Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

The smoke was white in color and using Indian Oil Diesel
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:56   #1307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darora View Post
I would get it checked asap if I were you. White smoke could be unburnt fuel is getting into the exhaust. Surprising on a new car. Hope you are using normal diesel, and not xtramile by Indian Oil.
Old 22nd March 2013, 19:35   #1308
BHPian

Hello BHPians
This being my 1st post on Team-BHP i would like to thank the admins for approving my request.
I am a student and we currently own a 2008 Hyundai i10 and now have booked a new Skoda Yeti Ambition 4x2 Cappuccino Beige to be delivered next week.
I have been following all the Yeti ownership threads as well as the official review thread.
I would like to ask if there is any advice i can get regarding the first phase of ownership?
Thank you so much in advance.
P.S. Have already checked the VIN on the Global VIN Decoder and it shows as a Nov '12 vehicle. I think that should be fine for now.
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:26   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Is this a one off thing that happened or you see this all the time? Since you say the smoke was white in color, I'm guessing this could be DPF regen at work. Have you been driving mostly short drives within the city?
Old 23rd March 2013, 08:43   #1310

Yes I Have been doing only short drives within the city..

Yes akshay i have been using ope you are using normal diesel

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd March 2013 at 08:50. Reason: See note in post
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:08   #1311

Yes, I have been doing only short drives with the city and use the normal diesel from Indian Oil.
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:38   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I Have been doing only short drives within the city..
If it was a one off thing, DPF regen is quite likely the reason. Other tell tale signs to look for would the DPF warning light turning on momentarily, or the fan running even after you have stopped the engine.

All it is doing is burning off the soot collected from the exhaust fumes. You would not notice this if you drive for 10-15mins at 2000 rpm or more once in a while (there is a certain temperature at which the regen kicks in).
Old 23rd March 2013, 17:20   #1313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, I have been doing only short drives with the city and use the normal diesel from Indian Oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoom View Post
If it was a one off thing, DPF regen is quite likely the reason. Other tell tale signs to look for would the DPF warning light turning on momentarily, or the fan running even after you have stopped the engine.
If its DPF related, probably worth checking this thread.
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:35   #1314
BHPian

An update on my Yeti with failed EGR Cooler. I emailed Skoda Corporate and they finally replied that "We would apprise that its very unfortunate that the EGR cooler has failed probable cause is prolong use of low quality of fuel." - I told them that this sounded like they were fobbing me off, that I lived in a Metro and regularly used reputed or COCO outlets, even on the highway. I also wonded whether they had done he routine EGR Valve checking during the 30k service, and if no indication of impending failure was observed in any way. They never responded.
Old 23rd March 2013, 21:15   #1315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
An update on my Yeti with failed EGR Cooler. I emailed Skoda Corporate and they finally replied that "We would apprise that its very unfortunate that the EGR cooler has failed probable cause is prolong use of low quality of fuel."
Wow, hats off to Skoda!!!
You said the electronics inside the EGR cooler failed, right? So how does fuel quality matter in this case? It will be interesting to ask them about this.
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:44   #1316
BHPian

Just when I was getting interested in the Yeti! I guess with Skoda ASS as long as nothing goes wrong, life is good, but if it does, one is screwed. Grrrrrr.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:40   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow, hats off to Skoda!!!
You said the electronics inside the EGR cooler failed, right? So how does fuel quality matter in this case? It will be interesting to ask them about this.
Stories like this really put a dampener on anyone considering a Skoda, despite all the attractive finance offers they seem to be coming out with to move stock.

How they can blame low fuel quality when they sell their cars in India is baffling and for part failures like an EGR valve that are supposed to have 100K life expectancy??
Old 26th March 2013, 15:10   #1318
BHPian

The rubber support for the bonnet next to the strut on the right side broke. It's the L shaped one. No idea why. I went to the service station after talking to the service manager. He said it will have to be replaced. It costs rs137/00. They will have to order it as its not in stock.

I hope he does not ask me to pay for it. Has anyone else suffered this?
Old 26th March 2013, 16:34   #1319
BHPian

[quote=sidparekh;3074116]
I would like to ask if there is any advice i can get regarding the first phase of ownership?

I have been reading of Skoda's ASS horrors for over three years now. That's the backdrop to the next sentence. Call me brave or call me an idiot, but here goes... in December of 2011, in the space of less than a fortnight, I bought two Skoda cars: a Skoda Laura L&K and a Yeti 4x4 top-of-the-line model in Matto Brown.

Today, 16 months later...

1. I have driven both cars in Delhi's madness on a daily basis, together clocking over 30,000 km;
2. I have driven both cars back from Hyderabad to Delhi when I returned after a two-month professional sojourn, on beautiful AP roads, bad Maharashtra roads, non-existent MP roads and then on the Agra-Delhi expressway;
3. The Yeti has been to the Himalayas 8 times, 6 of those times to Manali and thrice to Rohtang Pass and beyond to Khoksar; all three last times were the worst road conditions I have seen in my driving life, which is around 25 years;
4. The Laura has been on highways but only in the plains, except for one quick trip to Mashobra.

I have never faced any problem with either car. In fact, they are amongst the best vehicles I have driven, and I am lucky enough to have driven many. As for ASS, I have been to Jai Auto on Mathura Road after the purchase, before the Hyderabad trip, on returning from Hyderabad, and so on. They have gone out of the way to help me out, even fixing minor ECM errors that were my fault due to an after-market installation of a sub-woofer on the Yeti. Once, they even worked on an off-day, since I was moving to Hyderabad and wanted to car serviced in a city I was familiar with.

That having been said, one of the times I was there, they tried to give me a run-around, and I threatened to scream (or something like that). That apart, no issues.

Come to think of it, I got the windscreen of the Yeti replaced in Hyderabad (Sanath Nagar, near Yerragada, I am forgetting the name of the dealer, perhaps Mahavir Auto) and it was the smoothest insurance claim that I have ever made. In and out in 24 hours, with a brilliant job done, and a free wash, dry-clean and polish thrown in to boot.

So call me brave, or an idiot, or plain lucky—but I have had next to no issues with Skoda...

rajeevn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 15:23   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post

So call me brave, or an idiot, or plain lucky—but I have had next to no issues with Skoda...
Thanks a lot rajeevn.
Took delivery of our yeti on thursday. Car had arrived at the dealer's on tuesday but waited till thursday for auspicious reasons.
Car was perfect except front driver seat was a little dirty which was cleaned by the dealer before delivery & music system coding was still to be done. Once both were resolved, we took delivery and have loved the car. I have not driven the car much except for a short spin, as father was driving it the most.
But from the short drive, i realised:
1. Coming from a petrol hatchback to a diesel monster is difficult.Both father and i managed to stall it a few times (I shudder to think what might have happened if it was a 4x4)
2. Its an absolute delight to drive. Not much adjustments required to judgement of the size (In fact, the visibility is better than the i10).
3. Its even more of a delight to turn & park. We had our misgivings regarding the ease in parking but both me & father were able to do so with ease. Very accurate parking sensors an added bonus.
I thank Team-BHP and all the Yetian BHPians for their wise words and advice.
Will upload pictures and a detailed write-up soon as currently i am busy with my college project. Until then...
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img_0773-copy.jpg  

sidparekh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed