Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2020, 07:49   #1021
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Petrol : Maruti Suzuki Ciaz
Diesel : Ford Aspire
True with Ciaz Petrol with their new 1.5L petrol engine. Not so true with Ford Aspire diesel. It's a great engine and more fun over the Etios Diesel. However, it is not as reliable as the Etios. I own a Figo S TDCI and there were issues with the car. Two warranty claims already in 2 years of ownership. Service bills are as low as that of Etios. However the service experience is not on par with Toyota. Ford needs to improve their service stations drastically. Looks like a road side mechanic shop. This is with few Ford service stations in Mumbai.
Old 15th December 2020, 08:01   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Certain cars you just do a TD for the heck of it and they just floor you: that was Etios (petrol) for me. I didn't expect anything from the car when it was brought home for the TD, moment I just sat in it my perception changed totally (any one whose driven a low seated Elantra for 12 years would realize that) and when I drove I just fell in love with it, even my family members who were like "Why this car of all cars" were impressed by the space and comfort on offer. But they put their foot down because I was going to replace (downgrade) Elantra with this: the "cab" image did not cut well with them so I had to let the Etios go. So went for the Honda City CVT. This was way back in 2017.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 15th December 2020 at 08:11.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 08:12   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
So went for the Honda City CVT. This was way back in 2017.
Between Etios and City (petrol), the latter wins it hands down. As an overall Sedan, City is much better than Etios. I always thought, Etios Diesel to be the most VFM sedan. For me the Etios Petrol was a bit over rated. It is smooth and likeable but then when you have an option of an iVtec why should one go with the Etios's 1.5 L petrol. Reliability with both Honda and Toyota are on same lines. City is expensive over Etios but you get a lot more than the difference you pay.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 08:48   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I own a Figo S TDCI and there were issues with the car. Two warranty claims already in 2 years of ownership.
Were the issues so severe that you'd rule out the car? Ford were unable to fix it?

The 1.5 TDCI is no more complex than the engine you find in the Etios diesel. Its a simple motor and can last a long time if you take care of it. I would be surprised if anything were to fall apart on this engine. I'd go to the extent of saying that the Aspire has better quality of materials on the inside compared to an Etios.

Toyota kept it pretty simple with the Etios which is why it was ultra reliable. That said, it was a dated model when Toyota launched the car. Comes as no surprise why there were more cabs on the road than personal cars.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th December 2020 at 08:50.
Old 15th December 2020, 09:24   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Which car (sedan or compact sedan) under 12 Lakhs comes to your mind as a fill it and shut it kind of replacement of Etios?
You can look at Toyota Yaris. J and G variant should be available in Mumbai under 12 lakhs.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 10:00   #1026
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Which car (sedan or compact sedan) under 12 Lakhs comes to your mind as a fill it and shut it kind of replacement of Etios?
As a replacement to Etios I see the following order:
1. Ciaz/XL6 (for those captain seat comfort) - as fuss free as Toyota
2. Yaris J or G CVT. It's full elegant looking VFM car as compared to a sub 4m one.

A big no for Venue and Sonet for me as they look nothing but a high GC hatchback. OTOH Ecosport is an exception that has a very good feel as compared to competition.

Last edited by KPR : 15th December 2020 at 10:01.
Old 22nd December 2020, 20:14   #1027
BHPian

As I am closing in on 40k clicks on my Liva, here's a few thoughts on what has been a boring experience with the Liva for the past 6 odd years.

1: The engine is a gem through & through. Gearbox is slick, positive shifts all the way. Have tried the best of engine oils/ additives & even without them, get 14-15kpl in Mumbai city driving & 21-22 on the highways with AC on.

2: The NVH could have been definitely better. Big irritant.

3: Why did Toyota even bother to give ICE on this car? Its as good as not being there.

4: Because of the centre console I have actually forgotten looking at what speeds I am going. On the positive side its a good thing because now I can guess which speed I am going at without looking at the console!!

5: The doors don't have rubber beading on them. Which has ensured every time I take her out for a drive, have to spend 10 minutes cleaning water droplets on all doors OR I have to leave my keys with the security so that the washer boy can do the same. *facepalm* every single time.

6: The rear bench, width, comfort and overall space spoil you. We are all tall people in the family and even then 5 of us sit comfortably. Sad that no cars/ compact SUVs today offer such kind of space. The Etios was a wasted opportunity by Mumbai cabbies as their vehicle of choice.

7: Experience with Toyota showrooms and customer service has been frustrating esp because none of them allowed me to put my choice of engine oil even outside warranty period. FYI, I stuck with my original 3yr/1L km warranty, didn't opt for extended ones.

8: As of now, the suspension has started to give in, needs replacement. Needs body work, re painting and a few other odd jobs.

I have had a love hate relationship with our Liva. There are times when I absolutely hate her but at the same time I reflect and look back at some facts that she's never broken down, has just kept going & going & going.

I may probably restore her and keep as a beater car. One reason to keep her is the 1 million mark in mind. God knows when shall I reach there!

Also fail to understand why Toyota didn't go ahead with a sequel with what has been a moderately successful car in my opinion. There were many points to take it forward. Sigh!

Last edited by coolmel : 22nd December 2020 at 20:16.
coolmel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 12:04   #1028
BHPian

Etios - Auto folding ORVMs installation

Hi All,

Has anyone gotten Auto folding ORVMs installed for their etios?
I searched on amazon/boodmo, but couldn't find an after-market option.

Do share your experiences.
Old 24th September 2022, 14:13   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Re: Etios - Auto folding ORVMs installation

https://www.hotcarshop.in/productdet...ts&_pc=PROD869

Saw this online, but haven't heard of this site so didn't order.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 00:07   #1030
BHPian

Update on 60,000 kms servicing of my Etios VX purchased on December 2015.

Service was done at 55K on the ODO. I preponed it to fix a wobble or boat like side-ways movement on bad roads.

This is the first non-consumable expense incurred on my Etios. SA said that some front stabilizer components had worn out and needed to be replaced.

The following parts were replaced -
Bush Stabilizer (2)- Rs 742.2
Cushion Stabilizer (9)- Rs 1532.16
Link Stabilizer (2) - Rs 860.16
Retainer Cushion (8) - Rs 1126.4

Total cost of parts - Rs 4260

Parts replaced.
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-octparts.png

Labor cost for the replacement
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-octlabor.png

Labor cost - Rs 2460.

Total cost of repair - Rs 6270.

For the first time in 7 years, I opted for interior cleaning and AC front evaporator cleaning as additional services. Shaw Toyota did a good job on both. Post this service, the AC air flow is remarkably better and now works like new. Deterioration in AC performance was noticeable in the last 2 years. In hindsight I should have done this earlier.

Premium Interior Enrichment (Optional) - Rs 2066
Automatic Air Fresh - Front Evaporator (Optional) - Rs 1985

I am still running the original brake pads and shockers. The front brake pad thickness is at 5 MM.

My driving style is sedate and I make maximum use of the lovely gear ratios of Etios. I look ahead in the traffic and try to use more accelerator and brakes and less clutch and gear shifts. My usual commute roads aren't that great. Some long-distance trips also had lots of patches of bad roads that hit me at high speeds.

The tyres were changed at 40,000 kms. The stock goodyear had become noisy and puncture prone. I replaced them with Continental. This was on the advice of Darshan tyre who placed Continental between Michelin and Bridgestone in terms of comfort and endurance. It turned out to be a very good choice indeed.

My ownership experience so far has been very pleasant and in the absence of a compelling reason, I have no plans to replace it.

I bought the Etios since it was the cheapest car on parameters of safety and reliability; performance was a bonus. Before this I owned a Hyundai Getz 1.3 and the decision to change was taken on June 12th 2015. This was the day when news reports came in of an accident by an inebriated lawyer who was driving her Audi on the wrong side of the road. I had to have a safer car and the Getz had to be replaced. The second choice was Honda City and I wasn't willing to pay the difference for the (in my opinion) non-essential features. Besides this Honda City lacked a pre-tensioner and its present in the Etios.

I am always surprised and amused at the willingness of people to spend so much money on looks and creature comforts while giving safety and reliability a miss. I somehow do not understand this logic at all.

Last edited by kotirajendra : 31st October 2022 at 00:33.
kotirajendra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 10:17   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
[b].

The tyres were changed at 40,000 kms. The stock goodyear had become noisy and puncture prone. I replaced them with Continental. This was on the advice of Darshan tyre who placed Continental between Michelin and Bridgestone in terms of comfort and endurance. It turned out to be a very good choice indeed.

Did you upsize or stick to the stock size? I assume cc6?

I have a 2017 VX that's run 24k. I'm thinking of changing mine to because steering and handling becomes very vague Post 60kmph, especially sharp corners.
Old 31st October 2022, 21:26   #1032
BHPian

Yes stock tyre size. Might be CC6, there was only this one variant available in that profile. Apart from a 100W headlamp, I don't have any other changes.

If it weren't banned, I would have gone for tinting as the absence of UV cut glasses really makes long drives uncomfortable. If there is one missing feature that I crib about most in the Etios then it is this absence of UV cut glasses.
Old 31st October 2022, 22:36   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes stock tyre size. Might be CC6, there was only this one variant available in that profile. Apart from a 100W headlamp, I don't have any other changes.

If it weren't banned, I would have gone for tinting as the absence of UV cut glasses really makes long drives uncomfortable. If there is one missing feature that I crib about most in the Etios then it is this absence of UV cut glasses.
How do you find the high speed handling, especially cornering feel and grip. Is there any improvement and how much?
Old 31st October 2022, 23:25   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
How do you find the high speed handling, especially cornering feel and grip. Is there any improvement and how much?
I never had any problem at high speeds or cornering with Goodyear and none with Continental. In any case I am a defensive driver and not a risk taker so don't go by my judgement .

Goodyear used to compress too much on bumps and you could often hear a thud sound. That is completely solved with Continental; even with 5 passengers and luggage. The ride quality has improved remarkably. It's a different feeling altogether especially when the air pressure is perfect. I am saying this even after the Tyres being 2.5 years old. I feel like I wasted 4 years of driving pleasure on the stock tyres.

Before concluding on tyres consult the SA, it could be some other suspension related issue as well.
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:37   #1035

Quote:
Update on 60,000 kms servicing of my Etios VX purchased on December 2015.
I have a 2017 Platinum Etios VXD with 42000km on ODO. It was nice to read your post.

Quote:
I'm not sure about puncture-prone, but yes they are noisy. That's a trade-off made by TKM based on road-conditions, frankly speaking. These hard tyres just won't die on potholes-ridden highways. However, being hard, they have a tendency to age unevenly faster. I was able to corroborate this with multiple SAs from different dealerships and a few cab drivers. As a result of uneven ageing, I had to replace them with Yokohama Earth-1 for 5k per tyre, when my OD was 32000km. These are softer than stock Goodyear, but lot less noisy. Fortunately, I haven't had any tyre-damage scares even when driven for more than 1000km in a single stretch, on multiple occasions, even on dreaded 'Maharashtra' stretch of NH44.

Quote:
I bought the Etios since it was the cheapest car on parameters of safety and reliability; performance was a bonus. Before this I owned a Hyundai Getz 1.3 and the decision to change was taken on June 12th 2015. This was the day when news reports came in of an accident by an inebriated lawyer who was driving her Audi on the wrong side of the road. I had to have a safer car and the Getz had to be replaced. The second choice was Honda City and I wasn't willing to pay the difference for the (in my opinion) non-essential features. Besides this Honda City lacked a pre-tensioner and its present in the Etios.
Around the time of my purchase in Nov 2017, Vento was offering lap-belt for rear-middle passenger, City doesn't have adjustable headrest for rear passengers even now. I remember reading a news article where Hyundai India had given a statement that meant 'Crash testing is not mandatory in India, so we don't see a need to send our cars for testing'. Let's not even discuss DZire, the so-called direct competitor to Etios according to auto-journalists.

Quote:
I am always surprised and amused at the willingness of people to spend so much money on looks and creature comforts while giving safety and reliability a miss. I somehow do not understand this logic at all.
As they say, Ignorance is a bliss.
kmaitrey064 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks