Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 07:53   #1336
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

With 13,000kms dusted & first service done yesterday, this Yeti brings a broad smile to my face whenever I drive.

The 1st service bill came at Rs. 9,9xx

One filter was quite costly at Rs. 3,xxx, oil was at Rs. 3,9xx

Two other filters were changed. I was initially submitted a bill of Rs. 10,4xx despite not opting for an accessory.

After asking in a firm voice to provide the bill in a break-up, the total bill amounted to Rs. 10,3xx with that accessory.

The Car has freed up & pushes back to your seat & keeps you there till you are gunning it.

Only one small niggle - Everytime 110kmph is crossed, an alert appears that you are on snow tires & not to exceed 110kmph. I reported this to the SA & the mechanic, but the alert appeared on its way back. The tires are the regular OE tires.

Happened to keep the Car in 6th at 3,000 revs for quite a lot of distance & the Car still had spunk.

The way the wash-wipe feature's water is thrown, the way you toggle between high & low beam, the way speed is masked, makes you forget everything negative about the Skoda.

On a condensing note, I couldn't find a comfortable driving position in it. I for the first time was shifting positions continuously in the driver's seat. On the contrary, in the Pajero SFX, I can be seated in the driver's seat from dawn to dusk & won't be surprised if I can drive again from dusk to dawn.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 16:41   #1337
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
With 13,000kms dusted & first service done yesterday, this Yeti brings a broad smile to my face whenever I drive.

The 1st service bill came at Rs. 9,9xx

One filter was quite costly at Rs. 3,xxx, oil was at Rs. 3,9xx.
Hi Sheel just how fast were you driving when the rpm was 3000 ? More importantly which road?
Old 4th April 2013, 23:23   #1338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Hi Sheel just how fast were you driving when the rpm was 3000 ? More importantly which road?
Hi Ajai!

Mention of high speeds on forum is a strict no-no. I mentioned the revs & the gear, so that Elegance owners will know, what I am hinting at ;-)

I didn't push further because of the stupid snow tire alert.

The Car it appeared could easily reach its top-speed.

I was doing this on the East West corridor at a section, where practically, you can see for miles on both ends. Practically no traffic & cattle etc. It was 5am in the morning.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th April 2013 at 23:25.
Old 5th April 2013, 07:40   #1339
BHPian

Quote:

Hi

I was doing this on the East West corridor at a section, where practically, you can see for miles on both ends. Practically no traffic & cattle etc. It was 5am in the morning.
The speed rating of the oem tyres is H, so the maximum speed permitted is 210 km/hr. Would it be safe to push up to the max speed?
Old 5th April 2013, 08:36   #1340
Team-BHP Support

Yes, it should be safe (tire wise) as Yeti would struggle past 190kmph.

Though it would be helluva unsafe to even think about maintaining good speeds at a sustained period.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:54   #1341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I assume your Yeti comes with the Maxidot display. There should be a option under the set up menu called "winter tyres". Here you should be able to set the speed at which you want the display to show the warning sign.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:56   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only one small niggle - Everytime 110kmph is crossed, an alert appears that you are on snow tires & not to exceed 110kmph. I reported this to the SA & the mechanic, but the alert appeared on its way back. The tires are the regular OE tires.
There's a tyre warning option somewhere in the settings menu of the MID that allows you to set up the warning for snow/winter tyres. I think you should be fine if you change the setting there.

PS: For Shankar Balan and Behemoth looking for tyres, please see this Briskoda thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...and-rim-guide/

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th April 2013 at 10:02.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 14:01   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
There's a tyre warning option somewhere in the settings menu of the MID that allows you to set up the warning for snow/winter tyres. I think you should be fine if you change the setting there.

Steeroid is completely right. I have a Yeti as well and have disabled the 'Speed Warning' and the 'Snow Tires' option. No matter how much I gun the car now, there's no little bells pinging all over the place.

The vehicle is a pleasure to drive; I have done nearly 15,000 km in it and it brings a smile to my face everytime I drive. I have driven it all sorts of trails, terrain and plush highways. At all places, the way the vehicle responds to my command and moves, especially after 1,600-1,700 RPM is breached, the word slingshot comes to mind.

Old 10th April 2013, 14:46   #1344
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Good point. One can disable Winter Tyres on the MID. Also can set the speed limit if desired, on the MID.
Both Behemoth and I are members of Briskoda so thanks, we will take a look there. However, Behemoth is quite an expert already on Yeti matters and I plan to simply follow his advice on tyres which he has already been sharing on the forum. Im not ready to buy new tyres right now though, as my vehicle has just crossed 15K Kms and the tyres will work peacefully for another 15K Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

PS: For Shankar Balan and Behemoth looking for tyres, please see this Briskoda thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...and-rim-guide/
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 08:25   #1345
BHPian

Has anyone used the portable tyre pressure gauge ? I have found that different petrol pumps have their units calibrated differently and the one I normally use slightly under inflates the tyres.
Old 13th April 2013, 12:01   #1346
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Has anyone used the portable tyre pressure gauge ? I have found that different petrol pumps have their units calibrated differently and the one I normally use slightly under inflates the tyres.
The Portable gauge need not be correct either.

What I do is:

Use only the Automatic cut off Air Pressure Pumps.
1) Go to Petrol Pump 1 - Fill vehicle to 32
2) Go to Petrol Pump 2- Fill Vehicle to 32 - but while filling if this pump says the current tyre pressure is 33 it will let off some air in all the tyres (we can see the pressure display showing the previous pressure). If it shows say 31 it will fill Air.
3) Go to Petrol Pump 2 - Repeat 1.

Using the values from 1,2 & 3 if I find that a particular pump has value between the other two then I take it to be the correct value, if on the other hand two of the values match and one is different then I take the two that match to be correct. I preferably try Petrol Pumps of different Brands (say HP, BP & IO) - Since the pumps of a perticular brand of fuel tend to show the same value.

Now with this data I figure out which pump is showing the presumed correct value. Now that does not mean that I would change by fuel brand options due to this. Instead I would to the pump that I prefer and then fill either 1 or 2 point higher or lower air pressure than is standard to adjust to the correct value since the difference is already known.

Don't know If I put is across well enough.

Anyways this is OT on the Yeti thread but couldn't resist.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 08:51   #1347
BANNED

A small pointer required please.

I recently had my tyres and wheels rotated. Discovered that one Alloy is scarred by some stone or rock while driving. It is minor but looks unsightly once you know it is there.

I was thinking of perhaps buying a full size spare along with an alloy and placing it in the boot, because the space saver spare is not necessarily the best option for our Indian road conditions, even though in the last one and a half years of Yeti ownership, I have not experienced a single punctured tyre.

Or should I simply wait till it is time to change all the 4 tyres to new ones and do it at that time at one shot?

Any idea how expensive the alloy wheel is? And will a regular sized tyre mounted on the alloy and then used as a spare, cause serious difficulties in the rear boot loading area?

Requesting expert advice on this please...

Thanks in advance...
Old 15th April 2013, 09:44   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A small pointer required please.

I recently had my tyres and wheels rotated. Discovered that one Alloy is scarred by some stone or rock while driving. It is minor but looks unsightly once you know it is there.
Thanks in advance...
Why not just get the wheels painted and ceramic coated. With ceramic coating, cost should be around Rs1500/wheel, Rs800-1000 without.

You can have alloy wheels of your colour choice at the cost of 1 new tyre and wouldn't have to wait.

Here's one original Vrs Alloy that was done last week in gunmetal grey.
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img20130410wa0014.jpg

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 15th April 2013 at 09:46.
absynthguzzler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 11:27   #1349
BANNED

Wow. Thats great!
Where can one get these sorts of things done in Bangalore?
Any ideas and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Why not just get the wheels painted and ceramic coated. With ceramic coating, cost should be around Rs1500/wheel, Rs800-1000 without.

You can have alloy wheels of your colour choice at the cost of 1 new tyre and wouldn't have to wait.

Here's one original Vrs Alloy that was done last week in gunmetal grey.
Attachment 1073863
Old 15th April 2013, 18:29   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wow. Thats great!
Where can one get these sorts of things done in Bangalore?
Any ideas and pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Team-bhp directory should have paint-shops that are recommended.

Most Viewed