Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 10:43   #2161
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
On a differrent note, I was told that the FE is about 11KMPL in city and with the MTs on it could dip to 9 or 10 KMPL. This is interesting because I had read somewhere that as per the ARAI (under test conditions) Thar's FE was at 18KMPL. Going a little off topic but I wonder what really is the sanctity of ARAI rating then?
From my experience of about 22000 clicks in the Thar CRDe, I have never seen FE go above 12.5.

Very light driving on the highway with coasting where safe (Stock tyres) - 12.5kms

Very light driving in the city (Stock tyres) - 10.5 kms

Moderate driving techniques in the City - 9.8 kms

With A/C - Reduce 1 kmpl

I have not seen the mileage drop or increase after upgrading to Yoko A/T as well.

I have also driven Thar with Racechip with no changes to the fuel efficiency.

I seriously doubt the ARAI claims of 18kmpl. Is there a link to that claim?

P.S- All my fuel consumption calculations are tank to tank method.
BlackRaven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 16:15   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
From my experience of about 22000 clicks in the Thar CRDe, I have never seen FE go above 12.5.

Very light driving on the highway with coasting where safe (Stock tyres) - 12.5kms

Very light driving in the city (Stock tyres) - 10.5 kms

Moderate driving techniques in the City - 9.8 kms

With A/C - Reduce 1 kmpl

I have not seen the mileage drop or increase after upgrading to Yoko A/T as well.

I have also driven Thar with Racechip with no changes to the fuel efficiency.

I seriously doubt the ARAI claims of 18kmpl. Is there a link to that claim?

P.S- All my fuel consumption calculations are tank to tank method.
Those are useful data on FE Raven. Had read the ARAI bit on gaadi.com and on various other websites.

One question Raven, am being pulled apart on the decision to whether to buy a Thar. The heart says to go for it, but the upper faculty says its really not practical for a city drive, security, interiors etc. I have gone through the reviews and still not clear whether Thar can be my primary vehicle. Say can I go to the grocery store with a Thar! or do the occasional drive along the highway from Mumbai to Pune or Goa or all the way to ladakh (with the same speed and ease as my current vehicle which is a Xylo)! These questions are tearing me apart! Guess I am getting melodramatic but the confusion is real.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:30   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
Thanks for the pics. Did you by any chance check if the rims were standard size or different?
Those are 15 inch rims and 31 inch MT.

@ urban_legend @ BlackRaven , even I' m wondering about the veracity of those figures "18 and 16 KMPL " ,all of the forum guys are getting 10-12 except one who claimed that he got around 15.( I serously doubt his method of calculation )
Even overdrive and Autocar claims around 16 KMPL and IIRC ARAI figures are 18, which is quite misleading .
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 17:33   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
This is interesting because I had read somewhere that as per the ARAI (under test conditions) Thar's FE was at 18KMPL. Going a little off topic but I wonder what really is the sanctity of ARAI rating then?
I do not have any idea about ARAI stuff. But this 18KMPL is for DI engine right? Are they claiming the same for CRDe too? I do not think so. Because in the Thar official website, the below line given specifically under the DI variant's features.

"Thar is the most fuel efficient UV on the Indian Roads. The ARAI approved Mileage being 18.06 KM/l "

And I am not seeing the same under CRDe's features.

Thanks,
Novice29
Old 31st May 2012, 17:48   #2165
BHPian

Thanks @slalom.

I am managing to get around 10 kmpl in city and around 12 on highway. Method is full to empty tank. Unless I drive just around 60-70kph don't see any way of improving this. 18kph would have had ton of people buying this vehicle, mileage+utility;-).
Old 31st May 2012, 21:59   #2166
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - guys, sorry for no posts from me from 23 April onwards. I was (and I still am, till my doctor says so) on medical leave, including no access to my laptop till yesterday. Things are fine now, doctor is happy with the progress. I have opened the laptop today only.

Fuel Efficiency - how can you get 18 kmpl in a car which develops 105 bhp / 25.5 kgm and which weighs 1665 kg in unladen condition? Scorpio kmpl + something (due to slightly redeuced weight) is realistic and that's what you need to expect. After all, it is a Scorpio in disguise, isn't it? Simple! .

Brakes - Thar CRDe brakes are derived out of old Scorpio / Bolero VLX (with NEF engine) brakes. All parts required to upgrade are in existence. The interchangeability of parts needs to be as follows. This information is indicative and the below table indicates fiend fix only.

1 - RDS (Release Delete Schedule)

2 - Remove Old Parts

3 - Add New Parts

4 - Remarks

1 - Booster and Master Cylinder
2 - 10” single stage booster as in production Thar CRDe, derived out of Scorpio M2DI
3 - Tandem booster with master cylinder, same as Bolero VLX
4 - Mounting dimensions match exactly including push rod length. Brake pedal does not require any change. Bundy pipes and vacuum hose may need minor repositioning due to extra dimension in longitudinal axis but no change in design length for field fix.

1 - Stub axle assembly RH and LH
2 - Production Thar CRDe, derived out of post May 2003 but pre-2005 Scorpio 4WD non-CRDe base model (steering gear was moved towards the front in Scorpio in 2003. Suspension was reinforced by adding a cross member.
3 - Post 2005 production Scorpio CRDe 4WD with NEF engine and 16” tires, with Bosch Chassis Systems suitability of Brake Assembly without ABS.
4 - Upper and lower ball joint location is interchangeable. Caster is common for 2WD / 4WD (2 degrees 45 minutes nominal).

1 - Brake disc and hub assembly RH and LH
2 - Production Thar CRDe, derived out of post May 2003 but pre-2005 Scorpio 4WD non-CRDe base model
3 - Post 2005 production Scorpio CRDe 4WD with NEF engine and 16” tires, with Bosch Chassis Systems Brake without ABS.
4 - Mounting is exactly same as Scorpio 4WD.

1 - Caliper assembly RH and LH
2 - Single pot caliper, production Thar CRDe, derived out of pre-2005 Scorpio 4WD non-CRDe base model.
3 - Twin pot caliper, post 2005 production Scorpio CRDe 4WD with NEF engine and 16” tires, with Bosch Chassis Systems Brake without ABS.
4 - Mounting is exactly same as Scorpio 4WD.

1 - Steel wheel and tire assembly.
4 - No change required but only 16” and above size can be used. 15" wheel cannot be used with twin pot caliper installation. No deviation on inset. Production value is +55 mm.

Minor deviation on LSPV setting may or may not be required, to be conducted on case to case basis. Add brake fluid quantity as necessary for twin pot calipers.

You need to be careful at dealerships on part numbers. There will be numerous part numbers of same looking parts (e.g. with and without ABS, BI v/s Bosch etc). Please obtain all correct parts, please cross check in the relevant parts catalogues before dismantling the vehicle. If in doubt, ask.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 31st May 2012 at 22:05. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 23:43   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I was (and I still am, till my doctor says so) on medical leave, including no access to my laptop till yesterday. Things are fine now, doctor is happy with the progress.
Oh dear! Get well soon BD! Our best wishes with you.
Quote:
Brakes - Thar CRDe brakes are derived out of old Scorpio / Bolero VLX (with NEF engine) brakes. All parts required to upgrade are in existence. The interchangeability of parts needs to be as follows.
Thank you very much for providing us with such detailed information.

: Did you guys also realize that somebody is sittin up and taking notice. A fully revamped Gypsy website up and running Maruti Gypsy

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 1st June 2012, 00:13   #2168
naj
BHPian

Hi !!

FYI ,One of my friends has approached DC for hard top , Dash change and Fitment of Aircon.

He has received the following quotes for exterior, Interior and Aircon jobs-

A) Exterior-
New Body surface with choice of color.
Chrome elements for Doors.
LED tail lamps and Bi-Xenon Head lamps.
Targa Top.

Cost for above- 6 lacs.

B)Interior-
New dash Board , New Door pads, Rear water proof open air seating for 4 passengers.
Powered Glass partition between front and rear Seating areas.
New Re up-holstered Vinyl seats with color choice.

Cost for above- 2 lacs

c)Others
16" alloy wheels- Cost 85K
Ducted Air con - Cost 58K

Terms and Conditions- New Mahindra Thar, 80% of the estimated cost to be given upfront,20 % at the time of delivery.
Mode of payment DD,Delivery - 60 days after receipt of advance and vehicle
Taxes as applicable

Cheers,

Last edited by naj : 1st June 2012 at 00:24.
naj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 11:10   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi !!

FYI ,One of my friends has approached DC for hard top , Dash change and Fitment of Aircon.

A) Exterior-

B)Interior-

c)Others

Cheers,
Any supporting pictures??
Old 1st June 2012, 12:07   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Hi !!

A) Exterior-
New Body surface with choice of color.
Chrome elements for Doors.
LED tail lamps and Bi-Xenon Head lamps.
Targa Top.

Cost for above- 6 lacs.

B)Interior-
New dash Board , New Door pads, Rear water proof open air seating for 4 passengers.
Powered Glass partition between front and rear Seating areas.
New Re up-holstered Vinyl seats with color choice.

Cost for above- 2 lacs

c)Others
16" alloy wheels- Cost 85K
Ducted Air con - Cost 58K

Terms and Conditions- New Mahindra Thar, 80% of the estimated cost to be given upfront,20 % at the time of delivery.
Mode of payment DD,Delivery - 60 days after receipt of advance and vehicle
Taxes as applicable

Cheers,
Thanks Naj for the details. Now the Air con job would not be required, since the Thar has been launched with a built in Air Con its called the "Cool Thar"!

I have seen their exterior do-up, let me tell you it is really pathetic, to say the least. It was shown in the Autp Expo at Delhi. I was shocked. They have completely smashed the Thar and made into something which i cant find words to describe. The front itself felt all bulged out and was completely out of sync. I just could not fathom the thought that it was a Thar. Why would anyone give a brand new Thar for this makeover, I know its a personal choice. But WHY?!

Also, its interesting that they only revamp the Thar CRDE and not the DI, atleast thats what their website mentions. I would personally not handover my vehicle for the exterior fittings to DC.

On the interiors, Thar definitelty needs more than a little revamp. Not seen the detailed interior do-ups by DC upfront. But the interiors look much better than the existing ones. I might give it a shot, provided ofcourse they keep their hands of the exteriors!

Naj: Would DC do the interiors on a standalone basis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Any supporting pictures??
This is a you tube link

Last edited by urban_legend : 1st June 2012 at 12:15.
Old 1st June 2012, 12:13   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Did you guys also realize that somebody is sittin up and taking notice. A fully revamped Gypsy website up and running Maruti Gypsy

Cheers,
Deepak
Had to wait for the website to open, it did open eventually. Yes they have redesigned the website. The legend has taken notice of Thar! But then they are still shy on disclosing the pricing, could not find the price list on the website.

Last edited by urban_legend : 1st June 2012 at 12:16.
Old 1st June 2012, 12:22   #2172
Senior - BHPian

The specsheet of the Gypsy says "Disclaimer-less igination" for distributorless ignition!

Do we have a hydraulic clutch in the cooling fan?
Old 1st June 2012, 14:49   #2173
naj
BHPian

Quote:

I have seen their exterior do-up, let me tell you it is really pathetic, to say the least. It was shown in the Autp Expo at Delhi. I was shocked. They have completely smashed the Thar and made into something which i cant find words to describe. The front itself felt all bulged out and was completely out of sync. I just could not fathom the thought that it was a Thar. Why would anyone give a brand new Thar for this makeover, I know its a personal choice. But WHY?!

I might give it a shot, provided ofcourse they keep their hands of the exteriors!

Naj: Would DC do the interiors on a standalone basis?
+1 ,the exterior do-up has relieved the THAR for what it stands for. On seeing the exterior body work ,it was like "OMG, whats this !!" But What may fit the bill is the purposeful dash and a good hard top.
I think they will .Hence the split up in quotes. My friend is precisely going to ask the same.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_74782-edit1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_7527.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_7728.jpg  

Last edited by naj : 1st June 2012 at 15:00.
naj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 15:30   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
+1 ,the exterior do-up has relieved the THAR for what it stands for. On seeing the exterior body work ,it was like "OMG, whats this !!" But What may fit the bill is the purposeful dash and a good hard top.
I think they will .Hence the split up in quotes. My friend is precisely going to ask the same.

Cheers!
Thanks Naj. In the picture, I can see they have also installed a HD/LCD screen. Is that part of the 2 lakh package? Your list did not mention it. Do let us know what the feedback is from the DC guys (on the interior job)
Old 1st June 2012, 17:12   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Do we have a hydraulic clutch in the cooling fan?
Yes its a viscous coupling fan mentioned in beautiful ENGLISH

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks