Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 11:43   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@parsh,

Have been using Michelin XM1+ on my i10 for the last 2.5 years. Great handling and comfort on the high way-but certainly has not helped enhancing FE in anyway.
Thanks charthom. I was too thinking about XM1+ than yokos for Etios, although yokos on my innova are running great utterly smooth and stable. FE is something quite subjective I guess and will vary greatly and may not be attributed to the tyres so much as to other factors. So my question there may be irrelvant on the FE side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Goodyears are crappy tires. Get rid of them and go for Michelin XMI+ - they are very good for comfort and reduces the tire noise as well. About FE, I am not so sure ..there might be slight improvement but nothing noticeable.
Thanks adimicra. Mich and Yokos would definitely be better than Goodyears on ride and handling perspectives. Still speculating on which ones to go for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@parsh,XM1+ may reduce road noise,it will not eliminate it.Etios's cabin insulation is poor,a tyre change may not help.How about 3M rubber coating and insulation sheets(remember reading about them in the forum).Anyway,Etios engine noise is quite sporty-my son loved it.He says during test drive he felt as if inside a Lamborghini
charthom, your point is quite right on the cabin design of Etios. It is anyway prone to any road noise infiltration, just that it may reduce the noise to greater extent by having better tyres and improve stability, handling and comfort in ride. We have the Wurth thick underbody coat (equivalent to 3M coat) done before delivery only. But that is of little help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
The noise level goes down significantly after 2000 km. By 4000 km, it will not bother you much. It may still be higher than cars in the same category.

What is the FE they are getting? Also, is there any rattling?
Upgrade, just hoping it reduces but I personally do not have much hope about it. Seems the overall design will anyway allow whatever road noise to filter in. The tyre change may also not help greatly. So far, no rattling anywhere. Been particularly observing it keenly having read your posts. The FE has been varied right from 8.6 initial times to 14 kpl in Mumbai city and stabilizing around 12-14kpl, highways has been good 16 to 19 (once so far, and I am going to check it out again for a couple of times with sedate driving).
Old 13th June 2011, 13:57   #467
BHPian

@parsh, got the following from vishnugs's post.

Well, there were so many controversial discussion on the engine sound level, so I went for 3M rubberized underbody coating from day one. And in my experience, the engine sound is normal, sounds like a petrol swift if I have to pull in a closest comparison. So 3M coating highly recommended! But that said, the wind noise is marginally higher at higher speeds, thanks to the MRF tires arggg, planning to go for Rein Hold Wurth India 550mm x 250 mm with 2 mm sound proofing sheets.
Unquote

Sorry,I did not initially notice that you had already done the rubber coating.How about the sound proofing sheets? I strongly feel tht the high noise level's in the Etios is something you may have to ultimately live with.You may be able to reduce it-but not eliminate.

When we buy a car designed and marketed marketed mainly with the budget in mind,pumping in a lot of extra money may not enhance the feel.Of course,views will certainly differ-and I do not know the degree of difficulty you are experiencing.

Unless your GY tyres are giving you ride and handling problems,why change
them? They are not that bad.FE looks ok,many others are reporting similar figures too.I suggest you install the insulation sheets,drive the car for some time more,if the irritants are beyond tolerance then act.Tyre change at this stage might not help-will only dent your pocket.

Even my ANHC has poor insulation,MRF ZVTV tyres.But the sound is not intolerable-hence I have decided to postpone the tyre change.

If you happen to do the insulation and find it good,can you share the details?

Regards,charthom
Old 19th June 2011, 22:11   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Thanks charthom. I was too thinking about XM1+ than yokos for Etios, although yokos on my innova are running great utterly smooth and stable. FE is something quite subjective I guess and will vary greatly and may not be attributed to the tyres so much as to other factors. So my question there may be irrelvant on the FE side.
I'm using Yoko A Drives on my Corsa and have noticed a substantial reduction in NVH levels compared to the old Bridgestone.
Old 20th June 2011, 02:00   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The Etios G in our family has been rolling on roads since a couple of weeks. The review will come soon once through good observation.

The road-noise is a constant unwanted music to ears which also suppresses the music in the car due to the already known minimal dampening provisions in the car (and this inspite of Wurth thick AnitiRust underbody coating). I was contemplating a tyre change to offset the noise and since they are new, they would fetch good discounts. It came with Goodyear 175/65 R14. What would be better choice for Etios? Michelin XM1+ or Yokohama A-Drive connsidering the comfort and FE are priority?

The question may belong to the tyre thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...set-tyres.html, but posting here for Etios being car in question.
You can also try the Yokohama C.drive. There is a separate thread on this tire and the C.drive is slightly premium positioned compared to the A.Drive. I shifted to this tire from my Michelins last week.
Old 25th June 2011, 17:11   #470
Senior - BHPian

It has now been confirmed that the Toyota Etios Liva is indeed going to be launched on 27th June 2011. Live webcast of the launch available from 11:00am

Live webcast of Toyota Etios Liva on 27th June 2011
Old 26th June 2011, 11:10   #471
BHPian

Just got off the phone of Lanson Toyota in Chennai, had called them to enquire on Etios. They have the Liva display vehicle in the showroom and said if I book now, in 2 months they can deliver the vehicle. He said pricing could be between 4 to 6 L. Launch date is confirmed as tomorrow.

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 26th June 2011 at 11:11.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:23   #472
BHPian

The trim levels and prices from zigwheels website are given as follows for the Etios Liva.

Toyota Etios LIVA J: *Rs 3.99 lakhs
Toyota Etios LIVA G: *Rs 4.59 lakhs
Toyota Etios LIVA G (optional) : *5.05 lakhs
Toyota Etios LIVA V: *Rs 5.49 lakhs
Toyota Etios LIVA VX: *Rs 5.99 lakhs

*All above prices are ex showroom Delhi

I think we still can't comment on the value offered as it is not clear about what features are offered in each of these variants.
Old 1st July 2011, 23:17   #473
BHPian

Just got my Etios(Black,V) from the dealer.Will write a detailed review later. Currently I shift the gears using the tachometer reading.Would like to know the speeds at which the gears should be changed.

Last edited by fast&furious : 1st July 2011 at 23:41.
Old 2nd July 2011, 10:01   #474
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations fastandfurious on on getting your Etios(Black,V). Please share with us lot of pictures. Off late I am spotting many Etios here in Pune, most of them either maroon, gold or white. Haven't seen a black Etios yet. Also request you to start your separate ownership thread & post the link over here.
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:17   #475
BHPian

Thanks AutoIndian.By the way, my id is fast&furious.fastandfurious id belongs to some other person and the guys @ teambhp haven't replaced his profile with mine yet.Maybe it's impossible to do so because if the db issues.

IMHO Etios looks best in black.I will be writing a detailed ownership report but only after completing a few thousand Km s. But let me tell you 2 good things(that are not associated with this car)that I have noticed so far.

1.The cabin is noticeably silent! I could here the engine during the test drives but this car feels a lot more silent. Under-body coating's effect?

2.It looks cool.IMHO the black Etios looks very cool.The chrome strips and the big red lamps look very good with black.And the black colour also makes it look bigger.

The only thing that worries me : Goodyear tyres.
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:58   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
Thanks AutoIndian.By the way, my id is fast&furious.fastandfurious id belongs to some other person
Apologies for the goof up, I stand corrected.

Quote:
1.The cabin is noticeably silent! I could here the engine during the test drives but this car feels a lot more silent. Under-body coating's effect? The only thing that worries me : Goodyear tyres.
Thanks for sharing that. How much does the underbody coating cost? You better get your Goodyears changed. I haven't hear anything "GOOD" about the Goodyears.
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:33   #477
BHPian

It cost me around 2.5K and it comes with 5 years warranty. I think a few of the optional things like these act as sound insulators.

1.Luggage tray:It's a huge tray made of some flexible material(if I remember correctly) that covers the entire boot of the car.

2.Floor mat:When most others opted for the fabric (&better looking) floor mat, I opted for the rubber ones. I chose them because they are much easier to clean.But I don't know if they actually act as sound insulators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
You better get your Goodyears changed. I haven't hear anything "GOOD" about the Goodyears.
I know these tyres are not good. But are they strict nonos? I've already spent more than 25K extra all of a sudden because of the recent price hike and for the accessories.I don't think I will get good resale value either(it's goodyear and I already did 30 Km with it).Have no idea about the current tyre prices.

I might need to change the horn of my car.It doesn't suite the car at all. It's very similar to M800's horn!
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:12   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just got my Etios(Black,V) from the dealer.Will write a detailed review later. Currently I shift the gears using the tachometer reading.Would like to know the speeds at which the gears should be changed.
I guess the speeds are 20, 40, 60 & 80! But for running in, please go by rpm itself.

Please follow a 300-300-400km [total 1000 km] break up.

Ist 300 km - Shift at 2000-2500 rpm
2nd 300 km - Shift @ 2500-3500 rpm
Last 400 km - Try to red line in 1 & 2 gears and keep varying the speeds in all gears [try to shift as high as possible]. Don't keep the rpm constant over long journeys.

Also please make sure you don't do sudden braking & accelerations during the running in. Please ensure the car is accelerated / decelerated smoothly.

Note
:: Please don't try to check the FE for the last 400 kms running in period. You might be in for a rude shock after nice FE figures for the first & second 300 kms due to the red lining & high rpm shifts.

Also wish you miles of happy & safe motoring !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd July 2011 at 20:16.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:47   #479
BHPian

Thanks a lot swiftnfurious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
I guess the speeds are 20, 40, 60 & 80! But for running in, please go by rpm itself.
OK.Going by the rpm, I'm shifting @ 10,25,40 & 55 respectively. Toyota recommends a 1600 Km long run-in period!!!

I'm facing some issues with the gearbox.It's smooth but not that smooth. I know it's normal for new cars.The 5th gear (the one I use least) is very difficult to get into.It keeps on jumping into 3 when I shift to 5 and this is causing a sudden deceleration :(. How can I solve this issue? The gearbox feels very solid and new but not butter-smooth.

Another problem I had today: I was driving in 5th gear and while approaching a bend I decelerated to about 45 Kmph and tried to downshift to 4th.As I shift to 4th it suddenly made a loud 'creeeek'. I then moved it to N and then came back to 4 again and this time things went smoothly. It was a horrifying moment and I didn't shift to 5 again throughout the journey. What might have caused that creek sound?Was it because of the high speed or the lack of complete depression of the clutch?
Old 4th July 2011, 14:33   #480
BHPian

Tried the 5th gear again today.It is still not as smooth as the other gears. Hope that it will get smoother as I use it more. The ac is effective but it takes a little time to cool the whole cabin. So I'm forced to set the blower to full speed right from the start :(.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks