Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2013, 14:23   #1411
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post

Yes. Actually the Ad opens with Yeti. Hope they are switching to better boots of Yeti.

Skoda got us a sad set of Tires.. we just have to replace it with right once when the time is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

3. I am really pleased if Bridgestone is indeed going to release tyres in the Yeti spec. I have used Bridgestones in three or four cars previously and always found them to be strong, no-nonsense, tough, durable and ideally suited to Indian road conditions. Maybe they don't have the finesse of a Pirelli or a Michelin, but then, neither do our typical Bangalore roads, so I guess we are even! Ref Tyre replacement, as I understand it, only Falken Tyres offers such a facility, road damage package or something. I saw this in an ad in the latest 'What Car?' Magazine.
The Yeti is such a well built vehicle the bad tyres are a shame. I was coming back home to Patna when near the Varanasi airport I discovered nails in both the front tyres. My father says it happened to him once in 1955, its so rare. Pulled out one nail which seemed to fairly small and luckily the tyre pressure was maintained. Had the other one repaired while it was still attached to the car. I had to advise the tyre wallah to turn the borer in one direction only or he would break the wires.

I told him to fill both the front tyres to 33psi and once we got back on the road it was clear from the bounce that the pressure was clearly much more. In all the 250 Kms to Patna not one petrol station had working automatic air fillers in working condition! Even then there was no ugly clanks from the Yeti.

The next day got the tyre pressure checked first thing on way to office and it was 53psi! I was shocked. A little more was always to be expected but this was fantastic. Even then the Yeti was soundless, no tantrums, temper at all.

How does one judge what pressure to ask from these local tyre wallahs? 20psi would seem right going by my experience.
Old 16th June 2013, 14:41   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
How does one judge what pressure to ask from these local tyre wallahs? 20psi would seem right going by my experience.
Carry a small pressure guage with you. Simple mechanical ones are good enough.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 18:06   #1413
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milu2fast View Post
21.25 lacs seems reasonable. I believe you should definitely buy the Skoda Shield Extended Warranty. It is well worth it and I heartily recommend that you buy it.
Bought it and upgrading to shield at next insure renewal,have confirmed it with the dealer and it can be done at that time. And YETI is awesome
Well done.
'Same pinch' in ref the choice of colour!
Wish you many safe miles of Happy Motoring in your Yeti...
It is simply the best car in its price range and segment at the current moment in India.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 09:57   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Well done.
'Same pinch' in ref the choice of colour!
Wish you many safe miles of Happy Motoring in your Yeti...
It is simply the best car in its price range and segment at the current moment in India.
But I would like to thank all the yeti owners and Shankar in T-bhp because even though I may not even know your real names , all the threads you guys have started made me feel like I talked with so many owners and only after knowing the positives and negatives have bought the Car. Cheers to all of you because all of you have been really really equally helpful. YETI is awesome !
milu2fast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 12:35   #1415
Senior - BHPian

My yeti is approaching 1 yr. Have done around 13500 kms. Will be giving for 1st service in few days. Some queries:

1. Have any one of you enabled the TPMS module in the bolero system? Does it work flawlessly? How can I enable it?

2. And regarding tyres rotation, what is the recommended swap (that is, front right tyre to the front left)

3. The spare tyre (same size 215/60/16) is never been used. Should I transfer it to one of the alloy and use it?

4. A lot of owners have reported AC not cooling effectively. Please tell me what should I tell service guy to check for?

5. Is there any preference of engine oil?

6. Approximate cost of the 1st service
Old 24th June 2013, 12:53   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Some queries:
1. Where have you seen that? More info on that pls. TPMS should work on the Elegance's Instrument Cluster.
2. Nope. Left rear tyre to left front tyre and vice versa.
3. Nope. Let it remain new.
4. Is your AC not working properly. If not, then what's to report? Get the AC condensor washed properly.
5. Castrol Magnatec 5W40 Fully synthetic is the usual choice. Photos/cost here on my Superb's 1st service report here .
6. Cost should be around 8K without wheel balancing and alignment (which I would suggest you get done outside in any case, if necessary)

Last edited by dkaile : 24th June 2013 at 12:55.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 22:06   #1417
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

The 1st service cost for the Yeti was Rs. ~10.5K. The Car has done 20,000 kms as of today. Was brought home on Oct '12.

Today brake oil was topped up.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 06:01   #1418
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milu2fast View Post

But I would like to thank all the yeti owners and Shankar in T-bhp because even though I may not even know your real names , all the threads you guys have started made me feel like I talked with so many owners and only after knowing the positives and negatives have bought the Car. Cheers to all of you because all of you have been really really equally helpful. YETI is awesome !
Mine is my real name mate! I don't like the concept of lurking behind a 'handle'...
Old 25th June 2013, 08:02   #1419
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1. Where have you seen that? More info on that pls. TPMS should work on the Elegance's Instrument Cluster.
6. Cost should be around 8K without wheel balancing and alignment (which I would suggest you get done outside in any case, if necessary)
TPMS does not work on the Yeti. Elegance does not have it. I think Pramod has done some jugaad and enabled it.

As far as Mobil is concerned the one with 507 no is what comes with the Yeti originally . Should have higher specs.
Old 25th June 2013, 08:38   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as Mobil is concerned the one with 507 no is what comes with the Yeti originally . Should have higher specs.
As far as I know, 507 00 was recommended for Yetis with DPF. As we do not have the same in India, I saw this same oil of 502/505 grade being used in all diesel vehicles at the Skoda ASC. Since I don't own a Yeti but a Superb, current Yeti owners may correct me if wrong. And its news to me the the TPMS does not work even on Yeti Elegance!
Old 25th June 2013, 11:45   #1421
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
As far as I know, 507 00 was recommended for Yetis with DPF. As we do not have the same in India, I saw this same oil of 502/505 grade being used in all diesel vehicles at the Skoda ASC. Since I don't own a Yeti but a Superb, current Yeti owners may correct me if wrong. And its news to me the the TPMS does not work even on Yeti Elegance!
As far as I know they do come with a DPF. And yes the TPMS isn't enabled on a Yeti. God only knows why, but Skoda has chosen not to enable a useful little thing which would have cost them nothing. The TPMS we get is only a flat tyre warning system, and works using the ABS wheel speed sensors. When it detects a wheel is rotating a different amount of times compared to others due to loss in air, it gives out a warning.
Old 26th June 2013, 01:35   #1422
BHPian

A little help needed from the Yetians:
The Yeti had been lying dormant for a week as we were out of station. I started it up yesterday and after a few minutes of running noticed a small tak-tak sound coming from the engine apart from the diesel thrum and clatter. It appears only in neutral and disappears as soon as you slot it in 1st and start moving even a little. Has anyone else has such a noise? It comes and goes at its own will and mostly comes after the engine has reached around 80-90% of its working temperature ruling out cold start knocking AFIAIK
Also after coming home and parking the car i noticed the engine oil pressure light was glowing a dull yellow. Checked out the manual it said there could be a problem in the engine oil pressure. Decided to go to the workshop to check it out in the morning.

The next day: Me and father went to the JMD Skoda Workshop in Charkop as it is the nearest for our house and have been there once before. The Assistant works manager attended to us quickly as we had called earlier and informed him we were coming. After great difficulty we were able to reproduce the tak-tak sound owing to the heavy rains but the Works Manager said he would call for a mechanical expert to check it out.

Meanwhile, the warning light was found out to be an electrical fault in the instrument cluster as the engine oil sign is next to the handbrake sign it appears with a dull glow only when the handbrake is engaged. The electrical fellow responded as if it was a known issue and then said that if we turn on the headlights then a few more lights would come on. I tried that and lo and behold! the EPS warning light came on with a dull green glow. The works manager said the instrument cluster will have to be replaced but they would be able to do it only after a week or so (without providing any valid reason).
The mechanic was not available even then to check out the sound and me and dad were getting late for some other important engagement and the rain had begun relentlessly so the works manager assured perfect attention if we came tomorrow morning and hopefully it would not be raining then and it would be easier to isolate the sound. Waiting to visit again in the morning.

All recommendations and advice is welcome as this is our first over-engineered European vehicle and it has barely been 3 months and 1000 kms in the Yeti.

Almost forgot another worrying detail: As soon as we reached home from the workshop, there was a weird smell coming from the exhaust after parking and also there was a lot of smoke(mostly white, almost transparent) coming from the exhaust. It was raining very heavily on the way back if that fact is of any help.

Sorry for the long post but I am kinda worried.
(Attached image below of dull yellow glow in engine oil pressure light)
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-imag0157small.jpg  

Old 26th June 2013, 07:24   #1423
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post

All recommendations and advice is welcome as this is our first over-engineered European vehicle and it has barely been 3 months and 1000 kms in the Yeti.

Almost forgot another worrying detail: As soon as we reached home from the workshop, there was a weird smell coming from the exhaust after parking and also there was a lot of smoke(mostly white, almost transparent) coming from the exhaust. It was raining very heavily on the way back if that fact is of any help.

Sid. Please PM to Sunilrj and Behemoth. Both these gentlemen are far more expert than I can ever hope to be, on the Yeti. Another bloke you can check with is Steeroid.

I have not faced issues of this kind in my Yeti. I have left the car dormant for three days, four days, one week and even two or three weeks at a stretch, when I go on business trips or on holiday. It usually starts at first crank the moment I get back. Of course, in such cases I always idle for a minute or two on account of the fact that the vehicle has been idle so long. The only thing I experience after having left the vehicle dormant is a sort of creaky sound of the brake calipers disengaging fron the discs or from the actual handbrake cable itself, when I release the handbrake, but I guess that is normal and to be expected.
In the mornings at start, every day even with standard regular usage, I hear some diesel clatter but that settles down after the vehicle warms up a bit. I have checked this with Behemoth our fellow member, but he also says this is normal. I do smell some diesel-ish smells when I park the car in the basement every day at office because I park backed up against a wall and the exhaust is right there. This identical diesel-ish smell I have encountered while walking my dogs in my neighbourhood and when an XUV passed by, so I am not worried, it is just the normal emission related smell I think.
I ve been pretty religiously following the 30 sec to 1 min idle before starting and before stopping. However, my pal, who lives in Canada and owns two big VW Passat TDI's, one a standard sedan and the other, a station wagon, visited me recently and told me that this 'idling' is totally unnecessary, because as the engine runs it warms up and then causes the radiator fan to come on. It is, according to him, important to only switch the engine off once the radiator cooling fan is completely off. In general I do not drive in a spirited manner because I simply cannot do so on our Bangalore roads and traffic conditions. Hence, I am almost always driving slowly or at normal speeds, where the turbo has little work to do...with this in mind, I am wondering if my friend isn't right after all, given my usage patterns as desribed.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th June 2013 at 07:28.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 10:22   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
The Yeti had been lying dormant for a week as we were out of station. I started it up yesterday and after a few minutes of running noticed a small tak-tak sound coming from the engine apart from the diesel thrum and clatter. It appears only in neutral and disappears as soon as you slot it in 1st and start moving even a little. Has anyone else has such a noise? It comes and goes at its own will and mostly comes after the engine has reached around 80-90% of its working temperature ruling out cold start knocking AFIAIK
Also after coming home and parking the car i noticed the engine oil pressure light was glowing a dull yellow. Checked out the manual it said there could be a problem in the engine oil pressure. Decided to go to the workshop to check it out in the morning.

The next day: Me and father went to the JMD Skoda Workshop in Charkop as it is the nearest for our house and have been there once before. The Assistant works manager attended to us quickly as we had called earlier and informed him we were coming. After great difficulty we were able to reproduce the tak-tak sound owing to the heavy rains but the Works Manager said he would call for a mechanical expert to check it out.

Meanwhile, the warning light was found out to be an electrical fault in the instrument cluster as the engine oil sign is next to the handbrake sign it appears with a dull glow only when the handbrake is engaged. The electrical fellow responded as if it was a known issue and then said that if we turn on the headlights then a few more lights would come on. I tried that and lo and behold! the EPS warning light came on with a dull green glow. The works manager said the instrument cluster will have to be replaced but they would be able to do it only after a week or so (without providing any valid reason).
The mechanic was not available even then to check out the sound and me and dad were getting late for some other important engagement and the rain had begun relentlessly so the works manager assured perfect attention if we came tomorrow morning and hopefully it would not be raining then and it would be easier to isolate the sound. Waiting to visit again in the morning.

Hi Sid,

First of all, check the battery connections on your car. They should be fully tight and there should be no corrosion on the terminals. Such issues of random lights/ flickering is often caused by weak electrical contacts. The second possibility is of water damage to some cable which is causing current leakage- this should also be diagnosable with a VAG Scan, which can indicate where there is a current leakage in the wiring harness.
In Mumbai it is raining quite heavily and you need to be a little extra careful with the electricals.

What I also suspect is that you are having an issue of brake calipers jamming, either due to rust on the moving parts or mud. In rainy seasons it does happen once in a while if the car is not driven frequently. Check your brake discs and the brake pads for free movement.

On the tak-tak sound, is it regular / periodic or is intermittent? In lower temperatures (below 20 Degrees) the diesel engines take some time (upto 10 min) to warm up and then the clattering noises reduce. Before this, you will find the clatter a lot more). The clattering noises are due to the valve mechanisms and the cams, which abate once the engine warms up and the oil supply is sufficient and at a warm temperature. Do check the oil level in the engine yourself that it is sufficient. It is also possible that the oil level may have fallen due to low oil level. There is a remote chance that the oil circulating pump which feeds oil to the valves/ cams etc may be damaged - do get this checked asap, as if you continue driving the car, it can cause a lot more damage.
The oil pump if damaged should certainly throw up error codes with a VAG Scan if the oil pressure is not enough.

On the exhaust smoke smell, it is ok once in a while for the engine to go in DPF regeneration mode, wherein it runs the engine at a higher speed to make the exhaust temperature higher to burn the deposits in the Diesel particulate filter.
But if the smoke is also white in colour (and not steam from water) you need to be more careful as white smoke is often a sign of an Oil starved engine.

Some of these issues should be easy to pinpoint with a full diagnostic scan of the car (apart from the brakes issues), so do get a full scan done and preferably in front of yourself in the workshop.

Hope you do get the resolution to your issues quickly. Do keep us posted.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 12:12   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TPMS does not work on the Yeti. Elegance does not have it. I think Pramod has done some jugaad and enabled it.

So for TPMS what is actually missing or left out by Skoda? Just the software codes or some hardware?

Time has also come for me to renew the insurance. I didn't take 0% depreciation last year, and fortunately there was no claim made. But I am keen to go for it this time around, as I am planning to drive to Leh and may possibly incur some damages (plastics, bumpers the least etc). Rs 24K for bajaj allianz standard, and 38K with 0% depreciation. any suggestion?

Most Viewed