Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2013, 21:39   #2596
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Thank you, everyone. I booked the Thar this morning (but I'll have to wait a month to drive it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Question to Thar owners - what is the maximum amount of diesel you have filled in the Thar so far ? The reason I ask is with the fuel gauge needle at/close to empty without running dry, the max I have been able to fill is around 40L. The specifications indicate a capacity of 60L? Am i missing something ? At most the fuel line I thought would hold 5L?
I asked the dealer today. They say that the Di has a 45L tank, the CRDe has a 60L tank. Hope it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post
There's one important distinction to be aware of. In OTR events- obstacles, climbs, descents and terrain is of the extreme kind, terrain that you would never come across when driving on the road. Thus, what people are referring to, when they talk of poor performance at OTR events, is that if you buy a Thar CRDe specifically to take part in OTR events, then the IFS will prove less robust that a solid axle. That is all, there is no more to it. The Thar is a rugged Jeep that can go over bad terrain with aplomb and keep you comfortable whilst doing it. You can be confident it will go through the jungle drive and in addition the drive to the jungles on highways will be more powerful, comfortable and refined than any MM540 can offer.
Noted, thanks. For me its not a compromise, it's the only choice I have. It's either this or my Fiesta. So, no OTR events for me but that's ok, at least I'll be able to drive into forests, that's all I wanted any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Not at all. The issues people here are talking about are the issues that crop up at times when you participate in full blown off road exercises.
For the kind of off roading you have in mind, you will be happy with it.
Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2013 at 16:50. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 20th April 2013, 22:22   #2597
BHPian

Quote:
20 liters to be precise.
60 litres it is indeed, I added 38.93 litres to the level in the below picture, which suggests just over the 20 litres in reserve.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-photo-2.jpg  

ashnd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:50   #2598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
It holds 60 litres. I have filled 56 liters once. There is a lot of range left even when the dial comes to the red mark.
Quote:
20 liters to be precise.
Quote:
60 litres it is indeed, I added 38.93 litres to the level in the below picture, which suggests just over the 20 litres in reserve.

Thanks ashishy, n.devdath & ashnd . I usually have to sit in traffic for hours in the morning and evening and did not want to risk running empty so been filling the moment it hits near the empty mark. I will experiment a bit the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
Thank you, everyone. I booked the Thar this morning (but I'll have to wait a month to drive it.)

I asked the dealer today. They say that the Di has a 45L tank, the CRDe has a 60L tank. Hope it helps!

Noted, thanks. For me its not a compromise, it's the only choice I have. It's either this or my Fiesta. So, no OTR events for me but that's ok, at least I'll be able to drive into forests, that's all I wanted any way.

Thanks!
Thanks 911er and congrats - what color have you booked ?
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:15   #2599
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Filling the Fuel Tank too much beyond the auto cutoff / trip does damage the ability of the Fuel Guage to show the correct reading overtime in some vehicles (due to the Mechanism in the Tank not working properly as a result of this).

Many vehicles seem to have an excessively large reserve due to incorrect calibration. We can take the vehicle to the ASS and get this corrected - Having a reserve of 20L is of no use and will just lead to multiple unnecessary trips to the Fuel bunk and cause tension during long drives.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:37   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post

Thanks 911er and congrats - what color have you booked ?
Thank you. I've booked the Rocky Beige...
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:21   #2601
Senior - BHPian

I think the tank capacity, tank and the fuel gauge / float system is a direct lift off from the bolero. My bolero also shows a similar trait. At the level indicated in the above picture my Bolero tank also takes in 38 to 39 litres of fuel.

Last edited by desertfox : 22nd April 2013 at 12:22.
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:38   #2602
BHPian

Auto Cut-Off hardly works in my car. It is the overflow that tells us the tank is full.
Old 22nd April 2013, 16:11   #2603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Many vehicles seem to have an excessively large reserve due to incorrect calibration. We can take the vehicle to the ASS and get this corrected - Having a reserve of 20L is of no use and will just lead to multiple unnecessary trips to the Fuel bunk and cause tension during long drives.
Sir, IMO if one is in an offroad trail and using the lo ratio, then 20L is just enough for 80 to 100 kms - which is the correct reserve fuel automobile manufacturers design for.

Also, the tanks can be recalibrated by the A.S.S only if it is absolutely necessary, else it is a pure waste of messing with OE electrical systems.

One can setup the tank to show 3/4 full even if the tank is full and overflowing and vice-versa
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:56   #2604
BHPian

After reading about it in a few threads here, I requested the dealer I booked my Thar from, to let me pick up my Thar from their stockyard. They say it's their policy and they don't allow customers to pick up the car from the stockyard. My only reason to do this was to check the car manufacture date, is there another way to do this?

At the time of booking, I'd also said I'd like to buy the car ex-Mumbai after paying for CRTM, I'd do the registration and insurance myself. The sales executive had agreed but had told me that he would have to confirm this. Today he's told me that because of the free accessories I'm getting, he's not sure he'll be able to let me register the car myself (insurance is okay). The reason he says is that the dealer will lose out on "some commission" from Mahindra.

I don't mind getting it registered through them, but shouldn't it be my choice?
Old 22nd April 2013, 18:12   #2605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Auto Cut-Off hardly works in my car. It is the overflow that tells us the tank is full.
But I always believed that 'Auto cut-off' is something to do with the pump nozzle and not the vehicle
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 00:01   #2606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
After reading about it in a few threads here, I requested the dealer I booked my Thar from, to let me pick up my Thar from their stockyard. They say it's their policy and they don't allow customers to pick up the car from the stockyard. My only reason to do this was to check the car manufacture date, is there another way to do this?

At the time of booking, I'd also said I'd like to buy the car ex-Mumbai after paying for CRTM, I'd do the registration and insurance myself. The sales executive had agreed but had told me that he would have to confirm this. Today he's told me that because of the free accessories I'm getting, he's not sure he'll be able to let me register the car myself (insurance is okay). The reason he says is that the dealer will lose out on "some commission" from Mahindra.

I don't mind getting it registered through them, but shouldn't it be my choice?
You will find the dates of manufacture/inspection signed off on stickers and parts in the engine bay. You can also decode the chassis number as described in this thread.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_2881.jpg

I don't believe that the dealer is obliged to show a car to a customer in the stock yard but this is still common practise. I selected my example from the stock yard after looking at another one in the showroom. It may be more useful to persuade/request them to do so. In any case, the Thar comes built to order, so you should not have issues in terms of manufacture dates.

Both registration and insurance can be arranged externally. You will need to have valid insurance in place to take delivery. It usually works out cheaper to get it done externally. I went for both items externally, but at the last minute the dealer beat the external insurance quote by Rs 2000, so I decided to go with their insurance underwritten by ICICI. The registration is still pending and I am headed to the RTO tomorrow to get this done. If you get the dealer to register the car, there will be a brokerage fee that gets added on to the cost of the registration. Its cost vs convenience, so best decided based on individual circumstances.
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:11   #2607
Distinguished - BHPian

AutoCut should work if the fuel nozzle is properly inserted and not just kept at the tip of filler. Also try a different pump may be the one where you are getting fulled up has problem with their autocut nozzle.
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:29   #2608
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Insurance from outside and Registration from the Dealer is the normal middle path. Though if the Dealer matches the outside Insurance value or comes within 1K of it then getting it also done from the Dealer is fine. The free accessories are funded from the extra margin that the dealer makes so the more we take from them, the more free accessories they can give us. In the end it all works out the same as long as we keep the dealer on his toes with competing quotes.

Fuel auto cutoff as mentioned by Sudev would nor work if the pump machine has an issue or if the filler keeps the fuel filler nozzle just on the edge rather than inserting it fully.
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:08   #2609
Senior - BHPian

I dont think most Mahindra ASC will have the talent to recalibrate a fuel tank float.
At best they are an oil change and minor warranty repairs centre. Anything else they change the part and make the customers wait for days even for this job.
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:23   #2610
BHPian

Quote:
You will find the dates of manufacture/inspection signed off on stickers and parts in the engine bay. You can also decode the chassis number as described in this thread.

I don't believe that the dealer is obliged to show a car to a customer in the stock yard but this is still common practise. I selected my example from the stock yard after looking at another one in the showroom. It may be more useful to persuade/request them to do so. In any case, the Thar comes built to order, so you should not have issues in terms of manufacture dates.

Both registration and insurance can be arranged externally. You will need to have valid insurance in place to take delivery. It usually works out cheaper to get it done externally. I went for both items externally, but at the last minute the dealer beat the external insurance quote by Rs 2000, so I decided to go with their insurance underwritten by ICICI. The registration is still pending and I am headed to the RTO tomorrow to get this done. If you get the dealer to register the car, there will be a brokerage fee that gets added on to the cost of the registration. Its cost vs convenience, so best decided based on individual circumstances.
Thanks for the link, just what I wanted to know.

I haven't calculated the difference in Registration but the difference in Insurance is Rs. 3100. I don't mind getting it done through them but not when the difference is this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Insurance from outside and Registration from the Dealer is the normal middle path. Though if the Dealer matches the outside Insurance value or comes within 1K of it then getting it also done from the Dealer is fine. The free accessories are funded from the extra margin that the dealer makes so the more we take from them, the more free accessories they can give us. In the end it all works out the same as long as we keep the dealer on his toes with competing quotes.
Got it, I guess I'll do just that - provided the difference isn't as much as it is right now.

Also, for the free accessories, the dealer has given me a list (Thar Expedition Kit, attached) to choose from. I'd like to get the Head/Tail Lamp grills and the front insect mesh. What else from this list would you'll suggest I get?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thar Expedition Kit.pdf (968.1 KB, 3153 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks