Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 16:35   #421
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
I personally walked-in to DSK Toyota, Pune and the sales guy informed me that waiting period is at least 8 months up to 10 months at maximum.
Find this very surprising. Another colleague booked his Etios today and he has been told that delivery will be in May, but that might speed up considerably.
Old 13th March 2011, 15:55   #422
BHPian

The waiting period is going to get longer. Also, the launch of Liva is going to be delayed. The earthquake and tsunami in Japan has interfered with the production of critical car components by Toyota as well as their suppliers. The Bangalore plant inauguration has been postponed. So, all those on the waiting list, be ready to wait a bit longer. Anyway this community's sympathies with the industrious people of Japan in this time of disaster.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:04   #423
BHPian

Yes our sympathies will be with the people of Japan. I have just read on the net that all the car makers have stopped their plants as there is no power. Maybe this will have an impact on CBU's but not the cars manufactured in India like Etios or Innova.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:34   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post

Took a TD on this vehicle. Butter smooth clutch, slick acceleration and space were the major highlights. Toyota should have offered a better trim level for the higher variants though. The interior plastic molded parts are pretty shoddy.
You are absolutely right. The drive is major highlight but the interiors are too flimsy. In a sedan one expects the interiors to be slightly upmarket. Even the hatches like i10 are coming with such nice trim. I had to cancel my booking for Etios as no one in the family liked the interior. The NVH levels are also quite high . Engine roar is similar to diesel.
Old 18th March 2011, 23:30   #425
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive4fun View Post
In a sedan one expects the interiors to be slightly upmarket.
True. And the price (~7 lakhs) is not cheap by any standards. However at this point the brand name and brand value is too strong. It is a good product no doubt, but we wish it was slightly better or at least some options were there on the trim front.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:16   #426
Senior - BHPian

All the Etios threads have gone into a slumber, quite surprising to see that there are no active updates from Etios owners.
Do I read something else to this lack of enthusiasm for a newly launched product.

I heard from one of the Bangalore based dealers that there are lot of booking cancellations owing to poor quality interiors, which I feel is indeed true. Lot of the initial bookings were made by customers without seeing the car in flesh, they went just by the Toyota brand.

Toyota must come up with a better trim level to sustain a true growth story.
Old 31st March 2011, 23:06   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive4fun View Post
You are absolutely right. The drive is major highlight but the interiors are too flimsy. In a sedan one expects the interiors to be slightly upmarket.
While I would be the first one to criticize the interiors, I would definitely not call them "flimsy." They are just not plush, perhaps one can say tacky. But not flimsy - the interiors (i.e. the plastics) are actually very durable, albeit hard plastic. The upholstery is also not luxurious, but quite durable, and comfortable IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
All the Etios threads have gone into a slumber, quite surprising to see that there are no active updates from Etios owners.
Do I read something else to this lack of enthusiasm for a newly launched product.
No, it's just laziness. My review is long overdue (read: 2 months late!!). I am actually enjoying the car a fair amount.
Old 1st April 2011, 09:43   #428
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the Etios owners are getting bored of driving the car without much issues to report like most of the other Toyota cars? But I guess there should be quite a few in this initial duration like a few reported in early ownership reports. Or if there are just too many issues, the owners must be busy head-banging for their decision

Filmsy is word I have heard from many about the interior quality. But as vebmetal says, it may be that the material doesn't look classy but has a long lasting character unlike other manufacturers. Lot remains to be understood beneath the skin.

Still, I feel that the sheet metal seems pretty thin sounding like tin boxes and wonder if it is prone to dents easier than Manza and the others. vebmetal since you have been driving without any words so far, do you have any feedback on the exterior metal quality?

Last edited by parsh : 1st April 2011 at 09:50.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:53   #429
Senior - BHPian

[/quote] No, it's just laziness. My review is long overdue (read: 2 months late!!). I am actually enjoying the car a fair amount.[/quote]

Your contribution to the forum is quite overdue any ways , its better late than never. Looking forward for some real owners feedback.

Toyota should seriously think about upgrading the trim level , may be an optional trim at additional cost will be welcome. As parsh pointed, I also feel that the external body skin metal seems to be too thin and prone to dents with minor knicks/knock, your comments are welcome.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:55   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Still, I feel that the sheet metal seems pretty thin sounding like tin boxes and wonder if it is prone to dents easier than Manza and the others. vebmetal since you have been driving without any words so far, do you have any feedback on the exterior metal quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Your contribution to the forum is quite overdue any ways , its better late than never. Looking forward for some real owners feedback.

As parsh pointed, I also feel that the external body skin metal seems to be too thin and prone to dents with minor knicks/knock, your comments are welcome.
Well, here you guys go:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...km-report.html

As far as the exterior metal goes, I tend to really not get very many dents and scratches with my cars, as I make the extra effort not to go through small narrow lanes, park in bad places, not drive close to the car in front etc. etc. So not having got any dents so far, I can't say with certainty whether the metal is thin or dent prone. To me it doesn't feel thin or flimsy at all. It feels just like any car, rather I would say it feels solid to me.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:15   #431
Senior - BHPian

Sad news for those who have been waiting for the launch of Etios Diesel & Liva Hatchback. Both these launches are delayed till 2012 (Courtesy: carblogindia)

Etios Diesel Sedan, Liva Hatchback Launch Postponed To 2012
Old 6th April 2011, 17:36   #432
Senior - BHPian

Good to see some measures, good for Etios customers, but as AutoIndian said bad for potential Etios Diesel and Liva customers. But will it be useful unless the production capacity becomes effective? Let us wait and watch.

Also came across this Etios manufacturing plant video by Overdrive on youtube, interesting...

Old 7th April 2011, 15:27   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Good to see some measures, good for Etios customers, but as AutoIndian said bad for potential Etios Diesel and Liva customers. But will it be useful unless the production capacity becomes effective? Let us wait and watch.

Also came across this Etios manufacturing plant video by Overdrive on Youtube, interesting...

YouTube - OD Etios Yatra Part 1: Birth on OVERDRIVE
This is related to the video on the manufacturing process.

They say the paint process takes 18 hours. Why so ? I know multiple coats and drying time, but 18 hours ?

I'm curious, Etios has a 6 colour choice. How does the paintshop manage six colors. Is each colour batch produced on a separate day or can they be painted randomly at will one after the other.

I'm sorry if this is an offtopic post, but I had no other place to post this.

Thanks.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:54   #434
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another colleague booked his Etios today and he has been told that delivery will be in May, but that might speed up considerably.
Friend's Etios is getting delivered next week. All within 40 days.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:24   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friend's Etios is getting delivered next week. All within 40 days.
Waw. Thats pretty quick. I had heard that at DSK Pune only people had to wait since booking in Dec till now. But I have also heard of instances of people, a friend in Delhi, getting one in even lesser days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks