Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 20:19   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post

Being well aware of the flaws in Etios' previous version, I was particularly apprehensive about the NVH levels within the cabin. But the test drive proved otherwise. The cabin space was really silent. Toyota really worked on it in the 2013 version. A special mention about the suspension, according to my dad, who was at the rear seat, the ride was comfortable even when I was driving through an uneven road. Though I felt there is still scope for improvement.

The TD, VFM of the Xclusive edition, festive season offers and reliability of the Toyota brand(along with the presence of relative within the company), sealed the deal for me. Booked it two days after my TD. Must say myself and family happy about the decision
The Etios petrol has the segment leading engine, no wonder you found it to be good.
And regarding NVH, the diesel version is the one that has higher NVH and it was reduced to an extent in the 2013 version.
And Congrats on your booking! Welcome to the Toyota Family!
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 21:09   #767
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Being well aware of the flaws in Etios' previous version, I was particularly apprehensive about the NVH levels within the cabin. But the test drive proved otherwise. The cabin space was really silent. Toyota really worked on it in the 2013 version.
There is a huge improvement on 2013 version. The team-bhp official review misses this point, since there was no specific review for this release ( maybe, since most of the changes are thought to be cosmetic )

Quote:
A special mention about the suspension, according to my dad, who was at the rear seat, the ride was comfortable even when I was driving through an uneven road. Though I felt there is still scope for improvement.
During my last trip to Idukki/Thekkady, I was in the back seat for a good stretch of journey. Have to say, it's the most comfortable place to be on, when driving through bad roads. You don't feel any undulations on the road at all.

Quote:
Etios looked cool in classic grey color. The cleverly designed beige-grey interiors were to my liking. The central console bit awkward but will get used to with practice. AC was not powerful but again not a deal breaker. The need for rear speakers was apparent, and in-comes aftermarket composites. Apart from that the HU with front speakers did a great job for the front passengers.
Make sure that you fit the rear speakers from Toyota. Else, it will compromise the warranty of your rear seat.

Quote:
The TD, VFM of the Xclusive edition, festive season offers and reliability of the Toyota brand(along with the presence of relative within the company), sealed the deal for me. Booked it two days after my TD. Must say myself and family happy about the decision
The Etios Petrol is one of the most fun to drive cars around. I still miss this. ( Had booked Etios Petrol before switching to Diesel thanks mainly to the astronomical cost increase of Petrol during that time - 2010 )
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 21:26   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Make sure that you fit the rear speakers from Toyota. Else, it will compromise the warranty of your rear seat.
Thanks amalji for pointing it out. But I have one query, the accessory list provided by the dealer don't show rear speakers. So, I was going for aftermarket JBL ones(preferably GT6-S366). But since it is a question of warranty, I sure will talk to them about it tomorrow. Lets see what they have to say about JBL speakers and also their prices. They are famed to price accessories higher than market value.

Also is it possible that I buy it from outside and ask the dealer to make the fitting before the car goes for registration?

Last edited by Apple Master : 24th October 2013 at 21:48.
Old 24th October 2013, 21:52   #769
BHPian

I can vouch for the fun to drive nature of Etios petrol which I owned for 37,500 kms before upgrading to Innova for family reasons.

Every single km I drove was pure fun. Overall ownership of 2 years 1 month and 37,500 kms was a mixed one. Initially there were lot of rattles but then at the end it was a settled and rattle less vehicle.

Even after upgrading to an MPV (arguably the best MPV at the moment) I still miss my Etios.

Thanks.
Old 24th October 2013, 22:01   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The central console bit awkward but will get used to with practice.
The best thing about the central console is that you can use your steering tilt with freedom. On a car with conventional console, you will have to adjust the tilt so that you don't obstruct the speedo. On the Etios, you can adjust your tilt to the most ergonomic position, and still see the speedo comfortably. You will get used to the new position in a month or so. Don't worry.

Quote:
Thanks amalji for pointing it out. But I have one query, the accessory list provided by the dealer don't show rear speakers. So, I was going for aftermarket JBL ones(preferably GT6-S366).
I would highly recommend brand - infinity over JBL. JBL gives big sound, but the crispness is missing in most of their models.

Quote:
But since it is a question of warranty, I sure will talk to them about it tomorrow. Lets see what they have to say about JBL speakers and also their prices. They are famed to price accessories higher than market value.

Also is it possible that I buy it from outside and ask the dealer to make the fitting before the car goes for registration?
Get quotes from outside vendors. Then bargain with your dealership. If they say that they cannot do it at a good price, give them the option that you will bring the speakers, just fit them ( for a nominal labour charge )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
I can vouch for the fun to drive nature of Etios petrol which I owned for 37,500 kms before upgrading to Innova for family reasons.

Every single km I drove was pure fun. Overall ownership of 2 years 1 month and 37,500 kms was a mixed one. Initially there were lot of rattles but then at the end it was a settled and rattle less vehicle.

Even after upgrading to an MPV (arguably the best MPV at the moment) I still miss my Etios.

Thanks.
Etios Petrol is one of a kind. For fun on the road, there are not many cars this side of 10 lakhs that offers more fun. And it's not just power, the superb braking and dynamics adds to the fun.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 18:05   #771
BHPian

My friend's Liva's AC didn't work this morning. So, called up Toyota and asked them for a pick up and service. To our surprise, Toyota sent a flatbed truck to tow away the vehicle which had only the A/C issue! They could have sent some personnel to drive it away but, they sent a flatbed at no added cost!! No wonder Toyota's service is the best!
Old 25th October 2013, 18:33   #772
BHPian

Quote:

Get quotes from outside vendors. Then bargain with your dealership. If they say that they cannot do it at a good price, give them the option that you will bring the speakers, just fit them ( for a nominal labour charge )
Talked to the dealer person today. They don't supply rear speakers neither will they fit them and quite obviously will not cover any damage arising because of my modifications.It seemed strange. If I know correctly, Toyota dealers of other cities are readily providing the same service.

I guess I will have to fit the speakers from a good workshop.

What a drag!!!
Old 25th October 2013, 22:07   #773
Team-BHP Support

A colleague picked up a new Etios V SP i.e. petrol top end model. The new grey colour. Another colleague has a 2011 V model and I got a good chance to compare both.

Interior quality improved by a big margin. The lighter colours and better looking plastics really lift the interiors. Doors felt slightly less tinny almost like they had some damping inside. New car door needs a firm push but not like the whack you need to give to the earlier one.

When driving it, the difference was also noticeable. NVH levels are improved and the suspension feels like it has another layer of damping/absorption. Much more pliant than before and less racket. It's very refined and smooth now compared to before.

Overall good improvements over the first gen. The on road price was slightly more than a Dzire and Amaze and for that he was getting a full size sedan and 1.5L engine. Practical choice.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 23:19   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They don't supply rear speakers neither will they fit them and quite obviously will not cover any damage arising because of my modifications.It seemed strange. If I know correctly, Toyota dealers of other cities are readily providing the same service.
Yes, Nippon Toyota, Kerala does provide us with the option to fit rear speakers. I believe many other dealers also does so. I've requested fellow bhpian from Kolkata - Samba to help you out on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Interior quality improved by a big margin. The lighter colours and better looking plastics really lift the interiors.
Yes, it does make a huge difference. According to Toyota, they haven't changed the plastics. They just changed the colour combination and it suddenly started feeling "better quality"

Quote:
Doors felt slightly less tinny almost like they had some damping inside. New car door needs a firm push but not like the whack you need to give to the earlier one.
I own 2011 model VD. I felt somewhat the opposite. The older model just needed a slight push. On the newer model, it needs a firmer push ( especially on the rear doors ).

Quote:
When driving it, the difference was also noticeable. NVH levels are improved and the suspension feels like it has another layer of damping/absorption. Much more pliant than before and less racket. It's very refined and smooth now compared to before.
Yes, very good improvement in NVH.
Regarding suspensions, the modified suspensions on the older version also felt as good. Didn't your friend change the suspension to the newer designs ? Toyota does it free of charge to solve the thud sound.

Last edited by amalji : 25th October 2013 at 23:22.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 23:53   #775
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, Nippon Toyota, Kerala does provide us with the option to fit rear speakers. I believe many other dealers also does so. I've requested fellow bhpian from Kolkata - Samba to help you out on this.
Amalji that's so sweet of you

There some things that need words, for everything else there is the thank feature.
Old 29th October 2013, 18:58   #776
BHPian

Toyota Protect Plan Insurance

For my new Toyota Etios, I have opted for the 1st year insurance from Toyota. The car insurance will be under Toyota Protect Plan. It is a comprehensive plan, with zero dep, with IDV 5% less than ex-showroom price.

The salient features under this plan are as follows,
  • Instant Policy
  • One stop Insurance Solutions
  • Cashless Facility- Available at all Toyota dealers
  • Quick Delivery Time
  • Depreciation Waiver (Policy Excess need to be paid)
  • Personal Belongings Coverage- Covered up to Rs.10,000 in the policy(Excluding valuables, FIR required for these cases)
Do point out if any essential feature is missing in this policy.

I have the option to select among three insurance companies-
  1. IFFCO TOKIYO
  2. ICICI Lombard
  3. Cholamandalam
What is the general perception, regarding these insurance companies? Does it make a difference which company I opt for, given that everything will be dealt by Toyota.

Cheers!!!
Old 31st October 2013, 15:20   #777
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Protect Plan Insurance

Quote:
It is a comprehensive plan, with zero dep, with IDV 5% less than ex-showroom price.
Zero dep insurance gives you peace of mind. If you read through my ownership thread, you will understand that. All you have to pay is 1000 and the rest is taken care of by the insurance.

Quote:
Do point out if any essential feature is missing in this policy.
I don't see anything missing here.

Quote:
I have the option to select among three insurance companies-
  1. IFFCO TOKIYO
  2. ICICI Lombard
  3. Cholamandalam
What is the general perception, regarding these insurance companies? Does it make a difference which company I opt for, given that everything will be dealt by Toyota.
I'm not sure about others. But, I'm using Cholamandalam zero dep. I had to use it 3 times in the last 2 years. The process was absolutely hassle free. No questions asked.
Old 31st October 2013, 15:33   #778
BHPian

Quote:

Zero dep insurance gives you peace of mind. If you read through my ownership thread, you will understand that. All you have to pay is 1000 and the rest is taken care of by the insurance.

I'm not sure about others. But, I'm using Cholamandalam zero dep. I had to use it 3 times in the last 2 years. The process was absolutely hassle free. No questions asked.
Thanks again amalji, you are a life saver, I too will go for chola.

It's a coincidence, I was actually going through your review this morning but couldn't complete it. Your etios is a diesel car, have a few queries related to petrol engine will ask you in that thread.
Old 31st October 2013, 20:31   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The need for rear speakers was apparent, and in-comes aftermarket composites...
Quote:
...I would highly recommend brand - infinity over JBL. JBL gives big sound, but the crispness is missing in most of their models...
Unless the HU is good (aftermarket) or there is an amplifier to run the Infinitys, there is no point in spending that money.

It would NOT give the optimum output.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 31st October 2013 at 20:34.
Old 31st October 2013, 21:36   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Unless the HU is good (aftermarket) or there is an amplifier to run the Infinitys, there is no point in spending that money.

It would NOT give the optimum output.
The HUs with the 2013 Etios is decent ( unlike the old version ).

And even on the old version HU, I've tried the infinitys on my mother's Liva. It simply rocks as far as sound quality is concerned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks