Team-BHP - Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/92207-skoda-yeti-review-price-pictures-51.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoskooll (Post 2872480)
My Yeti's less than a month old & the squeaks are driving me crazy. I've got squeaks coming from somewhere on the instrument cluster & the speakers, i've tried the equaliser & reduced the bass to reduce the vibrations. I never drive fast on bad surfaces & i slow right down. Just clocked around 1200 kms, so the run in period is still on. I thought that the Yeti was well put together. But i've read on many international forums that japanese cars have the best rattle free squeak free cabins. I've planned to take it to Skoda and have it rectified. However i am a bit skeptical this being a small issue. If it does'nt get sorted should i take it to a reputed after market guy to install dampening material & the lot?

Hi Autoskooll,
These initial squeaks are nothing to worry about and will get sorted out easily in one visit to the workshop! The Yeti actually uses quite a lot of hard and rigid plastics and these tend to creak when they rub against each other.
I can share some pointers on how to reduce some of the squeaks/ creaks in the areas, where I did quite a bit on research and implemented on my own Yeti!

1) For the instrument cluster squeaks, they happen when the round hoods of the dials rub against the outer body of the instrument cluster. To stop the squeaks, I used very small strips of Yoga Mats (very thin strips around 2mm x 20mm size) and inserted them using a metal ruler in between the dial hoods and the surrounds. Both on the tacho side as well as speedo side (around 2-3 each side). Problem solved completely and no more squeaks ever. It is also not visible at all from anywhere.

2) Another common source of squeaks are the thermocol boxes in the boot and toolkit storage. Take out all the boxes completely and dust the entire enclosure with either boric powder or talcum powder. Also, you can place some pieces of cut yoga mats around the boxes and between the walls, to ensure that there are no squeaks from there too.

3) The next common source of squeaks/ creaks is the rubber felt type beadings on the top of the doors. The V between the groove is what makes the noise when it rubs against each other. You need to lubricate this V groove with either Teflon lubricant (which I got from a Firefox store in Gurgaon) or use a good quality Silicone grease (don't use standard grease, it can damage the rubber). Apply it on all doors in the groove and it will solve this problem.

4) Lubricate the lock mechanism of all the doors with good quality grease- it is also a source of noise sometimes.

5) For dash creaks and squeaks, spray a little WD40 into the joining edges if you can locate the source.

These measures should help make your Yeti as quiet as its supposed to be!

Regards,
Behemoth

Thanks Behemoth. I was about to ask about the door squeaks as the passenger door on my yeti has started squeaking a little. And even on my year old fabia all four doors squeak and the workshop guys could not resolve the problem during first service on fabia. Will definitely try out your suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth (Post 2873286)
5) For dash creaks and squeaks, spray a little WD40 into the joining edges if you can locate the source.

These measures should help make your Yeti as quiet as its supposed to be!

Regards,
Behemoth

Thanks a lot. I have a door squeak in the joint. But only on the driver's door. Maybe because this is the one that's used 99% of the time. The service center guys said it's because water has seeped in during one of the pressure washes at a local service center that I use for washing the body of the car once a month. I disagreed saying, if that was the case, all doors should face the problem.. The squeak still exists but I've learnt to live with it.

However, if offered a solution, I would still try it. I've heard WD40 is a degreaser and does not really assist in lubrication.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mempheS.D (Post 2873855)
Thanks a lot. I have a door squeak in the joint. But only on the driver's door. Maybe because this is the one that's used 99% of the time. The service center guys said it's because water has seeped in during one of the pressure washes at a local service center that I use for washing the body of the car once a month. I disagreed saying, if that was the case, all doors should face the problem.. The squeak still exists but I've learnt to live with it.

However, if offered a solution, I would still try it. I've heard WD40 is a degreaser and does not really assist in lubrication.

Try lubricating the door hinge with good grease. This cures most of the door opening squeak sounds. High pressure washing should not be done very frequently for cars, and ideally once in six months is enough.
Water pressure washing actually takes away the hinge grease and also most of the grease in all exposed parts, hence after every pressure wash, one should get regreasing done.
WD40 is also a lubricant and anti rust agent, with a composition similar to machine oil and dissolves grease. Don't apply it to any joints/ hinges where grease is supposed to be applied. It should only be applied to areas where the frequency and speed of movement is much less and lubrication requirements are less. I would recommend it only for lubricating some of the dash plastics.
The other use is to free up jammed mechanisms (like locking systems) and then relubricating with grease.

These discussions are going OT on this thread and I am sure these discussions can continue on the other relevant threads.

Please let us stay on the topic of the Yeti on this thread. For other new Yeti buyers please do refer my earlier thread on the Yeti ownership:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...km-driven.html
, as I had shared on how to solve many of these initial issues and would be a good reference point for new Yeti buyers.

Regards,
Behemoth

I drove a Yeti yesterday. It was a TD vehicle with ~25K on the odo. It had zero squeaks or rattles to speak of.

And is one of the first Car in which I immediately felt at home. Had a long TD of around 10+kms and loved it. My cousin is considering one, hope he buys one, so that I can drive it regularly.

And that clutch issue didn't bother me even once, despite driving in traffic and a bit of hilly roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2874304)
I drove a Yeti yesterday. It was a TD vehicle with ~25K on the odo. It had zero squeaks or rattles to speak of.

And is one of the first Car in which I immediately felt at home. Had a long TD of around 10+kms and loved it. My cousin is considering one, hope he buys one, so that I can drive it regularly.

And that clutch issue didn't bother me even once, despite driving in traffic and a bit of hilly roads.

Did you TD 4x2 or 4x4. the 4x4 has Haldex clutch which is sensitive and takes sometime to get used to. the 4x2 does not have a Haldex clutch.

How is the 110Bhp Yeti to drive? Any one got one yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagpatel (Post 2874374)
Did you TD 4x2 or 4x4. the 4x4 has Haldex clutch which is sensitive and takes sometime to get used to. the 4x2 does not have a Haldex clutch.

I drove Elegance 4X4. In Mato Brown. Should be that color if the Car is purchased as Misty Blue will take more than a month if ordered.

The top end was considered as Pajero Sports, X-Trail etc were considered, but being a self driven vehicle, preferably an MT, it is the strongest contender.

This is the Car I drove BTW>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel
How is the 110Bhp Yeti to drive? Any one got one yet?

Yes i have a 4x2 110 bhp. Before buying i also TD 4x4 and frankly speaking i did not find much diff in terms of driving a 140 bhp vs 110 bhp. I dont go off-roading so i thought 4x2 is a better option.
Apart from that the reason why i dint find diff between 4x2 and 4x4 could be
1) i took TD in the city only
2) 4x2 is about 100 kg lighter than the 4x4 variant.

While taking the TD the car didnt stall even once while i was driving but my brother stalled it just after couple of mins in to his turn of TD.
I would suggest to TD again (4x4) and drive as if you are driving your own car ( usually when we TD we tend to accelerate harder to see the potential of the car).

Sagpatel

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagpatel (Post 2874639)
I would suggest to TD again (4x4) and drive as if you are driving your own car ( usually when we TD we tend to accelerate harder to see the potential of the car).

Sagpatel

I drove the Yeti as I usually drive (my Car) and I have mentioned as well that it is the first Car in which I immediately felt home right from the word go. I didn't feel any apprehension or got worried about anything.

Its good to know that you have the 4X2 version. How is the surge compared to the 4X4?

And it is quite the opposite with few other Cars. Have driven a Liva for over 1000kms and still can't get the hang of it. Look how gingerly I am driving a Verito. And if look a bit more, you shall notice my expression in the IRVM. I am not that relaxed lol: The Yeti soothed me completely :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2874935)
I drove the Yeti as I usually drive (my Car) and I have mentioned as well that it is the first Car in which I immediately felt home right from the word go. I didn't feel any apprehension or got worried about anything.

Its good to know that you have the 4X2 version. How is the surge compared to the 4X4?

And it is quite the opposite with few other Cars. Have driven a Liva for over 1000kms and still can't get the hang of it. Look how gingerly I am driving a Verito. And if look a bit more, you shall notice my expression in the IRVM. I am not that relaxed lol: The Yeti soothed me completely :thumbs up

As I have mentioned, you will not notice the difference driving 4x2 and 4x4 at least in the city. The turbo kicks in at 1500 rpm compared to 1750 on 4x4 so there is no or minimal turbo lag. the best way to find out is have a TD of 4x2 and then decide.
I also felt home when i took the TD for the first time. one sits at a height so the front visibility is superb compared to sedans, one can see the entire hood (or at least I can). the only complaint that I have is the ORVMs, kind of small for my liking. wonder if any of the yeti owners has a solution for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagpatel (Post 2874374)

sagpatel
I have a question here
When you say haldex clutch on a Yeti 4 x 4 and which is not on the 4 x 2, then do you also mean that clutch plate, Cover Assembly mounted on the DMF is different to the one mounted on the Yeti 4 x 2 (I'm presuming that the 4 x 2 has a DMF sure it does since the Laura has it too) cos that clutch is the one we engage and dis-engage when we press and release the clutch pedal.

My thanks to Shankar Balan for calling me up following a request I sent just before I took delivery of my Mato Brown Elegance last evening.

500 kms and a tyre change (Latitude 215/65/16) later, the vehicle seems to be living up to all the promise it showed during a marathon 3-hour test drive the previous day.

All the little rub-squeaks mentioned in Behemoth's post exist in my vehicle, and are being treated as recommended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 2875356)
All the little rub-squeaks mentioned in Behemoth's post exist in my vehicle, and are being treated as recommended.

It is surprising to note that these squeaks exist in the Yeti. I thought the inside materials/plastics and quality was at par with other Skoda vehicles like the Superb/Laura. I am yet to have any annoyance on my car on this account nor have I seen any hard plastics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 2875356)
My thanks to Shankar Balan for calling me up following a request I sent just before I took delivery of my Mato Brown Elegance last evening.

500 kms and a tyre change (Latitude 215/65/16) later, the vehicle seems to be living up to all the promise it showed during a marathon 3-hour test drive the previous day.

Congrats on your Mata Brown! About 215/65/16 tyres change, the difference is 3.31%, well beyond the recommended 2%. Won't that affect the odo reading significantly and not to mention the warranty of the suspension?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile
It is surprising to note that these squeaks exist in the Yeti. I thought the inside materials/plastics and quality was at par with other Skoda vehicles like the Superb/Laura. I am yet to have any annoyance on my car on this account nor have I seen any hard plastics.

The Yeti does have some hard plastics which are not there on the Superb. Also the suspension setup on the yeti is a little taut which probably puts more stress and torsion on the body and internals. But it is well designed and these creaks are initial niggles which get sorted out quite simply. For new buyers it would make sense to drop by the workshop to get them fixed rather than enduring them as it tends to take out the fun of a new car experience. Also would recommend all new buyers to get the stock tyres changed as they are very noisy especially after they cover around 5k kms. There are quite a few options discussed on the yeti tyres thread.
@Steeroid: you are probably the first to go for the 215/65 R 16 size. Do share your feedback on how these tyres fit and perform on your Yeti.

Regards
Behemoth