Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2011, 13:27   #1606
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sam, you are smart, I was wondering who will quote these figures. But how to determine which Thar :- CRDe or DI?

Spike
Spike: Please can you do this for us

Common your statements makes it ambiguous. And what are the response of the company? Impressed by the figures? As 750 per month is considered not very great or is it?
Old 8th May 2011, 14:03   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Spike: Please can you do this for us

Common your statements makes it ambiguous. As 750 per month is considered not very great or is it?
Maddy42, I am afraid if I can disclose the figures as it is not my domain, but the figures are really impressive, believe me. Just to enunciate, in the launched cities so far CRDe outsells DI by a HUGE margin. This itself must make you happy, isn't it?

Quote:
And what are the response of the company? Impressed by the figures?
Everyone is !

Spike
Old 8th May 2011, 22:21   #1608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Jaggu: You are a Genius!
Talented rather

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Jaggu, you use a stethoscope or what? you are talking too much with your car . for a smaller engine(1.3ltr) you may feel it to some extent. what do you think about larger engines say 2.5ltr and above?
I really dont know Starji, but i think one can make out a gruff engine from a smooth engine. Especially one drives the car day in day out. That is all. Talking listening and all i really dont know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Are you referring to Mobil Delvac MX for your Swift DDIS?
Yes and i think it should work with other Crde engines and help more the engines that have EGR and Turbo. Hence recommended.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th May 2011 at 22:27.
Old 8th May 2011, 22:55   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Everyone is !
I hope this allows the bean counters and the typical MBA's to start thinking out of the box and introduce variants that can capture the consumer surplus. Believe me there is a big market out of there.

Awaiting a fully decked up and purposeful THAR out soon ala abhishek_d_zulu's Defeneder 110. A vehicle with character
Old 8th May 2011, 23:09   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Tell us what the sales figure is? .....

So again just tell us the figures and the breakdown between DI and Crde.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I would also like to know when lockable HT and AC comes Factory Fitted ?
Hi Maddy,
I can understand how keen you are to know how successful is THAR...specially the CRDe! All i can say it has performed much beyond anyone's expectations. Cant divulge the figures, blame the company policy.

Both Di and CRDe have been received well. What makes one happier is the response for CRDe in particular. This vehicle though being a niche product at the end of the day is selling more than some of the well deserving C segment cars!

Headers
You have asked this million dollar question every time..... Factory A/C will take time. Dealerfitted A/C is the only option for now. I drive one example every day testing it and i am happy.

Hardtop is exclusive to customization. I have seen it in making and trust me, even though expensive, it is worth it. We can't expect 40 K HT anymore.

So if you want A/C and Hardtop, the option is available. Only thing is you might have to pay more than you would like to.
vinod_nookala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 23:30   #1611
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Cant divulge the figures, blame the company policy.
Figures of vehicles across the board are divulged by Companies, evens the ones faring very badly are put up. Specially the figures for first couple of months when sales are higher are definitely put up.

According to you its "company policy", can just say its a pretty "poor policy" at that! What's there to hide!

Quote:
Factory A/C will take time. Dealerfitted A/C is the only option for now. I drive one example every day testing it and i am happy.
Still "testing it", how many owners would want to test it in their vehicles? Not me atleast!

Quote:
We can't expect 40 K HT anymore.
Bonkers! I was surely expecting one below it. To top it all the accessory is for a ~5 decades old Mahindra open Jeep!

Quote:
So if you want A/C and Hardtop, the option is available. Only thing is you might have to pay more than you would like to.
Available through some/few dealers with inadequate technical know-how.
Why would someone "pay more" than what it actually should be for? Again maybe some niche "uber rich" or as Jaggu says an "urban yuppie"!

Last edited by AWD : 8th May 2011 at 23:31.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:36   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Factory A/C will take time. Dealerfitted A/C is the only option for now. I drive one example every day testing it and i am happy.
Vinod, you test drive daily a factory fitted one or dealer fitted one? and is there any difference in both?
Old 8th May 2011, 23:47   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Figures of vehicles across the board are divulged by Companies, evens the ones faring very badly are put up. Specially the figures for first couple of months when sales are higher are definitely put up.

According to you its "company policy", can just say its a pretty "poor policy" at that! What's there to hide!

Still "testing it", how many owners would want to test it in their vehicles? Not me atleast!

Bonkers! I was surely expecting one below it. To top it all the accessory is for a ~5 decades old Mahindra open Jeep!

Available through some/few dealers with inadequate technical know-how.
Why would someone "pay more" than what it actually should be for? Again maybe some niche "uber rich" or as Jaggu says an "urban yuppie"!

AWD,
You have been extremely negative about THAR right from the begining. Thats your choice. Again we are doing our best among the options available! People who appreciate it have bought the vehicle. Some just write their endless wishlists..we have stopped taking them serriously.

'paying more than what you would like to'- refers to headers case. You are saying...paying more than what it should be! i hope you understand the difference. This shows you are purely here in for Masala!

With so many pages running we know what has clicked with THAR and what needs improvment. We are on the job. Hence waiting to pounce just as when some one from company posts is not in good spirit.

Star AQUA- Driving around with dealer fitted A/C. Have not been able to lay my hands on factory fitted example yet. This will happen when ever Dhabar will allow me to do so.:-))

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 8th May 2011 at 23:58.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:58   #1614
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
AWD,You have been extremely negative about THAR right from the begining. People who appreciate it have bought the vehicle. Some just write their endless wishlists..we have stopped taking them serriously.

This shows you are purely here in for Masala!

waiting to pounce just as when some one from company posts is not in good spirit.

"Negative", No. Critical, Neutral, Yes. Would you say the same about so many who have expressed their displeasure with the Vehicle & specially OP's post? The 1st post itself set the tone of the thread, which I believe was the right, neutral & a just one.

I guess, the "Wishlist" was a huge eyewash to gain popularity because almost no que from there was incorporated in the vehicle. Thank the people who spared their time to put up the Wishlists instead of dismissing them as non-serious.

Plight of the people who bought the vehicle is pretty evident on the Board, most are having issues with the Vehicle. A result of poor Testing & R&D, may I say more?

"Masala", what are the Company Reps. here for, "SALES"? Yes, that's about it.

"Good spirit". Is beating around the bush on A.C, Sales numbers, various other issues in "good spirit"?!

The Company reps have lost it to the true picture that has emerged on the Board. They just can't seem to swallow the downsides of the vehicle.

Last edited by AWD : 9th May 2011 at 00:07.
AWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 00:21   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Company reps .... just can't seem to swallow the downsides of the vehicle.
or rather you are not able to swallow the success of the vehicle in the market which you were in your words 'critical' about? Just look around, numbers on road will tell you the story.

We know THAR is not perfect or rather no vehicle/company is! There are umpteen examples of THAR owners who are happy.

As i said earlier we have a fair understanding what's working for THAR and what needs attention.

There are million good moments with THAR that customers have expressed. SOme are on this thread itself.There are many who are braving the summers and using THAR as a daily run about leaving thier plush cars aside. They know THAR is spartan. But some thing pulls them to headout in a THAR to work than thier trusted super comfy cars!! Now thats passion and addiction which I am happy many owners are expressing. Just check out the pics on Mahindra THAR facebook community, all of them tell a story.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 9th May 2011 at 00:32.
Old 9th May 2011, 00:23   #1616
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Headers
You have asked this million dollar question every time..... Factory A/C will take time. Dealerfitted A/C is the only option for now. I drive one example every day testing it and i am happy.

Hardtop is exclusive to customization. I have seen it in making and trust me, even though expensive, it is worth it. We can't expect 40 K HT anymore.

Good to see you posting. But its your word against the ground reality. A guy I know cancelled his Thar booking because a Bangalore dealer did not give him a clear answer to whether AC was possible in Thar or not.
There is another thread of a fiasco install(done by dealer) on this very forum.

I guess before accusing people of being negative, or asking for endless wishlists, you atleast make sure what you post on this forum is not empty talk but reality.

From the posts made by representatives of M&M it appeared that thar is AC ready and dealer fitment is possible, but unfortunately, it appears to be a hit or miss case with your luck deciding whether AC is possible or not.
Old 9th May 2011, 00:35   #1617
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
or rather you are not able to swallow the success of the vehicle in the market. Just look around, numbers on road will tell you the story.
I sincerely don't think its going to be a success given the issues/shortcomings with the vehicle. I just see Two new Thars in my City, should I count this as "successful"?

Why don't you give the numbers to justify your stand? Where's the "good spirit" now!

Quote:
not perfect or rather no vehicle/company is

The margin with other Companies/products is very-very thin these days/modern times. Whereas in the case of Thar, sadly that's all that is visible!

Good to learn that you people have the will to improve the Thar, we also want it to improve but for your words to start appearing True, first you will have to acknowledge & listen to the Shortcomings & not just dismiss as Negative talk.

Quote:
There are many who are braving the summers and using THAR as a daily run about leaving thier plush cars aside. They know THAR is spartan.
What sort of an argument is that! Just because someone is happy doing something, should I blindly follow?! These kind of answers or telling people about the backdoor effort, funds, etc. isn't going to help push sales on a Community whose members are both Aware & well-educated. I sincerely don't think you would find any of the above mentioned customers here on tbhp!

Last edited by AWD : 9th May 2011 at 00:42.
Old 9th May 2011, 00:52   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Good to see you posting. But its your word against the ground reality..... .
tsk1979 - Our purpose of being here inspite of being questioned a million times both by owners and non owners is for only one purpose....to be connected to reality.

My mention of happy cases is also to bring about the other side of ground reality. Owners of the vehicles are in touch with me and Dhabar and they know the time frame when they are getting their A/C fitted.

Quote:
Why don't you give the numbers to justify your stand? Where's the "good spirit" now!

Good to learn that you people have the will to improve the Thar, we also want it to improve but for your words to start appearing True, first you will have to acknowledge & listen to the Shortcomings & not just dismiss as Negative talk.
sadly AWD- being good spirit doesn't mean = revealing numbers to you

Anyway i trust all your comments are for well being of the product. We take it in a positive way and work towards it...now thats what i call it a good spirit isnt it?

I rest my case

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 9th May 2011 at 00:54.
Old 9th May 2011, 01:05   #1619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Cant divulge the figures, blame the company policy.
=====
You must be kidding!! both about revealing sales figure and about hard top costing more than 40K

Times when the line from Asterix comes to my mind, "these romans are crazy!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Vinod, you test drive daily a factory fitted one or dealer fitted one? and is there any difference in both?
You forgot the important question, does it overheat??

Quote:
tsk1979 - Our purpose of being here inspite of being questioned a million times both by owners and non owners is for only one purpose....to be connected to reality.
Vinod we appreciate it and hopefully you and team would set right all the niggles that these customers are facing, hopefully its not in millions.

But often i wonder why M&M treats this project as a top secret US navy seal operation. Even after its launch? For heavens sake its just an old time jeep with better tranny and front suspension, world is not gonna end if some numbers are given out. Hopefully it has touched 200-400 by now??
Old 9th May 2011, 01:36   #1620
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review -

The fact that so much is written about the Thar everyday in this thread is proof enough that the Thar is one vehicle on Team-BHP that simply refuses to fade away

Mahindra Thar is a profoundly stupendous vehicle. I say so with experience and confidence. Anybody who has driven the Thar as much as I have (till date) will not think otherwise.

Mark my words, the Thar in times to come will evolve into an iconic vehicle. 'Arre bhai log, Thar ko chalaa ke to dekho', then you will understand. It is a sublime concoction to say the least.

I use it as my primary vehicle even now (plan to do it all through the summers). I enjoy driving the Thar so much that the summer heat is not an issue for me at all. Seriously. Even my kids. They would rather ride in the Thar than any other vehicle in the family.

Mahindra Thar is not just a 4x4 'Jeep'. It is an EXPERIENCE that has to be savoured. Superb motor combined with a fantastic ride quality makes it a winner all the way. Many would argue with me regarding this. My advice to them, drive it to believe it.

It is very easy to discount/denigrate something because it does not involve any effort. But when one really wants to go into the pros and cons of something, some effort is required (a little more than punching the keyboard). In this particular case, it involves driving the Thar for a reasonable period of time and then coming to a conclusion.

Mahindra Thar is a winner. I know many on this forum will not agree with me, but then, to each his own. I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE. I am certain that the word 'experience' has value on this forum. If fellow members have a different opinion, then my only suggestion to them is to gather some 'experience' driving the Thar and then get back to me. After that if they still stand by their their view, then I would certainly respect that and that would mean only one thing, that the Thar really has some issues that need to be resolved.

I have been in touch with almost all the Thar owners till date. On this forum and also on Facebook. None of the owners have till date have had one negative thing to say about the Thar. Does that mean anything? Fellow members on Team-BHP have been relentless in bringing down the Thar via their posts. Most of these fellow BHPians have never even laid their eyes on the Thar, leave alone a TD!

My humble submission is that I know most of the BHPians are angry because their inputs have not seen the light of the day in the Thar that finally rolled out of M&M. I agree. There are some issues, but are these issues so immense that the whole product is sweeped into the dustbin? I stronly disagree. Thar, that has been delivered to the customers is a divine ride minus some interior issues. I know if on the first day of ownership, the door window handle comes apart, it is very disheartening. I wish M&M were more sensitive to consumers at the ground level, but the machine that they have delivered is amazing to say the least.

I am sure it will improve as time goes by and certainly in the near future satisfy all the shortcomings. But, till then owners like me will enjoy the Thar for what it is and it is blissful. As things improve, the current owners might opt for the innovations. Till then let us preserve some semblance and enjoy the Thar for what it is and not crib for what it could have been (repeat).
Janjua is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks