Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:34   #1516
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ehm so can this be assumed that the OE wiring has not provisions for AC and it will be a separate lines, which will NOT talk to the ECU? Assuming since i dont see any response to my doubts?
Spikey, can you tell me which ECM is used for THAR? is it from old generation C08 or C39 or is it from new generation C04?
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:48   #1517
AWD
BHPian

A friend of mine who recently bought Thar is experiencing the following issues:
- Door handle came of on the 1st day of ownership.
- OE tyre was fouling with Silencer.
- Silencer outlet opens over the numberplate.
- Tyre upgrade broke the fender cover while turning.

Dealerships solution for the tyre touching Silencer, hammer blows to push it!
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:11   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Spikey, can you tell me which ECM is used for THAR? is it from old generation C08 or C39 or is it from new generation C04?
It is C39. You didn't check this when you test drove?

Spike

PS- If you wanna know the make, you can check Khan's FB photo gallery
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:48   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
It is C39. You didn't check this when you test drove?
nope, i did not check it.
C39 was originally mHawk ECM right? which doesn't have fan control.
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:18   #1520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
If that's the case then the AC will be either on or off completely. Just like the direct AC running of good old days hey!. So much for the AC ready Thar.
Yup its not a true AC ready product as being projected here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
nope, i did not check it.
C39 was originally mHawk ECM right? which doesn't have fan control.
Darn, so if you really want to do it right its gonna be a costly affair!
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:58   #1521
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

once again yesterday I test drove the thar for a bit.
this is the third time Im spending time with the vehicle, looking around it and so on with a more or less neutral mind.
I still havent changed my mind about its crude and unsophisticated nature. It looks and feels more or less like our old MM540 of 1986 vintage. Loads of sharp bits, poor fit and finish quality and basically not worth the money in my opinion.

Considering that the MM540 dies etc must be more than fully depreciated now, why cant they pay more attention to overal quality, ergonomics, creature comforts, safety and security as well as of course, the engine?

This only reaffirms my view that M&M chaps are a bunch of greedy so and so's who want nothing more than to milk the poor misguided, starved for choice, Indian consumer. One is expected to pay stupid money for a re-hashed old metal box in 2011!! M&M come on - even you cant expect people to throw only roses at you - I for one, will continue to throw bricks until I see a significant actual factual physical quality improvement from your side!!! It appears from what I saw in that Thar yesterday, that M&M are causing alarm and consternation with their vendors by squeezing them to death on pricing - and compromising heavily on the quality of the interior and other components!

At risk of being impolite and sounding enraged and so on, I would like you guys at M&M to draw some inspiration from the attached Cartoon, as my suggestion to you for what you should do with the Thar and possibly the Major as well, till you get your quality act straight!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp the coup de grace - jeep.bmp (497.5 KB, 1154 views)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd April 2011 at 08:04.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:30   #1522
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This only reaffirms my view that M&M chaps are a bunch of greedy so and so's who want nothing more than to milk the poor misguided, starved for choice, Indian consumer. One is expected to pay stupid money for a re-hashed old metal box in 2011!! M&M come on - even you cant expect people to throw only roses at you - I for one, will continue to throw bricks
100% agreed. Dishing out such crap of a product which is nothing less than a hazard on road, literally shows that an average consumer is considered nothing more than a "Gadha" in the Board room meets/product development.

Last edited by AWD : 23rd April 2011 at 09:31.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:12   #1523
BHPian

Waited for this vehicle long and still waiting.

But it seems M&M is hellbent on spoiling things up, Come on M&M ouu can't sell this product as a LIFESTYLE vehicle without option of AC and HT even if its only 7.5 lakh on road !!!! Either you call it a barebone 4x4 and price it may be in the 5-5.5 lakh range so that we can then further mod it as we wish.

Mahindra RISE and SHINE, Yes as customers we dont have choice as of today for a true 4x4 offroader but that doesn't mean LOOT for auto manufacturers.

Thanks.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.
Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd April 2011 at 20:45. Reason: See note in the post.
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:18   #1524
Senior - BHPian

At times I feel that M&M should learn from the Japanese the art of achieving manufacturing excellence, every worker can suggest improvement which are discussed and accepted if warranted. Most of the bricks bats for Thar have to do with the manufacturing process - Fit & Finish. At times I pity the development team as they have to face the public wrath for no fault of theirs. I have yet to experience such niggles in a MUL or Toyota product.

This is a gross management failure, M&M should wake up to the shoddy workmanship reminiscent of the Ambassador days, and pull up the assembly line supervisors. After all the Scorpio coming from the same stable has much better fit & finish. As long as we have the "Chalta Hai" attitude and push shoddy product in a sellers market, we will not grow. Quality and attention should not be seen as an expense, it actually pays for itself in terms of lower warranty costs and better public acceptance.

I am apprehensive of what will happen to M&M if a better product comes to the market, will they go the Ambassador & Fiat way, after M800 changed the quality game?
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:55   #1525
BHPian

Re: Thar @ Chennai India Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
Spotted the Thar CRDE at the India Garage Showroom in Santhome, Chennai today morning.
Attachment 511148

But why is she on BigHorn tyres at the showroom??
The THAR is back @ the India Garage Showroom @ Santhome, Chennai. This time with stock tires.
ram.west is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:02   #1526
BHPian

THAR should have been one the best product from M&M, but turned out to be the WORST, all due to M&M being greedy and finding short cuts while developing this product. we simply blame it on marketing guys for not pricing it well. but it is not their idea. they have considered gypsy as the benchmark for pricing, but they should have also considered gypsy as benchmark in quality as well. THAR is the best project inside M&M because its a no loss project and even if they manage to sell 10 THAR per month, it still makes some good income to them. finally its the consumer who is at loss. but who cares.

and regarding AC, a factory fitted is still same as dealer fitted AC. and its absolutely a JUGAAD implementation, which is the reason why it can't come as factory fitted as it will spoil M&M reputation.
star_aqua is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 07:51   #1527
BANNED

sometime in the early 90's i watched a Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear or Motorworld programme where he reviewed a Mahindra Jeep in his inimitable if caustically witty and slightly offensive style. At the time, having zero reference points other than my dad's MM540 which I loved, I was slightly displeased - but in hindsight, I find that I totally agree with clarkson.
I do wish he and the other bad boys would find their way to reviewing the current Thar on Top Gear now in its 2011 "India market" avatar. I am 100% sure and will lay a reasonable wager that his review of it will be equally caustic and possibly serve to highlight the inherent flaws and shortcuts that M&M appear to have taken on the Thar.
I would be pleased if he did this and will certainly stand on the sidelines and clap loudly. Just hope that the top brass of M&M see this programme if indeed it is re-made! But having said this, they are notoriously thick skinned creatures and even his inimitable wit may not drive them to improve!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 07:56   #1528
Senior - BHPian

I think we should start looking at the THAR as an evolutionary product. This iteration is not the last THAR that MAHINDRA would be making, they surely will learn from this and get a better THAR - a THAR that can one day cock-a-snoop at the RUBICON just like how the THAR has evolved from the MM540
Old 24th April 2011, 08:09   #1529
BANNED

appreciate your sentiment - but I for one, won't be able to wait another 20 years for the Thar to lazily evolve at their amply demonstrated glacial pace, to the quality, trim and overall levels of the present Rubicon! Going by their general response to the public and feedback, they just may be able to attempt, in another couple of decades, to "cock a snook" as you eloquently put it, at the definitive world class jeeps such as the Rubicon!

M&M shouldnt be making excuses for this demonstrated shortfall in quality of their Thar - they have all the infrastructure, funds and talent to be easily able to equal if not surpass International Standards. What their besetting sin is, is their inherent laziness and willingness to compromise, in order to get to market quickly in order to be able to make money while the sun shines, from the poor deluded Indian consumer.

What makes their attitude in this sense, any different from that of HM Amby, throughout the protectionist economy years? No difference at all, I would venture to suggest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I think we should start looking at the THAR as an evolutionary product. This iteration is not the last THAR that MAHINDRA would be making, they surely will learn from this and get a better THAR - a THAR that can one day cock-a-snoop at the RUBICON just like how the THAR has evolved from the MM540

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th April 2011 at 08:12.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 09:03   #1530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
what about the people who dropped/scrounged 7 odd lacs to pay for a man, and got a monkey?
your statement is strange, to say the least.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed