Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 17:46   #1456
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
With Fortuner 4x4 at 23.26 the Yeti 4x4 at 18.36 seems to be way overpriced. If they give a discount of 3L or more then only does it make sense to buy it.
I would have thought it to be the other way around. Do you think it is overpriced just because of the size? Also what is your opinion on the Audi Q3 at 32l ex showroom then?
Old 6th August 2013, 17:55   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I would have thought it to be the other way around. Do you think it is overpriced just because of the size? Also what is your opinion on the Audi Q3 at 32l ex showroom then?
What I meant that at around 15L Yeti was priced just right for its features and size. It cannot compare to the Fortuner in size and ruggedness nor on the long term maintenance costs. It was right product for low occupancy, bad roads at that cost.

My personal opinion on Q3
. I dislike automatic transmission
. It has no low ratio, hence it just for rough roads and not true off road
. Much smaller compared to Fortuner
. Lacks Toyota reliability and low maintenance cost.
. Good for scoring social browny points, but then I would go for A4.
Old 6th August 2013, 17:56   #1458
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
I checked the SKODA website now for the price of yeti. There is a huge difference in price.
The difference in price for yeti 4 x 4 is more by 2.15+ Lakhs now.That too in 6 months time
Am i reading this correct.

While i understand that the cost would have gone high due to the depreciation of rupee, this cannot be so high..
Probably you’re not reading it correct

I have the pricelist from the dealer from last year (as of Aug 2012). The difference is not that huge as you mentioned. The Ambition 4x4 has gone up by around 42K, and the difference for Elegance 4x4 is around 46K (comparing with the pdf you've attached).

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-skoda-price-list.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
With Fortuner 4x4 at 23.26 the Yeti 4x4 at 18.36 seems to be way overpriced. If they give a discount of 3L or more then only does it make sense to buy it.
I actually feel the opposite. With a premium of around 5 lakhs, the Fortuner 4x4 is way overpriced if compared with the Yeti Elegance. IMO, both these cars appeal to different sensibilities, and it really depends on one’s usage and priorities.
Old 7th August 2013, 09:13   #1459
Team-BHP Support

Toyota's low maintenance - The Fortuner goes for a service every 5,000 kms. The Yeti, every 15,000 kms.

Size is relative, most relate size with $$$ you pay. I don't think any one buying a Yeti stopped short of Fortuner because it was priced some 5L over. The driving experience is price-less.

Sudev Sir has driven & he recommends certain tweaks which would make the Yeti a good competent 4X4, not like a Gypsy or Gurkha, but then nor is Fortuner that capable (as competent 4X4's)

And did someone check the price of Fortuner abroad & that how much steeply it is priced over here in India?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 14:25   #1460
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Toyota's low maintenance - The Fortuner goes for a service every 5,000 kms. The Yeti, every 15,000 kms.

Size is relative, most relate size with $$$ you pay. I don't think any one buying a Yeti stopped short of Fortuner because it was priced some 5L over. The driving experience is price-less.

Sudev Sir has driven & he recommends certain tweaks which would make the Yeti a good competent 4X4, not like a Gypsy or Gurkha, but then nor is Fortuner that capable (as competent 4X4's)
Hi Sheel. What are the changes which have been suggested?
Old 8th August 2013, 15:42   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And did someone check the price of Fortuner abroad & that how much steeply it is priced over here in India?
Who is better? Tom Cruise or John Wayne? Roger Moore or Daniel Craig? Different strengths and weaknesses. Chicks dig both types based on preferences.

Talking about offroading, do they make welterweight vs. light heavyweight fights anymore? In SUV world, the Yeti is a welterweight while the Fortuner is a light heavyweight. A LC or Patrol or G-Wagen would be the heavy weights.

If you are talking about a liftkit and other mods, the same can be done to a Fortuner to make it a beast (the only problem would be the LWB). And I am sure you know what the Hilux - Fortuner's sister is capable of (just a Pole or two, perhaps a volcano) after modifications. Same bulletproof reliability and toughness. In any case, with mods, even a Mini can win Dakar.

They are different classes of vehicles, shouldn't be compared. I would love to have both for different types of uses.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 20:23   #1462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
They are different classes of vehicles, shouldn't be compared. I would love to have both for different types of uses.
Hi!

A comparison based on price & size was made and I replied and I do agree with your POV

Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 07:56   #1463
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I had not taken the drive assure policy at the time of delivery. I was told I could take it within six months of delivery with no loss of coverage in zero depreciation. So I paid for it within six months and was waiting for the policy to arrive, which the Bajaj Alliance bloke said would be within days. After delays of months I also followed it up with the dealers sales manager and they all assured me your payment has been received by the company, coverage is available and the hard copy will be with you in a few days.

Day before yesterday I was told the only way I could take the drive assure part was to cancel the original comprehensive policy and renew it , which will entail a loss to me and so it's not advisable. They say wait for the three months when the first year will have expired and then take it.

So now I am without the zero depreciation cover also. The dealers have been very cooperative after the purchase but I wish they had been more careful and had understood the details better before committing to me.

Is there any way out of this?
Old 9th August 2013, 12:09   #1464
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:

Both vehicles are completely different and meant for different kinds of people, use cases and priorities.

And yes, the Fortuner costs about 18 lacs in South East Asia whereas it is priced at nearly 29 lacs here in India.
The Yeti costs the same in India as the equivalent prices in the UK and Australia for the same spec and trim level.

I actively considered a Fortuner and Captiva and XUV before buying the Yeti. The only reasons I chose the Yeti were its compact proportions, comfort, quality, safety kit and Euro finesse, all of which I valued more than anything the other vehicles had to offer.

I found the Fortuner, Captiva and XUV too big for a daily drive and there are many other issues too numerous to mention, all of which are covered in other threads.
Old 9th August 2013, 12:36   #1465
Senior - BHPian

No offence to anyone, Yeti is a magnificent yet quite under-stated/rated vehicle in India. It is compact and ideal but just for our city roads. But Fortuner is another beast all together. It is equally at home at a 5 star dinner party and then driving next day to some far flung Indian village on crater pestered roads or no roads at all. Believe me I have done both and that's where its strength comes shining. I would never dream taking my Superb on those roads. Both have their own niche clients but the shut it forget character of the Fortuner is more in keeping with its SUV image and category of vehicle than the Yeti.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 12:06   #1466
Distinguished - BHPian

YETI FACELIFT revealed;

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-320738158639257376.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-217505395756141073.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-11783815131148856487.jpg

Official unveiling at Frankfurt Motor Show

Source
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 12:27   #1467
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
YETI FACELIFT revealed;

Official unveiling at Frankfurt Motor Show
I think the car has completely lost its identity, by losing those in your face fog lamps, now almost nothing on the car signals it is an SUV.
Old 14th August 2013, 12:38   #1468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I think the car has completely lost its identity, by losing those in your face fog lamps, now almost nothing on the car signals it is an SUV.

But also note Skoda is going to offer Yeti in 2 variants;

1) Yeti City (body-coloured elements – this gives the updated Yeti a softer and more upmarket look)

2) Yeti Outdoor (offered with black plastic bits on the exterior for a more rugged look.)

The car pictured above in White is the "City" variant so it may look softer, but check this;

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20130814045513_skodayetifacelift17.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20130814045504_skodayetifacelift16.jpg

^ Outdoor variant

Source

Last edited by karan561 : 14th August 2013 at 12:40.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 13:14   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Great Looking Facelift. Very Octavia-ish. Cleaner lines keeping with Skoda's design philosophy.
Old 14th August 2013, 13:43   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
No offence to anyone, Yeti is a magnificent yet quite under-stated/rated vehicle in India. It is compact and ideal but just for our city roads. But Fortuner is another beast all together. It is equally at home at a 5 star dinner party and then driving next day to some far flung Indian village on crater pestered roads or no roads at all. Believe me I have done both and that's where its strength comes shining. I would never dream taking my Superb on those roads. Both have their own niche clients but the shut it forget character of the Fortuner is more in keeping with its SUV image and category of vehicle than the Yeti.
Well no doubt the Fortuner is a very capable offroader but does shut it and forget it character mean that you have to compromise on refinement? I feel charging 25 lks for a car that costs about 20lks abroad is daylight robbery. How can Toyota India justify commanding such a premium from its customers?
Plus the Fortuner is leagues behind any euro car in refinement and material quality. I for one will gladly compromise on the offroad competence as in any case the Yeti is competent enough(albeit with a tire change) to reach "most" of the inhabited places in India maybe with more difficulty than a Fortuner would.
all it takes is lil time with the snow monster in your garage and it wins you over with its abilities. I for one am completely smitten and by its all-roundedness and have relegated my A6 from daily driver to once in 2 weeks duty.
Just my POV

Most Viewed