Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 18:34   #361
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Brain View Post
Assuming that you're referring to the power assisted steering, I don't think that it would be possible.

No dealer would be interested in making your dream a reality by messing up the entire electricals, wiring etc.

I might be wrong, so feel free to correct me.
Actually a lot of cars do offer a switch to change the EPS mode, more over the ECU has an option to revert to a fail safe mode which is the manual steering option. Whether the solution is via software or H/W I dont care, all I am asking is an option.

I do agree that the dealer might not be willing to do this, let me provide this as a feedback to Toyota and lets see what happens.
Old 29th January 2011, 10:18   #362
Senior - BHPian

Some of us may want to build and see the car. A good initiative by Toyota to build your car with their so called genuine accessories. Just gives a perspective on the costing.

.:Make My Car:.

Just one thing though, these costs would be only MRPs without the labour. As it turns out the DVD system is quoted at MRP of 15680 and the dealerships quote at about 18k with labour for fitment. Unnecessary premium charged for effort they need for such a simple fitment.
Old 30th January 2011, 11:35   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Actually a lot of cars do offer a switch to change the EPS mode, more over the ECU has an option to revert to a fail safe mode which is the manual steering option. Whether the solution is via software or H/W I dont care, all I am asking is an option.

I do agree that the dealer might not be willing to do this, let me provide this as a feedback to Toyota and lets see what happens.
Hope Toyota really takes note of this. As I tested upto 80kph, there was no change in the response in the steering. This is going to be quite a safety risk at higher speeds for sure if the response is like this only. I had given the same feedback to the dealership and later on Toyota site. If maybe lot of the motoring world starts giving simila feedback to Toyota, they will take a note of it and do something about it earlier for better driving safety.

It will be interesting to see if any after-market solution appears for this. The dealers are atleast averse to this and in fact seemingly not-knowing and clueless about such a response from the steering.

Last edited by parsh : 30th January 2011 at 11:38.
Old 30th January 2011, 23:39   #364
Senior - BHPian

My brother happened to take a TD today afternoon and check it out above 80 upto 100+ (but not possible to test beyond 110). There was noticeable feedback from the steering at higher speeds and probably may not have so much issue at higher speeds as against anticipated so far. We got to get more feedback from people having driven at higher speeds for sure.

Last edited by parsh : 30th January 2011 at 23:40.
Old 31st January 2011, 08:37   #365
Team-BHP Support

The feedback from the Etios steering is not so bad. Anyone who has driven an Altis then drives the Etios will understand what I'm saying.

The Etios offers way more feedback than the Altis and the steering of the Etios is better weighted than the Altis as well.

If you compare it with other cars like Linea and Fiesta forget it you will like they disconnected it from the steering rack. Compare it with the Altis or Vento or any EPS car and it's not so bad.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:03   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
There was noticeable feedback from the steering at higher speeds and probably may not have so much issue at higher speeds as against anticipated so far.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If you compare it with other cars like Linea and Fiesta forget it you will like they disconnected it from the steering rack. Compare it with the Altis or Vento or any EPS car and it's not so bad.
Yes, I was comparing it with the Indica and Civic.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:09   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

A Relative asked me to suggest a sensible petrol car in the the price range of 6-7 lakhs. Looks were not important but other aspects like FE, Space, Boot, Resale value, trouble free nature etc were important. I suggested him to take a look at Etios.

He called me day later and said he liked this car but the dealer said Delivery not before Sep '11. Toyota lost a customer.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:51   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The feedback from the Etios steering is not so bad. Anyone who has driven an Altis then drives the Etios will understand what I'm saying.

The Etios offers way more feedback than the Altis and the steering of the Etios is better weighted than the Altis as well.

Etios may not have the best steering feedback as a Fiesta/ Linea, but it has an excellent turning radius , a big boon in city driving conditions.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:21   #369
BHPian

My BIL had booked Etios in 2nd week of December. And, he was given a delivery date of July' 11.

Yesterday, he got a call from the dealer, and was told that Toyota has increased the production, and he can expect to get the car as early as in March' 2011.

I believe others can too expect faster deliveries. Please get in touch with your sales person.
Old 31st January 2011, 23:55   #370

Yes I also think that the car would be delivered earlier then the initially promised date by the dealers. While booking the car , I was given the tentative delivery date as May . Few days back I got a letter from the dealer saying that my car would be delivered by April , even this may be advanced. Toyota doesnt want to lose any customer now.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:05   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive4fun View Post
Yes I also think that the car would be delivered earlier then the initially promised date by the dealers. While booking the car , I was given the tentative delivery date as May . Few days back I got a letter from the dealer saying that my car would be delivered by April , even this may be advanced. Toyota doesnt want to lose any customer now.
What was your booking date ?
Old 1st February 2011, 23:24   #372

I booked it on 5th Of December .
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:51   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like that nothing much can be done about the plastics provided inside the car, but could someone clarify if the carpet etc. provided inside the car can be replaced either through the dealer or otherwise ??
The carpet definitely is a let down, strands peeling and hanging out of it and easy to get spoiled very soon. I think there would lot of after-market laminations available and hope that Toyota dealers make it available at the dealerships as an accessory. I had seen such laminations on a few cars.

There seems to be a better looking package made available at the dealerships, wherein they have painted the interior inferior looking plastics with refreshing off white color and clad the seats, door plastic/fabric inserts art leather inserts with off-white+grey combination. This looks pretty good and makes interiors worth living in. They are quoting it at about 35k.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:35   #374
BHPian

Quote:
By June, Etios should be available off the shelf. Dzire Petrol, which is in this category sells about 3000-4000 per month. Etios too will settle for this number. With a capacity of about 7000 pm, they should be able deliver all the bookings by May.

I booked on day 1 and my car is ready in the warehouse 10 days ago and I am taking delivery today. Initially they were talking March/April delivery.
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:58   #375
BHPian

I did a short test drive. In short, extremely good package for the price.

One issue I had was the dashboard. The dashboard sits too close to your face which is a little discomforting. However, I do realise that this is because of clever designing to maximise cabin space.

With the large no. of bookings by folks even without seeing the car (like the Nano), I hope it doesnt turn out the way it did for Nano, that company has to make efforts to sell the car after the euphoria has died down.

Once the diesel is out next year, this would be very popular with the taxi guys etc.

Most Viewed