Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:46   #2776
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Kind of a quirky question and I most definitely know the 'logical' answer to it. But having said that, an open question to all here - does it make sense to have the Thar as your one and only daily drive?
Well i am in the same confusion as well and here is the link to my post

Eritga - 7 People can travel comfortably but at 30s and yet to married that not my kind of vehicle
Ecosport - Just Love ford cars for their drivability
THAR - the Jeep Quotient and I love it , My heart says "its now or never"

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post3254797
Old 6th October 2013, 00:24   #2777
BHPian

Hi Guys, can anybody confirm if an ARB Differential locker can be installed in the Thar?
Old 7th October 2013, 14:11   #2778
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
Hi Guys, can anybody confirm if an ARB Differential locker can be installed in the Thar?
Yes, The Dana 44, 30 spline version can be installed in rear. Front is too weak for lockers and you will break your axle joints.

You can buy an Eaton MLD from Mahindra for about 30K. This maybe cheaper than the ARB option.
Old 9th October 2013, 13:11   #2779
BHPian

Happy to announce that I am booking the Thar this week! Decision was made a while back and I was waiting for finances to fall in place.

I have a query regarding the loan. SBI is giving 85% loan on the onroad price. Proforma invoice that I got has the optional accessories (56000 - bullbar, rollcage etc) included, bringing the onroad price to 9,40,000.

I have no intention of getting the accessories. (except the insect mesh, cos I have to spend on the hardtop etc). So total cost would be around 8,80,000.

Dealer is saying it is in my benefit to get the loan processed for 9.4L instead of 8.8L, even if I don't opt for the accesories, so that I get max funding and it can be adjusted in down payment.

The way I understand it, I have to pay 15% of the onroad (minus booking amt) to the bank directly, correct?

a) If they disburse 85% of 9.4L = 800000, margin money = 140000
b) If they disburse 85% of 8.8L = 750000, margin money = 130000

booking amt in either case is 50000. Option b is straight forward.

If I choose option a,
remaining 90000 I have to pay to the bank.
Bank will disburse 8L+90000 to the dealer.
Then what happens? Will the dealer give me 50000 back? Or will he say that billing is full and final, and I am forced to take the accessories?
Old 9th October 2013, 13:16   #2780
Distinguished - BHPian

My understanding is Bank won't release the amount without checking the invoice.
But you can try your luck :-)
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 14:04   #2781
BHPian

Changes in New Thar

Just checked out the two major changes in the New Thar at India Garage, St. Marks Road, Bangalore

The upgradation of AC control panel is pretty neat, in my opinion, its worth doing this on the old Thar. However, the entire middle panel needs to be replaced!

I just hope the new controls are back-lit, in the earlier version, one needs to grope in the dark!

The AC controls in the earlier Thars look relatively crude!

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-ac-panel.jpg

The 'X' member attaching the front wind-screen section to the targa band is a different story though!
The way the clamps have been welded above the windscreen is sad, looks like an after-market job!

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-support-pillar.jpg

The attachment to the targa band is relatively better, but the 'X' member has just been fastened to one of the existing bolt/nuts! However, in comparison, it looks better than the attachment at the front!

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-support-b-pillar.jpg

The 'X' member by itself, looks quite decent. If the fastening of the 'X' member to the A and B pillars was done more professionally, the 'improvement' or 'modification' would have appeared factory-fitted rather than 'jugaad'!

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-cross-support.jpg
There is a velcro strip holding the (hard portion of the) soft-top to the 'X' member.

At the rear, the seats definitely appear lower. But I did not have a chance to check how comfortable they were!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 9th October 2013 at 14:06.
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 18:19   #2782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
The way I understand it, I have to pay 15% of the onroad (minus booking amt) to the bank directly, correct?

If I choose option a,
Then what happens? Will the dealer give me 50000 back? Or will he say that billing is full and final, and I am forced to take the accessories?
Good to know you Booked at last.
Why do you have to pay 15% of the on road price to the bank. As far as i know, you have to pay it to the dealer & rest will be funded by the bank.
BTW, what is the EMI quoted by SBI if you take a 7.5L loan?
Old 9th October 2013, 18:57   #2783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey congratulations on the decision!

Regarding the finances -
1. You pay the 50k as booking
2. You pay the 90k (or whatever the amount) to the dealer
3. Bank draws a cheque / DD of the sanctioned loan amount (whatever 750,000 etc.) in the name of the dealer.

These 3 should total to the on-road price quoted to you.
This is how it generally is done. Why don't you go this way? Nobody considers the booking amount as anything different. Its simply a part of the full payment made in advance.

Close the deal excluding the accessories. If the dealer says they are mandatory - tell him that you won't book. I can understand that we badly want the THAR, but that isn't a reason enough to get cheated.

Select only the accessories that you want to buy & then pay for them from pocket - unless you find it better to add that amount into the loan.

Just my 2 cents.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 21:32   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to announce that I am booking the Thar this week! Decision was made a while back and I was waiting for finances to fall in place.

I have a query regarding the loan. SBI is giving 85% loan on the onroad price. Proforma invoice that I got has the optional accessories (56000 - bullbar, rollcage etc) included, bringing the onroad price to 9,40,000.

I have no intention of getting the accessories. (except the insect mesh, cos I have to spend on the hardtop etc). So total cost would be around 8,80,000.

Dealer is saying it is in my benefit to get the loan processed for 9.4L instead of 8.8L, even if I don't opt for the accesories, so that I get max funding and it can be adjusted in down payment.

If I choose option a,
Last week my friend had evaluated the car loans from SBI & IDBI. We went with IDBI for the following reasons:
  1. IDBI had a fixed interest rate of 10.5% whereas SBI had a floating interest rate. IDBI has now reduced their car loan rate to 10.25% for the festive season. But please check if that is a fixed rate or not.
  2. Processing fee of Rs. 1000 only at IDBI. Nil processing fee if you are an existing IDBI customer. This was I believe some 2.5k in the case of SBI
  3. No prepayment charges after 6 months.
Basically the fixed interest rate and lower processing fee led us to IDBI. So please check other options too and not just SBI. You may find better offers than IDBI too. I am in no way associated with IDBI, except that I have a loan from them.

You have to pay your share (15%) directly to the dealer. Bank will pay the dealer the remaining amount. So if you are getting a higher loan passed, check clearly with the dealer how the excess amount will be returned to you. May be you can get the DD from the bank and then get a cheque for the excess amount from the dealer before you hand over the DD.

Last edited by pjbiju : 9th October 2013 at 21:35.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 23:34   #2785
BHPian

Re: Changes in New Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Good to know you Booked at last.
Why do you have to pay 15% of the on road price to the bank. As far as i know, you have to pay it to the dealer & rest will be funded by the bank.
BTW, what is the EMI quoted by SBI if you take a 7.5L loan?
Thanks! Haven't booked yet though, booking this week after loan is sanctioned. SBI guy is worried it'll take more time because I changed company last month. EMI is for 7 years for 7.5L @ 10.55% = 12665/-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey congratulations on the decision!

Regarding the finances -
1. You pay the 50k as booking
2. You pay the 90k (or whatever the amount) to the dealer
3. Bank draws a cheque / DD of the sanctioned loan amount (whatever 750,000 etc.) in the name of the dealer.
Thanks. Ok, I thought I have to pay the margin money to the bank, hence all the confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Last week my friend had evaluated the car loans from SBI & IDBI. We went with IDBI for the following reasons

You have to pay your share (15%) directly to the dealer. Bank will pay the dealer the remaining amount. So if you are getting a higher loan passed, check clearly with the dealer how the excess amount will be returned to you. May be you can get the DD from the bank and then get a cheque for the excess amount from the dealer before you hand over the DD.
Thanks for clearing that up, this is what I wanted to know!
I checked out IDBI just now, good festive offer starting 9th October (today).
I shall apply there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Just checked out the two major changes in the New Thar at India Garage, St. Marks Road, Bangalore

The upgradation of AC control panel is pretty neat, in my opinion, its worth doing this on the old Thar. However, the entire middle panel needs to be replaced!
Thanks for the real pics from a real vehicle! I called up India Garage just this morning, and again the sales rep kept saying that his dealership has no information regarding the new updates. Atleast SireeshAuto said he'll deliver me the updated one.

Meanwhile, my interaction with Mahindra customer care has been quite good.
Clarified that warranty is 1year/unlimited kms and not 2yrs/50000kms as mentioned by one of the dealers. I also asked them if any changes were ever made to the braking system, since the time of the launch (since 2010), to which they said no.
Old 11th October 2013, 07:03   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Finally I can understand the plight of BD sir. Visited the Nashik plant yesterday. Must have been very frustrating. But the assembly lines gave me ideas as well. Its fairly simple to have a coil spring base for the rear suspension. The whole setup on the scorpio is so simple. It can be easily adapted onto the Thar. All that is required is a will to make changes happen at Mahindra. That is missing. Overall happy with my visit. couldn't take my eyes off the Thars being made at the bolero line or the W105s standing at the scorpio line.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 11th October 2013 at 07:23.
Old 11th October 2013, 14:26   #2787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Finally I can understand the plight of BD sir. Visited the Nashik plant yesterday. Must have been very frustrating. But the assembly lines gave me ideas as well. Its fairly simple to have a coil spring base for the rear suspension. The whole setup on the scorpio is so simple. It can be easily adapted onto the Thar. All that is required is a will to make changes happen at Mahindra. That is missing. Overall happy with my visit. couldn't take my eyes off the Thars being made at the bolero line or the W105s standing at the scorpio line.
What's W105?
Did you ask about any more updates on the Thar in pipeline?
Old 11th October 2013, 15:04   #2788
Senior - BHPian

W105 is the new Scorpio. A lot of changes. not just skin deep.
Old 12th October 2013, 16:41   #2789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
W105 is the new Scorpio. A lot of changes. not just skin deep.
What about the Thar? Anymore changes in Pipeline?
Old 12th October 2013, 16:45   #2790
Senior - BHPian

No information on that. With the number of upgrades and new models planned for other lines I don't see much happening on this front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks