Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 02:19   #2791

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Desertfox - the AC will be effective in Delhi heat, that I am sure of, so go ahead and buy. Regarding your other comment, what can I say? This smiley should say it all! .

I hope you got it! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
mr behram dhabhar,
I do not know you and have no wish to be flattering or even pleasing to you but heres my story. I lost my dad a few months backand had a very bad financial year businesswise. I sold my two cars till I was ok financially and then took a new look at what I had to buy. common sense suggested I buy two sedans (I don't go out my home at all) or a sedan for my wife and a hatchback for emergencies. my wife works for audi india and I thought maybe I should break the bank and buy a q5. and I almost did . then I saw the thar! I dunno how to tell you this without sucking up to you. I grew up in the western ghats and had a range of mm540s,550s, classics ,commanders,pickups and armadas at home. my last memory with dad was driving down to pune ina cj340 and then in a mm540 with the rickety god damn frigging suspension to mangalore. you have done something which I can never repay you for. I don't have the time energy or patience to have the jugaad (whatever that term means the south of the vindyas) jeep people advocate. you have given me the dreams of my childhood sans the damn troubles and I don't care for the dashboard, the automatic climate control(that even sounds bullshit) ABS, xyz OR whatever.i am posting this message just to let you know that whoever has a negative comment about the thar or a bad testdrive or a zillion complaints is actuallyone who did not have the bloody guts to buy one. I don't expect Hyundai santro or an sx4 to have electrical seat adjustments or computerized dashboards and stuff. here is the deal. you all want a thar.you are just too scared and so you justify with all kinda things. you would not if you did not desire one so badly. you would just forget it.this damn machine makes luxury sedan guys walk up to you and ask how much it costs .mileage etc. its a head turner and that's about it. you all want one(if you are a guy that is) and you can deny all you want with useless rantings but that's the truth. like a friends said" this guy tells me he will never buy a jeep.its too crude and will ruin hhis pedicure!" I rest my case
nakulnayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 23:33   #2792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakulnayak View Post
Mr Behram Dhabhar - I do not know you. I lost my dad a few months back and had a very bad financial year businesswise. I sold my two cars till I was ok financially and then took a new look at what I had to buy. My last memory with dad was driving down to pune in a CJ340 and then in an MM540 to Mangalore.

You have done something which I can never repay you for. You have given me the dreams of my childhood. I am posting this message just to let you know that whoever has a negative comment about the thar or a bad test drive or a zillion complaints is actually one who did not have the bloody guts to buy one. Here is the deal. You all want a thar. You are just too scared and so you justify with all kinds of things.
Dear nakulnayak - first of all, please accept my condolences on your father's passing. He has given you his passion for Jeeps. Although I also do not know you but I can relate to your passion, which is a good connect.

Please excuse me for a rather delayed reply, although I had read your comments a couple of days back. Replying on this forum makes me feel nice, alive and happy!

Please accept my humble "thank you" for your comments, you have made the whole effort worthwhile. It is nice to know that you as a target customer have appreciated all the meaningful nuances of the product for what it is and what it was always meant to be.

I have absolutely no hesitancy in saying that the real reason why I made the vehicle was that I gave myself the dreams of my childhood! How many vehicles in our country make your head turn, make you quietly smile? How many vehicles do Merc and Beemer guys come out of their cars to appreciate? That's what I wanted it to do. It is doing exactly what it was meant to do!

However, I must also mention here, two very pertinent comments which you have made (in your words):
"Whoever has a negative comment about the Thar is actually one who did not have the bloody guts to buy one".
"You are just too scared and so you justify with all kinds of things".

Now, please do me a favor and guess the following answers:
1. who was the "biggest negative contributor"?
2. substitute another word for "buy"!
3. guess what were those "all kinds of things"!

Please post your answers here, I am waiting anxiously to hear them. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 29th October 2013 at 23:34.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 11:46   #2793
BHPian

Quote:

However, I must also mention here, two very pertinent comments which you have made (in your words):
"Whoever has a negative comment about the Thar is actually one who did not have the bloody guts to buy one".

Behram Dhabhar
I disagree with the comments above. I have a Thar and do not have very nice things to say about it except for the engine (which was already there and did not have to be developed). I know a number of other Thar owners as well who curse the day they bought the Thar. I am surely one of the biggest negative commenters about the Thar.

I have recommended to a lot of people I know to not buy a Thar and they have bought a Gypsy and are very happy with their purchase!
manasm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:27   #2794
BHPian

Need Help on how to dismantle the Mahindra Thar Soft Top

I want to dismantle the soft top of the Mahindra Thar for a couple of weeks and then put it back on. All internet searches have been futile. Looking for step by step instructions or at least some basic guide lines. Had asked the Mahindra Workshop who quoted Rs.5000 to dismantle it. and another Rs.5000 to put it back on. It is not worth the cost therefore looking for DIY guide.
Thank You in advance for any and all help.
Old 30th October 2013, 16:48   #2795
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need Help on how to dismantle the Mahindra Thar Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by libre sito View Post
I want to dismantle the soft top of the Mahindra Thar for a couple of weeks and then put it back on. All internet searches have been futile. Looking for step by step instructions or at least some basic guide lines please. Had asked the Mahindra Workshop who quoted Rs.5000 to dismantle it and another Rs.5000 to put it back on. It is not worth the cost therefore looking for DIY guide. Thank You in advance for any and all help.
Dear libre sito - 5000 rupees? they must be joking, I'll do it for you for nothing, give me 5 rupees just for the heck of it, OK? HaHaHa! . All it needs is some basic tools (a size 10 spanner and a screwdriver will suffice) and a little mechanical ingenuity. Start from the back and work towards the front. The plastic buttons on top of the doors will break when you pry them off, they are easily available for 5 rupees a piece in any automobile shop as they are widely used in huge quantity in small people carrier vehicles which also have the soft top (the vendor is common). Samwagon has mentioned the procedure somewhere on this forum if I am not mistaken!

Dear Manas - hello after a long time. Please substitute another word for "buy", then you will understand. Please do comment to all the three questions. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 12:31   #2796
BHPian

Quote:
Dear libre sito - 5000 rupees? they must be joking, I'll do it for you for nothing, give me 5 rupees just for the heck of it, OK? HaHaHa! . All it needs is some basic tools (a size 10 spanner and a screwdriver will suffice) and a little mechanical ingenuity. Start from the back and work towards the front. The plastic buttons on top of the doors will break when you pry them off, they are easily available for 5 rupees a piece in any automobile shop as they are widely used in huge quantity in small people carrier vehicles which also have the soft top (the vendor is common). Samwagon has mentioned the procedure somewhere on this forum if I am not mistaken!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank You for the quick reply, the thing is im really not finding the right point or corner to start at. I looked a couple of times at the rear corner just after the door hinges and there seems to be some sort of clip attchmenty kind of things before i can get to the nuts and bolts so just wanted a little more guidance.
Looking forward to your response.

Regards.
Old 31st October 2013, 13:45   #2797
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You for the quick reply, the thing is im really not finding the right point or corner to start at. I looked a couple of times at the rear corner just after the door hinges and there seems to be some sort of clip attchmenty kind of things before i can get to the nuts and bolts so just wanted a little more guidance.
Looking forward to your response.

Regards.
Hi,
Try to refer video below:

Watch first 3/4 minutes and you will open your soft top almost 80% then try some DIY. BTW Don't go to ASC, any hood maker can do this better than ASC, approch auto rickshaw hood maker they are best at there job.
Thar4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 14:55   #2798

Quote:
Dear nakulnayak - first of all, please accept my condolences on your father's passing. He has given you his passion for Jeeps. Although I also do not know you but I can relate to your passion, which is a good connect.

Please excuse me for a rather delayed reply, although I had read your comments a couple of days back. Replying on this forum makes me feel nice, alive and happy!

Please accept my humble "thank you" for your comments, you have made the whole effort worthwhile. It is nice to know that you as a target customer have appreciated all the meaningful nuances of the product for what it is and what it was always meant to be.

I have absolutely no hesitancy in saying that the real reason why I made the vehicle was that I gave myself the dreams of my childhood! How many vehicles in our country make your head turn, make you quietly smile? How many vehicles do Merc and Beemer guys come out of their cars to appreciate? That's what I wanted it to do. It is doing exactly what it was meant to do!

Now, please do me a favor and guess the following answers:
1. who was the "biggest negative contributor"?
2. substitute another word for "buy"!
3. guess what were those "all kinds of things"!

Please post your answers here, I am waiting anxiously to hear them. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
sir, with all due respect i must say you are a crafty old fox. asking me to comment on the negative things:P .ill be the one with all these attacks hounding me . but seriously that part about guys in mercs and bmws admiring it is true.the biggest negative contributor might be manasm(no offence just observing ) and well they are all entitled to it. its just that they dont understand the emotion behind a jeep. in the next comment below this a certain member said that he suggests people buy a gypsy instead of a thar and they do. all i have to say is if a guy wants the classic unchanged grill and shape of a jeep there is no way he can be dissuaded by anyone.and if there are ppeople who could be dissuaded by gypsys boleros or anything they were never the target buyer. please dont think i dont like a better dashboard or a better a/c or suspensions . its just that after a wait of i dunno how many years of these makeshift rickety jeeps you finally get a company product and we complain? i dont have aNY KIND OF top at all on my jeep and in the rains it is soaked. im glad its a cheap dashboard which wont get spoilt or cheaply replaceable.my point is certain things dont suit certain people and the case will be the same. I WOULDNT DRIVE A YELLOW BEETLE IF VOLKSWAGEN GAVE IT TO ME FOR FREE. NOT WITH THAT LITTLE FLOWER VASE? i suppose the beetle will have enough macho guys who run down the feminine style . and honestly i think the price is fine. the gypsy is 1298 cc. i have no further comments. damn the offroading abilities. no one outruns me on tarmac and for that i need the thar. and manas i did not just buy a thar. it owns me. MOST GUYS NAME THEIR CARS. BETSY,MARY, HERBIE, RAMPIYARI etc. this ones no rampiyari...no siree. i call him SIVA
nakulnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 18:27   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakulnayak View Post
MOST GUYS NAME THEIR CARS. BETSY,MARY, HERBIE, RAMPIYARI etc. this ones no rampiyari...no siree. i call him SIVA
And I call mine the BLACK PANZER (after the German WWII tanks).

But my friend, that's besides the point! I have done 22000 on the odo till date and have absolutely no issues with the Thar. Love my jeep to the core. Have criss-crossed the country thrice from north to south; west to east, all by myself (solo trips), the Thar has earned my respect and even my trust. It's too easy for me to dismiss all the people speaking negatively about the product. Might even go to the extent to say that they don't understand the jeep thing et cetera. But the truth is, there are quite a few dissatisfied customers; perhaps with rotten apples who will even vouch and tell you that you are better off with even a maruti 800, but stay away from this one!

I have met a few of those. Seen their issues first hand. Scratched my head and wondered, how did they end up having the same vehicle from the same company in such a sorry state.

Mahindra, as an automobile company just have a long way to go!
Trueintrepid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:42   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
And I call mine the BLACK PANZER (after the German WWII tanks). !
And mine is Wild Bull ( "Valu" in marathi )

I too have zero complaint about vehicle itself after 11000 km but not happy with M&M company policies and their famous ASCs.

For simple brake issue they forced me to go long way and when I created big drama on FB and TBHP finally got the brake booster changed.

Now the endurance test for Thar will be Raid the Leh 2014.
Old 3rd November 2013, 08:43   #2801
BHPian

[quote=DHABHAR.BEHRAM;3280277][b][u] The plastic buttons on top of the doors will break when you pry them off, they are easily available for 5 rupees a piece in any automobile shop as they are widely used in huge quantity in small people carrier vehicles which also have the soft top (the vendor is common).

I had to wait for 3 months to get one of those hood clips from karnataka agencies mangalore (a mahindra dealer ) and you say its easily available ! Don't know from where!
Old 4th November 2013, 15:53   #2802
BHPian

Gonna be taking delivery of my new Thar in a couple of days, after a long long loan application process.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-upl_1.jpg

Its got the new updates like cross member, new ac controls etc.

I also noticed its got a brake booster change. The new one definitely looks like a double diaphragm booster to me, and its different from the one on the test drive vehicle (single diaphragm).

Made a note of the part numbers:
Brake booster on the new vehicle (sep 2013 manufactured): 0607AAB01751N

Brake booster on TD Vehicle: 0607AAB01210N

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-upl_3.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-upl_2.jpg

Both are made by KBX. Sorry forgot to take pics of the brake booster itself!

Last edited by datvichrox2 : 4th November 2013 at 16:07.
datvichrox2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 01:41   #2803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to dismantle the soft top of the Mahindra Thar for a couple of weeks and then put it back on. All internet searches have been futile. Looking for step by step instructions or at least some basic guide lines. Had asked the Mahindra Workshop who quoted Rs.5000 to dismantle it. and another Rs.5000 to put it back on. It is not worth the cost therefore looking for DIY guide.
Thank You in advance for any and all help.
5000! . Then repairing a puncture should cost you what? 7500? IMO, its a DIY job even for someone who is not 'spanner/screwdriver' inclined.

Its a simple job. I'll try to explain step by step.

Step 1: Open the rear zip, open all the Velcro inside the soft top.

Step 2: Open the Velcro and remove the rods shown in the figure.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_1884-copy.jpg

Step 3: Remove the bolts shown in the figure, on both left and right sides of the vehicle, and pull of the channel used to hold the soft-top down.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_1890-copy.jpg

Step 4: Remove the clip-on buttons on the both sides shown in figure.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-clip.jpg

Step 5: This is where you might need an extra hand. Pull of the soft-top from both the side channels, and bring the soft top to the front of the vehicle.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-side.jpg

Step 6: Pull off the top, off the front channel.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_1885-copy.jpg

Pic Credits: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-crde-4wd.html

DONE! Replacing is repeating the process reverse.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 06:52   #2804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Gonna be taking delivery of my new Thar in a couple of days, after a long long loan application process.

I also noticed its got a brake booster change. The new one definitely looks like a double diaphragm booster to me, and its different from the one on the test drive vehicle (single diaphragm).

Made a note of the part numbers:
Brake booster on the new vehicle (sep 2013 manufactured): 0607AAB01751N

Brake booster on TD Vehicle: 0607AAB01210N

Both are made by KBX. Sorry forgot to take pics of the brake booster itself!
Congratulations on your purchase.

You're right about the booster part number change. I'm getting the booster replaced and the new part no matches the one you mentioned on the new thar. The only thing that needs to be confirmed is whether it's any different than the older one or its just a parts bin refresh. Neither the M&M folks nor the ASC people talked about the new one being different and better than the legacy part.
Old 6th November 2013, 08:54   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Gonna be taking delivery of my new Thar in a couple of days, after a long long loan application process. Its got the new updates like cross member, new ac controls etc. I also noticed its got a brake booster change. The new one definitely looks like a double diaphragm booster to me, and its different from the one on the test drive vehicle (single diaphragm). Made a note of the part numbers: Brake booster on the new vehicle (sep 2013 manufactured): 0607AAB01751N Brake booster on TD Vehicle: 0607AAB01210N Both are made by KBX. Sorry forgot to take pics of the brake booster itself!
I have already got this booster on my Thar the description in invoice says tandem booster 26.99 TMC Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image93457770.jpg The brake is improved a lot, there is still some lag in first paddle but over all braking is good Can you please click some photos of vacuum tank as well?

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 6th November 2013 at 08:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks