Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 01:43   #91
Senior - BHPian

Wonderfully detailed review there!

What strikes me about the Yeti is the attention to detail on many parts.Feels really good on the effort taken to design it properly and thoroughly.Infact the number of negatives in this review is quite low.

I love that wood trim,the shade of it,complements the interior so perfectly and gives it a more upmarket feel.

I dont think this car will be a flop.You have define flop for the yeti because it hardly has any competition.i am guessing a 150-200 units/month sales and that will include 20-30 prospective Laura customers too.
Old 17th November 2010, 01:47   #92
Team-BHP Support

Great review guys, and brilliant pics.

I too feel this will do well in the market, because there are many people who want something, with a little more space than a sedan, maybe higher seating too, but want the vehicle to drive like a sedan. This is perfect for those people and I expect it to do well, since the Elegance version has lots and lots of goodies for its price.

I sat in one for a few minutes, and I thought it should have been a slight bit wider. But the legroom was fine, enough for average people. And that gearshift, just brilliant.

Hopefull the DSG, power seats, xenons and panoramic roof make it here on the L&K. Now that will be a great buy. Also if it comes with the 170bhp tune.

Personally I liked the brown colour the most. Its got a nice contrast with the aluminium and the black. And the Yeti stands out with that colour.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th November 2010 at 01:48.
Old 17th November 2010, 02:28   #93
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Puddle lights in my Laura are on the inner wall of the front doors - so I can check the ground before getting down in the dark and traffic from behind can see that I am pulled over with doors open. Not sure how they could possibly serve their purpose if mounted on the bottom of the outside mirrors! Strange!!!
Puddle lights on new Laura are under mirror + inside panel of door. For the purpose that you have mentioned and to show the ground (mud, slush, stones, etc.) when you are outside the car in a dark area. The mirror puddle lights come on when the car is unlocked. The door panel lights come on only when door is opened.
Old 17th November 2010, 02:37   #94
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like technically its an excellent car (sorry SUV). Reminds me so much of the Subaru Forester.

Big problem for me is (similar to Aria)...what image does it project? Not Macho like Fortuner, Safari, not sophisticated like Outlander or X1 or CRV.

Its a playful/cheeky/geeky design.... OK for 3 lakh Nano or 4 lakh Beat not a 20 lakh car where prestige is important.

Suddenly the Xtrail is looking mature and grown up.

That aside, 4x4 could have been made optional so that price is a little more competetiv and FWD DSG should have been offered.
Quote:
The first thing you notice when you see the Yeti in person is that it definitely looks smaller than pictures would suggest. With its 180mm ground clearance, it is more like a tall-boy station-wagon than a shrunk-down SUV.
I see a Tiguan every now and then and the first thing that comes my mind is. "Hey is that the new Golf...looks so jacked up !!"

Last edited by Mpower : 17th November 2010 at 02:42.
Old 17th November 2010, 08:23   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Sounds like technically its an excellent car (sorry SUV). Reminds me so much of the Subaru Forester.

Big problem for me is (similar to Aria)...what image does it project? Not Macho like Fortuner, Safari, not sophisticated like Outlander or X1 or CRV.

Its a playful/cheeky/geeky design.... OK for 3 lakh Nano or 4 lakh Beat not a 20 lakh car where prestige is important.
+ 1 to this very logical perception.

In India Toyota/Honda =premium, so how come a car (or SUV or whatever) from an already messed up up brand competing with fortuner will sell in India ? Same price range same target audience.

Any guesses for stabilised sales fig. above 300 or no.
Is it another excellent product failing due to wrong pricing ?

Cheers
P.S Mods can we add a poll here or in separate thread for expected sales ?
Old 17th November 2010, 08:25   #96
Team-BHP Support

Did Skoda guys mention anything about the TSI version of the Yeti?
Are there any dates? 1.2 or 1.8 TSI?
Old 17th November 2010, 09:36   #97
RKM

Thanks, Rehaan, for the excellent and very exhaustive review of the Yeti, and the great pictures. And very timely too - you posted right after the launch! I was waiting eagerly for this one. Ever since my wife and I happened to see the Autocar Show on TV in September this year, this car has been in the forefront of our minds, and in fact for the first time in our lives my wife actually said 'I like this car'! (Apologies, we are not anywhere close to all the enthusiasts here).

Your review almost makes me feel as if I have seen the car for myself, and definitely there are many inputs a person like me would never be able to gather or to understand by himself. Just a few days ago I came across another thread on this forum, most probably 'Skoda Yeti - The Crossover SUV', where everyone was discussing the impending launch and possible attributes and pricing points of the Yeti, and so your review serves to put all further speculation to rest.

In fact, yesterday's DNA newspaper reports that company has already received 1000 pre-orders fro the Yeti! I guess there must be many previleged persons who know all about the car even before its launch and wish to lose no time in getting one for themselves before the rush begins. But will I buy one? Let us see. Even though I am sure to like the physical/tangible attributes of the car, two aspects make me hesitate - i) your mention about the perceptible engine sound (in that case why shouldn't I choose the Scorpio, if my car will still sound like one?) and ii) the Skoda A S S horror stories that I see on this forum.

Regards

RKM
Old 17th November 2010, 10:30   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Seems like a great package for the price. Given he cost of keeping this car beyond the warranty period, personally, I would never consider a Skoda. It makes sense for businessmen who can write of depreciation in 4 years and sell the car before extended warranty expires.

However, between the Yeti & Santa Fe, it should hopefully put some pressure on Toyota to add some Kit to the Fortuner.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:38   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
The boot is smaller because the length of the car is shorter than Laura.

Both coming from VW Golf platform, I feel the Laura is the extended boot stretched notch-back variant of Golf and Yeti is the jacked up and raised Golf, so effectively making it a hatchback on stilts urban vehicle which hints at its compact dimensions.

As far as eating up of Laura sales, I feel there will be cross selling of products, the market of which it will carve out of Laura itself and won't be a sales blockbuster like Fortuner. The advantages of Yeti over Laura being 4X4 transmission, raised suspension and compact dimensions which is such a bonus in city conditions, more appreciated by repeat customers in entry luxury segment than the new ones due to having understood the difficulties in managing the large size due to congested spaces. But then again, DSG option would have been more ideal to make it more urban.

Laura offers more space on the inside, comparatively better drive due to not-so-raised suspension (has been done marginally due to rough road package India demands) IMO, equivalent equipment at a slightly lesser price and last but not the least, though this point is a very minor one in the market space but important in T-Bhp, entry into the famed 1.8TSI engine.
The Yeti will cater to a different breed of customers and not necessarily the ones who are looking for an out-right sedan. However, there are people who are ready to trade their sedans for a slightly perched SUV. A car that offers sedan like space and comfort whilst being able to cover broken-ground; something that a sedan will struggle doing. And that's where the Yeti comes in.

Skoda would have hit the nail on the head if they had offered some key features that might be the deciding factor for many, for example, the DSG 'box, electrically-adjustable seats, xenon-HIDs, etc.

I'm a little taken aback when I heard that the space it offers inside is lesser than the Laura! That's a dampener! When you spend 20 lakhs, you expect it to be as spacious as a mid-size sedan, at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Great review guys, and brilliant pics.

I too feel this will do well in the market, because there are many people who want something, with a little more space than a sedan, maybe higher seating too, but want the vehicle to drive like a sedan. This is perfect for those people and I expect it to do well, since the Elegance version has lots and lots of goodies for its price.

I sat in one for a few minutes, and I thought it should have been a slight bit wider. But the legroom was fine, enough for average people. And that gearshift, just brilliant.

Hopefull the DSG, power seats, xenons and panoramic roof make it here on the L&K. Now that will be a great buy. Also if it comes with the 170bhp tune.

Personally I liked the brown colour the most. Its got a nice contrast with the aluminium and the black. And the Yeti stands out with that colour.

I love that shade of brown on it.

And as I've mentioned earlier, it comes across as the perfect car in many ways! I'm a little disappointed about the space it offers on the inside, but I guess we can deal with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we find the Yeti parked in our garage a year o so from now!
Old 17th November 2010, 10:51   #100
RKM

Just a little while ago I saw Rehaan's post with a photograph showing the Yeti parked next to a Nano. Well, well! Makes one think twice about calling it even a crossover SUV. No wonder people are saying it looks like an overgrown Fabia!

Another grouse - Why do so many car manufacturers neglect proper foot placement for the rear middle passenger? Straddling a raised transmission tunnel or rear AC Controls/cup/bottle holders for long periods causes discomfort to the other passengers as well and only serves to discourage buyers who may be looking to seat five persons comfortably at least sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arethusa View Post
A chevrolet cruze has almost all the features found on this one if I am not mistaken. Agreed that there are definitely some more user friendly features and a 4WD that puts it at a premium but I still feel it could have been positioned a bit lower down in the price range.

Anyways, I shall probably wait and see if they happen to go the Fabia way...trimming down later and pricing it lower.

Since it is not a true blue offroader, I would also wait to see if a 2WD option is introduced! Would make more sense as it would keep the price low and in any case the size and GC do not permit serious off roading.
Agree with you, arethusa. Very valid point.

RKM
Old 17th November 2010, 11:18   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
How is the handling of the vehicle at low/medium/higher speeds ? Is there perceptible body roll/under-over steer or does it handle neutrally ?
The handling is well composed and body roll is very controlled too. GTO mentioned that there are some sedans that have more bodyroll than the Yeti!

We didn't experience any under/over-steer, but to be fair, we didn't get the chance to push very hard on our usual uphill ghat sections during this drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Who in the review team noticed the above? My God, this is observation of the highest order.
When you put a bunch of hardcore car guys in a car for a full day, and talk about pretty much nothing other than the car, and then come home and look at pictures and write about the car for the next few days - discoveries like this are par for the course

Though i should add to that point that the puddle lights are useful when approaching / getting into the car, but not when exiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
....traffic from behind can see that I am pulled over with doors open. Not sure how they could possibly serve their purpose if mounted on the bottom of the outside mirrors! Strange!!!
The Yeti has a separate set of lights for this. See the red light here :

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Do you think that the Yeti will eat into the Laura's sales? Considering that they are priced so closely?
Yes, there is bound to be some cross-shopping here (especially since so many factors (eg. interiors) are pretty much the same on both).
Think of it this way - for people looking for something in this segment, there are now TWO reasons to go to the Skoda showroom instead of just one! Couldn't hurt.

Quote:
What about the L&K? Is it in the pipeline or is it available at all?
I haven't heard any sort of official confirmation - perhaps others have?
I'd say it is a logical step, but dependent on if the sales match or better the expected figures.

Quote:
How much of a driver's car is it?
Turn-in is eager and direct (though theres no feedback), mid-range is really solid and linear, visibility is good, brakes are good, body roll is controlled. Its great fun to throw around, or even nip around traffic in at medium speeds. I thoroughly enjoyed driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Ouch, that Nano vs Yeti picture was a shocker. I thought it's bigger than that. So can't expect it to be any bigger than the Swift. Got to book a TD anyway.
Take a look at the CRV comparison pic on the first page too!
Its way bigger than a swift!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th November 2010 at 11:32.
Old 17th November 2010, 11:22   #102
BHPian

Great review - highlights the details that one wants to know well.

Can't get over the 'ajeeb' looks of this one though :(
Old 17th November 2010, 11:35   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You have highlighted an excellent point. I sometimes feel this is the most important aspect on which customers base their decision. "How it looks". I have been trying to convince my wife to go for Aria over Captiva/Fortuner/SantaFe, but she has rejected it outright due to the (MUV-ish) looks.

Yeti needs a highly sophisticated, knowledgeable buyer to appreciate the car. The average customer needs to be 'educated' about Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
However, between the Yeti & Santa Fe, it should hopefully put some pressure on Toyota to add some Kit to the Fortuner.
+1 to that.

Hope Mahindra too equips their new SUV on lines of the recent launches (Aria, Santa Fe, Yeti).

Rehaan,
Excellent review. Rated 5 stars. You seem to be having a photo as answer for every query. Who needs the auto magazines now, when we have reviews like these.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:09   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The Smaller yet Significant things:

You need to press the clutch to start the car, it even tells you so

Real time fuel consumption on the MFD (you can set your preferred units).
It shows l/h (liters per hour) when idling - very cool

A neat little clear plastic piece can hold your toll ticket or parking slip

Button below the RVM toggles the auto-dimming function for all 3 mirrors

Pointy corner on the front window glass

Tweeter housing and electric mirror adjustments (including defogging feature for the ORVMs)

An elastic string on both door pockets keeps tall magazines, newspapers and maps firmly strapped against the door

Extremely useful bag hooks on each of the two B Pillars. Further, both the rear grab handles have a bag hook too (thus making it a total of 4 bag hooks in the middle row).

2 interior lights above the B-pillar on each side let you individually select whether to turn them on, and whether or not to have them automatically turn on when the door is opened

The storage compartment below the rear AC vents is big enough for a couple of cell phones

All 3 rear seats have a retractable bungee hook to hold them firmly in place when flipped forward

When trying to open the rear hatch it takes a considerable amount of effort to get past the first few inches of movement. Has a handle for pulling down

12v socket, slide-and-lock hooks, a storage shelf and a quick fastner clipping onto stray objects.
Thats not all, the Yeti even comes with some net bags and pouches to string between the hooks.

In addition to a first aid and safety kit Yeti owners get this replacement kit. 7 types of bulbs and a multitude of extra fuses!
These may be small, but they are quite significant alright! Very nice touches; especially the elastic string on the door-pockets meant to hold loose papers/maps/magazines, etc., the neat little plastic bit on the RHS corner of the windscreen meant to hold the parking slip/toll ticket.

Although I'm no stranger to the versatility of the Yeti (the Jazz is very similar when it comes to small yet useful storage-compartments and the various hooks for bags), it's nice to see them on a larger car! I quite like the 3-point seat-belt for the 5rd passenger. (with reference to the previous post and picture) A very interesting feature!

But what's with the retro-pointy corners of the front-windows?
Old 17th November 2010, 12:18   #105
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

going by this pic with the tallbaby nano, it leads me to believe the Skoda Yeti is roughly comparable with the erstwhile Subaru Forester.

The only time I saw the Yeti was a couple months ago in the UK and from a distance - hence I am now quite confused. At that time it looked almost as big as an X Trail.

Need to pop over to the Skoda shop and check it out i think.

GC at 180mm is the same as the Scorpio so I would have less worries on handling bad roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Just to clarify - ground clearance is more than adequate on bad roads, its just that it doesn't have SUV like GC. They are different beasts.I was going to add this to the original post later today. I think it should clear any doubts you might have about the size!

Attachment 454051

cya
R

Most Viewed