Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2019, 16:26   #2071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvaid View Post
Yes, I have got mine replaced but you need to show old motor which is fitted in your vehicle as there are many types used on Skoda/Volkswagen Cars. For me its easy as I stay in Delhi and there are couple of dealer. One of them is "Rahul Motors in Palika Bhawan Market opp to Hayatt Hotel near R K Puram.
Thanks Deepak. Can you share the number of Rahul motor. Also does this replacement require removing dash? I am in Hyderabad now and if we can identify the motor by vin, it will make it easy to source.
Old 31st March 2019, 09:13   #2072

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Thanks Deepak. Can you share the number of Rahul motor. Also does this replacement require removing dash? I am in Hyderabad now and if we can identify the motor by vin, it will make it easy to source.
No it doesn't require removing the dash & its an easy task to replace the motor. Rahul Motor number is 011-24677611 mobile number 9811107962. Let me be honest that don't expect much on the phone as these shopkeeper are pretty busy dealing with walk-in customers.
Old 10th April 2019, 18:03   #2073

Hello Yetizens! Need your advice. I have a 2011 Yeti Elegance that is now hitting 90K. It's served me well so far: have made a number of gruelling trips to Ladakh, Spiti and the Sach Pass. Last year, my clutch gave way and I had to replace the entire clutch system. This year, my service guy tells me that the suspension needs to be replaced and that the timing belt and brake pads are also due for replacement. Does anyone know what else I can expect to have to change as the Yeti approaches 100K?

Also, I know this has been asked before, but is there a reliable Skoda workshop in North India?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th April 2019, 18:14   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetizing View Post
Hello Yetizens! Need your advice. I have a 2011 Yeti Elegance that is now hitting 90K. It's served me well so far: have made a number of gruelling trips to Ladakh, Spiti and the Sach Pass. Last year, my clutch gave way and I had to replace the entire clutch system. This year, my service guy tells me that the suspension needs to be replaced and that the timing belt and brake pads are also due for replacement. Does anyone know what else I can expect to have to change as the Yeti approaches 100K?

Also, I know this has been asked before, but is there a reliable Skoda workshop in North India?

Thanks in advance!
1. Haldex clutch fluid - they won't remind you because most service centers don't know how. If you damage your clutch, the replacement cost is 3.2L + Labour + VAT. You will agree that the oil is cheaper.

2. Suspension - shocks will need replacement around this time. Your back will tell you whether it is time.

3. Timing belt should have been changed earlier. 75k service if am not mistaken. Unless you want to buy a new engine, please do this ASAP.

4. Brake pads - depends on usage and driving style. You can inspect and verify if it is indeed due for replacement. Not very expensive, but make sure they put back the spring pad stays - my dealer forgot and I lived with brake pad rattle till I replaced the pads again.

5. Check engine mounts, GB mounts

The snowman needs a bit of TLC around 100k, but then its good for another 100. Skoda being Skoda will rip you off, but nowadays I find independent garages charging roughly the same after obtaining parts from the grey market. If I were you I would stick to Skoda Service.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 21:24   #2075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetizing View Post

Thanks in advance!
I had a Yeti for almost 7 years and sold mine in 2016 end after covering around 100,000 kms. It was a great car and we replaced it with a Jeep Compass. I still have a Skoda Laura too which is also 7 years old now and has covered 65k kms.
These repairs which you have mentioned will definitely be due now and you should get them done. I can recommend the Bosch Authorized workshop in Gurgaon near Unitech Cyber Park , Sec 39 for your work. I recently got my Laura suspension overhauled by them and the Ac Full service done and they did a good job. The cost here with OE parts is around 50% of what Skoda charges in their workshop.
Most high end cars are serviced here and you will find lots of Audis , Mercs and Jaguars even being serviced here after the warranty periods get over.

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th April 2019 at 21:25.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 10:03   #2076

Dear BHPains

Need some expert advice... i have the Yeti 4x4 Elegance (Aug 2013 Mfg; Jan 2014 reg), have done 56000kms... given that Yeti is no more in production and support becoming more tougher... i'am in a dilemma to keep it or sell it ? I love the car.. but unable to make my mind... so should i keep it for one more year?
Old 5th July 2019, 11:43   #2077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darora View Post
Dear BHPains

Need some expert advice... i have the Yeti 4x4 Elegance (Aug 2013 Mfg; Jan 2014 reg), have done 56000kms... given that Yeti is no more in production and support becoming more tougher... i'am in a dilemma to keep it or sell it ? I love the car.. but unable to make my mind... so should i keep it for one more year?

Considering the resale value of the Yeti, I would say hang on to it. I had mine till it ran 1.1l kms, and it still felt pretty fresh. Parts will be available, don't think you should worry about that.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 14:17   #2078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPains

Its a keeper and you should retain it as long as you can. You should be able to get parts and service for at least another 4 years.
I had mine for 7 years and 1 lac kms and sold it 2 1/2 years back. It is still doing well with the new owner and has run another 50k kms without any issues
The Yeti was a great car and in today's scenario you don't get cars like that anymore !
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 15:05   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPains

If you are interested in selling it, I'm interested in checking it out.
krish3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 12:49   #2080
BHPian

I bought my Yeti in Dec 2010. I have clocked 105,000kms. Never had so much driving pleasure in over 46 years of driving. I moved to Ignite, an independent garage in Madras, as soon as I was out of warranty. I have not had any problems sourcing parts - many are shared with other cars in the VW group. Last year I contemplated changing cars but couldn’t find any worthy replacement under ₹30lakhs. I decided to spend whatever I would get on that outlay and keep the Yeti as long as I can! It is a keeper.
Cheers
Spectator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 14:28   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPains

I’d recommend you keep it. But in the event that you decide otherwise, please PM me. Aug 2013 and 56k sounds too tempting.

Mine is Aug 2012, 125k kms and counting. It’s the longest (in years and kms) that I’ve kept a vehicle, and I’ve had quite a few. Would buy a sparingly used Yeti over any other car in the market today. Nothing quite like it.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 18:29   #2082
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Keep it. I have the elegance too and there is nothing quite like it. In case you do feel like disposing it off and Steeroid is not interested, I have a friend who is looking for one having sold his off.
One bloke I know tested it against the Outlander and it won, hands down.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 19:04   #2083
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I am returning to this Forum after quite a long while.

I have just completed ~7 years and 7 months as the first owner, with my Skoda Yeti Elegance 4x4 - which was manufactured in May/June 2011 and purchased brand new in Dec 2011 for the princely sum (then) of ~ 19 lacs of rupees.

On this very Forum, I have been accused by many people in the past years, of being an extremely Skoda Yeti biased person and a "fanboy" and various other choice epithets because I was in the habit of regularly updating and sharing my good experiences with this vehicle.

Yes, I agree that I am indeed Guilty as Charged. No regrets. I will happily go the Guillotine if that is the punishment to be meted out for the above mentioned sins and transgressions.

Now, back to the Yeti - I have just hit 47275 kms in this car.
I have never allowed anyone else to drive it except very rarely when forced to do so. Even to and from servicing, these last 7 years, I have always requested and got the same driver to ferry it up and down - I know him well and he drives this Yeti very carefully.
I ve never had it serviced any where else apart from Vinayaka Skoda in Bangalore. Earlier it was done in K R Puram and now these last 2-3 years it is being done in Mahadevapura.

This vehicle has been mostly used for city commutes between home and work and back. Yes I have done a number of out of station drives to Madras, Coimbatore, Salem, Ooty, Coorg, Mysore and all around Bangalore environs etc, but over the last 4 years, owing to severe time constraints and heavy work travel, this has come down significantly.

I actually end up doing around 400 odd kms per month, no more than that.

Which is sad. Because this truly is a solid car and gives one great comfort and pleasure while driving it.

Incidentally, yes, it is out of warranty now and I know I can fiddle with it and remap it and all sorts of things. But I prefer to keep it stock.

Some of the issues that I have experienced in the Yeti and attended to, in the last so many years of ownership.

I ve changed Tyres only once - ~ March 2016 - from OEM Goodyear 215/60/16 to Falken Wildpeak 215/65/16.

Ive changed the battery once - after 4 years and again now, after another 4 years.

The front dash display became dim around 3 years into ownership and the entire assembly was changed under warranty.

The AC Blower unit packed up on a very hot day in 2017 March and I immediately got them to chuck it out and replace it for me, after which its been working just fine.

Along with the tyre change in 2016 I installed these Rogerab Suspension dampers in all 4 coil springs. These have made a difference on the elephantine speed breakers of Bangalore.

So last Saturday I decided to send it for its annual service (as per the time scale) and I went personally to the Skoda Workshop to have a chat with the guys there.

I may say here that they have indeed served me well and honestly all these years and I do know many of them well, because I ve been a regular customer.

I never put time pressure on them, preferring to let them take as much extra time as they want, and do a thorough job for me.

So it turned out this time, when considered on "time-scale" and "wear and tear" basis, that the following things definitely needed changing.

1. Timing Belt and its accoutrements ( recommended at 100000kms or 8 years)
2. Water Pump (same)
3. Timing Kit (same)
4. Battery (New Skoda recommended Exide) (The old Amaron one had begun to leak a bit at the top - this Amaron one was fitted in 2015 June when the OEM Varta had reached its last legs.)
5. My front discs were "stepped" meaning they werent flush any more with the holding cups and were scored with normal wear and tear. But on one recent drive to Madras and back during which I clocked highway speeds, I wasnt pleased with the way my brakes were "biting" when testing them on the highway. I wasnt also pleased with the typical ABS "feedback/kickback" that one gets when slamming the brakes hard. (I regularly test the ABS once in a while like this on a clear stretch of road) Hence this resulted in the front discs being changed to new ones and the brake pads as well.
6. I took the opportunity to change the Haldex Clutch oil too, because this also was last done in 2015.(Effectively once in 4 years)
7. And then of course the sundry other normal servicing jobs like the oil changes, all the filters, brake fluid top ups, wiper blades and all that stuff.

Yes, I have incurred a rather large bill for all this. (~ Rs 65000 including the truly vicious 28% GST). Typically I spend about 25000 per annum on my Yeti service, but this is because I am personally quite ruthless about changing things when recommended, but always after discussions with the Skoda chaps. I would prefer to be safe than sorry. I am not a "spend shy" person by nature when it comes to preventive maintenance on my vehicles, because I just love my vehicles too much.

Yes, I also know that I hardly drive the car much at all. Yes, I am well aware that Skoda After Sales Service and Parts are indeed expensive as is the labour.

Despite all this, I am happy to have spent this money to keep this excellent vehicle on the road in "tiptop condition" as my Dad's old Amby and Jeep Mechanic used to say many years ago.

Now that my lovely old Yeti has reached the comfortable middle age of almost 8, and indeed the vehicle has aged gracefully, with nary a rattle.

However, being a mere human, and being prone to normal user-fatigue and greed, I was casting my eye idly about the market to see what other vehicle can be considered at some appropriate time.

I poked about a bit and in typical "pipe dreamer" fashion, I went to the various showrooms and checked out the GLA Merc, the Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport. All of these are really expensive if bought brand new. My Lord, they are EXPENSIVE!

I concluded therefore, that I am not interested in an expensive brand new German or other SUV any more - because in my opinion, all of them without exception, are way way overpriced for what they offer.
And More Importantly, none of these actually come close to what the Yeti is able to offer.

If at all, I might at some stage consider the lateral upgrade method, paying full cash, would prefer to be away from EMI's etc which are all way too exorbitant.

I have also been spending a lot of my spare "screen time" on various Youtube resources such as "Harry's Garage" and "Petrolicious" and "Jay Leno's Garage" etc. All this, coupled with some lovely International Automobile Museum visits in the recent past, has kind of pushed me in the direction of some of the classic cars.

I did consider perhaps that it might be nice to own an elderly 1990's vintage W124 Merc E Class - which is the only car of those that I like, that might still be found in India in good condition, but frankly, I am not 100% convinced for myself, that this is the route to take.

I then did have my imagination severely tickled by an used BMW 118d and another used 116i Petrol which cars I know, are not the same as a Yeti but still appealed to me a wonderful long nosed premium hatch and "driver's car" with Rear wheel Drive - the last of the real good RWD's. Effectively in my mind, this is like a "poor man's Z4". I almost sprung cash for these cars but stopped myself at the 11th hour.

I got highly excited with a hard top Z4 convertible too, at a very nice price as well, but upon deep thought, I am not by nature ostentatious enough to carry a car like that off, in India.

I also got rather excited with the happy jollies of owning a Mini Cooper S - 3 door - JCW or even Magnaflow equipped exhaust system. And I almost bought an excellently kept used example at a fair price, a couple months ago. Again I stopped myself at the 11th hour.

Last Sunday I went and visited the Jeep showroom. I spent quite some time peering at the TrailHawk which frankly, is probably the only vehicle, which can at this moment, be in my personal consideration set as a possible replacement for my Yeti, given the choices available in India.

However, I just thought hard and said to myself, that while these are all lovely and all of them are most splendiferous and wondrous and enjoyable means of transportation, we still lack the conditions here in India to truly enjoy them - poor roads, horrible traffic, parking issues, vandalism, "evil eye" and so on.

(Other than the Jeep Compass that is, which is perfect in most ways, but very honestly, a little too big for my needs - and this is the main/ only reason for my not wanting to consider this as an option.)

And anyway, one can travel abroad once in a way and rent and drive all sorts of nice cars on nice roads and surfaces and enjoy them much better.

So the upshot of it all is that I have just decided to retain my dear old Silver Yeti.

Its been my "happy car" and my "daily driver" and I see no reason to try and fix what ain't broken.

It has been my faithful companion so far. I will keep it a few more years and attempt over the next few years to atleast hit 75000 on the clock, while maintaining it faithfully, and then maybe I will re-visit this whole "car ownership" thing again...

For now, SilverBigFoot, shall remain with me.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th July 2019 at 19:12.
shankar.balan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 19:07   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPains

If steeroid is not interested, PM me. I would like to buy another one.
deepfusion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 20:39   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
If steeroid is not interested, PM me. I would like to buy another one.
Sir, really? don’t tell me you are missing Laalu already!
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed