Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 05:17   #166
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Excellent details by our GTO,
however this car is tempting, but people don't wanna look Taxi Driver with that stupid, ugly speedo-meter in the center of dash.
Come on toyota are you Targetting this car for Taxi purpose only :-(
Old 24th December 2010, 07:37   #167
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, as usual!!

I do not like the rear looks - reminds me of Logan. The speedo meter at the center of the dash has spoiled the interior. I am disappointed about the lack of dead pedal and seat height adjustment - matter a lot for a tall guy like me.

I am sure the vehicle will sell like hot cakes considering that it is a value for money TOYOTA. The performance and other aspects seem good for the targeted segment.

I am sure Manza will feel the heat. Swift, only to some extent considering that a vast majority of middle class Indians are obsessed with mileage, low maintenance, the feature list and mainly, the price.
Old 24th December 2010, 08:31   #168
Senior - BHPian

Thats too much cost cutting by Toyota. The fit and finish seems decent but nothing outstanding. As per the review the motor is tuned for fuel efficiency, but can a 1.5 litre engine compare to what the frugal 1.2 K series in the Dzire is able to give? Fuel efficiency could be a major factor especially for a low cost petrol sedan.
Old 24th December 2010, 15:53   #169
BHPian

It would be interesting to see how Toyota would cater to a vast demand for Etios as quickly as possible. People are not going to wait for 8 to 12 months and would rather go for a Manza/Dzire.

For me if Toyota can ramp up the capacity and bring down the waiting period to not more than 3 months then Etios is sure to be a hit in the market since as a complete package it sure hits the right spots.
Old 24th December 2010, 16:19   #170
BHPian

i noticed that the single wiper is mentioned as good for the driver. I fail to see how? Also, how do these perform in regions where there is heavy downpour like the coastal regions. Would be interesting to know from the eventual owners.

In one of the C&B shows, it was mentioned that the single wiper will be replaced by standard 2 wipers in the production models. Is that accurate information? Let us know.

Thanks
askids
Old 24th December 2010, 16:34   #171
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
is it the same Test car GTO got to review ??
Don't think so. For starters, the body shade is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
you would thrash the car for being too much el-cheapo.
Thrashing where it's deserved, pat on the back where it's deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The Etios Engine Specs and weight looks very close to the Baleno. I hope, the driveability is the same as well.

Etios power = 90ps @5600rpm for a kerb weight of 930kg
vs
Baleno's = 91ps @5500 rpm for 985kg

==> baleno like drag power

Etios Peak Torque of 132 Nm@3000rpm
vs
Baleno's 130.5 Nm@3000rpm

==> peppy accelerator response even on higher gears

Inspite of the cheapness in many interior parts, I would still recommend this car for the following reasons.

1) Peppy Engine
2) Space
3) Toyota Service and Reliability
4) Good fuel effieciency
5) Cheap price
6) Huge boot space
Good observation. Yes, the power output is indeed identical to the erstwhile Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
From your test drive experience, in terms of driving comfort and driver seat comfort, which car do you think is better? Etios or Dzire?
Definitely the Dzire. Reasons:

- Instrument console placed where it should be

- Height adjustable seat is more accommodating

- Dzire steering & gearshift are nice too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
0-100 kmph: 11.38s
Nice, nice, nice! I was right. The Etios' sprinting capability is the quickest in class. In fact, it matches right up to cars like the Vento diesel & the Linea T-Jet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am sure Manza will feel the heat.
100% agreed. The Manza will feel the heat more than the Dzire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askids View Post
i noticed that the single wiper is mentioned as good for the driver. I fail to see how?
XL size sweep. Not saying it's better than the conventional dual wiper placement. Just an observation on whether the sweep works for the driver. Also note that the single wiper may not be ideal for the passenger's visibility.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:07   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Thats too much cost cutting by Toyota. The fit and finish seems decent but nothing outstanding. As per the review the motor is tuned for fuel efficiency, but can a 1.5 litre engine compare to what the frugal 1.2 K series in the Dzire is able to give? Fuel efficiency could be a major factor especially for a low cost petrol sedan.
the 1.6L Baleno gave more mileage than 1.3L Esteem. The reason was the high torque at low rpms.

The Etios has almost the same specs as that of the Baleno ( if not better ) and hence should be able to give a better mileage for being able to ride on higher gears on low speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Instrument console placed where it should be
In the video that Toyota displays in the showroom regarding Etios, they claim that the speedometer on the center is done to improve safety, since the change in angle when looking at the center console and then to the road is less than when we do it from the normal design speedometer placed behind the steering. Is there any logic to it? Or is it just marketing ploy ?

My personal opinion is also tilted towards the conventional style rather than the center console.

Quote:
- Dzire steering & gearshift are nice too
Is the Dzire steering & gear shift better than the Etios ?

Quote:
XL size sweep. Not saying it's better than the conventional dual wiper placement. Just an observation on whether the sweep works for the driver. Also note that the single wiper may not be ideal for the passenger's visibility.
Is it really for cost cutting that Toyota did a single wiper ? Or is there a logical reason for that as well ?

Last edited by Amartya : 24th December 2010 at 22:47. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:47   #173
BHPian

Excellent review GTO .

Just returned from UTTAM toyota showroom in noida sec- 62, delivery will be next year around October november . No display / TD vehicle so far in showroom .
Old 24th December 2010, 18:28   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the 1.6L Baleno gave more mileage than 1.3L Esteem. The reason was the high torque at low rpms.

The Etios has almost the same specs as that of the Baleno ( if not better ) and hence should be able to give a better mileage for being able to ride on higher gears on low speeds.
Totally agree with you. But my concern is that the 1.3 esteem engine was never very fuel efficient however the new 1.2 is already one of the most fuel efficient engines in india. So it remains to be seen whether the new toyota engine can really better the k series 1.2 which has received excellent reviews and has many happy users every where. If the toyota engine can even match the suzuki engine efficiency it would really be something.

Last edited by SPARKled : 24th December 2010 at 18:31.
Old 24th December 2010, 18:45   #175
BHPian

I just went to the showroom next to my office with apprehensions. As expected, most of the showroom crowd was around the Etios. You can imagine all kind of people around it, 3-4 salesmen, few executives with ties admiring it, families, kids shouting its name as 'eetooos' ' eeetooosss' car. You can bet that this car had got the attention of all.

As soon as I stepped in I was greeted by an enthusiastic salesguy (SG for short). As soon as I mentioned Etios, he rushed behind a desk and came back running with two sheets of paper. One that had the specs and pictures of the Etios and the other with the pricing details. Oh lest I forget, there was a diary in his hand with notes on what then car. I'm assuming these were made during his training for the sales of Etios. These had few pages of scribbled info, check lists, tables and all.

He started with the front passenger side of the car and started explaining each and every details of the car to the best of his ability, trying to highlight all that is good about the car. The showroom was clearly overloaded and in between he had to accommodate another prospect. So he had to do the same routine again with him, but I was impressed by his eagerness and ability to manage both.

Coming to my views on the car (note there is no test drive yet :-) ).
1. Car is quite big and spacious on the inside.
2. The seats look a bit slim and flimsy, but I guess thats what gives it the additional room.
3. Plastics: Absolutely made with cost in mind. Three words for it: Flimsy, thin, cheap. All made for the price but finish was OK. I wouldn't say Toyota quality.
4. The racy red colours in the V and VX variant look out of place in a car of this segment and type.
5. Speedo console: In your face design which I did not like. The SG though said that its a true beauty at nights... hmmm... I wonder what he meant... hmmmmm
6. RVM: Again cheap stick on types. Built for the price.
7. Audio system and center console: Very functional system in place with average quality. The finish did not seem of very quality, buttons were a little out of place and looked like the writing on them would fade off (note: looked like, I did't say "will" ).
8. Boot space: Quite huge. Nothing much to add here. The rear shelf has provision to add speakers in the rear (not standard, it has only 4 in the front as standard).
9. Rear seats: Flat seats that can seat 3 adults comfortably without an issue. Not sure if the cushioning on the seats would be comfortable for long drives.
10. Just about everything you see on the top end can be added as an accessory to the car, the list includes, chrome lining (console,grille,rear...all over the car), parking sensor, fog lamps, skirting, etc. In fact there was a separate brochure with all the things that can be added as an accessory to the car. But the quality again was very plasticky and was giving a feeling that it would crack if dropped.
11. The engine bay seemed so empty! There is a lot of space left there. I wonder what else I can pack in there.

Final points:
VFM car made for the masses
Great engine specs (hope it performs well, can say only after test drives commence from Jan 1st week)
Very spacious inside for the segment
Very Un-Toyota like quality of plastics inside.

For the benefit of people in Bengaluru:

Prices:
Model OTR Price
EJ(J) 5,87,480
EI(G) 6,54,227
EH (G SP) 7,14,240
EG(V) 7,66,742
EF(VX) 8,20,814

Minimum booking amount is Rs. 50,000 (fully refundable with interest!). And the long waiting list can be anywhere from 5-6 months. Earlier if you are lucky due to some cancellations.

This is all I could get from my brief visit to the showroom. That's all folks!!

Second smiley:
Old 24th December 2010, 19:58   #176
BHPian

This car ETIOS is a threat to Honda City also....one of my friend who was almost certain to buy the City instead booked the ETIOS last week ! The price was the major issue and the test drive was as good as the ANHC.
Old 24th December 2010, 22:34   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
This car ETIOS is a threat to Honda City also....one of my friend who was almost certain to buy the City instead booked the ETIOS last week ! The price was the major issue and the test drive was as good as the ANHC.
Quite possible, people who buys the ANHC for the brand or the badge might prefer to buy the Etios for the same reason as it is cheaper.
But frankly, the Etios is truly a segment below.

On the impressive acceleration numbers, it was expected because of the feather-light weight of the Etios. But thinking practically, if the motor is not rev-happy and screams at higher rpms (>4500 rpm), it is almost impossible to achieve those numbers in the real world. On the other hand, other good rev happy engines like the DZire's K12 will happily go to the redline and hence the acceleration numbers will be much closer to what the road test numbers will indicate. My 2 cents.
Old 24th December 2010, 22:45   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Totally agree with you. But my concern is that the 1.3 esteem engine was never very fuel efficient however the new 1.2 is already one of the most fuel efficient engines in india. So it remains to be seen whether the new toyota engine can really better the k series 1.2 which has received excellent reviews and has many happy users every where. If the toyota engine can even match the suzuki engine efficiency it would really be something.
ARAI says
Etios 1.5L = 17.6 kmpl
Swift Dzire 1.2L K Series = 17.94kmpl

But, as per my knowledge, ARAI tests are done on ideal condition. But, in actual city drive kind of condition, the engine with higher torque at a low rpm has its advantage, because we'll be able to drive in higher gears. Not to forget that the Etios is 100Kg lighter than the Dzire.

So, I guess, the Etios should give a higher mileage value in the city compared to the K Series which cannot boast of the low end torque. Even on highways, if we just go by the ARAI figures, it's more over the same for both these cars.
Old 25th December 2010, 00:12   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ARAI says
Etios 1.5L = 17.6 kmpl
Swift Dzire 1.2L K Series = 17.94kmpl

But, as per my knowledge, ARAI tests are done on ideal condition. But, in actual city drive kind of condition, the engine with higher torque at a low rpm has its advantage, because we'll be able to drive in higher gears. Not to forget that the Etios is 100Kg lighter than the Dzire.

So, I guess, the Etios should give a higher mileage value in the city compared to the K Series which cannot boast of the low end torque. Even on highways, if we just go by the ARAI figures, it's more over the same for both these cars.

The mileage calculation is not so simple. Just to say that the car with the higher torque at lower rpms gives better mileage is oversimplifying the matter. It depends on too many factors and the overall efficiency of the engine.

I will give a simple example -
The Polo petrol has a higher torque at lower rpms compared to say the Swift K12 motor.
But, Swift is clearly the most fuel efficient car. (See the test-drive section in TBHP).

Same case with the Santro and say, the A-star. Santro has higher torque at lower rpms but A-star is the more Fuel efficient.
Old 25th December 2010, 00:27   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Etios Engine Specs and weight looks very close to the Baleno. I hope, the driveability is the same as well.

Etios power = 90ps @5600rpm for a kerb weight of 930kg
vs
Baleno's = 91ps @5500 rpm for 985kg

==> baleno like drag power

Etios Peak Torque of 132 Nm@3000rpm
vs
Baleno's 130.5 Nm@3000rpm

==> peppy accelerator response even on higher gears

1) Peppy Engine
I doubt if this car is a good match for Baleno.
First of all, Baleno's interiors are better than what Etios has. I can tell you this because cost cutting is not given prim importance. The AC ventilation option switches feel very good to operate along with the switch gear. Yes, they look dated, but overall cheap feeling as mentioned by others is absent in Baleno. After I have a look at Etios, I will again check back, but after looking at images, Baleno's interiors are better IMO. Also the instrument cluster is at the correct position + is easy to read.

Next comes suspension. I am yet to drive Etios, but from what I have read, Etios does not have all round independent suspension. Baleno has all round McPherson strut suspension all round. The ride quality of Baleno is very good.

Next, the steering. HPS wins the game against EPS. Feebback is nice and confidence even at 140-150 is present in Baleno.

While driving, Baleno never feels as if its a cost cutting sedan.

The best part is engine. Where as Etios engine is not happy at higer revs, Baleno's unit is. Though dated as compared to newer generation engines, Baleno's motor makes drive enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
  • 0-100 kmph: 11.38s
  • 5th: 181 kph@5200rpm
Quote:
Good observation. Yes, the power output is indeed identical to the erstwhile Baleno.
0-100 is only slightly slower than Baleno! But I am sure it wont as much fun as Baleno.
The gearing is higher than Baleno from the figures, but as the motor is not revv happy, then high speed cruising wont be as much fun as it is in Baleno which feel at home even at 4500 rpm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks