Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 04:43   #2746
BANNED

Kind of a quirky question and I most definitely know the 'logical' answer to it. But having said that, an open question to all here - does it make sense to have the Thar as your one and only daily drive?
Old 16th September 2013, 09:27   #2747
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
Thanks guys, posting few pictures of the new ride
Congrats on the new Thar @Hondaism . Did you do any changes to the door pads & inner door latch ? They look nice and do not look like what was given in the Gen I version. Not sure if they came with the Gen II of the Thar. Also where have you mounted your speakers - some photos of that please.
Old 16th September 2013, 10:16   #2748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Kind of a quirky question and I most definitely know the 'logical' answer to it. But having said that, an open question to all here - does it make sense to have the Thar as your one and only daily drive?
There aer some members who use their Thars as daily drives. @sjcherian is one of them.
Old 16th September 2013, 10:34   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thar can be your daily drive, but not "one and only" vehicle you own. Unlike large selling popular cars, if any repairs are required the Thar will be out of commission for any where between 2 days and 2 weeks.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 10:46   #2750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But having said that, an open question to all here - does it make sense to have the Thar as your one and only daily drive?
Not a clear question. What kind of daily commute, city or estate trails? Are there other cars at home?

Thar is not the right vehicle for city driving. And it makes no sense to have Thar as your only vehicle unless you live in a place where there are no roads. It should be your 2nd or 3rd vehicle.

Yes, some people do have Thar as their only vehicle and use it for daily commute. That doesn't mean it makes sense. Passion makes us do many things that don't make sense.
Old 16th September 2013, 10:56   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
There are four angles to this:

1. From a neurological (read: head/brain) point of view, a bare-bones vehicle costing Rs. 8.6 Lakhs on-road (in Bangalore), fuel efficiency of 10 kmpl, fit & finish so atrocious that you need to spend lots of green bucks to bring it to your expectations of a modern vehicle - 'logically' it DOES NOT make sense.

2. From the security point of view, unless you plan to go in for a hard top or you are a glutton for punishment (carrying your luggage around each time you park), the Thar 'logically' is a strict NO-NO.

3. From the mechanical point of view, a Thar is quite reliable and robust (notwithstanding that a brake upgrade is highly recommended). Apart from frequent niggles like squeaks, rattles which you either learn to live with or frequently use WD40/visit the workshop, for general on-road/city/highway use the Thar 'logically' is a BLAST!

4. From the cardiac (read: heart) point of view, a Thar gives immense pleasure, grabs eye-balls on the street, results in a king-of-the-road attitude - generally and 'logically' feels very good to drive and to be seen in a Thar.

In conclusion, if you do a SWOT analysis and decide which boxes tick as per your individual requirement, you will arrive at the correct (not quirky) decision!

Personally, I use my Jeep (Thar) as a second vehicle; only for week-ends, late night city drives or an occasional drive to Coorg. ! I have spent so much time/effort/money on my Jeep that I would not be surprised if most high-end car owners use their cars more frequently than I use my Jeep!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 16th September 2013 at 11:04.
cpbopanna is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 11:28   #2752
BANNED

Thanks for the honest replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, some people do have Thar as their only vehicle and use it for daily commute. That doesn't mean it makes sense. Passion makes us do many things that don't make sense.
The last line was a clincher. Cpbopanna, your detailed view is most appreciated. And coming from someone who owns it accentuates the fact that the Thar is a, with all its shortcomings still, very 'commute'able car.

Now this is what I just wildly thought. The car itself is a no nonsense robust and mechanically strong vehicle. And when the underpinnings of a car is sorted, the things you can modify for it to become 'tasteful' is boundless. Ofcourse safety features may still be amiss, rendering it a little exposed for daily drives. Regardless, the rough edges that Mahindra has left it with on the aesthetic department can be covered up within a few months and some decent fabricators. Like it's been said in the OP, its a surprisingly good highway cruiser (relatively).

So yes. We should have another car to be able to use the Thar occasionally to vent out the anger one built up on the boss or wife. But if you don't, then spend some 3 L more and it will start to look a lot more acceptable 'one & only' car.

Last edited by methecupid : 16th September 2013 at 11:29.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 13:04   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Beautiful!

If I may ask, how much did the front bumper cost you?
It does not look like the one catalogued in the Mahindra accessory list, it rather looks like one made by Prad 4x4!
It is from Mahindra accessory list. This is part of their 'expedition kit'. I installed it for about 10,300 Rs.
TuxDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 17:03   #2754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the honest replies.

The last line was a clincher. Cpbopanna, your detailed view is most appreciated. And coming from someone who owns it accentuates the fact that the Thar is a, with all its shortcomings still, very 'commute'able car.

Now this is what I just wildly thought. The car itself is a no nonsense robust and mechanically strong vehicle. And when the underpinnings of a car is sorted, the things you can modify for it to become 'tasteful' is boundless. Ofcourse safety features may still be amiss, rendering it a little exposed for daily drives. Regardless, the rough edges that Mahindra has left it with on the aesthetic department can be covered up within a few months and some decent fabricators. Like it's been said in the OP, its a surprisingly good highway cruiser (relatively).

So yes. We should have another car to be able to use the Thar occasionally to vent out the anger one built up on the boss or wife. But if you don't, then spend some 3 L more and it will start to look a lot more acceptable 'one & only' car.
To add to what CP correctly said - THAR being a daily commute depends on what one expects from a daily use car.
I don't exactly follow some comments about safety & comfort equipment when millions of people are using the M800 / Alto as their daily commute vehicle for ages.

Still - I hope M&M does upgrade the interiors a bit to the tastes of urban buyers. At 8+L OTR, the Thar isn't all that "cheap" on the pocket.

Go ahead and follow your heart! Get the Thar & Enjoy it! Why should THAR be the 2nd car? Make it your 1st car & then add a 2nd (hatchback or something) afterwards
Old 16th September 2013, 17:25   #2755
BHPian

Am writing up my 14 months with the Thar - will put up a review soon. Its the 3rd vehicle we have at home but it is the one I have driven the most since I bought it.

The only points I have to add to whats already been said are - you buy it with your heart only not with your mind ! If you think too much about it then you will never buy it.

All worries/stress of work and boss and family are all forgotten driving the Thar - even if it is only on tar and in stop and go traffic at 30kmph. No need for any therapy sessions or anger management. You forget everything else !
sjcherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 17:38   #2756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I don't exactly follow some comments about safety & comfort equipment when millions of people are using the M800 / Alto as their daily commute vehicle for ages.
I wanted to buy it but my concern for safetyprevented me from taking the plunge. In case of Thar, the safety concern is more for the people on the road who I might hit when the inefficient brakes are applied.

And the millions who are driving M800/Alto spent less than half of what they would spend to buy a Thar. I think Thar must be avoided if off-roading is not in one's mind.
Old 16th September 2013, 17:44   #2757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I wanted to buy it but my concern for safetyprevented me from taking the plunge. In case of Thar, the safety concern is more for the people on the road who I might hit when the inefficient brakes are applied.

And the millions who are driving M800/Alto spent less than half of what they would spend to buy a Thar. I think Thar must be avoided if off-roading is not in one's mind.
You are so considerate
Having driven in NCR for quite some time,If i ever plan to relocate there,i will get Thar as my Primary vehicle,to keep the road pests in control
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 23:20   #2758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post

Beautiful!

If I may ask, how much did the front bumper cost you?
It does not look like the one catalogued in the Mahindra accessory list, it rather looks like one made by Prad 4x4!
Thanks bopanna, front bumper is from Sterling Mahindra dealership in Gurgaon. Cost 9000 bucks after 10% discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post

Congrats on the new Thar @Hondaism . Did you do any changes to the door pads & inner door latch ? They look nice and do not look like what was given in the Gen I version. Not sure if they came with the Gen II of the Thar. Also where have you mounted your speakers - some photos of that please.
Thanks sjcherian. No changes to the door pads or latch. Got 2 boxes and mounted my infinity reference speakers on it. Will post some pictures over the weekend.
Old 18th September 2013, 00:09   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

No it is not,i can still see the old AC controls.
AC controls shown in the autocar photographs is an add on central console, (if you can call it one ) which mahindra is selling to the over enthusiasts.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:57   #2760
XD2
BHPian

After 20,000km of near trouble-free performance with my Thar, ran into my first major issue today. The brakes gave up (completely).

The Thar just had its 20,000km service - and there were no issues prior to that. Post the service, the next day i could feel the brake pedal sinking in a little more than usual. Today being the second day after service, I was driving down the highway, pressed the brakes and they just sunk in - with a 5% feedback at best. Luckily it was 6am traffic and I braked on a near traffic free stretch - so no compounding issues. Could have a lot more unpleasant in any other scenario.

The brake fluid had drained completely. I could see heavy leakage near the RH caliper. Bought a bottle of DOT-3 brake fluid from the next petrol pump, topped it up and was able to make it to the service station, where it was diagnosed to be having a faulty pipe near the brake caliper. The fluid was being ejected to a good two meters away. It was replaced and brakes are working fine now.

In all my years of car ownership, this would be the first time I've encountered this - and it was a serious one. Not sure if its a Thar issue, a Mahindra one, something missed in the service, or just plain bad luck.

Attaching some pictures of the affected part:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_0856-1280x960.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_0864-960x1280.jpg  

XD2 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks