Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 04:40   #1906
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Heard from the grape vine that Thar V2 is going to be launched in Feb 12. Factory-fitted air-con with a multi-link coil-spring rear suspension a.k.a. Scorpio..drool
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Also heard hard top is going to be offered as well !!!!

any further updates on possible launch date for V2, or is it going to be another long strung out wait like the original Thar
Old 20th December 2011, 19:32   #1907
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Rumors about air-con has been doing the rounds for a while, but this is the first time, I heard anything about coil spring rear. I doubht they would do it, but it would be awsome if they did....
Old 20th December 2011, 20:10   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Why not coil springs Tini? Also don't you think the Thar is a bit under powered? What about HT then? Nah !!!

There is plenty to come.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 20th December 2011 at 20:11.
Old 20th December 2011, 21:49   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Why not coil springs Tini? Also don't you think the Thar is a bit under powered? What about HT then? Nah !!!

There is plenty to come.

Spike

You too Spike, You too..Or Am i dreaming

Instead of wasting time testing suspension mods to make it do 140, its better to focus on the core utility values, the vehicle offers and make it better.

Remember, its the BOLERO with its basic DI Turbo engine, Leaf spring rear suspension that is bringing M&M the reserves to pump into unwanted style statements, {rear coil suspension?} which is marketed as a life style vehicle!

A Jeep is not designed to do 140 kph without safety aids [read ABS, EBD, Dual Airbags minimum]
Old 20th December 2011, 22:08   #1910
BHPian

Speed is not much of an issue at all as doing 130-140kmph per the speedo is not at all difficult. Braking is a big concern. This needs to be addressed NOW.
Old 20th December 2011, 23:44   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A Jeep is not designed to do 140 kph without safety aids [read ABS, EBD, Dual Airbags minimum]
Who said all this cannot be done? Have you seen a Bolero with all these features? Well I have.

It is only a matter of time and the zest to do things, rest everything will take a backseat then.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 06:45   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Who said all this cannot be done? Have you seen a Bolero with all these features? Well I have.

It is only a matter of time and the zest to do things, rest everything will take a backseat then.

Spike
AFAIK - I HAVE Driven the Bolero Storm @ 140 kph for quite some time and distance to judge that it is useless at high speeds and handling. Brakes are a complete no no and GOD save anybody if they ought to overtake a group of slow moving vehicles in the wrong lane!

I do like the effort taken by M&M in the zest etc, but guess they are pushing the wrong buttons!

For instance, Just look at the THAR - A jeep with a lot of potential, but no factory HT, AC, CL, inadequate setups, LOT of body panel gaps, old M800 type switches [read cheapest in the market], A GB that is far from SLICK and they charge the price that makes one think that they are getting something special.

Guess the Indian market is not as demanding or the competition is weak!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 11:00   #1913
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - The date is 21 December. The time is 1100 hrs. Thar domestic was launched on 21 December at 1100 hrs last year. Thar is exactly one year old!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THAR! .
ALL THE BEST TO THAR TEAM. ALL THE BEST TO M&M. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 12:31   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Every parent wishes that their child excels in life. On a similar note, I can see DB Sir's excitement and message in the previous post, that says it all. Every trial and tribulation was worth it! Way to go..

Happy Birthday Thar!

Spike

PS- It was your vision, otherwise Thar would have been saved as a PPT file somewhere.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:39   #1915
Team-BHP Support

Congratz but its been a year now but no signs of an company fitted AC or a hardtop.
Old 21st December 2011, 14:30   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Wishing every Thar/ Mahindra 4wd owner many happy returns of the THAR DAY!!

Jaggu- We are meeting in Royal escape. WIll let you know the plans. We are working on all the major feedback and owners will see the change.
Old 21st December 2011, 20:18   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Thar CRDE,,, the name that evoked numerous emotions and responses before anyone could lay their eyes on it.

The wishlist, excitement, expectations, price, apprehensions, criticism followed by countless tags. It was an interesting journey....and it became more than interesting for me personally when I test drove it at the Nasik plant back in April 2009, more than one and a half years before its launch. (related link below).

The first 15 minutes with this Jeep and I was sure that it was destined to be a winner, far beyond expectations of the R&D guys involved and manufacturer...for this was a 'New Generation Jeep' at an affordable price and the predicted demand fueled by the urbane youth who wanted freedom, an outdoor vehicle, newbie off roaders...were only growing in numbers.

revealed to the off roading community (AKC 2010) of what is to unfold from Mahindra.

Even today other manufacturers are working to build a competitor to the Thar, after realizing its potential in filling up the two decade '4X4 vacuum'.

2000+
and still selling in the first year itself.

I picked up the first Thar in A.P. much before the bookings had opened, did some good off roading in it with the right tyres and it is just amazing. Did 150kmph to test its on road stability, again awesome.

Mahindra urgently needs to look into the market needs like the AC, Hard top and better fit and finish...minus the involvement of Mahindra Customization Dept.

I would like to congratulate the men behind the Thar on its 1st birthday, namely Mr. Behram Dhabar aka 'Father of the Thar' and his core R&D team and Mr. Vinod Nookala the brain behind marketing it.

Regards,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...erience-5.html
Old 21st December 2011, 21:07   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz but its been a year now but no signs of an company fitted AC or a hardtop.
Jaggu, you can expect some good things in the upcoming Delhi Auto Expo, I am not sure what the dates are.

See this link- Mahindra at the 2012 Delhi Auto Expo Page - 3| Zigwheels.com

Spike
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:27   #1919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Thar CRDE - 521 revealed to the off roading community (AKC 2010) of what is to unfold from Mahindra. 2000+ and still selling in the first year itself. I would like to congratulate the men behind the Thar on its 1st birthday, namely Mr. Behram Dhabar aka 'Father of the Thar' and his core R&D team and Mr. Vinod Nookala the brain behind marketing it. Regards,
Dear Fazal - thank you for your gracious comments. As always, whatever happens, happens due to team effort. There is no individual, only team. All credit goes to the joint efforts of APS Rao, Pratheesh Raveendran (Spike Arrestor), Indranil Paul, Padmesh Sewda, Vijay Waghmare, Amol Wagh, Kapil Dubey, Nilesh Sonawane and Vinod Nookala. We believed in what we envisaged, conceptualized, designed, prototyped, developed, validated, branded, bonded with customers, "viral" marketed, sold, serviced and as a result delighted our customers. We believe we have achieved a very high level of "customer-centricity" by successfully executing this project to its logical conclusion. The management of M&M believed in the team's effort and we thank them for their guidance and encouragement.

However, this post would be incomplete without naming that one thorough gentleman, OUR MENTOR, COACH, GUIDE and also OUR TOP BOSS, Dr.Pawan Goenka who always provided us the strength to go on through everything that we faced during the project progress phase.

"Pawan Sir, we thank you and we salute you for everything that you did for Thar". .

"MH01V521" - yes, this is the Thar vehicle "EP5". EP means engineering prototype, number 5 (out of 6), that really raised the bar and showed the 4 wheel drive scene in India what it is like to be able to reach an OTR @ 140 kmph, cruise through all the obstacles in the OTR and then go happily home @ 140 kmph, something which no other comparable production vehicle had achieved in India before. As a memory reminder, I am attaching a photograph of MH01V521, which was taken on the 12th of May 2010 in Hyderabad, when we had demonstrated its OTR capability to Deepak and you, a month before we conquered the AKC / EXAMM in Lonavla / Karjat. I'll never forget the work which we did on MH01V521, which raised the performance level to the extent that we achieved success in AKC / EXAMM. The photograph shows the vehicle in this dress level.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-t15.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 22nd December 2011 at 12:29. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:26   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I'll never forget the work which we did on MH01V521, which raised the performance level to the extent that we achieved success in AKC / EXAMM. The photograph shows the vehicle in this dress level.
Yes Sir, so will I. (Only we know )

I remember even 2 hours before leaving Nasik we were testing in the track with greased hands, clothes etc. Although engulfed in soot and smoke, we pulled off everything in the end. Cheers!

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks