.
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:35   #486
Senior - BHPian

I have not stalled even once too on my yeti 4x4. I think they have already updated the ECU fix for the newer ones.

I have put on the bluetooth and media modules for the bolero system and the phone integration works really well. However, for the iPod native integration, the ipod compatibility module is installed, but I am informed it requires reprogramming through VCDS/Vagcom. So, the accessory guy is going to do it tomorrow. Albiet doing this, they have disabled the airbags from the glovebox (by turning the key). after finishing the install, and after the airbag is enabled, the airbag gauge is always on in the odometer. I think possibly something had gone wrong during the install, but installer is telling me, it is not a big issue, and will be fixed during VCDS/Vagcom session tomorrow. Should I be worried?

Last edited by iTNerd : 2nd July 2012 at 18:42.
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:10   #487
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Dont change any of the idling settings. You will get used to this stalling thing. All you need to do really is to diligently and gently ensure that you don't generally fall below 1000rpm, especially while releasing the clutch and accelerating simultaneously. I agree it is a bit irritating in the first day or two or three but you soon get the hang of it.
Behemoth and Pramods are the men on Yeti tech things.
And it might be good for you to connect also with Abbey4U and ITNERD in Delhi both of whom have also bought Yetis.

Behemoth - Kontoo is based here in Bangalore but I would rather he seeks your expert help because I am not that hot on technology.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo View Post
Hi Behemoth,

Old 2nd July 2012, 19:44   #488
BHPian

No Need to worry about the stalling thing. I stalled only once until now.

And ItNerd, I will be worried about the airbag light always on. Please be sure to observe the changes done by installer to fix this issue.

Last edited by abbey4u : 2nd July 2012 at 19:46.
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:56   #489
Senior - BHPian

^
Stalling is typical for this range of engines from VW/Skoda group. I stalled the Yeti twice on my first test drive as I did to the Laura. I have even stalled my petrol Superb a couple of times during the first month of ownership, but you gradually get used to it and soon come to grips with the required rpm requirements.
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:29   #490
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u
No Need to worry about the stalling thing. I stalled only once until now.

And ItNerd, I will be worried about the airbag light always on. Please be sure to observe the changes done by installer to fix this issue.
Its normal for the passenger airbag light to come on as soon as you start the car. It will stay on a short while and then go off automatically. If it continues to stay on even after several minutes then it is worth checking.

The passenger airbag can be switched off by using your ignition key but If you do that the whole purpose is defeated.

Even the parktronics P light typically comes on automatically when you engage reverse. It stays working all the time till you have completed your maneuvres. Then once you accelerate out forwards and you get to 15 to 20 kmph it automatically switches itself off.

The same with the Off Road button which you can hit over a bad patch. The moment you cross 20kmph or so in terms of speed it switches itself off.

Very intelligent LittleBigFoot it is!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd July 2012 at 20:32.
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:33   #491
BHPian

Don't change the RPM setting, you will get used to the stalling, I still stall my Yeti some time, usually when you break from higher speed and you have a habit of pressing clutch at the last stage, sometime it embracing and sometime it's frustrating but you get used to the clutch and start enjoying the vehicle. On the recent trip I ran the yeti for continuously 14 hrs more than twice and the engine was not missing any bit anytime. I run the AC all the time, my AC is always on since I have the vehicle.

The only problem I find is, it difficult to get the exact setting back if you/someone change the seating arrangement!

-Pramod
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:38   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
I have not stalled even once too on my yeti 4x4. I think they have already updated the ECU fix for the newer ones.

I have put on the bluetooth and media modules for the bolero system and the phone integration works really well. However, for the iPod native integration, the ipod compatibility module is installed, but I am informed it requires reprogramming through VCDS/Vagcom. So, the accessory guy is going to do it tomorrow. Albiet doing this, they have disabled the airbags from the glovebox (by turning the key). after finishing the install, and after the airbag is enabled, the airbag gauge is always on in the odometer. I think possibly something had gone wrong during the install, but installer is telling me, it is not a big issue, and will be fixed during VCDS/Vagcom session tomorrow. Should I be worried?

The airbag warning light comes on if the battery leads are disconnected from the battery. It can be reset with the VCDS setup and probably the installer will do it for you. It should not come back on after that.
However please know that there is a history of all the diagnostic trouble shooting codes and when and where they were erased that the ECU keeps. Skoda is a little fussy about third party electrical installs. Would be good if you are upfront with your Dealer to prevent any warranty issues.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:53   #493
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth

The airbag warning light comes on if the battery leads are disconnected from the battery. It can be reset with the VCDS setup and probably the installer will do it for you. It should not come back on after that.
However please know that there is a history of all the diagnostic trouble shooting codes and when and where they were erased that the ECU keeps. Skoda is a little fussy about third party electrical installs. Would be good if you are upfront with your Dealer to prevent any warranty issues.
Hey Behemoth.
Is there any other bluetooth thingy available, which I can buy and simply run off the AC Adaptor? I mean a completely separate unit, which doesn't touch the car's own electricals at all, except to draw power from the socket.
It would be far nice to have one of these than the horrendous blue tooth ear pieces that we re forced to use now.
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:12   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dont change any of the idling settings. You will get used to this stalling thing. All you need to do really is to diligently and gently ensure that you don't generally fall below 1000rpm, especially while releasing the clutch and accelerating simultaneously. I agree it is a bit irritating in the first day or two or three but you soon get the hang of it.
Behemoth and Pramods are the men on Yeti tech things.
And it might be good for you to connect also with Abbey4U and ITNERD in Delhi both of whom have also bought Yetis.

Behemoth - Kontoo is based here in Bangalore but I would rather he seeks your expert help because I am not that hot on technology.
Cheers!
Thanks guys. Yes, I shall take the advice given by all of you and not attempt to change the idle RPM setting. I should hopefully get used to it soon. Oh, by the way, I am yet to get the delivery of my Yeti
Like Shankar mentioned, I am based out of Bangalore and would really appreciate if anyone of you could help with the Vagcom cable and stuff.
A big hello to Abbey4u, Promod & ITNERD. Hope to be in regular touch with all the YOG ( Yeti Owners Group )
Cheers!
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:47   #495
Senior - BHPian

I noticed one strange behaviour - the gear upshift recommendation popups even though I can clearly feel the engine has not build up the rev. I meant, I felt the need for a little more push to the accelerator before the upshift, but I guess that is a hangover from my civic.

And talking about the upshift popups, is there any setting to make it audible, like any other warning beep (how about an audible 'shift to 4', 'shift to 6', 'downshift to 3' etc. would have greatly aided to the driving experience, as one don't have to focus on the MID interface).

I was comparing the thickness of the body with the civic, o boy, the yeti is built like an armored vehicle. The sheets are so much thicker and does not even exhibit the slightest bent when pressing it, unlike in civic. The NVH is much better in Yeti that I can hardly hear anything on the road. The only irritation I have is the engine noise in lower gears which is a bit pronounced in the cabin.

And lastly, the mileage, just got 11.20 kms/l from the odd 140 kms I have done so far. Though it included 45-60 mins of idling with AC on (picnic party inside), I was hoping to at least get around 15 kms/l, keeping in mind, that most of the driving are on the expressways. May be the culprit is the driving habit, as I frequently tend to revv the engine and was not quite on the right gears. I will have to try to keep using the torque factor to avoid revving for better efficiency. Any other tips?

Last edited by iTNerd : 2nd July 2012 at 22:53.

Most Viewed