Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 21:32   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

I recently got to drive an Etios diesel VD and I personally did not like the car at all. This is the pre-facelift version, so I'm not sure if some of the sore points have been taken care of now.

The good things first:
  • I quite liked the engine, the space on offer and the ride. It has a nice linear engine and the car feels peppy enough
  • The gear box is also pretty decent and the ratios are well laid out
  • At 100kmph the car feels pretty stable considering it's so light

Coming to what I didn't like:
  • Much has been said about the cheap interiors and I tend to agree here. It feels very old and this particular car having the red theme, it was terribly gawdy
  • The speedo looked like a transistor tuning display to me and I actually had trouble reading it during the day. The red needle is so tiny one has to look for it. There were a couple of girls in the car as well and their instant reaction was it looks like a toy car !
  • NVH was not as bad as I had expected it to be, although the suspension and outside noise filter into the cabin. There happened to be sand on the road and I could hear it being thrown into the wheel wells.
  • The top of the line VD model has a music system with no USB, no AUX & no bluetooth which left us listening to the radio. To make matters worse there are no speakers at the back and my rear passengers kept asking me to turn up the volume, which makes it uncomfortably loud in the front
  • Another thing that troubled me was that I felt the steering was too low even at it's highest position and there is no seat height adjust.
  • While I had the car, I happened to go to a hotel where they check inside the bonnet and boy was I shocked to see the bonnet release pull button. It reminded me of the Ambassador days with all the switches like that. It works well, but common Toyota.

All in all, I think Toyota has got it all wrong with taking the ultra cheap route. They should have learnt from cars like the Logan that didn't do well. I think the perfect car instead of the Etios would have been the Vios. It's a proper well engineered Toyota and would have given them the success they were looking for. Probably they thought of it, but could not meet the desired price points.

While some of the points like the music system, etc have been addressed with the latest update I don't think it will do well to lure in private buyers. I see the Etios becoming the mid size Taxi king.
Old 24th April 2013, 17:28   #737
BHPian

Two days ago I got the rear suspension of my Etios VX (P) replaced.
The complaint was sagging under load. Though I was warned that the ride at the back will become harsh I still got it replaced for various reasons. Important reason being, whenever I go to Karnataka with full load (read mainly full boot and occasionally rear seat well built passengers) the car would sag and hit the under-body at speed bumps. This phenomenon was embarrassing to say the least especially when my in-laws are with me.

The bill for the whole procedure (part & labor) came to Rs 1959/- including taxes.

The part number is : A-T0480-W1304 description : KIT FR & RR SHOCK

After replacing the rear shocks the ride at the back, as told by my wife, is slightly harsh compared to earlier.

But I have yet to test the ride quality and under-body hitting if any with five full sized adults.

Will report the same once I get the opportunity to do so.
mroptimist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 19:00   #738
BHPian

Thanks Mr.Optimist for sharing this details and I look forward to your feedback on ride quality and effective ground clearance.

I hope to also add a detailed 22,000 + KM report soon for my Etios V. Not many cars make you write a detailed review after two years but a Toyota does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Two days ago I got the rear suspension of my Etios VX (P) replaced.

Will report the same once I get the opportunity to do so.
Old 12th June 2013, 22:39   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Thanks Mr.Optimist for sharing this details and I look forward to your feedback on ride quality and effective ground clearance.

I hope to also add a detailed 22,000 + KM report soon for my Etios V. Not many cars make you write a detailed review after two years but a Toyota does.
I wanted to update since last few days but professional commitments kept me busy. Thanks for reminding me to do so.

Came last Sunday from Bangalore (Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Gudalur-Chamarajnagar-Kanakpura-Bangalore and back). Had an extremely positive experience from rear suspension upgrade.

With four adults and a full boot the car did not scrape any of the giant speed breakers while going to Bangalore (in Madumalai and Bandipur) and in Bangalore city. Earlier I used to be extremely cautious while taking my car over theses speed breakers and even then would scrape a few. Now no such thing even if I am not so cautious.

On the ride quality front, on bad roads low speed ride is worse whereas high speed ride is better. On good roads both low speed ride and high speed ride have improved (with considerable load).

Hnadling has also improved. I would recommend an upgrade to newer suspension if you frequently travel with full load (4 or 5 adults with or without full boot) or stay in a city with pathetic roads and/or giant speed breakers like Bangalore.

I recently completed 32000 kms in my petrol Etios (VX). Upgrading suspension in V and VX models costs less compared to G model (2000 INR vs 3300 INR).

Thanks.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 00:18   #740
BHPian

Quote:

Upgrading suspension in V and VX models costs less compared to G model (2000 INR vs 3300 INR).
Aren't the suspensions replaced under warranty? Many Etios/Liva owners got it replaced free of cost and well, all of them have diesels but do they charge for the suspension change in the petrol models? Or are you talking about the cost incurred by Toyota. I'm puzzled, can you make it clear?

Last edited by saadat1992 : 13th June 2013 at 00:20.
Old 13th June 2013, 00:52   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post

Aren't the suspensions replaced under warranty? Many Etios/Liva owners got it replaced free of cost and well, all of them have diesels but do they charge for the suspension change in the petrol models? Or are you talking about the cost incurred by Toyota. I'm puzzled, can you make it clear?
Only front suspension is replaced under warranty not rear. Bottoming out is a problem of old soft rear suspension. Toyota has corrected this problem in the facelift. I got the rear suspension upgraded.

Hope this clears your doubt.
Old 13th June 2013, 01:18   #742
BHPian

Quote:

Only front suspension is replaced under warranty not rear. Bottoming out is a problem of old soft rear suspension. Toyota has corrected this problem in the facelift. I got the rear suspension upgraded.

Hope this clears your doubt.
But the personnel here at Harsha Toyota, Chennai told that the rear suspension too can be replaced but the ride will become a whole lot stiffer after 1-2yrs down the line. And, they didn't tell us that it'll cost us. They were like it'll come under warranty when i told what fellow BHPian @Subratasen told i.e. Topsel Toyota in kolkata were willing to replace the liva's rear suspension under warranty.
Old 13th June 2013, 08:20   #743
BHPian

Internal beading on door for Etios Liva

As most of you might know there are no internal beading on the doors in the Etios both hatch as well as sedan. Well this leads to accumulation of dust and dirt on the door opening. External noise also filters in.
I would like to know whether it is possible to get these beadings fitted as an aftermarket item and also of any negative impact.
Thanks all.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:07   #744
BHPian

Quote:
But the personnel here at Harsha Toyota, Chennai told that the rear suspension too can be replaced but the ride will become a whole lot stiffer after 1-2yrs down the line. And, they didn't tell us that it'll cost us. They were like it'll come under warranty when i told what fellow BHPian @Subratasen told i.e. Topsel Toyota in kolkata were willing to replace the liva's rear suspension under warranty.
TKM dealerships in Kerala are not replacing the rear suspension free of cost under warranty. Even I spoke to TKM Customer Care dept. and they confirmed the same. As I badly needed to upgrade I went ahead and got the rear shocks replaced.

Earlier when taxi guys complained some dealerships tried solving the problem by adding spacers. It was unsuccessful (repotedly gave some problems) hence TKM asked dealerships to stop this practice. This was proactively never offered to personal vehicles.

Hope this clears any lingering doubts.

Thanks.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:15   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
TKM dealerships in Kerala are not replacing the rear suspension free of cost under warranty. Even I spoke to TKM Customer Care dept. and they confirmed the same. As I badly needed to upgrade I went ahead and got the rear shocks replaced.
Yes, in Kolkata Topsel Toyota is replacing the rare suspensions free of cost under warranty. I am yet to do this though.
It's kind of strange that different dealers would behave differently.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:29   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Yes, in Kolkata Topsel Toyota is replacing the rare suspensions free of cost under warranty. I am yet to do this though.
It's kind of strange that different dealers would behave differently.
I think you should call TKM customer care to clarify this once for all.
Old 27th June 2013, 18:34   #747
BHPian

2 year & 20,000 kms report

I have given an updated ownership report on my new Etios V after completing 2 years and 20,000 kms.

Can I call my car "new" after two years of ownership? I think I can seeing the way my car looks on this picture (taken on 26th June 2013 morning). This car does not age too quickly and should stay young for long.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-full.jpg
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-side.jpg

So much was said about the "cheap looking" interiors in Etios but I like the simplistic yet elegant looking interiors.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-interior2.jpg

This is how the interiors look today after two years and I must say that the interior quality is top notch. It looks as good as new.

Performance

Driving experience: The driving experience with Etios is awesome. The drive feels so effortless and smooth that long drives are always welcome. I had once done a 700 km drive in a single stretch and felt fresh upon completion of the drive.

Speed : There was good control even when the speedometer touched 160 kmph once. However, the most comfortable speed for me is around 120 kmph in national highways and 80 kmph in state highways. The vehicle also behaves excellent in very low speeds (say between 40 and 50 kmph in 5th gear).

Mileage : Now, it gives around 11 to 12 kmpl in city and 15 to 18 kmpl in highways. In highways, I got the maximum mileage of 18 kmpl when I was driving at or below 90 kmph. It is a bit difficult to drive that slow on long journeys. However, the mileage figures drop badly at speeds in excess of 120 kmph. So it is better to stay between 90 and 120 kmph depending upon the urgency levels. Anyways, I am happy that the mileage figures have improved compared to my initial experience with Etios (9 kmpl in city and 12 kmpl in highways for first 3000 kms).

NVH : Vibration and handling are excellent. Noise is acceptable in my car possibly because of the 3M underbody coating done based on advice received from fellow BHPians.

Physique : The low body weight of Etios initially made us wonder about the structural rigidity of body parts. I would say that the body is fairly solid seeing the way it had withstood minor dents and there are no rattles. But what I say about the body does not apply to bumper. I agree that the bumper should have less strength compared to the rest of the body so as to bear the brunt of an impact. But can you have a paper-like bumper?

Comfort :

A/C : No issues. Pretty good on all weather (we have only three seasons in Chennai - severe summer, wet summer and mild summer).

Seating : The thin seats do not tell us how comfortable the seats are till we sit on the same. Neither the driver nor the passengers will complain of travel tiredness even after long drives in an Etios.

Chilled glove box : Pretty useful for long drives to stock water or soft drinks.

Blue illumination (optional accessory) : Looks cool and guide ingress in the front seat.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-blue2.jpg

Audio system : I have added the rear speakers after one and a half years of ownership. Now we have less disagreement between front seat and back seat passengers on volume control.

After two years of ownership, I am as happy as I was on the day I bought my Etios. Not many products would make me write a detailed report after two years. A Toyota Etios does.

Last edited by amateurpro : 27th June 2013 at 18:40.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 18:53   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
[b]

After two years of ownership, I am as happy as I was on the day I bought my Etios. Not many products would make me write a detailed report after two years. A Toyota Etios does.
Hello your experience is quiet similar to mine. I own a 2 years old Etios with currently 22,650kms on the odometer. I have written a ownership report of my car. If you want you can check it over here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...oint-view.html

I agree Etios is a great car, even i am very happy too with the way the car is behaving. Wish you many more happy miles.
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:28   #749
BHPian

Tata Green Battery Died

My Toyota Etios VX (P) car's Tata Green Battery suddenly died one fine evening.
I called Toyota Roadside Assistance at 8 PM last Sunday (June 30th 2013) and they promised to send somebody next morning before 8 AM.

But that person arrived only at 10:30 AM. He was carrying a spare battery. He jump started the car and after that also (after some 20 minutes) the battery remained week. The person who came showed me that the battery has bulged and should be replaced.

I had not used the car for 48 hours, but I don't think that should cause the battery to die.

Any way I replaced the Tata Green 34 Ampere battery with Amaron Green 42 Ampere battery and everything is fine.

Overall unhappy with the brand Toyota has given with Etios. Thumbs down to the 24x7 roadside assistance also.

Thanks.
Old 13th August 2013, 22:28   #750
BHPian

Re: Tata Green Battery Died

Quote:
My Toyota Etios VX (P) car's Tata Green Battery suddenly died one fine evening.
I called Toyota Roadside Assistance at 8 PM last Sunday (June 30th 2013) and they promised to send somebody next morning before 8 AM.

Thanks.
I am sad to know your experience with battery. Remember to carry Exide 24 X 7 helpline number as they once attended to my battery problem even though I did not have Exide battery in my old car. They usually send their mobile team to any place in major city within an hour. I have stayed loyal to Exide from that moment as service is an important part of any product, more so for batteries as we can not tolerate breakdowns. The service department of car companies usually are not as fast as that of battery makers. Let us hope Toyota listens and acts on your grievance. Amaron is also a good choice and so things should be better from now on.

That said, I have not had any battery problem in Etios (Tata Green) till now (after 2 years and 22000 + kms).

I guess individual preferences vary and that explains why some of us love Etios while some others don't.
amateurpro is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks