Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 17:26   #1156
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Okay, so you end up loosing something! There are Pioneer HUs for Skoda, such as the ones mentioned here: http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25.../overview.html. They're too expensive to purchase and have them shipped to India. What about Witson HUs compared to Caska, are they both of the same class? Else you'd be better off installing a separate single din HU in the space above the gear stick.

Tell me why do you need to Change the Head unit ? AFAIK the Active and Ambition variants come with 'Skoda Swing' Audio Players. The Ambition Variant have Park Sensors at the rear whereas the Active Variant Do not. i do not understand the Logic of Going in for Caska / witson/Pioneer
Old 7th January 2013, 19:35   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Tell me why do you need to Change the Head unit ? i do not understand the Logic of Going in for Caska / witson/Pioneer
How else would you be able to add amplifiers and a sub? How about features like ipod integration, USB and GPS?

The stock HU also has limited audio tuning options.

These are the reasons for an HU upgrade.
Old 7th January 2013, 22:59   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How else would you be able to add amplifiers and a sub? How about features like ipod integration, USB and GPS?

The other option is to add a processor to the stock head unit. However one would still not have option to play USB with it, IPod though is possible. Most importantly vast improvement in Sound Quality.
Old 8th January 2013, 06:06   #1159
BHPian

Quote:

Amplifiers and a Sub ???? Well The Moment these go into your Car, you would have to draw a separate line from the battery to power these and also skin, splice a few wires, whereby your warranty would go for a Six! Also the Skoda ECU's are a bit crazy. As soon as something that is not from their family is attached they start throwing up errors, as well as the Interventional Load Management System Keeps popping up during Scans. And spliced / skinned wires in a Skoda are very dangerous as the wires start behaving according to their will randomly shutting down the engine, electricals etc!

Ipod Integration can be done through the Stock MDI Add-on Unit that costs about 30K. This would also provide USB functionality. This upgrade can be performed on a Bolero. GPS you would have to use Map my India or the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
The other option is to add a processor to the stock head unit. However one would still not have option to play USB with it, IPod though is possible. Most importantly vast improvement in Sound Quality.
Processor or any upgrade which alters the stock wiring setup is NOT RECOMENDED UNLESS you have about 5 lakhs to spare to go in for an entire wiring harness replacement
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 08:55   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amplifiers and a Sub ???? Well The Moment these go into your Car, you would have to draw a separate line from the battery to power these and also skin, splice a few wires, whereby your warranty would go for a Six! Also the Skoda ECU's are a bit crazy. As soon as something that is not from their family is attached they start throwing up errors, as well as the Interventional Load Management System Keeps popping up during Scans. And spliced / skinned wires in a Skoda are very dangerous as the wires start behaving according to their will randomly shutting down the engine, electricals etc!
Well this depends on how you perform the wiring. There wouldnt be any issues if you're drawing directly from the battery. The point to note is NOT to simply tap power from any "positive" lead or fuse box which would create the problems you've mentioned.

Quote:
Ipod Integration can be done through the Stock MDI Add-on Unit that costs about 30K. This would also provide USB functionality. This upgrade can be performed on a Bolero. GPS you would have to use Map my India or the like.
What I'm trying to avoid here is a device sprawl!

Quote:
Processor or any upgrade which alters the stock wiring setup is NOT RECOMENDED UNLESS you have about 5 lakhs to spare to go in for an entire wiring harness replacement
Stock wiring would not be altered if you use the correct adaptors. However, its not worth it as there would be too many devices inline, ruining the sound quality. The best option is to take the "pre-outs" from the Bolero unit.

What's the point in buying a car, after spending so much money, you cant enjoy it the way you want to! Its just like you site before your favorite dish but you're asked NOT to eat it!

Last edited by nitinbose : 8th January 2013 at 08:58.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:30   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Well this depends on how you perform the wiring. There wouldnt be any issues if you're drawing directly from the battery. The point to note is NOT to simply tap power from any "positive" lead or fuse box which would create the problems you've mentioned.

What I'm trying to avoid here is a device sprawl!

Stock wiring would not be altered if you use the correct adaptors. However, its not worth it as there would be too many devices inline, ruining the sound quality. The best option is to take the "pre-outs" from the Bolero unit.

What's the point in buying a car, after spending so much money, you cant enjoy it the way you want to! Its just like you site before your favorite dish but you're asked NOT to eat it!
To each his own! but since i have been extensively involved with Skoda and have been in touch with the senior Management at SAIPL as regards fitment of Non-OE accessories. here is their take reproduced from a mail from them:

"And with regards to your communication concerning warranty terms, we agree with your views that as long as these accessories fitments do not really interfere with the electrical or mechanical systems. While having the fitments of Skoda Genuine Accessories, the customer should not have any elements of doubts and we expect our dealers staff to promote such fitments. "

Here is a Message recieved from Skoda CZECH on the query raised by me on behalf of a friend on retro fitment of Skoda Columbus Head Unit:

Dear Mr. Gonsalves,

From our former colleague Mr. Kutnar and also through our INFO LINE channel, we have received your email in which you inform us about your intention to Fix a Skoda Columbus Head Unit

We have discussed this theme with our technicians and we can confirm the statement of SAIPL that Skoda Auto do not recommend such additional fitting of YETI (because of many technical risks and possible procedural error). We do not offer this retrofit within the Skoda genuine accessories for YETI cars.

Nevertheless, should you decide to make this adjustment on your car, it shall be at your own risk (nevertheless, there is many further steps to reach a successful retrofitting)

Please consider carefully our opinion.

Yours faithfully,

Pavlina KNEBLOVA
Customer care/Kundenbetreuung
SKODA AUTO a.s.
Czech Republic

i have also been to the A.S.S. on several occasions to Trouble shoot Certain issues with Laura / Yeti / Rapid/ superb, which the A.S.S. was not able to identify. In The course of my Examination of the Vehicles, i have found that in the case of a Laura, the power windows were not working, the Central Locking System was not working, the Instrument Cluster Lights used to come on and go off automatically etc etc. On closer examination and on asking the A.S.S. to dismantle the Power Supply / Fuse Unit, i saw something shocking. an Aftermarket Installer who is in the business for more than 20 Years, had tapped the Main Supply line by Skinning it and Spliced it to the Power Supply of the Amplifier. The VAS 5051 which is being used at the A.S.S. was not showing any error, but the VCDS that i use, showed 'Short to Ground' 'Open Circuit' errors, Interventional Load Management System ON Message as well as a host of DTC's as the Battery was getting Drained even when the vehicle is Off and the Vehicle used to refuse to Start up. - Ultimately it was the Service which was getting blamed as it was not able to solve the complaint. This Laura had Rockford Fosgate Components, two JBL Amps, one 12" Subwoofer, reverse park Camera, Pioneer Double DIN DVD+BT Head unit Installed

Also Please be warned that the Yeti / Laura / Superb Use very advanced ECU/CANBUS systems which even detect a small parasitic connection and start throwing up all kinds of errors, some DTC's which cannot be erased by you, and will come to the notice of the A.S.S. who could void warranty on related Components if any issue is to arise.

I had opened up the Panelling on my yeti and Pulled out the Bolero System. If i remember well there were No pre-outs. Also unlike most of the Vehicles, Couplers cannot be used on the Yeti as the Power+ Speaker connections are through a Quadlock Connectors which more or less look like this ----->> Diagrama Bluetooth VW OEM.pdf

If you still want to go ahead, you will need to purchase a 'after market Radio fitment Adaptor' from Europe and do the fitment. however i still doubt if you will be able to hook up additional amps / woofers

Last edited by Sunilrj : 8th January 2013 at 09:36.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:36   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is nothing wrong in adding processor. Stock wiring do not come in picture when processor is added. One needs to lay down separate wiring for speakers in which case stock wiring are not used. It all matters how the job is done.
For the record, i have been using amplifiers in Fabia and laura for more than 5 years now and there has been no issue what so ever, even when the car was under warranty. There are 4 amplifiers in use in the Fabia.
I would recommend using all separate wiring to power up the amplifiers, speakers, processor. One bad job and there is bound to be issues. There are installers who are still not able to figure out how the wiring to the speakers is done even after being for more than 25 years in the field.
Firstly look out for good installer and than decide on the equipment.

Last edited by Invinsible : 8th January 2013 at 09:45.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:46   #1163
Senior - BHPian

What you've mentioned is correct.

However, its not just with Skoda but with any vendor; just that Skoda tells you upfront while other manufacturers only tell you when something goes wrong and you try to claim warranty. My Fortuner wipers were noisy form the 5th month of purchase and they refused warranty mentioning Wipers are not covered; I had to spend about 3K to replace them all.

Again, Warranty means the products would be attempted repair or replaced if found faulty as per the manufacturers terms. So there are still ways they could deny warranty, even if you kept the car in stock condition.

Furthermore, warranty may not cover certain costs which would still be sky rocketing.

As for Skoda, from what I can see, its seems like a tie-up with the insurance company. The recommend you to take their insurance if you wish to avail the skoda shield and the extended warranty. So you'll know the end result when you try to renew your insurance.

So.... GOD save us all!
Old 8th January 2013, 09:56   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
What you've mentioned is correct.

However, its not just with Skoda but with any vendor; just that Skoda tells you upfront while other manufacturers only tell you when something goes wrong and you try to claim warranty. My Fortuner wipers were noisy form the 5th month of purchase and they refused warranty mentioning Wipers are not covered; I had to spend about 3K to replace them all.

Again, Warranty means the products would be attempted repair or replaced if found faulty as per the manufacturers terms. So there are still ways they could deny warranty, even if you kept the car in stock condition.

Furthermore, warranty may not cover certain costs which would still be sky rocketing.

As for Skoda, from what I can see, its seems like a tie-up with the insurance company. The recommend you to take their insurance if you wish to avail the skoda shield and the extended warranty. So you'll know the end result when you try to renew your insurance.

So.... GOD save us all!
Just to add to your Comments: Here is the list of warranty exclusions:

Warranty obligations do not exist if the fault or damage caused by the fact that:
The buyer failed to report the fault
The buyer, despite being requested, did not straight away provide the opportunity for the remedial action
A major consequential damage occurred because a defect was not fixed
The sale item has been improperly treated or overused, for example in motorsport competitions
The sale item has been improperly repaired or serviced by an unauthorized workshop
Parts have been fitted to the sale item, the use of which was not approved by Škoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd.
The sale item has been altered in a way not authorised by Škoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd. (e.g. tuning)
The buyer failed to observe the recommendations for the treatment, servicing and maintenance of the sale item (e.g. owner's manual or service schedule)
The purchased item became damaged due to acts of war, internal unrest
Damage caused by the environment, earthquakes or other acts of force majeure
The sale item doesn’t correspond to the country-specific requirements and is permanently operated there
Indirect damage, such as loss of income, is not reimbursed
Normal wear
The cost of parts consumables and labour involved in any scheduled maintenance
Damage or malfunctions due to misuse, negligence, alteration accident
Failure to follow the recommended maintenance and service schedule and use requirements as set forth in ŠSKODA owners manual & service schedule booklet.

Also if i remember well, With Skoda the so called wear and tear Parts like wipers are covered under a warranty for 6 months or 10,000 Kms whichever is earlier.

Extended warranty: let me narrate an incident. a friend of mine purchased a Laura in early 2010 and was hesitant to go in for the EW. somehow i forced him to go in for the EW because of my Fiat experience. it so happened that in Early October the Instrument Console went Kaput. The Console was replaced under warranty. again the meters stopped working in a week. on Deeper Examination, Skoda directed the A.S.S to replace the wiring Harness. This friend was thanking his stars when he heard the cost of the Harness and Labour which comes up to the other side of 5 Lakhs!
Old 8th January 2013, 10:10   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Wow sunilrj, your words are scary! I guess I should sell of my Laura!
Old 8th January 2013, 10:38   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Wow sunilrj, your words are scary! I guess I should sell of my Laura!
I dont think you need to be Paranoid after reading my words. Just highlighted the benefit of having an extended warranty, when most people argue against it. even in my Linea, the locking mechanism of the Boot stopped functioning on 6th May 2011, exactly 1 month after the Standard warranty period ended on 1st April 2011. The cost of replacement would have been around 12600/- but the warranty covered it. Also in the present days, extended warranty Loss is not borne by the Manufacturer, but covered by an Insurer
Old 8th January 2013, 12:00   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think you need to be Paranoid after reading my words. Just highlighted the benefit of having an extended warranty, when most people argue against it. The cost of replacement would have been around 12600/- but the warranty covered it. Also in the present days, extended warranty Loss is not borne by the Manufacturer, but covered by an Insurer
In the case of Skoda, the part has to be first available before we may think of warranty or shelling from our pocket. More often than not, owners would be fed up of waiting that they source the spare(s) from abroad and have them installed.

I wonder why Skoda does not stock spares so that they're really available just like Toyota or Maruti.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:04   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
In the case of Skoda, the part has to be first available before we may think of warranty or shelling from our pocket. More often than not, owners would be fed up of waiting that they source the spare(s) from abroad and have them installed.

I wonder why Skoda does not stock spares so that they're really available just like Toyota or Maruti.
Things are not that bad. The problem is the dealers who do not anticipate a part to fail, and when it fails, they try to follow the'SOP' set by the owners of the A.S.S'es that delays Occur.

here is an interesting thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-ecm-bugs.html
Old 8th January 2013, 16:28   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Heard of Elegance 4x4 at the same price as Ambition 4x2? The Skoda website shows it (and ironically, Carwale.com also). Feels like buying another one

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-yet_price.png

Last edited by iTNerd : 8th January 2013 at 16:29.
Old 8th January 2013, 16:53   #1170
Team-BHP Support

Guys, saw an add for a Yeti from Pune done 11k kms. 2012 May, 4x4 Elegance. The owner is willing to let it go for 16l, since he is moving abroad in a month or two. Is this a good price? I think it should be a bit lower considering the Yeti is not a known product in the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks