Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 19:28   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
You forgot the most important thing.What about the engine quality?
I wouldn't be very worried about engine quality. Both(Toyota's and Fiat's) are great engines but the Toyota makes it better with utter reliability of their engines. I have seen plenty of 4,00,000 miles run toyota's and still going strong. I am sure Fiat's saffire engine must be capable of such runs but i believe in what my eyes saw, so have to give it to Toyota's.

I felt engine noise loud, outside and inside the cabin which was absent in manza and dzire. vibration felt through gears but its drive ability is very good.

@Gautam, for reliability, service, performance and fuel efficiency(petrol) you can stick to Etios, for everything else there is Manza. Bring in the diesel manza and tables are turned.

The biggest grouse is the place where we will be spending most of our time, that is interior. Solve this grouse and its the best car ever this side of 8 lakhs. While space is premium everything else feels cheap. Even the door panels were flimsy, i showed my dad about how pressing finger lightly against the door panel made it bent and move towards the window, huge panel gap there. Never ever have i saw such thing in a car. Even nano doesn't have such problem. The front seats were so thin, i am sure its done to liberate more legroom at back. Too short a test drive to determine how comfortable those seats would be over a long run. Only owners would be able to comment on that.

I saw the wheel well too. Its naked. One of the example of cost cutting. No sound insulation in doors and boot.

We were ready to book it but the last chink in the armor came in form of waiting time. 1 and half years is absurdly long. So the etios went out of window.

Last edited by chevelle : 9th February 2011 at 19:35.
Old 9th February 2011, 22:01   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
Bring in the diesel manza and tables are turned.

Quote:
The biggest grouse is the place where we will be spending most of our time, that is interior.
It's not too bad as you guys think.A friend of mine just got his Etios.And I drove it for a fair amount of time.The seats are comfortable.Yes it wont be as comfortable as your European silk sofa but it's good enough. And how many of us are worried about the plastic's surface smoothness???The primary need is that it should be long lasting which it is.I'm not saying that it's interior is very good but I can confidently say that it's good enough for somebody who is looking for an upgrade from his/her hatchback.

Quote:
1 and half years is absurdly long.
My cousin booked the car on Friday and they promised to deliver the car in a maximum of 8 months.

And I'm once again stressing this point:it's really really fun to drive.I'm not talking about driving it around race tracks when I say it's fun to drive.You can drive it without much effort.No need for frequent shifts in the city and on the highway you can overtake the lorry in front in 5th gear easily.And tremendous throttle response.I experienced it.
Old 9th February 2011, 23:37   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the ones offered by Toyota are not good enough? I've already paid 1.1K(for premium floor mat) and 2.5K(for the underbody coating).
Well, it seems there are various perceptions on the interior, carpet and insulations within the cabin. There are hardly any long-term materialistic experiences towards that. Guess we will have to see customer's actual feedback to see how good they are. The quality of the carpet doesn't seem to suit from look as well as noise insulation perspectives. So one may have to hunt for various solutions on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
I get noise more from engine cabin than under body especially at low speed. I am not sure to what extent underbody coating and lamination will help in reducing the noise coming from engine cabin. Should I consider some damping between engine and passenger compartments?
If it is engine noise, then definitely these ideas will not help much. I also experienced in my TDs engine noise at higher revs and speeds over 60. The earliest batches of Innovas too had similar issue of noise at higher (above 70-80kph) levels. I hope, the engine will get smoother as the break-in happens and noise level decreases over time. Otherwise, it would seem pretty bad design for noise insulation between engine and cabin compartments on part of Toyota, in addition to coarse engine. However, if it persists and you do not observe on other Etios's (or otherwise also) you should strongly put it to the dealership and Toyota to inspect and correction if any. I think the engine should get smoother, Toyotas are definitely worth for their engines. Damping could be the only solution if nothing works out (if engine noise does not reduce over time and no solution from Toyota). However, if the noise is from below, the various ideas laid out by GTO should be useful. Lets hope one of our experts will post some practical analysis and solutions on the same.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:07   #394
BHPian

Thanks Parsh.Called the dealer today and canceled all the extra accs.
Got a feeling that the noise is coming from the front of the car.Upgrade, please confirm this.Inspecting the interiors for wire holes after stripping the interiors might reveal the reasons for this engine noise.I cant do it in my friend's car but you can try it Upgrade.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:23   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a feeling that the noise is coming from the front of the car.Upgrade, please confirm this.Inspecting the interiors for wire holes after stripping the interiors might reveal the reasons for this engine noise.I cant do it in my friend's car but you can try it Upgrade.
Won't you still need Mats and Underbody coating whatever be the case? Mats would be certainly useful to protect the carpet underneath as much as possible and the underbody coat for anti-rust treatment.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:31   #396
BHPian

I'm looking for aftermarket mats and underbody coating which GTO suggested.Toyota's optional accessories are very costly too.I would love to buy 2 parcel shelf coaxial speakers from outside but will it void the warranty?

Last edited by fast&furious : 10th February 2011 at 15:02.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:36   #397
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

We were ready to book it but the last chink in the armor came in form of waiting time. 1 and half years is absurdly long. So the etios went out of window.
18months of waiting time!?? in todays market that is the time taken for a upgrade!

Imagine, you will be picking updelivery after the upgrade! not a bad thing coming to think of it!
Old 10th February 2011, 18:49   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the noise is from the front of the car. I hope it would go down significantly after the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
18months of waiting time!?? in todays market that is the time taken for a upgrade!

Imagine, you will be picking updelivery after the upgrade! not a bad thing coming to think of it!
My guess: Not more than 4 months for delivery if you book today. I saw a news today stating that they got 22,000 bookings so far. My VIN was around 3,000+ and my car war ready by mid-Jan. Assuming they produce 5,000 cars a month, any booking today should result in delivery in 4 months.
Old 10th February 2011, 19:51   #399
BHPian

I'm almost sure that it wont take 18 months in any case.Maybe it depends on where you live.Oh the colour plays an important role too.And that Toyota plant can produce up to 3L cars a year.I'm sure that they will have to speed up things at some point.

If the petrol variant engine is this loud,I wonder how will it feel like to be inside the diesel Etios's cabin.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:53   #400
BHPian

I have done 950 km and thought of giving my car for first free service tomorrow or Monday. Can someone suggest which service center is good? Nandi or Ravindu? There is one in Old Madras Road (Ravindu) which is closer to me. But it looks like it is new facility. I took delivery from Nandi, Hosur Road.
Old 11th February 2011, 13:00   #401
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Upgrade, the first known 1000km on Etios and that too uneventful coming through Will be interesting to see how the engine has improved after this. Wont you be better off with the dealer from whom you purchased?
Old 17th February 2011, 08:47   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I wouldn't be very worried about engine quality. Both(Toyota's and Fiat's) are great engines but the Toyota makes it better with utter reliability of their engines. I have seen plenty of 4,00,000 miles run toyota's and still going strong. I am sure Fiat's saffire engine must be capable of such runs but i believe in what my eyes saw, so have to give it to Toyota's.
Hello Chevelle, I owned a Swift DDSi and I had clocked 1.3 lakh KM. The engine at that point started inviting trouble. The compression in one cylinder became low and two super expensive injectors needed replacement. Even the third one was in okay condition. The turbo (in mine and my friends car after 1 lakh km) was not really in full action. There was annoying clatter. I had checked with two dealerships in Bangalore and one in Chennai, both told me that these engines will be best upto 1 lakh KM considering the Indian conditions. So the VGT versions due to extra stress might not give any better life. With my experience and my friends both having clocked similar mileage, I would say count 1.2 lakh KMs with the fiat engines not more than that.

The fact is well supported by the second-previous car that I owned the Fiat Siena 1.7D. Where I started facing thick black smoke, delayed starting, etc after 1+ lakh KM. On the other side, I have seen a handful of Qualis and Innovas both having clocked 4.5 lakh KM and still very strong. I have driven one which had done 3.5 lakh personally. Also I have seen with my eyes of Toyotas doing 9.8 lakh KM in Singapore Taxi ! Not sure how they handle the indian conditions esp. fuel.
Old 21st February 2011, 12:33   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Hello Chevelle, I owned a Swift DDSi and I had clocked 1.3 lakh KM. The engine at that point started inviting trouble. The compression in one cylinder became low and two super expensive injectors needed replacement. Even the third one was in okay condition.
Interesting observation. So, the internationally acclaimed Multijet/Quadrajet/DDiS engine has a problem with durability ?
And How much did it cost you for this service ?

Quote:
The turbo (in mine and my friends car after 1 lakh km) was not really in full action. There was annoying clatter. I had checked with two dealerships in Bangalore and one in Chennai, both told me that these engines will be best upto 1 lakh KM considering the Indian conditions. So the VGT versions due to extra stress might not give any better life. With my experience and my friends both having clocked similar mileage, I would say count 1.2 lakh KMs with the fiat engines not more than that.
Did they offer a fix for the turbo problem ?
If they did, how much was the quote ?
And do you feel noticeable difference in power and/or mileage ?

Quote:
The fact is well supported by the second-previous car that I owned the Fiat Siena 1.7D. Where I started facing thick black smoke, delayed starting, etc after 1+ lakh KM.
I thought, FIAT engines were reliable like their interior build quality. Your experience seems to be suggesting something different.

Quote:
On the other side, I have seen a handful of Qualis and Innovas both having clocked 4.5 lakh KM and still very strong. I have driven one which had done 3.5 lakh personally. Also I have seen with my eyes of Toyotas doing 9.8 lakh KM in Singapore Taxi ! Not sure how they handle the indian conditions esp. fuel.
+1 to that. Ageing and Toyota don't go together. I have travelled in Toyota cars which are 25 years old. The engine still feels so smooth. Hope, the engine of Etios have the same durability.

Last edited by amalji : 21st February 2011 at 12:34.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:20   #404
Senior - BHPian

I am really put-off by the interiors of the Etios especially the plastics & carpets seems to be out right cheap.
Even the thin cushioned seats might not last long as generally with constant usage cushion foam loses its puffiness and sags.
I heard that lot of bookings are cancelled due to poor interiors quality cannot confirm how true is it. Toyota Etios bookings cancelled

I hope Liva has better interiors as it has to competed with Swift, Polo, Figo & i20’s.

Guys any update on the Etios Liva launch dates ?
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:59   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I heard that lot of bookings are cancelled due to poor interiors quality cannot confirm how true is it. Toyota Etios bookings cancelled
As per the link you gave, the reason for cancellations is the long waiting period, not due to the interior quality.

Most Viewed