Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 17:31   #616
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Hey I don't want to be alarmist but I the under body rust is concerning for a one day old car. I would take it to Skoda asap and demand an explanation. Did you check it before taking delivery and point it out to them?
Old 19th July 2012, 17:41   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober View Post
Yo, My Yeti came home yesterday evening.
While changing tyres I decided to have look at the under body .
1. I was shocked to see on the lower body rusted just in front of the rear right tyre.

Congratulations
What is the month and year of manufacture.
By the way from the photo you have put up it looks more than rust to me.
That's damage and weld!
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
4. 225/60/16 - Stock Yeti Tyres are 215/60/16 - dont you feel that this gives Skoda a reason to create warranty issues ? it would have been a better option to keep the Stock Size during the upgrade IMHO
Twinoctober mentions on another thread that it's within the permissible +/_ 2% with respect to the orginal size

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 19th July 2012 at 17:49.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:48   #618
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

What is that RUST?

I can't understand why there should be any rust on the vehicle. There wasn't any on mine when I got it!

Please take it up immediately and seriously with Hemanth and ask for an explanation.

In the PDI how come this didn't show up?

Quote:
Yo, My Yeti came home yesterday evening.

Things I did to my Yeti today morning (which I always do with a new car)

1.Changed Tyres to apollo 225 60 16
2. Headlight bulbs to Osram Night breakers 60/55 ,supposed to get 35m more throw
3. while at my friends shop he showed me original Yeti/Tiguan ORVM with turn Indicators ( looks super cool plus added saftey as yeti does not have a side turn indicator on the front fender)
4. LED DRL...didnt really need but cudnt resist after he fitted it to show me.
5.3D Kagu matts..awesome worth every penny.

While changing tyres I decided to have look at the under body .
1. I was shocked to see on the lower body rusted just in front of the rear right tyre.
2. opened the bonnet to see that the Black dampening material had some white Fluid markings ( guess its from the battery) which is going to reduce the life of the Dampening Material.

Let me upload the phone pics . Oh btw I am a professional Photographer
1. Yeti
2.underbody rust or damage
3.DRL
4.Tyre
will do the ORVM Indicator in the next post ( i am yet to shoot)

cheers guys.
Old 19th July 2012, 18:49   #619
BHPian

HI,

MFD DATE August 2011
bonnet sticker date of application 12th June 2012

I have the car for tyre change and could go down underneath to have a look.
I noticed the rust on the underbody just below the right rear back door and in front of the rear right wheel.
while inspecting at the stock yard i did not check the under body.

Tried my best to get OEM tyres but no luck in blr. so stuck to +1upsize and within the permissible limits. Feels good and can feel the height gain ,also the same bumps are more cushioned .

DRL's are direct plug and play connects to the battery. not tampering with wiring.

the ORVM is Yeti/Tiguan specific so removed the mirror and fixed the one with built in turn LED's . its looks good plus an advantage of clear turn indicator view. Also i think the glass is more convex.

ok Right now i am more worried about the RUST , have fixed an appointment with the skoda workshop guys tomorow morning.
I am also thinking what kind of PDI did skoda guys do???? didn't they see such a big area rusted ???? would like to hear their story.

What is worst case scenario???? ahhhhhh SKODA....

guess NO SLEEP tonight....
Old 19th July 2012, 18:56   #620
BHPian

Quote:
HI,

MFD DATE August 2011

ok Right now i am more worried about the RUST , have fixed an appointment with the skoda workshop guys tomorow morning.
I am also thinking what kind of PDI did skoda guys do???? didn't they see such a big area rusted ???? would like to hear their story.

What is worst case scenario???? ahhhhhh SKODA....

guess NO SLEEP tonight....
Don't worry there is 2 year RUST and PAINT Warranty, this is printed on the manual and service book, you can take this up with the service/skoda, on a second note is it a RUST, have a closer look and see if its the underbody galvanized paint? I am not sure as I am not able to make it out from the photo, have a good look but do that at service center, try to rub and see if it shows the rust or inner paint, nonetheless if its rust the service guys will need to rub it off and repaint the area with filler and all and then apply the anti rust quote.

-Pramod
Old 19th July 2012, 19:07   #621
BHPian

Pramods, thanks for that and the reassurance I too hope its Rust though on second thoughts i wonder whether the vehicle got dislodged from the lift mount at the Aurangabad factory at some point . it doesn't look like a transportation damage.

Meeting skoda guys in the morning....

All my high about the vehicle has come down ........sigh
Old 19th July 2012, 19:12   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Pramods, thanks for that and the reassurance I too hope its Rust though on second thoughts i wonder whether the vehicle got dislodged from the lift mount at the Aurangabad factory at some point . it doesn't look like a transportation damage.

Maintain the high! i so badly want to lay my hands on my yeti that slipped off from between my fingers because of Tafe@mangalore. waiting to take delivery soon from Vinayak @ Bangalore . when i got my Linea, within 48 hours i had a flooded cockpit.when i got the Vento i noticed that the lenses of the Fog lamps were wobbly. PDI oversights do happen. you wouldnt have known if at the PDI the dealer had refinished the area. am sure it isnt a major issue.
Old 19th July 2012, 19:20   #623
BANNED

Whats this part?
Because as per my vehicle the Yeti's original ORVM itself has a turn indicator.
Those external DRL's are similar to what a lot of people use in their VW's.
But somehow I have stayed away from those so far.
Cheers

Quote:
3. while at my friends shop he showed me original Yeti/Tiguan ORVM with turn Indicators ( looks super cool plus added saftey as yeti does not have a side turn indicator on the front fender)
Old 19th July 2012, 20:59   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Oh, I feel so bad about raising the alarm now, but others would have, and it is far better dealt with now than later.

I visit this thread as a dreamer. it's a superb car that I'm unlikely to be able to afford. Whether Skoda is a good choice of manufacturer, in this country is something we can have doubts about, but even knowing all this, and even knowing that their parent company does not have a great reputation either, I still went for a VW Polo. Also a great car, but not in the same league as the Yeti.

I doubt that many people, at delivery, get to take a good look at the underneath of their car, so you should think that you are lucky to be aware of a possible problem.

Whatever the dealer does about it, I suggest an independent anit-rust treatment and sealant, especially in that area, on top. It's not a bad idea anyway, to add an extra level of protection.
Old 19th July 2012, 21:27   #625
BANNED

Well I met with twinoctober about 30 min ago to check the problem and to ask his help with resetting some of the MID settings for me. Thanks buddy for doing that.

We saw the thingy under his vehicle. I think it is worth getting it checked just for peace of mind.

The same kind of stuff is there even in my vehicle in terms of the 'opening' but that rusty stuff to me looks more like the galvanized sheet as Pramod said. However, not worth taking a chance on a 20 lac machine so better to check it out at the Skoda service place.

The turn indicators which are little yellow arrow shaped LED lights neatly embedded within the mirrors are really excellent indeed. Im sure twinoctober will post pics of the same.

The tyre upsize or upgrade looks really good and I really don't think anyone will nit-pick on the non stock size issue because it is hardly even visible to the casual eye.

Thanks!
Old 19th July 2012, 21:47   #626
BHPian

2. Headlight bulbs to Osram Night breakers 60/55 ,supposed to get 35m more throw

Hey,could you please post some photos of the Osram Night Breaker's.How well do they perform.Since we cant actually fit Xenon's as they require a separate housing and healamp washer.Now,I've heard they perform remarkably similar to Xenon's.Would i face any warranty issues?
Thanks.
Old 19th July 2012, 22:16   #627
BHPian

Hey shankar, good to catch up. I feel a little better after seeing your vehicle but your is already 7 months old and mine one day....will figure out tomorow and update all of you.

the led indicator i fixed is below. Its cosmetic and safety guess during daytime as the vehicle on your Blind spot has not visual clue that you are turing if he/she misses the tip of the indiator (OEM) visible on the ORVM...me thinks!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-d.jpg  

Old 19th July 2012, 22:42   #628
BHPian

Quote:

2.underbody rust or damage
Congrats 'twinoctober' on your new acquisition. Wish you many miles of happy motoring.

BTW, that under body snap looks troublesome. It looks like a damage (in chasis...?) and shoddy patchwork (welding) to cover it. Looking at the rust, it may not have been a recent incident. Also suspicious is the mfd date of Aug '11, and bonnet sticker on June '12. What was the vehicle doing and where was it during the past 10 months - definitely a long time for a car to leave factory and land a customer.

Sorry mate, the intent is not to add to your worry, but you may want to gear for some grilling at Skoda, more so because of the reputation they carry.
alabjarus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 00:24   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
What was the vehicle doing and where was it during the past 10 months - definitely a long time for a car to leave factory and land a customer
The Yeti's are slow selling vehicles so they lie at the dealers stock yard. Thats why the huge discounts on what is with the dealer at the end of the current financial year and a few months after that.
Old 20th July 2012, 01:06   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober

the led indicator i fixed is below. Its cosmetic and safety guess during daytime as the vehicle on your Blind spot has not visual clue that you are turing if he/she misses the tip of the indiator (OEM) visible on the ORVM...me thinks!
Congrats on the new car. The Yeti looks pristine and gorgeous in white. Im sure it will get its fair share of paparazzi on the road.

The new ORVM looks cool too. Nifty little thing that indicator. The new tyres look great.

Will you be facing any warranty related issues due to manipulating the electricals i.e drls and orvm?

About the underbody thingy, just like Thad has suggested a 3m underbody treatment should also keep it protected from future problems or atleast give you some peace of mind. However advice you to oversee the process of repair when you give it to the service centre. As they may just coat the underbody with the black material and everything may look ok. So just to be sure.

P.s how about a pic with the DRLs on?

Congrats once again. Finally the yeti might manage to create new sales records. Atleast seeing quite a few of them these days. The more the better

Cheers.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks