Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 16:12   #601
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Etios to launch the Diesel version on 9th September 2011. Heard this news from the Sales Executive in Toyota Showroom. They also confirmed three models GD,VD & VXD. All models come with Power Steering and ABS.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:30   #602
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sunsivj, if you are not already aware we have a separate thread for the Etios D & there is a scoop by Bigvishnu (message # 109), where he has uploaded the Etios D sepcifications. Here is the link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2495330
Old 8th September 2011, 13:23   #603
Senior - BHPian

Anybody fitted Rear View Camera on Etios?
which one?
where?
does it give good visibility?
what cost?

The one I had seen fitted was pretty awkward on the bumper and not much of visibility to the trenches immediately behind, the positioning could be wrong. Pictures of the installation and the working would be pretty good to understand.
Old 8th September 2011, 14:54   #604
Team-BHP Support

Saw this today. Not sure if it was posted before.

DRIVEN! Toyota Etios and Liva diesels
Old 9th September 2011, 18:10   #605
BHPian

Just booked Etios Diesel V-D model with Bluish Silver model at Infinium Toyota Ahmedabad. As you might have guessed, I have booked this car without test drive as this is the first day of launch and the showroom did not even have the diesel car on display or TD. But then the D4-D engine is proven and it is a Toyota!. Nonetheless I am very excited about it and look forward to taking the delivery of the car which is committed by December 2011. I would post updates of my experience with this car purchase and drive reports.
Old 10th September 2011, 15:07   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
Just booked Etios Diesel V-D model with Bluish Silver model at Infinium Toyota Ahmedabad.
Congratulations automachine on booking the first Etios D on TBHP.

Quote:
As you might have guessed, I have booked this car without test drive as this is the first day of launch and the showroom did not even have the diesel car on display or TD. But then the D4-D engine is proven and it is a Toyota!.
That goes to show your confidence in Toyota & its D4D engine. Have you earlier owned or driven a Toyota prior to this?

Quote:
Nonetheless I am very excited about it and look forward to taking the delivery of the car which is committed by December 2011. I would post updates of my experience with this car purchase and drive reports.
Looking forward very keenly towards your experience with this car purchase and drive reports. Even I am eying the VD (looks true VFM). Will try to TD it as soon as the TDs are made available.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 00:40   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Congratulations automachine on booking the first Etios D on TBHP.

Thanks.

That goes to show your confidence in Toyota & its D4D engine. Have you earlier owned or driven a Toyota prior to this?

Well I have not owned it before. However I have experienced the Toyota with Corolla and Innova.

Looking forward very keenly towards your experience with this car purchase and drive reports. Even I am eying the VD (looks true VFM). Will try to TD it as soon as the TDs are made available.
I too am looking forward to it. The Toyota Marketing guys mentioned that delivery would start immediately whereas my dealer has mentioned that the commitment is for Dec '11. So keeping fingers crossed for the exact delivery date.
Old 11th September 2011, 14:19   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh

Hi Vishnugs, Can you pls. let me know the best apps you have come across for FE ? how they perform ?
Hey, I use Torque app on Android paired with BT OBD tool. The OBD unit is about 2.5k, pm me if you need help in sourcing it or in getting the app working.
Old 12th September 2011, 17:57   #609
BHPian

Some update on mileage.

Since I was not happy with my mileage figures (9 in city and 12 in highway) on my Etios sedan, I took up the issue with the dealer but the dealer could not offer any solution. Then I had sent a mail to Toyota customer care. Toyota customer car got into action straightaway and spoke to me first. They made sure that my dealer did one mileage test after checking the basics like air filter, brakes etc. all within a span of 24 hours since my mail.

The results? The dealer got a mileage figure of 12.8 kmpl in highway!!!!!! 12.8 kmpl highway mileage for a car with an ARAI figure of 17+???

Now my dealer had shared the findings with Toyota and I am hoping for some solution to emerge in the next couple of days.

Now a question comes to my mind. There are quite a few Etios owners who get only 9 kml mileage in city while some others get 13 kmpl in city. What can explain this? Can it be explained by different driving styles? If it is so, the driver arranged by my dealer also should be faulted for his driving style.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:16   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
The results? The dealer got a mileage figure of 12.8 kmpl in highway!!!!!! 12.8 kmpl highway mileage for a car with an ARAI figure of 17+???

Now a question comes to my mind. There are quite a few Etios owners who get only 9 kml mileage in city while some others get 13 kmpl in city. What can explain this? Can it be explained by different driving styles? If it is so, the driver arranged by my dealer also should be faulted for his driving style.
Actually the ARAI figure is not a true road test figure, it is more an emission based test which then extrapolates or derives the fuel consumption.

Does the owner manual quote any speed or RPM at which each upshift is recommended ? The reason I ask is, I had problems with my Civic to drive in the city, I was simply driving from experience, then after a couple of months, I read the manual and I tried to stick to those speeds, I found it was quite easy to drive in the city and the F.E also improved by 0.5-1 kmpl.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:51   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Actually the ARAI figure is not a true road test figure, it is more an emission based test which then extrapolates or derives the fuel consumption.

Does the owner manual quote any speed or RPM at which each upshift is recommended ? The reason I ask is, I had problems with my Civic to drive in the city, I was simply driving from experience, then after a couple of months, I read the manual and I tried to stick to those speeds, I found it was quite easy to drive in the city and the F.E also improved by 0.5-1 kmpl.
Thanks Indivic. There is no specific actionable reco from Toyota for improving FE in the manual.

On ARAI figures, you may have a point here. The ARAI figures may not mean anything though the auto companies cleverly use it in their communication and many customers (like me) take the ARAI figures seriously.

That said, I used to get a highway mileage of closer to ARAI numbers on both my previous cars (Estilo and Esteem).
Old 12th September 2011, 19:07   #612
BHPian

Quote:
That said, I used to get a highway mileage of closer to ARAI numbers on both my previous cars (Estilo and Esteem).
Maruti cars were/are indeed mileage champs, except probably for the Versa and the SX4.

I got this from the Honda site

The values declared above are the extract of the results that have been obtained in a mandatory emission test specified in Rule 115 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 under controlled conditions using a reference fuel at an agency authorised by Rule 126 of the said Rules. The values obtained by users will differ from these values due to infinite variables such as driving habits, road and traffic conditions, fuel quality, maintenance practices, loading pattern, ambient conditions and usual engineering tolerances on components and so on.
UNQUOTE

It is like buying an insurance policy and then being told that we don't cover any of the major organs... atleast the information was not in fine print on the website.

In BS4 guise, the Civic has an ARAI figure of 14.8 kmpl, I used to get 13-15 on the highways with sedate driving (very hard).

The variation in the mileage between users may point to some difference in the ECU settings.

Can you ask the service centre to check if the ECU setting on your car and may be someone else's which is in for servicing is the same ?

P.S Your issue is one major reason why I am still hesitant to book an Etios, the rest of the car suits me and my needs just fine. Lets hope that all's well that ends well !

Last edited by indivic : 12th September 2011 at 19:12.
Old 12th September 2011, 19:16   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need to upload a night shot to show blue illumination in all its glory.
Attachment 579407
amateurpro, seen only your Etios here with this accessory.
Is the blue illuminated legroom lamp
1. useful or only a feel good thing?
2. does it become useful while ingress/egress, searching for something fallen in the footwell?
3. is it bright enough for visibility?
Old 13th September 2011, 10:05   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
UNQUOTE

In BS4 guise, the Civic has an ARAI figure of 14.8 kmpl, I used to get 13-15 on the highways with sedate driving (very hard).

The variation in the mileage between users may point to some difference in the ECU settings.

Can you ask the service centre to check if the ECU setting on your car and may be someone else's which is in for servicing is the same ?
I would take a highway mileage of 13-15 in Civic since the ARAI figures for Civic is also in that range. On top of it, Civic is several segments ahead of Etios in terms of performance and comfort. When Civic can give between 13 & 15 in highway, why not the lightest sedan in the country give a better mileage?

I am not strong technically but I too feel there could be some issues with ECU setting. Not too sure if dealers have been given any training on the same yet. TKM should get involved directly and solve the issue. From what I have heard of Toyota so far, they would respond and that is what I hope too.

Mileage apart, Etios is a fantastic car and you could go no wrong with Etios. Will keep you posted once my issue is resolved.
Old 13th September 2011, 10:16   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
amateurpro, seen only your Etios here with this accessory.
Is the blue illuminated legroom lamp
1. useful or only a feel good thing?
2. does it become useful while ingress/egress, searching for something fallen in the footwell?
3. is it bright enough for visibility?
Hi Parsh,

Just to answer your questions,

1. More of feel good / less in utility
2. Certainly useful during ingress / egress especially when things are lying on the floor. Not had a chance to search things yet but I guess it wont be much useful for search purposes.
3. Certainly not bright enough to read / not as bright as centre cabin light - but the placement ensures better visibility in legroom area that would otherwise be a bit darker even with cabin light on.

Now you motivate me to post a night time shot with blue illumination. Will do it soon. The biggest plus is, it feels good when you enter.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed