Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 20:31   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
A
And as GTO said, inspite of shifting at 4000, the Etios was still quicker which means 0.5 second loss in shifting gears during low speeds also doesn't prevent Etios from being the quicker among the 2. You heard it from the person who drove it. You don't need to redline the Etios to beat the Dzire in speed.
And it's not surprising, because the torque curve is 'imported', from a segment above.

Again, after all it's a 1.5 L engine & is supposed to serve the job without putting strain on the engine, and that's exactly what the Etios does.
I dont think GTO said so. I would like him to clarify.
Because it is a theoretical point and nobody would have check the acceleration of Etios by limiting the revs till 4000 rpm.
What he meant was that if the Etios is revved well(much beyond 4000 rpm), then it will out accelerate the DZire which I know and agree.
But that was not my point.

Again, an engine which does not rev smoothly till the redline sounds like an archaic engine to me. And what is the funda about not straining the engine?
It is not a new born baby. Rather, an engine and a petrol motor in particular (other than the running-in period) should be revved like hell

Last edited by adimicra : 31st December 2010 at 20:33.
Old 1st January 2011, 01:17   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I dont think GTO said so. I would like him to clarify.
Because it is a theoretical point and nobody would have check the acceleration of Etios by limiting the revs till 4000 rpm.
What he meant was that if the Etios is revved well(much beyond 4000 rpm), then it will out accelerate the DZire which I know and agree.
We'll wait for GTO's clarification on it.

Quote:
But that was not my point.

Again, an engine which does not rev smoothly till the redline sounds like an archaic engine to me. And what is the funda about not straining the engine?
It is not a new born baby. Rather, an engine and a petrol motor in particular (other than the running-in period) should be revved like hell

The bottomline is you simply cannot compare a 1.5L Japanese Petrol Engine with the performance of 1.2L Japanese Petrol Engine ( However modern it is ) especially when the minimum torque of 1.5L is approximately equal to the maximum torque of 1.2L

Now, I'll illustrate with another comparison. Forget about the torque advantage that the Etios engine have. Forget about the advantages of the torque peaking at the mid range.

Suppose we are going to use the Etios only for one purpose, and that's for drag racing.
We can also ignore the timing advantage due to the peak torque at mid range.
We'll take the case where the torque linearly increase ( like in the case of Dzire ) to 119Nm at 5000 rpm.

The PS at 5000 rpm equates to 84.29,
and by 5100, it'll take it over 85PS.

The swift needs to continue till 6000 rpm to achieve the same figure. Now, please note that I haven't considered the timing gain due to the 13Nm of additional torque that the Etios engine have at the mid range. So, if even without those considering the additional torque advantage, the Etios gives the same BHP as that of the DZIRE at 900 rpms less.
You consider the torque gain, and I'm pretty sure Etios shifting at 4700 to 4800 will give the same drag advantage as Dzire shifting at 6000rpm. Again, this is without considering the 100Kg lighter kerb weight of the Etios. You consider that and the figures will be much better.

you simply cannot compare both these engines. They belong to different class.

And HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL BHPIANS

Last edited by amalji : 1st January 2011 at 01:19.
Old 1st January 2011, 10:03   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Doesn't make a difference. If the engine is buzzy and does not sound refined at high rpm's it does not mean that you upshift early cos the engine is not smooth.

It's a relative perception. The Corolla Altis also has a buzzy engine but that does not mean I don't rev the engine. It sees 4000-6000rpm very regularly with my driving.

The fact remains that the Etios is the fastest car in that segment however you drive it. Power to weight ratio, perfect gearing and good torque means the best all rounder.
Old 1st January 2011, 10:37   #259
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For the record, neither is the ANHC as revv-happy as the OHC (nowhere as revv-happy, actually) nor is the Linea T-Jet. Yet, either of them are at the top of their segment when it comes to performance. From our ownership reports:

Quote:
But as the revv meter climbs, our reviews indicate that the engine develops a coarse edge. All said and done, the engine does not like the redline as much as say the 1st generation OHC Vtec
Might have to do a back to back comparo, but I'm pretty sure even the Jazz is smoother on the redline than the ANHC.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:10   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What he meant was that the it's difficult to unmount/remount a part on a FIAT/Ford. Another example is for replacing/fixing something the speedometer, you might end up unmounting a lot a parts.
I seriously doubt the validity of the above fact.

Even if it's true, we won't be having any problems as long as the mechanics at the service centre are able to fix an issue.

Quote:
hehehe. Someone in my family might book it. And yes, certainly will add a review here.
That sounds good. Please don't fail to create an ownership thread here with lots of drool worthy images.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:17   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For the record, neither is the ANHC as revv-happy as the OHC (nowhere as revv-happy, actually) nor is the Linea T-Jet. Yet, either of them are at the top of their segment when it comes to performance. From our ownership reports:

Might have to do a back to back comparo, but I'm pretty sure even the Jazz is smoother on the redline than the ANHC.
Yes sir. The ANHC ( I have an automatic version of this car) is definitely not happy at revs >4500, even though this is where the engine is at its most spirited. The coarse rasp of the engine (quite removed from the OHC's engine note ) actually feels that the engine is pulling itself to bits to give you the added performance.

This is a definite put off on what is otherwise a fantastic engine
Old 1st January 2011, 20:35   #262
Senior - BHPian

Very detailed review. Really!

I did'nt liked a few of unfinished works of Etios:

1) The front boot space (as seen in driver side photo showing acc.....) has very badly incorporated CARPET. Looking in the picture itself tells that it is picked from 1999-2000 Indica's. Look at them very cheaply done.

2) The space between the front 2 seats is not designed as it has tobe. Looking like another 1999-2000 cars.

3) That RED theme su*ks badly.

4) In picture itself I could see steering wheel blocking some of the view of speedometer.(correct me please?)

5) Overall fit and finish looks in the pictures like an 2003 Indigo. Nothing more to me.

Thanks.

Last edited by Amartya : 1st January 2011 at 21:38. Reason: Minor Edit: Removed extra smiley.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:49   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
1) The front boot space....
Front boot space? That's something I've never heard of!

Quote:
4) In picture itself I could see steering wheel blocking some of the view of speedometer.(correct me please?)
I just had a look at the image you were referring. I don't think that steering wheel would block the view of speedometer. (I've assumed that the image was clicked by by stretching the hands while sitting in the driver seat).

Did I end up confusing you?

PS: Your post has 3 smileys. I guess, it's against the rules of the forum.

Last edited by Klub Class : 1st January 2011 at 20:50.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:57   #264
BHPian

Great work GTO
I think what makes this car stand out is its aggressive pricing and reliability of Toyota. If I am not wrong, this vehicle's is sold out for six months well before its launch.
Way to go Toyota!!
Old 1st January 2011, 21:00   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Front boot space? That's something I've never heard of!

I am no good in 'Technical language of automobiles', By boot space I meant the leg-space\bottom\floor in the front.

I just had a look at the image you were referring. I don't think that steering wheel would block the view of speedometer. (I've assumed that the image was clicked by by stretching the hands while sitting in the driver seat).

Hmm... My assumption was based on the picture.

Did I end up confusing you?

Yes, a big deal.

PS: Your post has 3 smileys. I guess, it's against the rules of the forum.

What could I do now?? Mistakes happen, I could only try to avoid them as far as I could. APOLOGIES for that.
Answers in bold. BTW, what is the correct term for front leg-space\floor?

Last edited by mercedised : 1st January 2011 at 21:03.
Old 1st January 2011, 21:31   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am no good in 'Technical language of automobiles', By boot space I meant the leg-space\bottom\floor in the front?
For the record, even I have hardly any knowledge on cars. It's T-BHP and T-BHPians that have helped me to learn at least few things.

And I agree with you on the way the carpet has been incorporated. It really shouts that the car is built to a price!

Quote:
Hmm... My assumption was based on the picture.
Never mind. Even my assumptions are based on the pictures I've come across in T-BHP.

Yes, I'm yet to see Toyota Etios in flesh.

Quote:
Yes, a big deal.
It's my bad that I ended up confusing you.Let me try whether I can make the things more simpler.

Imagine that you're seated in the drivers seat. While clicking a picture( similar to what you've seen in the first page of this thread), you will be naturally stretching your hands a bit, right? So, wouldn't that be unfair to judge the things that way?

But still you'll be able to see the readings on the speedometer as the there is a quite a distance between your eyes & the speedometer and there will be hardly anything which blocks your vision in between.

Please have a look at the attached image (please pardon my poor drawing skills and all). If you're still confused, let me pray that someone might throw some light on the same.

Quote:
what is the correct term for front leg-space\floor?
I guess, it is legroom.

PS: Yes, the image accompanying has been copied from the Internet. Shamelessly.

EDIT : I forgot to upload the image. Done!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-1854283814_7d84b73c8d2.jpg  

Last edited by Klub Class : 1st January 2011 at 21:36.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2011, 21:44   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Never mind. Even my assumptions are based on the pictures I've come across in T-BHP.
About the carpet, I bet you're also talking about this picture, It islooking like a decade old carpet and fit&finish:

See how bad is this piece of work looking, just like an 2003 Indigo or even a Indica NA.

No match of whitish-grey\red colours in the theme:

Yes, it is cleared now, as I have driven Vista, I did'nt have any problem with centre console, but the Rectangular design and awkward design of the whole speedometer is so confusing. Thanks for the picture

Last edited by mercedised : 1st January 2011 at 21:45.
Old 2nd January 2011, 03:37   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very detailed review. Really!

I did'nt liked a few of unfinished works of Etios:

1) The front leg room (as seen in driver side photo showing acc.....) has very badly incorporated CARPET. Looking in the picture itself tells that it is picked from 1999-2000 Indica's. Look at them very cheaply done.
True. But, again practicality comes in. They built a roomy interior ( got the fundamentals right ), and then gave us the option to upgrade such things like the carpet, if we need to. That's how the Etios is built to the price.
Good Engine ( best in class performance ),
Good space,
good ride comfort ( arguably the best in class ),
good boot space ( best in class ) &
a mileage which is closely matched to the best 1.2L K-Series engine ( 17.4 vs 17.94 ). And, I hope, the city mileage of Etios can even beat the K-Series

What they have compensated is on the plastics and floorings.

Quote:
2) The space between the front 2 seats is not designed as it has tobe. Looking like another 1999-2000 cars.
I did not understand this. Could you please make it more clear ?

Quote:
3) That RED theme su*ks badly.
100% Agree to you. It's neither classy, nor sporty. When you see it in real, it looks worse than the photo. Looks like a faded cloth! Seat covers a must on this vehicle. The standard Toyota seat covers costs 7000 odd, I believe. That should give it a better look.

The grey/black combination on the non-topend models looks better than the faded red!

Quote:
Doesn't block at all. I hope, @KlubClass has made it clear.

Quote:
5) Overall fit and finish looks in the pictures like an 2003 Indigo. Nothing more to me.
Thanks.
Better than that, I would say, because some of the designs like the A/C vents, dash, and glove box are done smartly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Great work GTO
I think what makes this car stand out is its aggressive pricing and reliability of Toyota. If I am not wrong, this vehicle's is sold out for six months well before its launch.
Way to go Toyota!!
Last day, I went with my friend to Toyota showroom in Kochi. And the waiting period is 10 to 12 months! He was put off by that. Toyota is going to lose a lot of customers due to this!

And on my last visit to Toyota showroom, I thought long and hard, if ever I will like that center speedometer console ( not because it's center ), but the toy like display on it! What was Toyota thinking over there? I have no idea. The salesman says it will look good in the night with the white dial. Will have to see it for myself.

Last edited by amalji : 2nd January 2011 at 03:45.
Old 2nd January 2011, 06:49   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And on my last visit to Toyota showroom, I thought long and hard, if ever I will like that center speedometer console ( not because it's center ), but the toy like display on it! What was Toyota thinking over there? I have no idea. The salesman says it will look good in the night with the white dial. Will have to see it for myself.
Got the night look of the Etios speedo from a video ad. Uploading it. Looks better than the toy look at day.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-etios_speedo_night.jpeg  

Old 2nd January 2011, 15:29   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Answers in bold. BTW, what is the correct term for front leg-space\floor?
A proper term for it would be "footwell" or "drivers footwell".

And yes it does look poorly finished,but then GTO said it was pre-production car so i hope things will get ironed out by the time they start deliveries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks