Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:13   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hey Behemoth.
Is there any other bluetooth thingy available, which I can buy and simply run off the AC Adaptor? I mean a completely separate unit, which doesn't touch the car's own electricals at all, except to draw power from the socket.
It would be far nice to have one of these than the horrendous blue tooth ear pieces that we re forced to use now.
Yes there are plenty of clip on bluetooth units available. We have two - one in the Yeti for my wife which is a blackberry one which clios onto the visor and connects to the phone via bluetooth. It also can broadcast the same audio over a preset frequency through the radio so that you can hear the audio over the car speakers. It is quite a nifty device And wifey uses it quite frequently. The other one in the Laura is a Plantronics which can connect to Blackberry as well as my Samsung S2 amd has similar features. Both costed around 4600 rupees each. The battery lasts for around 10 hours of talktime on a 4 hr charge and standby time is around 15 days.
There are many such models available in the market.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:38   #497
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth

Yes there are plenty of clip on bluetooth units available. We have two - one in the Yeti for my wife which is a blackberry one which clios onto the visor and connects to the phone via bluetooth. It also can broadcast the same audio over a preset frequency through the radio so that you can hear the audio over the car speakers. It is quite a nifty device And wifey uses it quite frequently. The other one in the Laura is a Plantronics which can connect to Blackberry as well as my Samsung S2 amd has similar features. Both costed around 4600 rupees each. The battery lasts for around 10 hours of talktime on a 4 hr charge and standby time is around 15 days.
There are many such models available in the market.
Thank you so much.
I think I shall investigate this further because I would prefer this approach rather than the other one!
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:06   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I noticed one strange behaviour - the gear upshift recommendation popups even though I can clearly feel the engine has not build up the rev. I meant, I felt the need for a little more push to the accelerator before the upshift, but I guess that is a hangover from my civic.

And talking about the upshift popups, is there any setting to make it audible, like any other warning beep (how about an audible 'shift to 4', 'shift to 6', 'downshift to 3' etc. would have greatly aided to the driving experience, as one don't have to focus on the MID interface).
Don't you think the MID shouting out "Shift up to 4!" will be a nuisance while driving? Once you get used to power characteristics of the engine you will start shifting gears properly automatically. THe Civic is a typical high revving Honda petrol engine where the power is concentrated in the higher spectrum of the rpm range. Whereas the Yeti is a diesel engine and torque is available in abundance at lower rpms. You basically need to adapt your shifting pattern from the Honda petrol to the torquey diesel which are diametrically opposite in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
And lastly, the mileage, just got 11.20 kms/l from the odd 140 kms I have done so far. Though it included 45-60 mins of idling with AC on (picnic party inside), I was hoping to at least get around 15 kms/l, keeping in mind, that most of the driving are on the expressways. May be the culprit is the driving habit, as I frequently tend to revv the engine and was not quite on the right gears. I will have to try to keep using the torque factor to avoid revving for better efficiency. Any other tips?
YOu don't need to rev up diesel engines too much to be in the power band unlike your Civic. Just shift up early, don't downshift as often as you would in your Civic and see the difference.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:57   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The airbag warning light comes on if the battery leads are disconnected from the battery. It can be reset with the VCDS setup and probably the installer will do it for you. It should not come back on after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I will be worried about the airbag light always on. Please be sure to observe the changes done by installer to fix this issue.
I read in briskoda.net that it typically happens when for the glove box compartment to be removed, the airbag is deactivated using the key, and disconnected, and during that time, if the ignition key is turned ON without connecting the airbag, it leads to the airbag warning light permanently. Only way is to clear it by VAGCOM.

Anyway, that warning light is fixed today, along with the iPod coding. Now, the iPod functionality is natively available in the bolero and the MFD. If MFD is set to display the audio, I can also use the right hand side roller control (of the steering) to change to the next or previous track. It also supports USB drives to play from, but I have tried only on iPod.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-_dsc0376copy.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-_dsc0377copy.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-_dsc0378copy.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-_dsc0384copy.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-_dsc0385copy.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-_dsc0386copy.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-_dsc0388copy.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-t_dsc0387.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Don't you think the MID shouting out "Shift up to 4!" will be a nuisance while driving? Once you get used to power characteristics of the engine you will start shifting gears properly automatically. THe Civic is a typical high revving Honda petrol engine where the power is concentrated in the higher spectrum of the rpm range. Whereas the Yeti is a diesel engine and torque is available in abundance at lower rpms. You basically need to adapt your shifting pattern from the Honda petrol to the torquey diesel which are diametrically opposite in nature.

YOu don't need to rev up diesel engines too much to be in the power band unlike your Civic. Just shift up early, don't downshift as often as you would in your Civic and see the difference.
THanks for the tip! I am slowly learning to getting used to the low end torque.

I checked the idle RPM. It is at 750.
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-t_dsc0391.jpg

Last edited by iTNerd : 3rd July 2012 at 16:04.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:22   #500
BHPian

Good to hear airbag light fixed. I am impressed with this device. I will call you to get the dealer number. One question though.
What about the existing CD changer and AUX port? Are they still active or have been disabled because of this device
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:31   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Good to hear airbag light fixed. I am impressed with this device. I will call you to get the dealer number. One question though.
What about the existing CD changer and AUX port? Are they still active or have been disabled because of this device
Even I was hesitant to go for it, but they convinced me that if I was not happy with the bluetooth and ipod functionality integrated within the bolero, they'll refund it. But now, I am very much liking the phone calls with the bolero, it is sooooo awesome. I meant, when driving in traffic condition, I can simply pick the call and talk to as if the caller is sitting in the passenger side. And if I have to dial a number or contact, just use the MFD Audio section and with a click, it calls the contact. In fact, even the rear passengers can talk to the caller without any distortion in sound quality. And of course, if there were any music or radio playing, it mutes itself and comes alive again once the call is terminated. For me, it is money well spent, for the ease and elegant way of communicating through the car's audio system! And of course, the iPod/USB/Bluetooth audio integrations are bonus

The CD/AUX/SD are all enabled and works as it is.
Old 4th July 2012, 06:40   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thank you so much.
I think I shall investigate this further because I would prefer this approach rather than the other one!
Shankar, I would also highly recommend a clip-on unit as well. This is a good one that I like from Scocshe (http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-cbhsol...olar+bluetooth) - it has a solar charger built in, which automatically charges from being exposed to the sunlight when attached to the windshield, from within.

PS: If you want to try before you procure one, you are welcome to borrow one of my units - I have accumulated a few kinds over the past years!
Old 4th July 2012, 21:17   #503
BHPian

@ITNerd, could you please tell me something about the bluetooth thingy you fitted?
I'd like to fit it too. I bought my Yeti Elegance 4x4 in April this year and have done 8000 kms plus now. Did the free checkup of 7.5 K last week. They topped up the oil for me, 300 odd mills I think, 400 Rs. somethimg.
I thought you needed to fit something that goes under your driving seat and some bit of confusing rewiring.
There were no Yeti's in my corner, but now there are two other new ones I hear. Dismal figures, when compared to other vehicles, but then I guess this is not a car/vehicle that many would decide to buy.
Old 4th July 2012, 21:38   #504
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mux_usa

Shankar, I would also highly recommend a clip-on unit as well. This is a good one that I like from Scocshe (http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-cbhsol...olar+bluetooth) - it has a solar charger built in, which automatically charges from being exposed to the sunlight when attached to the windshield, from within.

PS: If you want to try before you procure one, you are welcome to borrow one of my units - I have accumulated a few kinds over the past years!
Most kind.
I saw a scosche unit today at that DRIFT shop in Koramangala. Everything is fine about it but it is very crude and full of wires all over the place. Works via the AUX port.
I really want something sleek and wireless if possible.
And I really need it badly as I m spending a lot of time in the car between meetings and can do a lot of telephoning in between.
Old 4th July 2012, 23:52   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ITNerd, could you please tell me something about the bluetooth thingy you fitted?
I'd like to fit it too. I bought my Yeti Elegance 4x4 in April this year and have done 8000 kms plus now. Did the free checkup of 7.5 K last week. They topped up the oil for me, 300 odd mills I think, 400 Rs. somethimg.
I thought you needed to fit something that goes under your driving seat and some bit of confusing rewiring.
There were no Yeti's in my corner, but now there are two other new ones I hear. Dismal figures, when compared to other vehicles, but then I guess this is not a car/vehicle that many would decide to buy.
Hi tomthump, this is what I have installed/plug-in with the bolero system - Gateway Five | iPod, iPhone, USB adapter & Bluetooth kit for car stereo. I am told this is a VW approved add-on and it is made in Hungary. It looks like a laptop harddrive in size, and is installed/hidden behind the dashboard (near the glovebox).

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-tttt.jpg
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 08:53   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys know any one selling a low mileage Yeti?
Old 6th July 2012, 09:38   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev
Guys know any one selling a low mileage Yeti?
HI Sudev
check on Olx.in - last time I checked there were 3 for sale in delhi and some in Mumbai. One of the Mumbai ones belongs to Tbhp member Screwdriva - he is upgrading to a q3.
regards
Behemoth
Old 6th July 2012, 17:50   #508
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Have been a passive watcher of this thread for a long time now. Planning to take the plunge (still thinking). Came across Screwdriva's posting on olx.in. Are there any folks who can help evaluate if this worth the asking price ? What about reliability & maintenance issues ? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Regards
Faraz
Old 6th July 2012, 19:56   #509
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz
Hello Folks,

Have been a passive watcher of this thread for a long time now. Planning to take the plunge (still thinking). Came across Screwdriva's posting on olx.in. Are there any folks who can help evaluate if this worth the asking price ? What about reliability & maintenance issues ? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Regards
Faraz
I guess I ve said a lot on this thread and others. I am glad I bought the Yeti.
I think there are a number of others on the forum who will say the same.
Suggest you trawl through the various threads on the subject and form your opinion.
It is amongst the most evolved vehicles available here today. With the discounts that can be had from dealers, it makes for a mouth watering product at an equally mouth watering deal.
Cheers and all the best in your decision.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 20:09   #510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz View Post
What about reliability & maintenance issues ? Would love to hear your thoughts.
Hi Faraz,
I DO NOT own a Yeti but can tell you that Skoda diesels, especially post 2008 models with manual transmission have had virtually zero engine, suspension and mechanical failures and the Yeti is one of them.

Moreover the 100000kms/4yrs warranty is additional peace of mind and assurance to purchase it.

I have no reason not to recommend the Yeti and I feel it will last for 7 years/2,50,000kms with regular services and upkeep in decent form.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks