Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2019, 11:43   #2086
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For now, SilverBigFoot, shall remain with me.
Makes lot of sense. You've only done less than 50k so I recommend you keep it for a while until either maintenance or legislation forces you to give it up. ( I have lots of relatives in London who are now forced to sell their dirty diesels up north over the coming year!).
Old 21st July 2019, 12:10   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Sir, really? don’t tell me you are missing Laalu already!

I have been missing it since the day I parted with it. At the same time, vary happy that it has found a better partner than I would have been.

Red is a killer colour on the yeti. No doubts about it.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 08:56   #2088
BHPian

Hi,

My Skoda Yeti is a December' 2010 product and I have done under 39,000 km. As per the Kolkata dealers workshop, I need to replace my Water Pump and has given an estimate of approx. Rs. 24,000. Copy of Proforma Invoice is attached.

When clarification was sought on Point no.5 Repair Kit, they said it's the Timing Chain, which too has to be changed. Is this a fact? Please clarify, those in the know.

Secondly, do you think their quote is okay on all other aspects?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-screen-shot-20190730-8.42.47-am.png  

adkol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:02   #2089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkol View Post
Hi,

My Skoda Yeti is a December' 2010 product and I have done under 39,000 km. As per the Kolkata dealers workshop, I need to replace my Water Pump and has given an estimate of approx. Rs. 24,000. Copy of Proforma Invoice is attached.

When clarification was sought on Point no.5 Repair Kit, they said it's the Timing Chain, which too has to be changed. Is this a fact? Please clarify, those in the know.

Thanks
Yes the quote sounds about right.

Has the timing kit of your car been changed before? If it hasn't then the kit is being replaced since it is long due. A timing belt replacement is suggested every 1,00,000 Km or 7-8 years.

If the kit has undergone replacement before, then only the water pump and timing belt need to be changed IMO. The coolant might have dripped onto the belt and damaged it. But that shouldn't cost Rs. 24K.

If this is the second time your car is undergoing a timing kit replacement, make it a point to ask the advisor as to why the "Kit" is being replaced and not the belt only, especially since you have done 30K km only. If this is the first time you are getting the timing kit replaced, please do it ASAP.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:12   #2090
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
It is advisable to do this unless you wish to pay for a new engine later on. Most people replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. In your case, the water pump needs replacing and this is a good opportunity to replace the timing belt as it needs to be removed.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:19   #2091
BHPian

Ajmat / Vishy76, thank you for your advice. This is the first time the water pump is being changed, so I will give them the go ahead.
Vishy76, would you know or anyone on the forum the cost of Timing Chain and it's sundry parts, if any? The Skoda workshop has quoted me Rs.8,501 plus taxes.
adkol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 14:16   #2092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ajmat / Vishy76, thank you for your advice. This is the first time the water pump is being changed, so I will give them the go ahead.
Vishy76, would you know or anyone on the forum the cost of Timing Chain and it's sundry parts, if any? The Skoda workshop has quoted me Rs.8,501 plus taxes.
Refer to post 49 from this thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...mw-530d-4.html (Sasha: My candy white VW Jetta Trendline EDIT: Total loss! Update: Got a 2017 BMW 530D!)

The timing kit and water pump were replaced as the owner was facing a pump leakage. Don't know why they billed him and you separately for the pump though. It should be a part of the timing kit IIRC.

Attaching the image of his bill here. The price quoted seems perfectly fine to me. Just be aware that it might slightly exceed the quote since they sometimes forget to account for bolts and washers.
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-img_20181103_182139.jpg

Last edited by vishy76 : 1st August 2019 at 14:18.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:46   #2093
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

I think the quote shown is fair.

I got all this work and more done on my 7 year 7 month old Yeti (2011) model, a couple of weeks ago as I ve put down on this thread.

I also got the front discs changed and sundry other works.

Well worth the spend to keep an already good and well kept car in top shape.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 23:42   #2094

Hi guys
I have a Skoda Yeti 4x2 2012 model which I absolutely adore. I had gone to the Skoda showroom as I had some work done on my Laura(since sold) when I saw this car which reminded me of a overgrown Wagon r. I remember making a joke about it and the showroom guys asked me to take a TD and boy am I glad I did. I instantly fell in love with the Yeti and booked it on the spot(4x4 was out of my budget).

2 days later my dads official car was delayed somewhere and he borrowed the Yeti. Well that day it became his car. He retired a few months later and well he decided that the Yeti was all the car he needed.

I gifted him a BMW 3 series in 2015(sold my laura) and asked for the Yeti. Well dad took one ride in the BMW and promptly announced that he found it to low and was comfortable in the Yeti.

So in March this year we decided to change my wife’s honda city AT(6 years). After trying out many cars we decided on the Tuscan. Well we did a game of passing the parcel.
Dad got the Tuscon. Wifey got the BMW (I am a 5.4 96 kg power lifter. Low seating kills me after a workout so I now understand what dad meant)

S cross is family workhorse.(kids school, swimming, classes, karate etc)

I had the option of another new car or the Yeti. I kept the Yeti. I have always had a soft corner for some cars. I kept my old baleno for 13 years before I sold it. The Yeti is the same. I intend to keep it for some years.

I maintain all the cars in the house. Now the Yeti has done 80000 kms. Front suspension needs to be replaced. Should I get it done now or wait for monsoons to subside. And should I go with OEM or any upgrade is there. Only front suspension is required.

I have changed clutch at 70000. OEM tyres at 33500 with upsized yokohama’s. They still have good thread on them. 10000-15000 kms I think

What I really need is a good info/music system with reversing camera(with tracking lines) if possible and Apple carplay and bluetooth. Is there any way I can get steering mounted controls.

I do about 80 kms daily so the Yeti will now see good usage. I change cars frequently(4-6 years) The Baleno and now the Yeti are exceptions.

I really want to keep this car for many years so all inputs and advice is welcome.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th August 2019 at 13:37. Reason: Formating post.
Ashboyt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 19:16   #2095
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashboyt View Post
Hi guys

I have a skoda yeti 4x2 2012 model which I absolutely adore.

I have always had a soft corner for some cars. I kept my old baleno for 13 years before I sold it. The yeti is the same. I intend to keep it for some years.
Front suspension needs to be replaced. Should I get it done now or wait for monsoons to subside. And should I go with OEM or any upgrade is there. Only front suspension is required.

I have changed clutch at 70000

OEM tyres at 33500 with upsized yokohama’s. They still have good thread on them. 10000-15000 kms I think

What I really need is a good info/music system with reversing camera(with tracking lines) if possible and apple carplay and Bluetooth.

Is there any way I can get steering mounted controls.

I really want to keep this car for many years so all inputs and advice is welcome.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post

Lovely to hear your experience as a fellow Yeti Man.

I request you to read the posts by ITNerd on the thread called 'My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4
Elegance'.

Also another thread by him called Skoda Yeti replacing the RCD510...

Here you will find lots of insightful info on the upgrades he has done.

I would definitely do the front suspension
Asap irrespective of the monsoons.

I would suggest you stay with the upsized Yokohamas for our horrible roads. I use Falkens (one size bigger) and they are pretty good too.

And since you've already changed the clutch at 70K Im thinking no worries on that front for now.

Im hoping that you did indeed change the timing gear and water pump and tensioner belt and all because these things need replacement at 7 -8 years or 1 lac kms whichever comes earlier.

All the best!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 21:13   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I would suggest you do take a second opinion, rather than spending 50k or whatever.

Akshay, i have some questions and may be more in time to come as i picked up a 50+k run yeti a couple of days ago.

1 ) The Brake assist sensitivity and the sport differential setting which you have done through the vcds, Can you those be done at the skoda ASC using their vagcom. i do not want to spend 20k on the ross tech cable.

2) I read on the forum about the vw diesel fix affecting the drivability of the car. has that happened to you. And how would i know if that update is made on the vehicle.

3) what is the stock front brake rotors diameter on a yeti 4x4 elegance. 280, 288 or 312 mm.

4) what is the head unit upgrade available today to have bluetooth and nav. i do not want to lose climatronics info.

5) has the haldex filter been changed by anyone here or is it just the oil which has been changed. Here's a video of the gen 4 haldex filter which basically pops out using the vcds.

Yeti owners, please share your thoughts.
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:34   #2097
BHPian

My Yeti had completed 100k and had given for timing kit replacement and Haldex oil change (which wasn't changed earlier). When I took my vehicle delivery from Authorized service centre, I received the invoice copy wherein they had mentioned Axle oil in place of Haldex oil and also the no. oil mentioned on the bottle was different from the one mentioned on this forum by other members.

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-haldex-oil.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-invoice.jpg

Is this the correct oil which my advisor has replaced ?

Also while taking the delivery of the vehicle i noticed that the cover of roof rail front was missing, the A.S.S. picked up the vehicle from home and at that time they didnt click the pictures and i am 100% sure it was there at time of pick up, but unfortunately i have no proof of the same. My mistake of trusting Skoda again.. Any idea from where to get it replace the A.S.S. is quoting Rs.2400/- for this small plastic part (ridiculous).
amit_i is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 23:55   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post
My Yeti had completed 100k and had given for timing kit replacement and Haldex oil change (which wasn't changed earlier). When I took my vehicle delivery from Authorized service centre, I received the invoice copy wherein they had mentioned Axle oil in place of Haldex oil and also the no. oil mentioned on the bottle was different from the one mentioned on this forum by other members.
[
That is differential oil. Hence you see axle oil in the parts section and haldex coupling oil in the labour part of the bill. Now, if that will do or not i have no idea. Go through the specs of that oil with this G055175A2 vw. worth a while to compare with this haldex oil https://www.haldexparts.com/4th-gen-...2-for-awd.html.

Tell your service centre to order the correct oil and replace it again. i am sure they do not have stock of it.

Also, i see timing kit is replaced but not water pump. it is general practice to replace it along with that. clutch master cylinder is replaced. did you have issue with the clutch

Last edited by blackbeast : 3rd September 2019 at 00:13.
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:33   #2099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
That is differential oil. Hence you see axle oil in the parts section and haldex coupling oil in the labour part of the bill. Now, if that will do or not i have no idea. Go through the specs of that oil with this G055175A2 vw. worth a while to compare with this haldex oil https://www.haldexparts.com/4th-gen-...2-for-awd.html.

Tell your service centre to order the correct oil and replace it again. i am sure they do not have stock of it.

Also, i see timing kit is replaced but not water pump. it is general practice to replace it along with that. clutch master cylinder is replaced. did you have issue with the clutch

With regards to the oil i think they have messed up, have taken up the matter with Skoda lets wait for their reply.

The water pump was changed some time ago and hence didnt need any replacement. There was the issue in shifting the gears and hence they found the clutch cylinder had worn out and it needed replacement.
amit_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 18:57   #2100
BHPian

The skoda authorised service centre Stellar Ahmedabad made a blunder while, changing Haldex oil and it is still not accepting its mistake. The oil which they billed me different, the pictures of the oil bottle sent by service agent.
1) The invoice shows G 052145 - which i under is the axle oil for front and rear differentials.
2) The picture of the empty oil bottle shows G 052182 - which is DSG transmission fluid.

Today again i went and confronted the service manager and even shared with him the link of this forum and the various such incidents in the past with other members but he is still not ready to accept the issue.

Can someone share with me the invoice copy showing the correct Haldex oil which was changed in their vehicle.
amit_i is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks