Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2017, 18:13   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
Hi all. How much of a difference do alloys make to a car with this power-to-weight ratio?
Negligible difference in terms of power or fuel efficiency. It's there more for aesthetics and durability reasons. Even durability is a questionable point since, you can replace 5 rims for the cost of an alloy. It's more aesthetics than anything else.

Last edited by amalji : 6th June 2017 at 18:15.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 20:46   #947
BHPian

Thanks, @amalji (I have been following yours & Samba's detailed ownership reports). VX makes lesser and lesser sense with every evaluation.
Old 9th June 2017, 14:02   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, @amalji (I have been following yours & Samba's detailed ownership reports). VX makes lesser and lesser sense with every evaluation.
Glad to be of help.
Yes, I just looked through the spec sheet for V vs VX. V covers most of it. The only glaring miss is the alloy wheel. If you are ok with that, then it's fine.
Old 9th June 2017, 15:04   #949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I liked the test drive in a VX variant very much; but I'm considering the V variant which has similar profile 185/60 R15 rims, not alloys like VX.
If you can live without the alloys, then get the V trim.

I personally liked the look with the alloys, and the fact that they were stronger than steel rims (bad roads, saw many bent rims on the Liva Gd we owned earlier - just the hassle of getting it changed) made us spring for the Vx variant with the Etios.

What I would recommend though - is a tyre upgrade. The stock bridgestones, though good for the diesel variant (unless you are getting the more powerful petrol - then an upgrade would actually play a big role in the dynamics) are noisy and not as soft.
Just upgraded to Yoko Earth Ones on the Etios (at 43Kkm), and there is a world of a difference in comfort and noise!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 15:29   #950
Senior - BHPian

I always thought alloys are a bad idea on bad roads - steel rims bend and can be hammered back into shape if necessary, or cheaply replaced. Alloys can break.

What they do offer is better retention of air pressure on decent roads. And their lighter weight is beneficial to ride/handling on high performance cars.

In this case, I'd say they are for show.

Last edited by Sawyer : 9th June 2017 at 15:30.
Old 9th June 2017, 22:52   #951
BHPian

Alloys aren't a great loss; rims are cheap, so, later, I could see about swapping with OEM alloys if they are available separately (BHP-ians don't seem to like after-market alloys). But my experience with my Palio Stile's steel rims has been good (in my driving conditions, really bad roads have been driven on rarely).

Tyre swap would have least loss on OEM tyres if I do it right after delivery. Surely the passengers would appreciate a quieter cabin (although they didn't like the deathly quiet of the Zest).

@Sawyer, I think @lamborghini's point about alloys being useful on the petrol may be valid; I am looking at the petrol.

Last edited by yatin : 9th June 2017 at 22:55.
Old 10th June 2017, 07:09   #952
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, I thought he meant a tyre upgrade and not a wheel one? I have a 1.5 petrol Liva with stock Bridgestones and I am quite ok with the Turanza that came as OE. I also have alloys because there was no option if I wanted the 1.5 petrol engine in the hatch, which I did want.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 09:44   #953
BHPian

@Sawyer, I think he talked about both wheels and tyres. But thanks for your tyres inputs - I wouldn't want to swap perfectly adequate tyres prematurely.
Old 11th June 2017, 14:25   #954
BHPian

Old Etios in new bottle

It has been 6 years with Etios and the car has done about 70,000 kms. While I continue to be happy with the vehicle, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some excitement in terms of doing some customisation to the vehicle. I am sharing my experience in trying various accessory options available.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyotaetiosnewbumperplatinum.jpg

The new front bumper of the Platinum Etios is so good looking that I wanted the same in my car. Got it done with my regular Toyota dealer who seems to have done a good job. They took a photograph of my vehicle with an intention to sell this idea to other Etios owners.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyotaetiostouchscreenaudio.jpg

The stock CD player that came with my car (Etios V) was overdue for replacement. I wanted one with a touchscreen but I did not want to spend much. So I settled with this Blaupunkt model. This comes with Bluetooth, USB, FM radio, rear camera etc but does not have navigation, CD player or an option to integrate with steering control (Etios V 2011 model did not have steering mounted audio control anyways). The audio quality is so much better now (I have not changed the front or rear speakers) and the touchscreen has made the interiors look so much better.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyotaetioswoodenarmrest.jpg

This is a small improvement in the form of door side armrests with wood finish. It did not make a huge impact on the overall look. Possibly, having a wood finish for the centre cluster would be a better idea. The Toyota dealer is yet to confirm if the same fits my model. They are saying it might fit only Platinum Etios but not the earlier models.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyotaetiosrearlampchromegarnish.jpg

The chrome garnish on rear lamps is a good addition but not many people have taken notice of it. I still like it since there is very little we can do to improve the rear looks in Etios, its weakest point.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyotaetiosdriverarmrest.jpg

The driver arm rest is a good addition but this is not a Toyota product. The one I bought online may be doing its job but it is very filmsy. I would prefer a Toyota arm rest any day to the aftermarket one, though Toyota is not offering it now. So I would not recommend this to anyone. But if you want an armrest for front seat, aftermarket is the only solution as of now.

Overall, I am happy with four out of the five things that I have tried with my old Etios, the first two being more impactful. It looks fresher and better.

Last edited by amateurpro : 11th June 2017 at 14:28.
amateurpro is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 10:06   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Old Etios in new bottle

The new front bumper of the Platinum Etios is so good looking that I wanted the same in my car. Got it done with my regular Toyota dealer who seems to have done a good job.
Looks nice. How much did it cost you ?
Also, if you change the headlamps as well, it will give it a new car look.

Quote:
I wanted one with a touchscreen but I did not want to spend much. So I settled with this Blaupunkt model. This comes with Bluetooth, USB, FM radio, rear camera etc but does not have navigation, CD player or an option to integrate with steering control (Etios V 2011 model did not have steering mounted audio control anyways). The audio quality is so much better now (I have not changed the front or rear speakers) and the touchscreen has made the interiors look so much better.
Even though, I'm still not a fan of touchscreen audio in cars due to ergonomic reasons ( I prefer fixed position controls which I can operate while driving without taking the eye off the road ), the blaupunkt model that you have gone for is a fantastic value for money model. For the price it is sold at, it gives very good utility and good quality sound as well.

I had considered Alpine CDE-W265EBT as an upgrade but decided against it since, I might change the Etios for a Vios CVT/Corolla CVT soon ( the only thing I miss in my Etios - an automatic transmission ).

Last edited by amalji : 12th June 2017 at 10:11.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 11:07   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Looks nice. How much did it cost you ?
Also, if you change the headlamps as well, it will give it a new car look.

I had considered Alpine CDE-W265EBT as an upgrade but decided against it since, I might change the Etios for a Vios CVT/Corolla CVT soon ( the only thing I miss in my Etios - an automatic transmission ).
The cost of moving to new bumper was 23.9 k (all inclusive). The grill also needs to change along with bumper. Just as you said, this Blaupunkt model offers good VFM at a cost of 15 k (including taxes and installation charges).

Is VIOS coming anytime soon to India?
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 12:32   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is VIOS coming anytime soon to India?
I hope that it comes. I'm anticipating it being showcased in February 2018 Delhi Autoexpo. If it doesn't come, I'll have to look for plan B which includes Corolla CVT and Innova crysta automatic in the list. With the kind of issues that Crysta has been having since release, I have kind of cut it off atleast for now. And I always have a weakness towards sedans due to the balance of comfort, stability and driving comfort it offers compared to an SUV or even an MUV.

The 2 main reasons why I want to change cars are
  • I've switched to Bangalore. Do not want to pay 1 lakh plus as taxes to continue keeping a 6 year old vehicle.
  • Automatic transmission to beat the driving effort required in horrible Bangalore traffic. During one of my recent trips to Kochi, I was driving around the city in a Celerio automatic and realized that automatics makes a world of difference in driving comfort on bumper to bumper traffic. Moreover, automatic will make the car more accessible to my wife as well.

With the Etios, you have nothing else to complain on. It provides more than enough passenger space, boot space, comfort, high speed stability, safety, and the Toyota reliability. And this 6 year old vehicle is still cheaper to maintain than any other new cars in the market! The Etios is kind of a 10 years plus ownership car.

Last edited by amalji : 12th June 2017 at 12:36.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:05   #958
BHPian

Quote:

The 2 main reasons why I want to change cars are
[*]I've switched to Bangalore. Do not want to pay 1 lakh plus as taxes to continue keeping a 6 year old vehicle.[*]Automatic transmission to beat the driving effort required in horrible Bangalore traffic.
Very clear thoughts on why you are going for a change. Corolla would be cool and hope you would have Vios as an option too.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 14:00   #959
BHPian

Quote:
The only thing I miss in my Etios - an automatic transmission.
Amalji, do you have any update or information pertaining to Etios getting an automatic transmission? Because many customers are delaying their purchase decision and waiting for an Etios automatic to be launched. Any information or update in this regard will be very helpful for the potential customers.
Old 12th September 2017, 14:39   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by db0009 View Post
Amalji, do you have any update or information pertaining to Etios getting an automatic transmission?
No update as such. But, logically it should happen with the next Delhi auto expo in February 2018. Either the Etios automatic ( which is already released in Brazil ) or the vios automatic with the super cvt or both might make their presence in the next auto expo.

Most Viewed