Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 19:06   #2236
BHPian

Any inputs on Continental ContiCrossContact A/T OWL 106S tyre? I liked the looks on it, no idea of performance at all though. Kindly share any inputs you may have. Thanks.
Old 24th July 2012, 22:17   #2237
AVR
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Why not go for Yokohama Geolander G012 A/T tyres?
Good tyres - I have them on my Tucson for a year now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishnanm View Post
Thanks anandpadhye.

I think this is the way to go. Saw them on a Thar in Whitefield, Bangalore the other day. Couldnt find the owner to chat up. But the tyres looked good.

There is some talk in the forum of a weak side wall. I guess thats a worry for hard-core off-roaders.

Me, Im happy to be stuck in the mud in some jungle road in Kerala and I guess Yokos should be good for that.
The Geolandar A/T that Anand is referring to is different in terms of tread design compared to the Geolandar A/T tread available for Thar. The ones on your Tucson are less-aggressive.

If you are doing soft-trails and not extreme off-roading, the Geolandar A/T S available for the Thar will suffice.

Cheers,
Adi

Edit: Anand could have the same tread. Actually I have different Geolandar A/T treads on the tyres I have on my Tucson so got confused. Apologies.

Last edited by AVR : 24th July 2012 at 22:22.
Old 24th July 2012, 22:42   #2238
Senior - BHPian

A few days back, I had been to a Mahindra dealer here in Bangalore to check out the Thar. I also checked out the new Xylo which was also on display. One thing that I noticed was that the Xylo had A/T tyres as OEM while the Thar has H/T.

I'm not sure what logic Mahindra had in mind when selecting the tyres for its models. A vehicle which is rarely taken off road is shod with A/T tyres while a vehicle which is supposed to be off road (Remember the 'Thar hates Tar' campaign) is shod with H/T??
Old 25th July 2012, 06:54   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
Any inputs on Continental ContiCrossContact A/T OWL 106S tyre? I liked the looks on it, no idea of performance at all though. Kindly share any inputs you may have. Thanks.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-one-down.html

@addyhemmige ,I have been wondering about the At tyres on the Xylo and not on the Thar and it seems it has something to do with the infamous "CMVR" , might be we have to push Mahindra to do do something about this.
slalom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 14:05   #2240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
The Geolandar A/T that Anand is referring to is different in terms of tread design compared to the Geolandar A/T tread available for Thar. The ones on your Tucson are less-aggressive.
Edit: Anand could have the same tread. Actually I have different Geolandar A/T treads on the tyres I have on my Tucson so got confused. Apologies.
I am not sure how many tread patterns are available in Geolander A/T. Mine are G012. What's the code on yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
the Xylo had A/T tyres as OEM while the Thar has H/T.
Ha ha...I can't stop laughing. You (or rather M&M) made my day.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 14:19   #2241
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
One thing that I noticed was that the Xylo had A/T tyres as OEM while the Thar has H/T.

I'm not sure what logic Mahindra had in mind when selecting the tyres for its models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post

@addyhemmige ,I have been wondering about the At tyres on the Xylo and not on the Thar and it seems it has something to do with the infamous "CMVR"
This was brought up earlier by me and I did receive a response of sorts on Page 127 of this thread. Quoting my older post in that context

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Mr. Behram,

While I don't know much about CMVR and its technicalities, my question was not about offroad tyres. If I understand you correctly, it seems the Xylo has better emissions and CMVR compatibility with 'All-Terrain' tyres than a Thar. And money was actually spent on finding the compatibility of the Xylo with A/T tyres. AND hence (not necessarily) no money could be spent on additional development doing the same for the Thar as the volumes wouldn't justify that? Wow! Am amazed at how things work/are explained!

Agreeing with wildchild's post above, I feel the above reasoning that you have given works fine for internal memos and meetings at MM. As an outsider and possibly a customer someday, I have no reason to care what the manufacturer's constraints are especially when prices are in the range of 7L+.

Regards,
Aditya
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am not sure how many tread patterns are available in Geolander A/T. Mine are G012. What's the code on yours?
G012 is similar to the ones on my Safari and for the Thar. The Geolandars on the Tucson are different looking. Will check when its back in town and revert.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 13:31   #2242
BHPian

Hey Guys!

Anything to be aware of while installing Audio system in the Thar? I'm looking for just front and rear speakers with a normal panel (don't want anything fancy to keep thugs away). I didn't see any wiring, so I'm assuming that will be a part of the installation.
Old 6th August 2012, 10:16   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
A few days back, I had been to a Mahindra dealer here in Bangalore to check out the Thar. I also checked out the new Xylo which was also on display. One thing that I noticed was that the Xylo had A/T tyres as OEM while the Thar has H/T.

I'm not sure what logic Mahindra had in mind when selecting the tyres for its models. A vehicle which is rarely taken off road is shod with A/T tyres while a vehicle which is supposed to be off road (Remember the 'Thar hates Tar' campaign) is shod with H/T??
HT tires are better for soft sand than AT tires that tend to dig in..Arguably AT tires give more flotation but i'd still prefer driving with HT's in the sands. Plus AT are more noisy on road when driving and don't have better driving dynamics. The XYLO on the other hand is an MUV a long chassis that can swallow all the shortcomings of the Thar.

For the record.. even Wranglers are sold with HT tires OEM..and that too Goodyear tires.. also opens up the after market segment for guys who want to invest in better rubber. even the guys at M&M know that a Tar owner like the jeepers are never satisfied with tires... its a Thar thing !!
Old 7th August 2012, 14:32   #2244
BHPian

After months of quiet deliberation, careful thought, much reading, reckless dreaming and completely confusing the wife with my ridiculous Thar vs. BMW X1 comparisons, (Yes, I know that sounds dastardly. Long story and I sure hope the wife does not read this); I am finally getting my THAR delieverd in hopefully the next 7-9 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Harikrishnanm - thank you so much for defining the latent desire of why you want to buy Thar as an actual customer. It is "that something" that you see in this product that you don't see anywhere else. Go ahead and do what you love to do, don't do anything else!

Imagine that you are driving in the city. You pass a lot of cars / SUVs / MUVs going the other way, you don't even notice, and then you see a Thar or an MM540 or a CL340 zip by. Does your head not turn? Yes, it does! Don't you smile to yourself? Yes, you do. I also do. That's the power of that timeless shape, the Jeep.
When Products become Brands, that is the highest form of "Customer-Centricity" that can be attained. People spend huge amounts in building brands, most of them fall by the wayside. Whatever I did, I tried in my own small way to enable this to happen with Thar without spending a single paisa of company money on branding. Nobody told me to do it, I did it for my passion, my belief that my product could become a brand. With your comments coming through, I believe I have succeeded, irrespective of the periodic brickbats I keep on recieving, which for me is constructive critique.
Mr. Dhabhar. Thank you. I have greatly enjoyed reading every post of yours. That's passion and in many ways.

A very big thanks to all Team BHPians who have posted in here. The entire thread, related knoledge, experience, arguments and counter-arguments has immensely contributed to my buying decision.

I've settled on the colour black (for lack of patience in waiting even longer for a Rocky Beige). A half Top, standard Thar alloys, a JBL Stereo and more importantly the front & rear bumpers from the Thar expedition kit. (I wish I had the patience to fabricate and scrounge. I do not). Also fitting it out with Yokohama Geolander AT-S (standard size) from my local Yoko dealer in Navi Mumbai.

Many thanks once again. I'll post some pics as soon as the vehicle is delivered and I figure out how and where to post pics on Team BHP.

Best regards.
Old 7th August 2012, 16:27   #2245
Distinguished - BHPian

All new Mahindra Thar with immobilizer.

Last edited by dhanushs : 7th August 2012 at 16:54. Reason: Fixed video tags.
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 17:20   #2246
Senior - BHPian

^^ That was a hilarious piece - Thank you
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 20:02   #2247
BHPian

Is rocky beige colour option greenish in colour ? i wish to see all "real" pics of thar in different colours other than red and black . can anyone guide me where I can see them ?
Old 8th August 2012, 22:19   #2248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Is rocky beige colour option greenish in colour ? i wish to see all "real" pics of thar in different colours other than red and black . can anyone guide me where I can see them ?
Yup, rocky beige is a light green with a mix of ash.

Here:
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_2048.jpg

and one action pic!
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-hdr-2-ev_0-ev_1-ev_fused.jpg
Old 8th August 2012, 22:27   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yup, rocky beige is a light green with a mix of ash.

Here:
Attachment 967039

and one action pic!
Attachment 967040
It looks the same as "albert gray" colour of RE machismo LB , am i correct?
Old 9th August 2012, 09:33   #2250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
After months of quiet deliberation, careful thought, much reading, reckless dreaming and completely confusing the wife with my ridiculous Thar vs. BMW X1 comparisons, (Yes, I know that sounds dastardly. Long story and I sure hope the wife does not read this); I am finally getting my THAR delieverd in hopefully the next 7-9 days. Mr. Dhabhar. Thank you. I have greatly enjoyed reading every post of yours. That's passion and in many ways. Best regards.
Dear Suedehead - Wow! If a customer like you can compare Thar with a BMW X1 and then buy the Thar, what more can I ask for? Please PM me your contact number, I'll call you, I'll see your car and I'll guide you in totality. My personal opinion, please don't fit the half top, it is nowhere near the production canopy as far as engineering goes. It is just an accessory. Same comment goes for the other accessories too.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed