Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 09:27   #2821
BHPian

Brake Upgrade with Modified Booster

After raising complaint in M&M Thar Facebook official page, My boosters were replaced with the " Modified Booster" from New Thar. Brakes are comparatively better than the old ones. The spongy loose feel in the pedal has disappeared and brakes are bit responsive. But IMHO I cannot claim this to be a perfect one as i still feel some lag. I think adding the vacuum reservoir from scorpio may make this setup better. Modified booster part no is 0607AA01751N. On the box packing it was printed a "Tandem" but no vehicle specifications.

The surprising thing was a premium service experience from SKS Mahindra Salem, an express service in 5hrs with utmost care and perfection with zero niggles . SKS GM Mr. Sangameshwaran and service manager Mr. Ritheesh, were at toes to get the job perfect as promised and promised to further investigate if not satisfied with this setup

Last edited by aah78 : 15th November 2013 at 21:48. Reason: Removed BOLD formatting.
Old 14th November 2013, 12:07   #2822
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Had a go with the Thar common rail 4by4. I am no jeeper and know nothing about driving off road.

What is good? It sure looks good. I was driving a borrowed black Thar with those little plastic extensions on the body. The Thar is a attention grabber. I pulled over at a road side tea shop and there were three chaps who are not automobile enthusiasts in any sense of it and they were kicked up. They were taking a peek inside, were curious on the non standard tires and alloys. The Thar struck a chord with someone who has no clue of what a Jeep is. This is my second time behind the wheel of a jeep. My first time was behind a relic Mahindra three speed based jeep which I could not handle for more than a few km due to excessive play in the steering wheel. This also happened to be a jeep I was travelling in for all the bandipur jungle trips and the driver of the jeep was at home with the steering play. From that relic jeep, the Thar is on another planet. It has a powerful engine that is smooth, the suspension is sorted and it feels like you can clock a good number of highway miles without getting tired and before you get to your off road camp. The super effective air conditioning takes care of the weather and there is a heater too. I was surprised to find a thermostat that worked for the air conditioning. The heater implementation is funny though and I am curious how it works. Is it sending hot air off radiator fluid or is there a electric heater core? The suspension chassis combination surprised. It had a nice balance of comfort and handling by jeep standards. The steering is not a accurate unit but I don't care about this in a Thar. The fact that it is easier to steer the thing matters the most.

Unfortunately; I found a lot of things that were far from good. Not something you expect when you have to cough up over 8lac. Are we buying the Thar because we don't have a choice? Much of the negatives have already been spoken about here and I am going to go over it again. I was not sitting in line with the steering wheel. It was a little to my left. I had a hard time with the gearbox. Seasoned jeep/Thar owners won't have a problem with this. The brakes were a nightmare and this is a 2013 Thar bought just a few months ago with under 3000km on the odometer. I felt that my legs were also positioned at an angle with relation to the pedals. There were noises creeping in from everywhere even when the road was smooth. The quality of materials on the inside are horrible. The ends of the dashboard had these leather look alike bits that were riveted in a very crude way to the dashboard plastic. I could not reach the after market JVC stereo. I can't for the life understand why the 4by4 stick, or whatever it is called, is deep down under the dash board. Don't you need easy access to this? If Mahindra could do only so much for the dashboard, I much rather stick to good old meters on metal, in the centre layout. This has a cleaner finish than a hopeless plastic dashboard. It is unbelievable how Mahindra can charge so much and get away with it. The Thar is product that also targets the lifestyle segment. We like Jeeps and it will be nice if Mahindra made it good on the inside. If it is going to cost over 8lac for what primarily feels like the engine, drive train, suspension bits, body and chassis on a Thar; I much rather do up an old jeep and add modern bits to it. I am sure it will cost half of what a Thar does. To me, the Thar feels like the biggest rip off ever.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 06:04   #2823
BHPian

So I was able to do the PDI on my Thar. Thanks to the fellow Thar owners for letting me know what to look for. Overall, it was in great shape. Updated model, no tears in the canvas, lights and a/c work fine, and the door locks work . Overall very happy.
Regarding the brakes:
I spoke to the head of service, who is the one who usually oversees all Thars that come in. He said that the new booster is a double diaphragm model (751N) which I'm guessing is the same as tandem, and that the vacuum tank is the same as before. He showed me an mHawk version and it was definitely larger than the Thar. So all in all, half the brake upgrade is done. Here are a couple pics. I was not able to get a pic of the vacuum tank as I had to take a call and leave.
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2013, 10:00   #2824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
So I was able to do the PDI on my Thar. Thanks to the fellow Thar owners for letting me know what to look for. Overall, it was in great shape. Updated model, no tears in the canvas, lights and a/c work fine, and the door locks work . Overall very happy.
Regarding the brakes:
I spoke to the head of service, who is the one who usually oversees all Thars that come in. He said that the new booster is a double diaphragm model (751N) which I'm guessing is the same as tandem, and that the vacuum tank is the same as before. He showed me an mHawk version and it was definitely larger than the Thar. So all in all, half the brake upgrade is done. Here are a couple pics. I was not able to get a pic of the vacuum tank as I had to take a call and leave.
Congrats again and waiting to see your Thar thread and the Thar post its list of mods planned.

Only other points to check:
  • With the Thar on a level surface check if there is any excessive tilt to the front or to any side(right/left). That way you can get it corrected before you take delivery.
  • Lift up the carpets and check for any open drainage holes and plug them including the ones in the lockable tool box.
  • Also check for any loose screws/nuts/washers under the carpets while doing the above and remove them. I found a few extra ones that Mahindra was kind enough to provide in case I needed them for anything .
sjcherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 16:49   #2825
BHPian

Guys, I am not sure if this is a stupid question or not, has anyone availed extended warranty on Thar?

I am about to complete a year and I contacted Mahindra only to hear that there is no extended warranty on Thar. It is good and bad too, considering it's an off-roader.

Good - we are free to play around with the vehicle without fear if warranty voids

Bad - what's the solution when engine or gear box shows sign of trouble after warranty? Pay out of pocket and fix it.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:56   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Guys, I am not sure if this is a stupid question or not, has anyone availed extended warranty on Thar?

I am about to complete a year and I contacted Mahindra only to hear that there is no extended warranty on Thar. It is good and bad too, considering it's an off-roader.

Good - we are free to play around with the vehicle without fear if warranty voids

Bad - what's the solution when engine or gear box shows sign of trouble after warranty? Pay out of pocket and fix it.
There is no extended warranty available on Thar from the day one. I too asked while booking.

We are paying for everything except labour from our pocket in warranty as well isn't it ?
Its Jeep thing.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 17:01   #2827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
There is no extended warranty available on Thar from the day one. I too asked while booking. We are paying for everything except labour from our pocket in warranty as well isn't it ? Its Jeep thing. Thanks, Vishal
It's a good thing in my opinion with a fine print situation. I agree it's Jeep thing. Just wanted to check if it stands true with addition of version 3.

Ok the mod starts then. The race dynamics tuning box from Fiesta is lying idle. Now I can send for reprogramming and get it installed. lol !!!
Old 15th November 2013, 21:39   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Congrats again and waiting to see your Thar thread and the Thar post its list of mods planned.

Only other points to check:
  • With the Thar on a level surface check if there is any excessive tilt to the front or to any side(right/left). That way you can get it corrected before you take delivery.
  • Lift up the carpets and check for any open drainage holes and plug them including the ones in the lockable tool box.
  • Also check for any loose screws/nuts/washers under the carpets while doing the above and remove them. I found a few extra ones that Mahindra was kind enough to provide in case I needed them for anything .
I've started writing the basics on the ownership post. I want to get possession of the car before I write too much. Anything I think or feel now will be totally different after driving it.

Thanks for the list. I forgot to mention I found a couple screws in the back compartment. It's so great that a big company like Mahindra doesn't forget the little things. What other car manufacturer is so thoughtful to leave extra screws for us customers.

I didn't check the suspension to see if its leaning, but I will absolutely do that before taking possession. I will be leaving it with Zulaika for a couple days after the registration to install the SA Roll Bar, front bumper with winch plate, and other accessories. Then straight to B.M. Lal to change the tires and new rims. Then a quick photoshoot .
showboat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 22:20   #2829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Some images of the brake parts. I have to say that the brakes feel really good, I don't see a reason to worry. Taken her upto speeds of 80 and slowing down is not a problem, no problems in stop-go traffic too. I don't exactly know what the vacuum tank looks like, so let me know if its not in these pics.
Dear datvichrox2 - the picture in your post shows tandem booster. So, finally it took 3 long years to do what was required to be done from day 1. During long downhill stretches, please indicate if you feel the brake pedal harden / brake pedal stroke lessen / brake effectiveness (bite) lessen, all three happening at the same time. This will be due to vacuum depletion, the booster needing more than what the vacuum pump can generate. If yes, a bigger volume vacuum tank is justified. I feel that a LOL smiley is perfectly justified here. 3 years! HaHaHa!

Dear Rajith - you are the architect of the brakes. You are the "customer champion". You helped so many customers. Thank you dude, I salute you! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 23:28   #2830
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Totally OT question with the complete freedom of not answering it if you don't feel like.

You had earlier, on multiple posts, mentioned your involvement in the testing and development of the Storme with TML, your current organization, but I hardly see any reply from you on any posts about the Storme, technical or otherwise.

Is there a reason behind it?

What is your opinion about the few issues that people have experienced in the Storme like its steering rack, its alignment and its clutch?
Old 16th November 2013, 10:09   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

During long downhill stretches, please indicate if you feel the brake pedal harden / brake pedal stroke lessen / brake effectiveness (bite) lessen, all three happening at the same time. This will be due to vacuum depletion, the booster needing more than what the vacuum pump can generate. If yes, a bigger volume vacuum tank is justified.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
So will the mhawk vacuum tank work its wonder with the new tandem booster? I'm asking since I have the booster upgrade done but the sinking pedal syndrome hasn't been fixed. So would the larger vacuum tank solve my issue?
Old 17th November 2013, 16:57   #2832
BHPian

Fellow Thar owners in Mumbai and DB sir, I am looking at competent place who would be able to take care of my Thar post warranty.

Apart from Brake issues, I haven't faced any major issue with the vehicle. I am assuming the jeep thing should be possible and sensible to maintain out side ASC. I agree with some of the comments that fluids are what need to be replaced to take care of this beast and it keeps running like a work horse.

Brake Upgrade - I spoke to ASC (NBS) about the Brake upgrade and told them that I have the list of parts and procedure also and what I need from them is just the expertise. Guess what, they still thinking and look clueless. DB sir, would you be kind enough to PM me or provide here details on competent garage to do the retrofit job.

On the brake, has anyone tried replacing rotors (Disc) to the higher size? We do try that on sedans. I am not sure if I missed any of that post on jeep.

I want to be 100% safe before I plug-in DieselTronics in that beast.

Following still are good to have and will take time
1. Tires and Alloy or offroad steel rims
2. Auxiliary lights (Fog and types)
3. Anything that will make 10 to 20% difference in the ride

I do not have any intention of taking soft top and rear bench off, as my opinion is it dilutes the jeep character and will lose utility that I have currently.
Old 18th November 2013, 19:16   #2833
BHPian

Good to read up here amoungst fellow Thar owners
I bought my beast in April 2010. I sold my Toyota KZT 3L 4X4 to get the THar. I have no issues for the price. My THAR has never let me down. In the last 2 x competitions I finished 3rd and 2nd, kicking most of the big name brands bye-bye :-)
One issue I would appreciate some guidance on is the 4x4 front hub auto-lockers
Is this a common fault that it does not unlatch itself. ? TWICE now I have had the left from wheel literally being held on by the disc brake caliper !!!, both axle locknuts off, circlip broke into pieces. Is there something special that we could do to ensure the auto -locker mechanism is free ?? Would going into reverse for 1 meter help to make sure the auto-locker has dissengaged ? Is the 2014 change , having constant engaged 4x4 a good thing ?? Can I get a workshop manual with exploded view or assembly drawing of the front hubs for the 2014 type hub ?? And lastly, I must SALUTE Behram Dhabhar. Sir you are an honorable man. You are a man of your word. You followed through on the deal I set up and my parts were delivered to South Africa in record time. Men like you are far and few between, rare species :-) Just keen to sort this front hub lock unlock mechanism out real soon. Is there another part we can fit , that allows MANUAL hub locking. I don't mind climbing out to lock ... Have a great day further.
eagle888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 19:30   #2834
BHPian

Its been great reading all the posts here. I bought my THAR in April 2010
It has given me nothing but constant fun
It is reliable and kicks butt in competitions, finishing 3rd and 2 nd in my last two competitions

I have one issue I am battling to get over
Left front auto 4x4 locker
It has caused the left front stub axle lock nuts to come loose whilst driving !!

How can I overcome this ? I hear that the 2014 THAR has fixed 4x4 front axles ??
Can I get a workshop manual PDF page of the new assembly?
Can I buy something and make it a manual engagement ?
And lastly I need to say to Behram Dhabhar , You are an honorable man, man of your work. Thank you for the parts delivery I ordered back in 2011.

Who can guide me on this 4x4 auto lock engage please , appreciated in advance
Old 20th November 2013, 18:59   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
The process is very simple but can't guaranty success

1. Raise your complaint about brakes with M&M customer care.
2. They will give you appointment at your nearest ASC.
3. ASC people will test your brake, they will do the documented steps.
4. If you are not satisfied then raise complaint again till you get call directly from M&M company person.
5. There is one role CCM who is responsible to look after all the matters at ASC. He will test your vehicle and will do the documented steps again.

If you successfully convince them about your brake issue you will get the booster changed.

You can read story behind replacement of my Thar's booster here

Thanks,
Vishal
Thanks Vishali for the details.

I wrote to the customer care and their VP a couple of times, post which Mahindra has agreed for a brake booster replacement. Anything in specific i should be looking out for during the upgrade and while checking the brakes post the upgrade?

Most Viewed