Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:52   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
By June, Etios should be available off the shelf. Dzire Petrol, which is in this category sells about 3000-4000 per month. Etios too will settle for this number. With a capacity of about 7000 pm, they should be able deliver all the bookings by May.

I booked on day 1 and my car is ready in the warehouse 10 days ago and I am taking delivery today. Initially they were talking March/April delivery.
Thats pretty good, having your car in delivery line with the Day 1 booking. Congrats and have a good time taking the delivery.

As per the 7k pm capacity, Toyota is targetting 70k pa inclusive of both Etios and Liva that is still to be launched. So, it will still have some waiting time. DZire is also having a variable waiting time of 1-2 months. So that should not be a big problem for Toyota. Although, the first 6 months will be the trying time as the customer feedback will start coming in and maybe Toyota will hold on to major production ramp-up until it sees the on-road response.
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:13   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post

I booked on day 1 and my car is ready in the warehouse 10 days ago and I am taking delivery today. Initially they were talking March/April delivery.
Have your got your delivery as promised ? Share us your dealer experience and joy of owning a new car, looking forward
Old 4th February 2011, 18:47   #378
Senior - BHPian

Some color choices for Etios:
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios21.jpg  

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios22.jpg  

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios24.jpg  

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios25.jpg  

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios26.jpg  

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios27.jpg  

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios28.jpg  

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios29.jpg  

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios18.jpg  

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-toyota-etios19.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by parsh : 4th February 2011 at 18:49.
Old 4th February 2011, 18:58   #379
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The carpet definitely is a let down, strands peeling and hanging out of it and easy to get spoiled very soon. I think there would lot of after-market laminations available and hope that Toyota dealers make it available at the dealerships as an accessory. I had seen such laminations on a few cars.
Your post got me thinking. Here's what I would get for my Etios:

- Thick, better carpeting from the after-market.

- Thick, underbody anti-rust coating (the black, gooey one). This, and the previous point, should greatly improve NVH levels.

- A proper spare wheel cover (the stock perforated material is S-A-D!).
Old 4th February 2011, 19:55   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your post got me thinking. Here's what I would get for my Etios:

- Thick, underbody anti-rust coating (the black, gooey one). This, and the previous point, should greatly improve NVH levels.

- A proper spare wheel cover (the stock perforated material is S-A-D!).
As usual, your analysis and solutions are bang on.

It is possible that if one uses rubber matting all over (Toyota accessory one looks okay but it could be better) with a lamination on existing carpet it would help as well. I am only worried about the pains and damages customers would have to face, if things go wrong, while replacing the carpet.

Early TBHP customers, especially RegularIndian and Upgrade could note and implement early. Atleast the later customers will get the advantage of their experience and knowledge on these matters.
Old 5th February 2011, 13:52   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

So the ones offered by Toyota are not good enough? I've already paid 1.1K(for premium floor mat) and 2.5K(for the underbody coating).
Old 6th February 2011, 22:06   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
As usual, your analysis and solutions are bang on.

It is possible that if one uses rubber matting all over (Toyota accessory one looks okay but it could be better) with a lamination on existing carpet it would help as well. I am only worried about the pains and damages customers would have to face, if things go wrong, while replacing the carpet.

Early TBHP customers, especially RegularIndian and Upgrade could note and implement early. Atleast the later customers will get the advantage of their experience and knowledge on these matters.
I get noise more from engine cabin than under body especially at low speed. I am not sure to what extent underbody coating and lamination will help in reducing the noise coming from engine cabin. Should I consider some damping between engine and passenger compartments?
Old 8th February 2011, 20:35   #383
BHPian

Though my review is long overdue, (and I hope to have it up by tomorrow), I have to agree that it's a loud car with the loudness coming from the engine - almost sounds like a Diesel car! But it's not all that bad.

As for the carpeting, for the boot I have got the plastic/rubber luggage tray. Luckily, the dealer gave it to me (along with a couple of other accessories) for free! It doesn't fit exactly but certainly good enough for practical purposes. I am still waiting for Toyota to make the standard (fabric) floor mats available (grrr) as my inside carpeting is getting pretty dirty. The only ones available are the premium (black with red borders) and the rubber mats - neither of which would look good in my car. The dealer says stock is very limited and he should be able to get me one in about 4 days.

Last edited by vebmetal : 8th February 2011 at 20:38.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:42   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

He called me day later and said he liked this car but the dealer said Delivery not before Sep '11. Toyota lost a customer.
Toyota lost a customer in us too. We were ready with check but we were quoted a wait time of 18 months with an advance of Rs. 50000. Even if they increase production it could come down to 12 months, still too long a wait time when we need one in less than 4 months time. I guess the beneficiary would be dzire/manza or base vento.

Honestly, after driving manza, dzire and etios back to back, i can't get myself to pay Rs. 7.25 lakhs for Etios V when manza which is more loaded goes for Rs. 6.50 lakhs. Too much compromise in terms of looks, interior quality, plastic quality and features.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:42   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Too much compromise in terms of looks, interior quality, plastic quality and features.
You forgot the most important thing.What about the engine quality?
Old 9th February 2011, 11:11   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
You forgot the most important thing.What about the engine quality?
Not very sure of the engine quality as I have read in one of the ownership posts that engine is very noisy like a diesel. I think that the noise levels will come down after initial run-in period. Let hope Toyota has not made any drastic cost cutting in the engine department.
Waiting for owners to confirm..!
Old 9th February 2011, 17:29   #387
BHPian

Ya I too noticed the noise especially while idling.I think it's because of poor insulation;not an issue with the engine.But it's not as noisy as many people think that one wouldn't hear it amidst the city.And I would say that it's not as noisy as Swift diesel.
Coming back to the engine quality.It's fun to drive.It really is.You will enjoy every second with this car.And Manza finishes 3rd here behind the Dzire.
Hey how can I solve this issue with my profile?Should I write to somebody?
Old 9th February 2011, 17:42   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Not very sure of the engine quality as I have read in one of the ownership posts that engine is very noisy like a diesel. I think that the noise levels will come down after initial run-in period. Let hope Toyota has not made any drastic cost cutting in the engine department.
Waiting for owners to confirm..!
Engine is terrific and the best in class, both in terms of power and torque. The problem is noise due to poor damping. The noise is particularly high when the car is new (all the cars are new as of now) and I believe (& hope) it should go down significantly after the first service/few thousand kilometers.

I am getting my car's underbody coated with Waxoyl today and the first service will happen some time during next week. I'll update on the improvement in the noise front. Vibration has come down significantly after adjusting the front tyre air pressure and clocking 850 km.
Old 9th February 2011, 18:10   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Honestly, after driving manza, dzire and etios back to back, i can't get myself to pay Rs. 7.25 lakhs for Etios V when manza which is more loaded goes for Rs. 6.50 lakhs. Too much compromise in terms of looks, interior quality, plastic quality and features.
Tell me about it! I booked my Etios on 2nd Dec, but I keep second guessing and asking myself whether I should have gone with Manza instead. The Etios V lacks many features despite being about Rs. 60K higher OTR than Manza Aura+ and of course the rich cabin feel of the Manza is in different league altogether. Add a interminable waiting period and complacent dealers and I can see the Etios loosing many customers to Tata. I'm sticking to the Etios only because of the engine and build quality. Also, the availability of torque on tap - any speed, any gear - makes the Etios seriously Fun To Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Not very sure of the engine quality as I have read in one of the ownership posts that engine is very noisy like a diesel.
My experience from two TDs has been that the engine is silent enough up to at least 2,500 rpm. It gets a loud past 4,000 - but IMHO not so much as to be unforgivable and probably say 10% lesser that the Manza Safire at similar rpms. At idle, I found very little noise or vibration - not dead silent like the Manza, but low enough that you won't notice unless you specifically look for it.
Old 9th February 2011, 18:59   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
At idle, I found very little noise or vibration - not dead silent like the Manza, but low enough that you won't notice unless you specifically look for it.
I agree that there is little vibration.But didn't you hear the engine while idling? Gautam I think you should stick with the Etios because it's clearly the better car here.Fuel prices are rocketing and I hope you know about that 1.4 l engine's fuel efficiency.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks