Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 02:20   #1621
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi Maddy,
Both Di and CRDe have been received well. What makes one happier is the response for CRDe in particular. This vehicle though being a niche product at the end of the day is selling more than some of the well deserving C segment cars!
Good to know that. Hope the numbers do cross a 1000 before you really get some competition in the market.

Quote:
But often i wonder why M&M treats this project as a top secret US navy seal operation.
This statement had me in splits. M&M this is so true.

Vinod: I reallly hope soon that you would be able to get theh customers away from the desi superman and come to the showroom to buy a jeep. That would be the day when alot of people here will be all smiles
Old 9th May 2011, 07:45   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Headers
You have asked this million dollar question every time..... Factory A/C will take time. Dealerfitted A/C is the only option for now. I drive one example every day testing it and i am happy.
@Vinod: RISE vinod RISE - M&M sells 7000 boleros a month with Heater AC and all rudimentary features and now we get this news about HT and AC - Please !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Vinod, you test drive daily a factory fitted one or dealer fitted one? and is there any difference in both?
Does it really matter - The reason i say this is he drives into M&M everyday

It is not like us lesser mortals who have to "fix" an appointment with the "dealer" who is located in the middle of nowwhere, where we go SPELL out our name and problems a 100 times after which the issue may get rectified!!

We may/may not pay for it as warranty may/may not be applicable!!

Quote:
Star AQUA- Driving around with dealer fitted A/C. Have not been able to lay my hands on factory fitted example yet. This will happen when ever Dhabar will allow me to do so.:-))
Ok I get the message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I guess, the "Wishlist" was a huge eyewash to gain popularity because almost no que from there was incorporated in the vehicle. Thank the people who spared their time to put up the Wishlists instead of dismissing them as non-serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
The Company reps have lost it to the true picture that has emerged on the Board. They just can't seem to swallow the downsides of the vehicle.
Come on AWD, how can they claim that their product has so and so issues - We have to do it for them.

Quote:
Just look around, numbers on road will tell you the story.

Where my friend, Has the Chennai heat made them invincible to me

There are many who are braving the summers and using THAR as a daily run about leaving thier plush cars aside. They know THAR is spartan. But some thing pulls them to headout in a THAR to work than thier trusted super comfy cars!! Now thats passion and addiction which I am happy many owners are expressing. Just check out the pics on Mahindra THAR facebook community, all of them tell a story.
This statement takes the cake buddy!! I will PM you for further details!

Quote:
Owners of the vehicles are in touch with me and Dhabar and they know the time frame when they are getting their A/C fitted.
Should it not be the other way around - You should be in touch with these customers and guide them in totality sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review -
@ Janjua: Great report - But can you be a little more elaborate on:

1. The braking above 120 kph.
2. The lane change above 120 kph.
3. Your first 3 service bills! i.e amounts paid if its not inconvenient!
4. How the steering feels during offroad excursions

Asking one to drive a THAR for more than 5K kms is really not hitting the nail. Does everyone who wants to buy a prospective vehicle drive it extensively before buying it?

Come on

Last edited by headers : 9th May 2011 at 07:46.
Old 9th May 2011, 09:58   #1623
Senior - BHPian

I thought that revealing the figures of each Thar variant sold in India and Abroad separately, would bolster the M&M image - Thar is selling. Hiding behind the cloak of secrecy is counter productive, it only encourages the speculation that figures are not divulged due to dismal numbers.

As such from what the response is, at least on this forum, Thar is good if the climate is pleasant and you have safe parking at each end of your journey. After all who ever heard of an enclosed Jeep in a coffee Estate or a Tea Garden. But for us mortals who will have to park it in Public Places, a soft top is an invitation to trouble. Even if nothing is stolen, the very fact that the canvas was ripped will be costly enough. Reminds me of the time when a thief tried to steal the Stereo from our Baleno, he could not but still broke the side window glass, which we had to pay for.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:32   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The fact that so much is written about the Thar everyday in this thread is proof enough that the Thar is one vehicle on Team-BHP that simply refuses to fade away

. Anybody who has driven the Thar as much as I have (till date) will not think otherwise.......
'Arre bhai log, Thar ko chalaa ke to dekho', .........

I use it as my primary vehicle even now (plan to do it all through the summers). I enjoy driving the Thar so much that the summer heat is not an issue for me at all. Seriously. Even my kids. They would rather ride in the Thar than any other vehicle in the family.

Mahindra Thar is not just a 4x4 'Jeep'. It is an EXPERIENCE that has to be savoured. Superb motor combined with a fantastic ride quality makes it a winner all the way. Many would argue with me regarding this. My advice to them, drive it to believe it.

Mahindra Thar is a winner. ...... I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE.

I have been in touch with almost all the Thar owners till date. On this forum and also on Facebook. None of the owners have till date have had one negative thing to say about the Thar. Does that mean anything?

My humble submission is that I know most of the BHPians are angry because their inputs have not seen the light of the day in the Thar that finally rolled out of M&M. I agree. There are some issues, but are these issues so immense that the whole product is sweeped into the dustbin? I stronly disagree.

I am sure it will improve as time goes by and certainly in the near future satisfy all the shortcomings. ....... [u]Till then let us preserve some semblance and enjoy the Thar for what it is and not crib for what it could have been (repeat).

Thanks a ton for posting your views and experience!! This was precisely the other ground reality i was speaking about. Wishing you many more miles of happiness!!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th May 2011 at 11:23. Reason: fixed quotes for better readability
vinod_nookala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 10:33   #1625
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Cars coming off the assembly line usually head out to the dealer quickly to be sold to end users. Visit a M&M dealer and check how many Thar's supplied to them are lying in the yard gathering dust? I reckon none. Offer to buy a Thar (the current non a/c version) and ask for immediate delivery and the response usually is that you need to book and wait. Ask to see Thar's in different colours so that you can choose one after seeing it and you will be told that whatever comes is being delivered to customers and that showing all the colours would be near impossible.

What this situation clearly demonstrates, and I reckon this is the story at most dealerships around India, is that M&M are producing a small number of Thar's and they are getting lapped up the moment they head out to the dealerships.

So what will the numbers tell you? Small qty of Thar's released for sale and all sold. On a conservative estimate even if M&M were to double or even triple the output of Thars for local release they will get sold. So what are the numbers going to mean to some of you? Proof that the Thar is a dud? You guys want to sit back and say "See we told you so, that you didn't listen to us and incorporate our wishlist and now the Thar has bombed at the sales chart" !!

I am afraid all of you nay sayers will eat humble pie. Not only were your wishlists disconnected from reality but the MDI shows that the real dud was your concept of what the Thar should be. A Thar made as per your wish list would simply have stayed put in the mfg's yard gathering dust.

The IFS suspension and ultra responsive CRDi engine (with all its electronics which will get buggered when you take the Thar for a swim in an OTR) are the REAL reasons why the car will sell well and find buyers. People are buying the Thar and will continue to buy in larger numbers as more and more people experience the driving pleasure of a Thar unlike that experienced on any other offroader. Its the most fun, comfortable, sporty offroader money can buy today. And its a very capable offroader too lest some of you believe its a dud offroad.

So please don't worry too much about sales charts. The car will sell and it is selling. They simply aren't releasing enough for local sale. I am pretty sure the quality issues that have been highlighted here will be addressed and in future iterations you will see a much nicer finished vehicle. Who knows, encouraged by the sales performance, senior mgt may just commision a new dash tailor made for the Thar.

A Scorpio 4x4 is Rs 13.5 lacs ! So Thar with a/c and HT even at 8.25 lacs will be a great buy (currently its 7.11 onroad in Hyd)

Last edited by DKG : 9th May 2011 at 10:44.
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 11:00   #1626
BHPian

^^ To add on to DKG, the Thar is yet to be released in quite a few markets like Chennai. The reason could be the lack of AC or could be the demand from the existing cities exceeding supply. Either way, releasing it to newer markets is going to increase demand even more. All said, it looks like it is selling more than what M&M had planned for it.
Releasing numbers at this point might again be misleading. If M&M expected a sales of 500 and sales were 750, would we call it a success or a failure because it did not reach the 1000 mark?
Old 9th May 2011, 11:31   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Refer ^^ post 1625 and 1626. Let me play the devils advocate here.

One can also create artificial demand by not producing enough to cater to the requirements, so let us not assume that the vehicle in question is AWESOME.

The customers money [advance booking] is used by the dealership to leverage its operations, hence no TD, no colors etc etc.

If the dealerships are strong financially [or have a good review about the product in question] they would hold stock of the vehicle in question and release it to the potential market.

@ Safedrive: LOL buddy, the THAR is not released in Chennai because it is not fit yet to withstand the Chennai roads, traffic, temperature, and the offroad community here.

Infact I know 4 guys who are waiting to buy the THAR here.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:47   #1628
Senior - BHPian

A lot of us are NOT disappointed with the THAR, for not having delivered the complete WISHLIST!

Most, if I may say so, are disappointed, that the THAR does not have a good Fit and Finish, bad quality control, and comes without even the basic creature comforts, for the price they are asking for!
Old 9th May 2011, 11:52   #1629
BHPian

i see at least one new THAR at Sireesh Auto Bangalore ready for delivery every/other week. Note sure how many the other dealers are delivering. In the last 2 weeks, 2 more of my friends have bought a machine each. we are total of 5 friends with THAR CDRe each now and one more is expecting his machine in June.

AND none of us bought it because it was selling well.

net net, its selling in small numbers as indicated by DKG and owners certainly are not negative in their experience, than those who wish to own it but have not bought one yet.

i use mine as a daily commute vehicle and have not had any urge to go back to my Scorpio or Honda City for the comfort they offer. the feeling is different in a THAR. in fact i miss the THAR at times when i drive the other 2!
Old 9th May 2011, 12:18   #1630
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The Thar release in India almost didn't happen !! Not many (I would go to the extent of saying no one !!) in senior staff were willing to fire the gun from their shoulder. I do believe it took Anand Mahindra's personal conviction that this car was an iconic representation of Mahindra's 4x4 legacy that finally saw to its release.

This is primarily because no one was willing to take a huge gamble on the product. In view of the 4x4 market still being nascent the likelihood of a failure was high.

Now that the product is out and is reasonably well received I am sure many in senior mgt at Mahindra will look at the product with renewed insterest and we'll see impprovements taking place a lot quicker than one would usually expect.

I am happy the product is finally out. Given the market demand, M&M will I am sure come out with a factory a/c option soon. When they do I will treat myself to a Thar
Old 9th May 2011, 12:40   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I am happy the product is finally out. Given the market demand, M&M will I am sure come out with a factory a/c option soon. When they do I will treat myself to a Thar
+10 to that DKG:

I'm waiting for HT, Climate control and ABS [if it weighs over 1500 kgs]

PS: All the above are available in their parts bin in some form or the other!!
Old 9th May 2011, 12:58   #1632
BHPian

Quote:

The fact that so much is written about the Thar everyday in this thread is proof enough that the Thar is one vehicle on Team-BHP that simply refuses to fade away
=======================
I am sure it will improve as time goes by and certainly in the near future satisfy all the shortcomings. But, till then owners like me will enjoy the Thar for what it is and it is blissful. As things improve, the current owners might opt for the innovations. Till then let us preserve some semblance and enjoy the Thar for what it is and not crib for what it could have been (repeat).
As a Thar owner who has experienced it I totally agree to what you say.

Others - Experience Thar for a week if you get a chance. 4500 kms and I love this vehicle. I am using this as my primary ride in BLR and did a run to Chennai and Coorg as well. My Civic is now envious of the attention Thar is getting these days.

I thought my initial lust on this Jeep will fade away, but it is 3 months and is only growing more. My Thar got her ICE and other creature comforts this weekend and man I love it even more.

My 3 year old daughter does not want to step into the other car. She wants that to be Sold. Thar it is always. And her bonding with me has grown leaps and bounds since the Jeep came into the family. Value. Priceless. Personally, I have got more RoI than I ever expected.

Other Thar owners, I got 3M CR series fitted in my Thar and it is just amazing to see that the cabin does not get heated at all. Windows raised and fans on, It no longer sweats even in the afternoons. A/C or no A/C give it a shot. I went for CR70 for front and CR40 for the sides.

Have not been able to find time to post the ownership thread yet. Dealer fitted A/C and first service due this week. will post it after that.

Disclaimer : I am not associated with M&M in any way and neither am I a Mahindra fanboy. Just making my point that it is not that bad a Jeep as it is made out to be in this thread.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th May 2011 at 16:54. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts. Thanks
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 13:13   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't contribute anything to the technical discussions, but just wanted to say that I visit forums like Team BHP precisely FOR the negative reviews of a product. With any new vehicle, there will be more than enough information highlighting the positives and good things. It's called advertising, and well, we know how truthful that is most of the time.

What I want to know as a potential buyer, is what are the bad things that I need to watch out for before/after putting down 7-8 lakhs of my hard-earned money, and are the issues minor enough to ignore or major enough to change my mind about a vehicle. So a big thank you AWD and the others who are being critical.

(Also, sorry, but have to say that a company rep trying to negate a critical review is not really a good thing, IMHO.)
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 13:20   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Its the most fun, comfortable, sporty offroader money can buy today. And its a very capable offroader too lest some of you believe its a dud offroad.
Hi DKG,

Two Years ago this statement would have been considered, blasphemy, reeking of inexperience, lack of a better choice, even petty jealousies.

So if a MM550 gets a CRDe engine and IFS, it becomes "most" everything 4wd?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...odern-4wd.html

Regards,

Arka
Old 9th May 2011, 13:25   #1635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post

My 3 year old daughter does not want to step into the other car. She wants that to be Sold. Thar it is always. And her bonding with me has grown leaps and bounds since the Jeep came into the family. Value. Priceless. Personally, I have got more RoI than I ever expected.

Since the rear has the side benches, do you use the kids car seat in the front seat?

Most Viewed