Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:33   #2611
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Seat covers for sure and the Bikni top would make it cool. A retail price of Rs. 2770 for the Bikni top is not bad but I hope it is of the same material as the original soft top.

Last edited by desertfox : 23rd April 2013 at 11:34.
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:00   #2612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Seat covers for sure and the Bikni top would make it cool. A retail price of Rs. 2770 for the Bikni top is not bad but I hope it is of the same material as the original soft top.
I didn't like these two colour seat covers too much. I think I'll get them made outside. The half canopy was on my list as well, though the dealer rates are higher than those in the PDF.

What do you think about the front bumper and the roll cage?
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:08   #2613
Distinguished - BHPian

Strange issue cropped up on Thar.
When ignition is switched on nine time out of ten the "heater" and some other amber lights on the dash do not come on. Without them turning on you can crank to your hearts content or battery draining away - which ever is earlier - the engine would not fire. If the lights come on it fires without hesitation immediately.
Obviously some loose connection. But where to start looking in between so many wires under the dash???
Clues? Guidance??
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:47   #2614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Strange issue cropped up on Thar.
When ignition is switched on nine time out of ten the "heater" and some other amber lights on the dash do not come on. Without them turning on you can crank to your hearts content or battery draining away - which ever is earlier - the engine would not fire. If the lights come on it fires without hesitation immediately.
Obviously some loose connection. But where to start looking in between so many wires under the dash???
Clues? Guidance??
Ignition Switch should be the culprit. All the wires are behind this switch.
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:46   #2615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
I didn't like these two colour seat covers too much. I think I'll get them made outside. The half canopy was on my list as well, though the dealer rates are higher than those in the PDF.

What do you think about the front bumper and the roll cage?
Front bumper is useful off road and looks good, a roll cage only if you wish to go off road quite extensively and indulge in some really extreme stuff, for OTR and Monsoon kind of events you are fine, but on the other hand a safety device is always useful.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:57   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Front bumper is useful off road and looks good, a roll cage only if you wish to go off road quite extensively and indulge in some really extreme stuff, for OTR and Monsoon kind of events you are fine, but on the other hand a safety device is always useful.
The only off-roading I'll be doing is driving through jungle trails since I've read and even been told that the Thar CRDe is not suitable for anything more. The front bumper I wanted because it looks much better than the stock. But the roll cage, like you said, is useful.

Is this the SA Roll Cage or is that different? I've been trying to get in touch with someone from Mahindra Customisation but no luck yet.
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:01   #2617
Senior - BHPian

It is the same. The price is high but it is an exact fit designed for this vehicle thing, although with a little exploration, if you are willing to spend some time with a fabricator / denter a much cheaper alternative can be created.
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:08   #2618
BHPian

Quote:
It is the same. The price is high but it is an exact fit designed for this vehicle thing, although with a little exploration, if you are willing to spend some time with a fabricator / denter a much cheaper alternative can be created.
I don't mind spending time at all but I don't know who to go to for it in Mumbai. There are a few other things I'd like to get fabricated as well but only once I know where to go.
Old 24th April 2013, 02:33   #2619
BHPian

Quote:
The only off-roading I'll be doing is driving through jungle trails since I've read and even been told that the Thar CRDe is not suitable for anything more. The front bumper I wanted because it looks much better than the stock. But the roll cage, like you said, is useful.

Is this the SA Roll Cage or is that different? I've been trying to get in touch with someone from Mahindra Customisation but no luck yet.
Well, I do think that the Thar can perform well at the OTR events and it's off-road abilities are not limited to trail driving. True that the solid axles of the previous gen jeeps have advantages over the IFS in certain situations, but you can't write off Thar's offroad capabilities only on that basis.

You could actually get a more functional front bumper than the one that Mahindra Customization provides. Beware of the rock sliders that they provide which are bolted to the body instead of the chassis from what I've heard.

The roll cage is a useful fitment to have. THe SA rollcage is a direct fit for the Thar and can be ordered only as a spare part and not as an accessory, speak to the spares manager at the dealership. There is a standard roll cage that is offered as a part of the accessories which is pretty useless IMHO. The cost of both setups are same/similar, roughly about 10-12k and you can get either of them fitted at the Mahindra ASC. I should warn you that ordering the SA rollcage needs a lot of patience since it took almost 2 months for mine to arrive. With the SA rollcage, you'll have to do away with the stock side facing rear seats and that would mean another job of fitting new front facing rear seats.

Alternately, you could choose to fabricate a thicker 3inch rollcage with heavy duty pipes for about the same price or even lower but that will involve leaving the jeep at the fabricator for measurements etc, finding a reliable guy is the first thing you'll have to do. This may involve drilling additional holes or fitting new brackets to fit the rollcage depending on the design. However, you may be able to work with the side facing seats in this option.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 11:02   #2620
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link, just what I wanted to know.

Also, for the free accessories, the dealer has given me a list (Thar Expedition Kit, attached) to choose from. I'd like to get the Head/Tail Lamp grills and the front insect mesh. What else from this list would you'll suggest I get?
When I bought the Thar, I just went for mats. My to-do list contains the Off-Road Bumpers and Wheel Arches

Last edited by ashishy : 24th April 2013 at 11:03.
Old 24th April 2013, 12:18   #2621
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear 911er - I suggest you buy the production vehicle, get value for your money spent, please.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 24th April 2013 at 12:20. Reason: add info
Old 24th April 2013, 12:24   #2622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear 911er - I suggest you buy the production vehicle, get value for your money spent, please.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hello sir, I have booked the production vehicle. But the Expedition Kit is from where I have to choose the free accessories that the dealer is giving me and my doubts are regarding that.
Old 24th April 2013, 13:05   #2623
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear 911er - do you really believe that these thingies add value to the vehicle? If you do, go ahead, otherwise instead of getting them "free", get some money back, in the worst case scenario, forget it but please protect your vehicle! .

My sincere request is that you should buy the production vehicle and use it as it is. With the quantity of "people" floating around in the system "guiding" customers, it is the safest thing to do (I am trying to be diplomatic for a change).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 13:22   #2624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear 911er

My sincere request is that you should buy the production vehicle and use it as it is. With the quantity of "people" floating around in the system "guiding" customers, it is the safest thing to do (I am trying to be diplomatic for a change).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you sir, will keep this in mind. I was only looking to add the necessities the vehicle and I wasn't sure which they would/should be, hence the confusion.
Old 24th April 2013, 14:20   #2625

I purchased my Thar crde in Nov 2011 and has just done a little over 10,000kms till date. I find that the braking efficiency has just dropped drastically not that it was all to talk about in the first place. I have seen on the forum of what needs to be done to get the brakes upgraded and I happenend to clarify this with one of the Mahindra representatives who is also on the forum and he said that this new set up was not Mahindra approved and they are still working on a solution.

I also checked with the Mahindra dealer in my area and I showed them the procedure of what needs to be done for the brake upgrade (as posted on Team-BHP) and they didn't seem to convinced it with either. I was just wondering if all Thar owners (atleast a sizeable number) files a complaint at the consumer court will this help in anyway. Will it force Mahindra to take corrective steps?
renoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks