Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 13:28   #781
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Sagpatel,

The mileage of 17 which you got is quite good and it will be in this range of 17-18. You can expect some improvement in the mileage after the initial 5000 kms as the engine will have run in fully and frictional losses reduce.
Also, the AC load plays a significant role in the mileage and can increase/ reduce the mileage by +/- 10%. In summers or humid weather, the mileage will be less as the AC will run more. In winter, in cooler temperatures, the ac will run much less and your Yeti will deliver higher mileage.
To get best mileage from your Yeti, you can try driving with the instantaneous mileage display and keep it below 5L/ 100 Km.
The best mileage I can get on my Yeti (4x4, 140) is 4.8L/ 100 Km when I drive at around 85-90km/hr in 5th gear. I have also seen that 6th is less efficient at this speed.
In mixed city driving in Gurgaon (60:40 City:highway) I get around 6L/ 100km which is around 16.6 kmpl average overall.

Regards,
Behemoth
Thanks Behemoth, May be I am just being over skeptical. I will experiment a bit (like driving without AC, trying to maintain 2000 rpm etc) and check the mileage.
Old 21st August 2012, 18:08   #782
BHPian

Hi

The mobile no of Rajiv who the sales manager is 9234682611. He said they do not have the Elegance model in stock right now.

Has anybody checked the spare tyre specifications? The one I saw in the showroom had a bright yellow sticker saying max speed 80km/hr. None of the older cars had such a limitation. To me it looked thinner too but I forgot to check the details.

I downloaded the Yeti PDF file and it clearly mentions the engine protection. It is a standard feature for all variants. So you are right ITNERD. Thanks for the info.

Carcrazy60
Old 21st August 2012, 21:15   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

We are offered Skoda Shield + Insurance + Rs. 10,000 cash discount on Mato Brown Elegance 4X4. Should we take this up?

I have them for VIN, lets see as to when they respond.
It is totally up to your comfort. As for the year of manufacture, there are a few 2012 cars available so bargain accordingly.
Old 22nd August 2012, 06:25   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Hi

The mobile no of Rajiv who the sales manager is 9234682611. He said they do not have the Elegance model in stock right now.

Has anybody checked the spare tyre specifications? The one I saw in the showroom had a bright yellow sticker saying max speed 80km/hr. None of the older cars had such a limitation. To me it looked thinner too but I forgot to check the details.

I downloaded the Yeti PDF file and it clearly mentions the engine protection. It is a standard feature for all variants. So you are right ITNERD. Thanks for the info.

Carcrazy60
Visit my Thread and on Page 4, you will find the Vehicle Datasheet that i obtained from erwin.skoda-auto.com, giving my VIN Number which gives in detail the components which have gone into my Yeti.

The Spare wheel is a Space Saver, Contipremium Contact Tyre, 195/60/16. since this is Space Saving Spare tyre, the speed limitation would exist to maintain stability, and thats why you find that sticker. the Older cars had this limitation too, but the sticker wasnt there in quite a few!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
It is totally up to your comfort. As for the year of manufacture, there are a few 2012 cars available so bargain accordingly.
2012 Cars in Elegance ? better Check if the Dealer is taking you on a wild Goose Chase. Though i Must admit, even though my Car is a 2011 June Manufactured one, the RC mentions the same as Jan 2012!

Last edited by Sunilrj : 22nd August 2012 at 06:27.
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:47   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
2012 Cars in Elegance ? better Check if the Dealer is taking you on a wild Goose Chase. Though i Must admit, even though my Car is a 2011 June Manufactured one, the RC mentions the same as Jan 2012!
It is a sad story.
I had given up buying Yeti because I couldn't get a 2012 model. On Friday last, just visited the stockyard to see what best was available. I found one white Yeti of Feb 2012 (from the VIN). The dealer was surprised as they thought they had nothing beyond Oct 2011. I booked it on Saturday. With the chasis number on the receipt.

On Monday went to them with loan papers. And then a bummer!
Manager tells me this car is already allotted to someone else.How was that possible if till Sat they had no idea that they had a 2012 model in their stock. We had an idea that after they came to know about that 2012 model, other showrooms were scrambling for it. We blasted the manager and walked out. The manager is an avid follower of this forum. I know he was acting on his bosses command and that our blasting should not be taken by him personally. It was more meant for the dealer as a business unit.

About the date sticker on the bonnet, I found few cars where the sticker date was older than the one on the VIN. So that sticker is not really the date of assembly. It is just the date on which the paper was applied on the bonnet, just to get an idea when the glue would go out. The sticker is pasted on the bonnet sometime and then later attached to the body so there is no real way of finding the assembly date. All you can say is that it didn't happen before the sticker date.

Moral of the story - get everything in writing, esp things about which you are particular.

Now this is not just Skoda. A colleague of mine had a similar experience with his Altis. His disadvantage was that he is not too into cars and trusted whatever the dealer said.

Last edited by fi.robin : 22nd August 2012 at 10:00.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:22   #786
BHPian

^ Forgot to add - the whole story was about the Elegance model.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:41   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

We are offered Skoda Shield + Insurance + Rs. 10,000 cash discount on Mato Brown Elegance 4X4. Should we take this up?

I have them for VIN, lets see as to when they respond.
A friend got this for 18.45 OTR here at Kerala. TBHPian too. Lets see if he does post review about it though.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:46   #788
Team-BHP Support

Err, my cousin has got a bit adventurous and plans to check out the X1. I as usual am game
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:02   #789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Err, my cousin has got a bit adventurous and plans to check out the X1. I as usual am game
This is a good time to push for heavy discounts on the X1 since it isn't selling too much, and the facelift is due soon.

Sorry for the OT.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:30   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
Hi tomthump, this is what I have installed/plug-in with the bolero system - Gateway Five
Sorry, iTNerd, for not replying. I saw your advice just now.
Could you also tell me where you bought it from? I am sorry if I'm asking you to repeat something you've already posted...if so just tell me where to look.
Old 1st September 2012, 18:52   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
A friend got this for 18.45 OTR here at Kerala. TBHPian too. Lets see if he does post review about it though.
Wasnt planning to, but here we go since YOU requested:

Vehicle: Yeti Elegance Mato Brown (VIN shows 2011, and every other Skoda dealer I've been to seem to have only the 2011 vehicles)

Bought: 17th August

Dealer: St. Antony's Automobiles, Cochin

OTR Price: 18.45 incl Skoda Shield

ODO as of yesterday: 4,200 kms

Changes to vehicle as delivered:
1. Michelin Latitude Tour HP 215/65/16 swapped for the OE Goodyears
2. 3M Film on front windshield
3. 3M Paint Protection
4. Yeti Front Mud-flaps
5. Yeti boot cargo mat

Quick impressions:

1. Stuck to a self-imposed 2 - 2.5k rpm limit for the first 1k kms. Gradually opened out thereafter, hit 5k (limit) a couple of days back.

2. Most of the power is in the mid-range. Revving to the limit wont give you matching returns as you would get in say, the Elantra (my previous car, which came alive at higher revs) or the Cruze (same engine as in Elantra, diff state of tune). For best results, use the 6-speed gearbox intelligently and keep your vehicle between 2,000 - 3,500. You dont need to use the range beyond that.

3. The vehicle is very stable at speed (Max 170 kmph so far) and yet extremely chuckable in traffic or while dodging potholes on really bad roads. Rare combination.

4. Clutch takes getting used to. I had several stalls in the beginning, but not many of late.

5. Mileage in the first couple of '000 kms was about 11 kmpl. Last tankful showed a drastic improvement to 13.5 kmpl. With my driving style, I dont expect it to go significantly over this.

6. Suspension noise does intrude into the cabin. It sounds rough, but the suspension does its job beautifully as the vehicle does not budge from its horizontal position - the wheel travel on this vehicle is quite incredible for its size.

7. Havent gone off-road much in this, but the little bit of mud-crawling I had to do gives me a lot of confidence in this vehicle's ability to tackle the terrain. It never lost grip on any wheel during a 1/2 km transit through red clay that had turned into a bog due to the late monsoons.

8. Plastic-on-plastic squeaks can be heard from the few locations identified by Behemoth, Shankar and some others. It pissed you off big time sometimes.

9. Middle seat at the rear is not very usable. Have to do something about the protruding a/c duct, but for now I'm happy with 4 seats. We did a comfortable trip from Bangalore with 4 adults and lots of luggage (2 full-size suitcases, 3 cabin-sized, 2 backpacks). Enough for long trips with the family, then.

10.The vehicle is a superb cruiser - at 165 kmph, the tacho was hovering at around 2,700 rpm on 6th.

11. Could go on like this all day, because there is very little driver fatigue. Goa to Bangalore via Ponda/Belgaum/NH4 took 6.5 hrs (Nelamangala) without having to break a sweat. Therefore decided not to break journey as originally intended, and carried on all the way to Cochin in one stretch. Even at that point, there was zero body fatigue, though the eyes were shot after the night drive in the rain.

For the moment, this vehicle seems to be a most practical choice - it can:
1. Cruise comfortably and is very stable and handleable at very high speeds
2. Be chucked around in traffic like a hatch
3. Take bad roads and seems to have decent off-roadability
4. Cross decent-sized obstacles with a ground clearance = Scorpio
5. Carry a decent amount of luggage (dont plan any accessories - luggage space is very decent if used intelligently)
6. Carry you in a certain amount of comfort

Minuses (other than mentioned above):
1. The Yeti likes mud - as in, it likes to cover itself in mud. Especially on the lower halves of the doors (despite the mudflaps) and the rear where the muck accumulates.

2. No bluetooth, iPod kit, powered ORVMs or auto headlamps. At 20.5 lakhs (before discount) this is not done, especially when the euro-spec elegance has all of this and then some more.

3. Skoda service still a concern, until proven otherwise.

Last edited by Steeroid : 1st September 2012 at 19:01.
Steeroid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:59   #792
BHPian

Thanks Steeroid. Short and Precise. The vehicle is a good mixture of highway/Off road terrain and city rider. I drove 180 on my recent trip and it felt very stable. I too owned safari before While safari has its own charm and drive, yeti is sure an upgrade (especially when i realized i don't need a vehicle as big as safari )
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:58   #793
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

I think quite a few guys have got themselves the 4X2 version, but I believe I am yet to see an ownership thread. It would be nice to read the comments especially the comparison with the Elegance trim.

Thanks

_________________________________________-

We are confused as to from which state to buy the Car from. W.B. has Mato Brown, but we have to pay 1L more (taxes). Dealer @ Patna is promising it by the end of this month for the Aqua Mist (original choice). Shall up-date
Old 4th September 2012, 12:43   #794
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Yeti Problems & solutions thread

Thought it would be helpful for all Yeti owners here to share problems faced.
I've been a bit lazy and should have put this up earlier. Didn't want to do it on Pramods thread so starting a new one though I'm not used to writing a lot.

Brand New Yeti 4x4 done 12960 kms in 3 months on 24th July 12 I noticed that the gear indictaor display on the MID wasn't showing since the clutch pedal wasn't returning to the top, especially after a period of rest. It would come up only if I pumped it like bleeding the air in the brake hydraulics.
Skoda Assistance sent a flat bed and Yeti was sent to JMD Bhandup on Sat 28 July. Master Cyl supposedly changed on July 30 and delivery was promised on 31 July.
Got a call that the car is ready and will be washed and to come in two hours to collect.
In 10 mins I got another call from SA that the same problem has surfaced again. They will open up the GB/bell housing and check the slave cyl and clutch (when they mentioned clutch I goot a bit worried).

Then on Aug 2nd got a call saying they are looking into it, on 3rd got a call that slave is leaking an approval sought from skoda and part ordered. O
n the 4th I visited, he mentioned that skoda is closed on saturday. So on monday he said part is ordered and approval to come. Approval came next day and he said part would come by noon and 1 day to fit.
On wed he said bearing approved and part has come, but now waiting for approval of and breather pipe part. Which I presume to be the pipe that leads to the bearing slave cyl from outside the bell housing or maybe a pipe from the slave cyl to release air in the fluid.

On Sat 11/8 got delivery at about noon. Later in the evening I noticed that the reverse sensor and reverse light were not working. Called up SA who didnt answer so then sent a sms to him. Received a reply from him on 13/8 to bring the car in anytime. Later I went to check the car with a torch to see if they had not pluged in the socket into the switch on GB. What I found was some wires had been eaten by a rat and one of the looms was taped up with BHOR Steelgrip. I handn't noticed this earlier but was sure this was done by JMD workshop either before delivery when they checked the vehicle as this might have happened in the stockyard. Or this was done the in the 14 days at JMD workshop during the clutch fluid leakage. Later realised since the mechanics were fooling around with this section they knew about it. When they fixed the lights I enquired. Got some different replies, one of them being maybe it happened at your place it self. I expalined to the dude that had it been at my place it wouldnt have been taped up...right? They then said they were surprised it happened, since it's never happend here before. Anyway told them I didn't like the wire they used and will give them some better wire during the first service and that they need to redo this.

On 16/8 got a call from Skoda JMD regarding the service complaint attended to.

I kept Skoda India informed all throughout this two week process. Skoda India was a good experience and heard me out each time , the flat bed truck came at 9 am as they said it would. The dealer was polite whenever I spoke to them or visited. Only I wasn't happy about the rat eating up the wires. The time period was a too long, apparently the dealer has to inform Skoda India at each step and only when approval has been sanctioned by them can they change the part/s or deliver the vehicle.
I learned that the Yeti has a DMF flywheel just like my old magnum. But what the magnum clutch plate didn't have was springs on it, the yeti CP has this. This DMF is going to be costly some day when the clutch plate wears out. Also realised that since the underneath has a plate, the fluid was collecting there and I was not able to see any leakage in the parking space. Had this cover not been there and fluid fell to the ground I'd have know what the problem was in the initial stage itself. Had a good look at the 4WD unit and the prop shaft and figured this clutch replacement will take longer and be more troublesome than it will on the 2WD version.

Other than the Aircon issues and a little noise from the dash, like Promod's Yeti leaking oil from the turbo this too seems to be a rare case haven't seen it mentioned on Briskoda either. I'm putting this down to rubber perishing due to vehicle standing with dealer at the stockyard for too long a period of time.
Driven about 1 K km after that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, seems like a problem with either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder of the clutch This is the first case of this kind I am coming across for the Yeti - even on Briskoda you will not find any failures of this type on the Yeti.
Do keep us posted.
Regards,
Behemoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerohead View Post
Yes, I saw the clutch issue you faced, but hadn't realized it was because of standing vehicle in stockyard. Hope it gets taken good care of within the warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhead View Post
Im sorry to hear about your clutch issue and thanks a lot for your note! ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have not come across this at all. I don't generally keep the clutch depressed and the vehicle in gear when in stand still traffic or even at a traffic light, much preferring to engage first gear only when the lights change and then move away. find that the clutch generally lasts much much longer.
Hope that trend continues in the Yeti too.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 15:45   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Some interesting developments from the China market. Skoda is planning to launch a modified version of the Yeti for the China market and it is the first time that a website "auto.sohu.com" has snapped some spy pics of the variant being tested. From what I have heard, it will be an extended wheelbase version (around 60 mm longer wheelbase). From the spy pics, it also looks as if the spare will move to the tailgate and the tailgate too may be a side swinging instead of a top opening one.
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-yeti1.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-yeti2.jpg

Name:  Yeti3.jpg
Views: 5310
Size:  15.8 KB

However, this is a spy pic and one can't judge on the accuracy, as it could be an attempt at hiding the real design elements.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th September 2012 at 15:46.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks