Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:44   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

I finally checked out the Toyota Etios last Sunday, alongwith my brother & father... could not take the test drive as was really short of time to reach another part of Delhi.

What I felt is that the interiors are made to a point & aren't exactly downmarket or cheap. Yes the quality that is expected from Toyota is not there, especially when you compare the Corolla or Innova as a matter of fact. The fit is good, but the finish is dull, more because if the quality of the plastic used.

Another area that needs drastic improvement is the carpeting & insulation to road noise, which is apparent from a casual look.

But, still I found the quality of interiors acceptable in light of competition. Overall, If I were to by a sedan, I would definitely prioritize Etios over Manza & Dzire, which are its natural competitors.
Old 4th March 2011, 19:34   #407
GTO
Team-BHP Support

News just in from Toyota that they are taking steps to reduce the Etios' waiting period. High points are as follows:

- 2nd production shift started.

- Reducing production time per vehicle.

- Postponement of the launch of Hatchback - Etios Liva from April to June.
Old 4th March 2011, 21:33   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
News just in from Toyota that they are taking steps to reduce the Etios' waiting period. High points are as follows:

- 2nd production shift started.

- Reducing production time per vehicle.

- Postponement of the launch of Hatchback - Etios Liva from April to June.
Well thats good news. For sure it is a preparation to make sure they can sustain the demand arising out of Liva.
It is but a very late step for Etios as itself, as there are too many frustrated customers.
I am still not sure how the point 2 will be achieved. They can claim so, but its literally impossible to reduce time just like that, unless if they had already been running very inefficiently.
Old 4th March 2011, 22:33   #409
Senior - BHPian

Checked the Etios today. Its built to the budget. The instrument console looks like it was printed on a cheap printer and then copied and then pasted !
Otherwise its good car. Though not really sure of how it fits Toyotas image.
Old 5th March 2011, 17:09   #410
BHPian

Have just driven the Etios over a longish test-drive. I have a sneaking feeling this car will rule the roads in the near future, especially if they maintain their pricing, and maintain the quality. Agreed, it does feel a little cut-price, but the space inside is amazing, the pull of the engine is remarkable.
I went back to my Baleno, and yes, it did feel better, but then, they don't make cars like the Baleno any more!
Old 7th March 2011, 23:15   #411
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am still not sure how the point 2 will be achieved. They can claim so, but its literally impossible to reduce time just like that, unless if they had already been running very inefficiently.
My friend got his Etios delivered last week, within 5 weeks of booking.

Took a TD on this vehicle. Butter smooth clutch, slick acceleration and space were the major highlights. Toyota should have offered a better trim level for the higher variants though. The interior plastic molded parts are pretty shoddy.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:33   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
My friend got his Etios delivered last week, within 5 weeks of booking.
Is that in Pune?
Which dealer? I suspect that your friend has used some influence.
The waiting period in Pune as mentioned by DSK Toyota last month was more than 4 months.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:24   #413
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is that in Pune?
Which dealer? I suspect that your friend has used some influence.
The waiting period in Pune as mentioned by DSK Toyota last month was more than 4 months.
Yes it is in Pune, at DSK Toyota, Hadapsar. He booked on 19th Jan and got the car on 24th Feb. Final delivery after formalities and extra fittings was on 26th Feb. Initially they had told him that it might take more than 4 months to deliver. However thay also had said that Toyota is increasing production so waiting time may come down to a couple of months. After a few days they had informed that they can deliver in a month's time.

My friend is from Tuticorin, staying in Pune for the last couple of years. Hardly any muscle to influence DSK Toyota.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:58   #414
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Toyota has ramped up its production, even Liva launch has been pushed by couple of months to clear off the customer waiting.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:21   #415
BHPian

Same in Chennai, the dealers were mentioning a waiting period of eight months to a year a month back and yesterday they said wait time is four months but depending on colour/trim the wait time would be lesser.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:30   #416
BHPian

One of my contacts in Gandhidham, Gujarat booked the Etios in December. He was told that delivery could be expected after 1 year. There is only one Toyota dealer in this town.
Old 9th March 2011, 12:43   #417
BHPian

I personally walked-in to DSK Toyota, Pune and the sales guy informed me that waiting period is at least 8 months up to 10 months at maximum.

When I asked what if it takes too long and I want to cancel my booking, in reply he informed that a customer can cancel booking anytime, but once he/she completes 15 days of booking the dealer gives some (sorry, I don't remember exact interest) 4% interest on the booking amount.

Not big deal (4% return per annum on 50K booking amount) but its a good initiative, can anybody confirm whether its only DSK, Pune or Toyota initiative to keep a goodwill across would be customers!

Whatever, I appreciate this move.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:07   #418
Senior - BHPian

^ Never heard anyone paying interest on booking amount (except Tata while launching Nano). This deserves credit.

What is more common is cancellation charges of Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 15,000 in case you cancel your booking after car has been alloted to your name.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:18   #419
Senior - BHPian

I remember MUL paying some interest on waiting period of Swift.

I hope the postponement in Liva results in some better quality interiors in it!
Old 9th March 2011, 15:37   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Looks like Toyota has ramped up its production, even Liva launch has been pushed by couple of months to clear off the customer waiting.
yep, thats true.

here is the link to TOI article: Etios demand forces Toyota to delay Liva rollout

Quote:
Pankaj Doval,TNN,Mar 5, 2011, 01.01am IST
NEW DELHI: Waiting blues have disrupted Toyota's India plans as the company has been forced to delay the launch of its first compact Liva by two months to make way for higher production of Etios.

The Etios, an entry-level sedan and Toyota's first shot at the mass market segment, has been a runaway success for after its launch in January. However, the big bookings for the car-26,500 units so far-have also translated into a huge waiting period, which is running up to six months, and more in some cases. This has caused a lot of frustration with reports even suggesting that some customers have cancelled bookings, choosing not to wait for so long.
The same report mentions that,

Quote:
"The fact of the matter is that bookings have hardly cancelled. In any case, we do not fear cancellation, but rather want to make things convenient for the customer."
I feel Toyota, is worried about other players catching up rapidly in this segment like Tata Indigo Manza.

Last edited by iSpoke : 9th March 2011 at 15:43. Reason: Added another quoted lines from same article

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks