Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 12:44   #2536
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

@ desertfox , are you aware that a new improved version of the Thar is in the pipeline ? MM is revamping the interiors and to comply with BS5 requirements they are forced to plonk in new engine as well .
Old 29th March 2013, 12:52   #2537
Senior - BHPian

When will this come ? Poor fitment is an issue here. yesterday in the Demo Thar CRDe I could see a gap in between the passenger side door asterior end and the canopy. Exactly the same locations as in my MM550, so this problem can be termed as a perennial occurance for generations! My MM550 is a 13 year old relic. Its registration number from the army was 00B.

When does BS 5 come into compliance and what is the buzz on the launch of an improved THAR with a new engine ? What will it be 2.2 L mHawk ? M Eagle these are the only other options that M & M have ahead of the CRDe.
Old 29th March 2013, 13:00   #2538
BHPian

Check the below links .

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/mahind...ahindra-great-
escape-lonavla-report/#WBhfMAR46jAspxwd.99

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1134086

In the below link you can see the scoop for the relocated intercooler .

http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/...-Escape-26.JPG

Last edited by slalom : 29th March 2013 at 13:02. Reason: addition
Old 1st April 2013, 20:54   #2539
BHPian

Came across the Thar "dismantling" manual from Mahindra Italy site. Experts in this forum may find it interesting-

http://www.mahindrathar.it/Vehicle%2...%20%20Thar.pdf
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:11   #2540

Great Manual. Thanks for sharing.

Just wondering what would be the practical impact on the following while using 31inch tryes on (IFS) regular Thar other than its stunning looks!! (seems it is a standard component of Adventure version as shown by Tajes in the first page of this thread). Can anyone comment on the same.

a) Front Fenders (wont that rub them? I have seen owners of 540s and 550s perform chopping to avoid the same. I have personally damaged the front fender of my 3B using oversized tyres)
b) Any change in turning radius?
c) How well does the driving characteristics change with 31s?
d) How is the 'Adventure' piece handles the same?
e) Any finally, ofcourse the availability of 31s in the market?

Thanks.
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:13   #2541
BANNED

Hi All Uploading some more photos of my Thar and planning on some more upgrades gradually. Also my thar's seats seem to be interchanged the right is on the left and left on the right, as the backrest adjustment lever of both seats are on the inner side. Is this found on all thar's is it a one off wrong fitting on my thar!?!?!

I want some input on how the CFL have or have not helped in improving the thar's ride.So I request guys who have used the CFL's on thier rides to please share their experience with all of us. As per me the only problem with the thar is the bouncy ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-t1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-t2.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2013, 18:28   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
Hi All Uploading some more photos of my Thar and planning on some more upgrades gradually. Also my thar's seats seem to be interchanged the right is on the left and left on the right, as the backrest adjustment lever of both seats are on the inner side. Is this found on all thar's is it a one off wrong fitting on my thar!?!?!

I want some input on how the CFL have or have not helped in improving the thar's ride.So I request guys who have used the CFL's on thier rides to please share their experience with all of us. As per me the only problem with the thar is the bouncy ride.
What is the tire pressure you are using for the Thar ? At 35 psi (the MM recommended pressure) it feels very bouncy - but have found that when maintained at 33-34 the ride improves. Another owner had confirmed this.
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:01   #2543
Senior - BHPian

Did the alloy rims come in as standard OEM ?

I am wondering which colour THAR should I get.
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:59   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Did the alloy rims come in as standard OEM ?

I am wondering which colour THAR should I get.
Alloys do NOT come OEM fitted on the Thar. Color choice varies person to person. I was fond of the Rocky Beige initially but have seen them and Black to be the most common (in Chennai). Toreador red (maroon)(the one I now have) is becoming commonplace here as well. So far have seen very few in Silver or White. All look really nice the moment suitable alloys are added.
Old 5th April 2013, 18:39   #2545
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to buy black but now I am heavily tempted to buy Rocky Beige seeing what DKG has done to his Thar. Difficult choice to make. Buy two ? No just kidding will make sure a friend of mine buys the other, whichever I end up buying.

After this I will end up with an all Mahindra fleet, a Bolero SLX, Scorpio VLX 4x4 and this Thar. Anand Mahindra should shake my hands, specially so that his bank Kotak Mahindra has cheated me out of Rs. 500,000

Last edited by desertfox : 5th April 2013 at 18:41.
Old 5th April 2013, 19:45   #2546
AWD
BHPian

I have to purchase a new car this season, waiting for Eco-Sport, Amaze & New Thar. Hope we see a new Thar soon. Anybody having any clues about the vehicle ?
Old 6th April 2013, 15:29   #2547

Quote:
I wanted to buy black but now I am heavily tempted to buy Rocky Beige seeing what DKG has done to his Thar. Difficult choice to make. Buy two ? No just kidding will make sure a friend of mine buys the other, whichever I end up buying.

After this I will end up with an all Mahindra fleet, a Bolero SLX, Scorpio VLX 4x4 and this Thar. Anand Mahindra should shake my hands, specially so that his bank Kotak Mahindra has cheated me out of Rs. 500,000
Ha ha... just to set the record straight, Anand Mahindra owns only 1.9% of Kotak Mahindra bank. Uday Kotak is the man who owns that bank and is responsible for your 500,000!

Black Thar's becoming very common in Mumbai too. I liked the white Thar when I saw it in pictures, but on road it doesn't seem that impressive. Rocky Beige, it is!
Old 7th April 2013, 15:59   #2548
BANNED

I am running a pressure of 30psi
Old 8th April 2013, 13:50   #2549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Desertfox - the AC will be effective in Delhi heat, that I am sure of, so go ahead and buy. Regarding your other comment, what can I say? This smiley should say it all! .

I hope you got it! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Quote:
Dear Dhabar Ji,
When you took so much details into account while designing this THAR why have you overlooked the option of opening the front windshield while driving without AC ? If there is no airflow from the front then dust sweeps in from the back of an open jeep. A typical Gypsy problem. Switching on the air blower helps a little but not comparible.
Any option to incorporate an after market denting job and install a CJ3A type front air vent in there ? Little space provided in the windscreen frame.

COnvince me that the AC is effective in Delhi heat as well and I will buy a Thar this week itself. I am planning to sell of my MM550 ( 2000 Model )
Hi,

Its been over a year and 47k Kms with my Thar. Considering the air-conditioning, have you noticed that the driver side cooling is less compared to the front passenger seat? and the single vent on the drivers right hand is useless....... have you experienced the same ? Though i've heard this in a couple of Thar's, i'm waiting for a "quick fix"

Last edited by davidashish : 8th April 2013 at 13:53. Reason: Adding Text
Old 8th April 2013, 14:48   #2550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidashish View Post
Hi,

Its been over a year and 47k Kms with my Thar. Considering the air-conditioning, have you noticed that the driver side cooling is less compared to the front passenger seat? and the single vent on the drivers right hand is useless....... have you experienced the same ? Though i've heard this in a couple of Thar's, i'm waiting for a "quick fix"
This is true in my case too. I shut the passenger side vents when driving alone to get more air flow towards the driver seat and also use a bent visiting card to direct airflow from the center vent towards me. Need to find a permanent plastic replacement for this partially effective visiting card inserted between the two center vents.
Tha'Red is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks