Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 19:00   #2671
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

We were just talking about water leaks in our Thar Bangalore Whatsapp group. Everyone here has the same issue of the foot wells in our Thars getting soaked. This happens when driving in rain - moderate to heavy. It never happens during a power wash, so I assume it is due to leakage from the A/C vents. One of the members in our group suggested it could be leaks from the windshield rubber.

Any thoughts guys? And suggestions for fixes?

Regards,
Manas
Old 10th July 2013, 21:05   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It's not that the A/C ducts are not drained...don't really know if they are or not. They are not insulated. This means that the entire dashboard gets really cold from the cold air and water vapor in humid monsoon air then condenses on the ENTIRE dashboard. Mahindra surely knows how to cool a dash, by golly. And I am not talking about a little dampness, I am talking about sopping wet, soaked major league. You have to be dumber than a brick to put something like this into production.
You're bang on target, I think its just the lack of insulation that creates this situation. It doesn't happen all the time when the A/C is running, but only when the outside ambient temperature is cooler in general. The water is seen everywhere in the dashboard where the A/C ducts flow. Recently I had a narrow escape with my smartphone which was soaked in a nice puddle inside the glove box.

You can limit the extent of this issue by adjusting the thermostat upwards so that the cooling reduces, but often it's too late before you realize it. I'm thinking of using a post-it reminder to adjust the cooling knob each time I switch on the A/C, more like manual climate control.
Old 10th July 2013, 22:24   #2673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It's not that the A/C ducts are not drained...don't really know if they are or not. They are not insulated. This means that the entire dashboard gets really cold from the cold air and water vapor in humid monsoon air then condenses on the ENTIRE dashboard. Mahindra surely knows how to cool a dash, by golly. And I am not talking about a little dampness, I am talking about sopping wet, soaked major league. You have to be dumber than a brick to put something like this into production.
This would also mean that a lot of cooling power is wasted, right? All that cooling power is wasted in cooling down the entire dashboard and not just the glovebox. And the effectiveness of the AC would go down the drain in the summers. The Thar being a soft top, A/C efficiency should have been a top priority. Surprising that the Bolero owners have not been complaining so far (at least on Team-Bhp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Recently I had a narrow escape with my smartphone which was soaked in a nice puddle inside the glove box.

There is a rumour that Mahindra may provide free Sony Experia Z (Water resistant up to 1 meter and 30 minutes) to A/C Thar owners.
Just kidding. But you should probably get a waterproof phone.

Last edited by pjbiju : 10th July 2013 at 22:31.
Old 10th July 2013, 22:51   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
There is a rumour that Mahindra may provide free Sony Experia Z (Water resistant up to 1 meter and 30 minutes) to A/C Thar owners. Just kidding. But you should probably get a waterproof phone.
A typical case of a tail wagging the dog, eh?

On a serious note, I had a quite the opposite problem with my Air-con with the relay chattering and ineffective cooling. I decided to remove the thermistor from the cooling coil and place it away.

A big mistake! Within 5 minutes the cabin chilled and then the air froze, literally!

After researching on the net, I realized the thermistor required to be on the cooling coil. I must admit that the Mahindra Service team (read: Vinod Nookala)went out of their way to help sort out the issue. Guided by the workshop manual the thermistor was re-fixed onto the cooling coil in the correct position and the problem sorted out - the initial (factory) placement of the thermistor was wrong.

Based on my experience, I can opine that the over-cooling and water formation is due to wrong placement of the thermistor; the thermistor is not sensing the chill and thereby not cutting-off the compressor. Re-positioning the thermistor as per design specifications may help!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 10th July 2013 at 22:52.
cpbopanna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 23:39   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I face exactly the same problem in my Bolero as well. And water dripping from under the dashboard just behind the glove box.
I had the same problem with my bolero and got sorted out last week with the help of Mahindra technical guys who came directly from the factory for showroom inspection. Actually this issue is because of the wiper joints which they sorted by tightening the bolts. Initially when i took my vehicle to the service centre because of the same issue, they put some extra sealants on the windshield gaskets but in vein. Later i identified that the leaks come only when the wiper is on. Its a small tightening job that you need to do with the help of the service guy.

Highwaypatrol
highwaypatrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 11:11   #2676
Senior - BHPian

They had put sealants in my vehivle too earlier but the problem reaccured. The system is the same as the Thar in the Bolero, will try out the above recommendation.
Old 14th July 2013, 20:20   #2677
BANNED

Hi all thar-logists, I had been to the lonavala great escape last weekend and it was a eye opener on the thar's vast and poles apart capabilities. It was a 900kms round trip for me and i drove alone for the whole distance and the thar just proved to be excellent at covering long distances on the highway. Then took it off roading and it just left be wide mouthed what was i doing here and how was it able to go through some impossible looking obstacles. It was my first true offroad trip and i must say "I am in love with the thar all over again". All the small niggles are forgtten for now but hope to start ironing them out soon and khudos to BHERAM SIR N TEAM. I also managed to get a look at sirs 521 and will add snaps soon.

BHERAM SIR YOUR 521 with a few mods and MT tyres
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-screenhunter_272_jul._07_23.34.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th July 2013 at 21:20.
Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 20:42   #2678
BANNED

Re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story.

Hi guys can anyone help me with this. Look at the lower end of this snap the CRDe Thar's windscreen has been dropped down om the bonnet, how can we do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-chennaiexpress22.jpg  

Old 15th July 2013, 11:13   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
Hi guys can anyone help me with this. Look at the lower end of this snap the CRDe Thar's windscreen has been dropped down om the bonnet, how can we do this.
Rohit Shetty should be able to answer this

I have seen some Mahindra Adventure Thars also with their Windscreen down. So, they should be able to guide you.

Source: Mahindra Thar Facebook Page
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-481334_10151320449938837_1692703976_n.jpg  

Last edited by ashishy : 15th July 2013 at 11:15.
Old 31st July 2013, 20:04   #2680
BHPian

Can anyone here please tell me what is the wheel bolt pattern of Thar crde. I read somewhere it differs from the Di version.
Old 31st July 2013, 23:08   #2681
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPatrol View Post
Can anyone here please tell me what is the wheel bolt pattern of Thar crde. I read somewhere it differs from the Di version.
Thar CRDe = 160 PCD, same as for the Scorpio/Bolero/Safari, etc.

DI = 149.x same as MM550, Jeep, Gypsy, Ambasador.
Old 31st July 2013, 23:25   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

I think it is 139.7 or has it been changed?

Spike
Old 1st August 2013, 08:44   #2683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
You can change the Thar CRDe windsheild to Thar Di one, which can be dropped down the bonnet.

However, the Di windshield is one in which the leak is impossible to fix.
Old 1st August 2013, 09:20   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Thar CRDe = 160 PCD, same as for the Scorpio/Bolero/Safari, etc.

Thanks for the info, but I'm specifically looking for bolt pattern of 5x160 PCD. Not sure how to convert it. eg: 5x5.5 = 139.7 PCD
Old 1st August 2013, 12:23   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You can change the Thar CRDe windsheild to Thar Di one, which can be dropped down the bonnet.

However, the Di windshield is one in which the leak is impossible to fix.
Even the Thar CRDe windshield can be dropped down, provided things are done the right way.

Spike

Most Viewed