Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:33   #526
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
I guess it's because only a clear drop in the fuel level triggers some action.So if they indicate it in litres the next reading after 40 might be 35 which is not that useful IMHO.By the way,you are very correct about the fuel gauge in the Etios.I think it's even worse than the analogue one. I have no trouble using the speedo or tacho though.I believe it's just a matter of getting used to it.What do you think?
I agree with you that speedo and tacho are cool. I see the speedo and tacho less these days because of the central placement as compared to my previous car (Estilo). That should be fine as I dont take the eye off the road often.

I agree if the numeric indicator drops like you have mentioned, it wont be useful. But dont we have enough advancement in technology to do a numeric fuel level indicator that is accurate and sensitive.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:04   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
I agree with you that speedo and tacho are cool. I see the speedo and tacho less these days because of the central placement as compared to my previous car (Estilo). That should be fine as I dont take the eye off the road often.

I agree if the numeric indicator drops like you have mentioned, it wont be useful. But dont we have enough advancement in technology to do a numeric fuel level indicator that is accurate and sensitive.
Exactly my thoughts. The speedo is really cool and easy to read. The Tacho not so much. The fuel gauge is really weird. With 6500 kms completed i think after tankful, first 2 bars go off at 75km each and the remaining 6 at 60 km. Mileage i get is 12-13 within the city with 75 % AC on. On highway it touches 15 at 100 + speeds. I have hit a top speed of 160 on the Mumbai Pune Eway. But the pleasure zone i think is somewhere from 100-120.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:31   #528
BHPian

Quote:
I think we do have the technology.But how can we expect that sort of thing from a car that doesn't even have two wipers.

There might be another reason behind that intentional gap between fuel level readings.The fuel moves around in the tank during sudden braking etc and the gauge might show a different reading if it's very sensitive.This is just a guess. I'm good at finding reasons to remain content.

happy motoring

Last edited by fast&furious : 2nd August 2011 at 21:33.
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:50   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
I think we do have the technology.But how can we expect that sort of thing from a car that doesn't even have two wipers.

There might be another reason behind that intentional gap between fuel level readings.The fuel moves around in the tank during sudden braking etc and the gauge might show a different reading if it's very sensitive.This is just a guess. I'm good at finding reasons to remain content.

happy motoring
I had a chance to use my wiper on atleast 3 occasions so far. The single wiper seems more effective than the conventional ones. I am not sure if this is cost cutting but if it is so, it is a smart cost cutting that does not affect performance. Happy motoring to you too.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:32   #530
BHPian

^^@ameturepro
I agree with you 100%. I recently took a TD on Etios and it was a rainy day. The performance of the Single wiper was way better than the Figo which I test drove an hour before on the same day.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:41   #531
BHPian

Not only the single wiper covers greater area on the windscreen, but it also has fast viping action than most conventional twin vipers.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:12   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why do you think Maruti is so restless and are working on a Dzire CS version ?!
If you cut the boot short, wouldn't you get a SWIFT?

Jokes apart, I recently drove my friend's Etios. I have to say that the car ticks all essential stuff I look for.
  • A very tractable motor which can be quick if one wants it to me.
  • A well sorted suspension setup.
  • Reasonable noise damping.
  • Space- awesome
  • Top it all, a sporty exhaust note- for a Toyota!!!
Have fun with your Etioses mates
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:29   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
If you cut the boot short, wouldn't you get a SWIFT?
Swift is a 2 box and Dzire is a 3 box, Dzire CS = 2.5 box

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Jokes apart, I recently drove my friend's Etios. I have to say that the car ticks all essential stuff I look for.
  • A very tractable motor which can be quick if one wants it to me.
  • A well sorted suspension setup.
  • Reasonable noise damping.
  • Space- awesome
  • Top it all, a sporty exhaust note- for a Toyota!!!
No wonder Etios has given nightmares to Dzire. Just cant wait for the diesel launch. I guess For Etios what worked is the space vis-a-vis the Dzire. Both cars don't score much on the looks or interior departments. Both have equally strong brand values in India as well, reasonable A$$ & spare costs, reliability too.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:48   #534
BHPian

Quote:
I had a chance to use my wiper on atleast 3 occasions so far. The single wiper seems more effective than the conventional ones. I am not sure if this is cost cutting but if it is so, it is a smart cost cutting that does not affect performance. Happy motoring to you too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
^^@ameturepro
I agree with you 100%. I recently took a TD on Etios and it was a rainy day. The performance of the Single wiper was way better than the Figo which I test drove an hour before on the same day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Not only the single wiper covers greater area on the windscreen, but it also has fast viping action than most conventional twin vipers.
I'm sure fast&furious was referring to the issue of single wiper in a lighter vein.

Nevertheless, while we are on this, here are my two cents...

I've also wondered why at all they provide two wipers?! Similar observation was made by our friend amalji quite some time back on this thread. He also posted his good research here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I researched more on it to find out the reason why the mono wiper blades seems to cover better area than the dual wiper blades on normal cars. The reason seems to be the additional arm of the wiper that adjusts the angle of rotation of the wiper at different points. The single wiper also has the advantage that it doesn't leave a mark at the center of the wind shield after every half wipe.

So, why doesn't the single arm wiper come by default on premium cars. This is what I think could be the reason.

1) The technology is complicated and durability is always a concern with such designs.
2) A higher torque motor is needed to get that fast and huge swipe, which adds to the expense.

So, why did Toyota take the pain to have this kind of a wiper design on the Etios?

I can think of only one reason, and that's to ease the design for LHD and RHD of Etios.

The mono wiper blade with dual arms is also used by the Mercedez. But, it gives a much better swipe ( the cleanest swipe you can ever get on a wind shield ) than the one found in Etios. Regardless, the Etios dual arm mono wiper blade does a very good job and for me, it gives a cleaner wind shield than most dual wipers.
...and some more here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Got 2 more reasons why the mono wiper with dual arms is not used commonly. Listing them below. Hopefully, mods can merge the posts.

3) Water splatter caused to people/vehicle near the wind shield. The huge sweep can throw a lot of water out through the side of the windscreen.
4) On idle speed, the high torque motor of the dual arm wiper can shake the vehicle.

With regards to Etios, i couldn't detect a body shake when I used the wiper on idle. It could also be due to the fact that I was not thinking about such a possibility. Next time, I try it, I'll be more conscious of such a possibility and will give a review on that.
Thanks amalji!

Has anybody observed any body shake on idle? I haven't consciously tried this so far or noticed anything untoward otherwise.
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:34   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
I'm sure fast&furious was referring to the issue of single wiper in a lighter vein.

The point fast&furious raised was about possible cost cutting with a single wiper. I also agree with fast&furious that there could be cost cutting involved but the cost cutting does not hurt in this case for most of us.

Some of us (me included) tried rationalising the non-availability of auto door lock feature. If one has to look at the most missed feature in Etios (because of cost cutting), what would it be?

The following should have been made avaialble as accessories atleast.

1) Arm rests in front (driver & passenger) & back
2) Rear A/C vents (cabin space demands this)
3) Additional cabin light in centre or rear

I am not saying anything about auto climate control as I would prefer manual control anyday. Few could prefer auto climate control too and hence can be offered in VX in place of DVD player(?).
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:04   #536
BHPian

Quote:
The following should have been made avaialble as accessories atleast.

1) Arm rests in front (driver & passenger) & back
2) Rear A/C vents (cabin space demands this)
3) Additional cabin light in centre or rear
Am not sure if these items are normally / can be provided as accessories.

Quote:
...Few could prefer auto climate control too and hence can be offered in VX in place of DVD player(?)
That would be icing on the cake for me! But I'd first like to have the cake with e-ORVM, centre cabin light etc, arm rests, dead pedal.... While I like ACC, the list that would precede ACC is long!
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:54   #537
BHPian

For me the wish list in the order of preference is auto door locks, e-OVRM, One touch power windows, Centre cabin light, dead pedal. Honestly what additional cost Toyota would have incurred giving autolocking doors, one touch windows or a dead pedal
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:46   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Am not sure if these items are normally / can be provided as accessories.

That would be icing on the cake for me! But I'd first like to have the cake with e-ORVM, centre cabin light etc, arm rests, dead pedal.... While I like ACC, the list that would precede ACC is long!
You are right. None of what I have mentioned could be accessories but should have been part of the product offering in VX, if not V. I also would prefer dead pedal included to the list. Though I can live without auto door lock, ACC and E-ORVM, these are better value additions than a DVD player or side skirts. Toyota could have easily knocked off the DVD player, extra chrome inside & the side skirts as product offerings in VX to accomodate all that we wanted. Imagine an entry level sedan with ABS, airbags, ACC, steering audio control, alloy wheels, arms rests, centre cabin lights, rear a/c vents etc.!!!!! The wish list is certainly mouth watering.

Though I am possibly nitpicking now, I must concede that Toyota has not disappointed us on the 3 most critical parameters - engine, space and comfort - at a reasonable price point. That is why I possibly see around 6 to 8 Etios already during my daily commute of 24 kms.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:56   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
For me the wish list in the order of preference is auto door locks, e-OVRM, One touch power windows, Centre cabin light, dead pedal. Honestly what additional cost Toyota would have incurred giving autolocking doors, one touch windows or a dead pedal
Sometimes, Toyota and Honda give the feeling that they are capable of giving more but they hold back a bit. On equipment list, they should learn a lesson or two from companies like Hyundai or Tata (especially w.r.t. Manza).

Does Honda have a diesel engine in India or abroad? If not, why?
Old 4th August 2011, 10:36   #540
BHPian

Quote:
You are right.
=========
That is why I possibly see around 6 to 8 Etios already during my daily commute of 24 kms.
You are absolutley bang on here...engine, space and comfort are really the USP's of Etios. But as we all know 'Dil Mange More'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks