Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 09:44   #2851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSub View Post
Hello! I have had a Thar since October 2012 and have enjoyed owning and driving it thus far. It has given me no major problems so far apart from very minor issues such as the front metal roof cover hitting the targa band (noise) and such. And of course the patience required to deal with ASC stupidity and rank ignorance when it comes to the service and maintenance required for the Thar. More recently my rear suspension has started to squeak and also gives out a cracking/rattling noise especially when turning the vehicle on elevated surfaces (such as backing out of the driveway and onto the road). Numerous visits to IG ASC at Whitefield has only resulted in a temporary fix. The squeaks and cracks are back after a week or so. I have observed other Thars don't make this noise. Do any of you Thar owners face this problem of squeaks and rattles from your rear leaf springs? If so what did you do to fix this issue for good? Will cleaning the leaf springs and using WD-40 help? But this is again a temporary fix I think. Thank you for your assistance!
Hi, I've got the new Thar with updated features. I have heard this squeaking noise in the rear suspension in some vehicles with the leaf spring system. Especially after monsoons or off roading sessions. I recommend replacing your existing Leaf Springs with Carbon Leafs which I have done on my Thar. Not only will there be no noise , but your drive will become fantastically comfortable & smooth.
Avigo71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 13:44   #2852

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avigo71 View Post
Hi, I've got the new Thar with updated features. I have heard this squeaking noise in the rear suspension in some vehicles with the leaf spring system. Especially after monsoons or off roading sessions. I recommend replacing your existing Leaf Springs with Carbon Leafs which I have done on my Thar. Not only will there be no noise , but your drive will become fantastically comfortable & smooth.
Thanks Avigo71! I have considered changing the springs to the carbon composite variety. That seems to be the permanent fix! In the meanwhile I got the underbody washed and the springs lubed, this morning. It's fine for now but will start squeaking in a week or two.

I have noticed most Thars (in Bangalore) run on the original factory leaf springs and are very quiet. I wonder if the owners just stick to a regular underbody-wash-and-lube schedule? On another note, the ASC told me not to get the leaf springs greased or use oil/diesel spray on the underbody as the Thar does not require it unlike older Jeeps and that it tracks more dirt and the squeaks get louder.

I'm thinking carbon composite fibers are the way to go! Not cheap though. I think it costs Rs 25,000 to Rs 30,000.
Old 16th December 2013, 14:11   #2853
BHPian

Quote:
... I recommend replacing your existing Leaf Springs with Carbon Leafs which I have done on my Thar. Not only will there be no noise , but your drive will become fantastically comfortable & smooth.
Hi Avigo, could you throw a bit more light on the Carbon Leafs? I own a Thar and it's frustrating to drive when the road is bad and when there isn't enough "load" in the vehicle.
I'm interested in knowing the following:
1) where did you source it from? Is it available in Mahindra authorized service centers?
2) how much did it cost?
3) is the drive good even with one or two persons in the vehicle? Thanks!
Old 16th December 2013, 17:54   #2854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSub View Post
Thanks Avigo71! I have considered changing the springs to the carbon composite variety. That seems to be the permanent fix! In the meanwhile I got the underbody washed and the springs lubed, this morning. It's fine for now but will start squeaking in a week or two. I have noticed most Thars (in Bangalore) run on the original factory leaf springs and are very quiet. I wonder if the owners just stick to a regular underbody-wash-and-lube schedule? On another note, the ASC told me not to get the leaf springs greased or use oil/diesel spray on the underbody as the Thar does not require it unlike older Jeeps and that it tracks more dirt and the squeaks get louder. I'm thinking carbon composite fibers are the way to go! Not cheap though. I think it costs Rs 25,000 to Rs 30,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
Hi Avigo, could you throw a bit more light on the Carbon Leafs? I own a Thar and it's frustrating to drive when the road is bad and when there isn't enough "load" in the vehicle. I'm interested in knowing the following: 1) where did you source it from? Is it available in Mahindra authorized service centers? 2) how much did it cost? 3) is the drive good even with one or two persons in the vehicle? Thanks!
The Carbon Leaf Springs are from Arc Industries in Ichalkaranji (Maharashtra). The owner is Mr. Deepak Pawar 09422047019 www.arcindustries.co.in.
They will ship you at your doorstep. They cost between 32k to 40k depending in your requirement. The ride quality is simply unbelievable! The Thar is a totally different vehicle since I've put them on. It drives like a car with independent coils at the back. You have to sit in it to believe it. I have converted my Thar to a 3 seater so it's always light & still it works beautifully. They give you tougher leafs if your requirement is for a higher load capacity.
Avigo71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 22:25   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
The Carbon Leaf Springs are from Arc Industries in Ichalkaranji (Maharashtra). The owner is Mr. Deepak Pawar 09422047019 www.arcindustries.co.in. They will ship you at your doorstep. They cost between 32k to 40k depending in your requirement. The ride quality is simply unbelievable! The Thar is a totally different vehicle since I've put them on. It drives like a car with independent coils at the back. You have to sit in it to believe it. I have converted my Thar to a 3 seater so it's always light & still it works beautifully. They give you tougher leafs if your requirement is for a higher load capacity.
what about the body roll with a softer suspension setup? And have you tried serious off roading with the new leaf springs?
Old 16th December 2013, 23:35   #2856
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
what about the body roll with a softer suspension setup? And have you tried serious off roading with the new leaf springs?
Guys, you could get more information on the composite fibre lag springs here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...f-roading.html
Old 17th December 2013, 09:28   #2857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
Strange as it may sound, the body roll feeling of the Thar has reduced for me! No I haven't tried "serious off roading" but I did quite a bit of slush, water ponds, mud trails which were quite tough ( a few places where my friends Fortuner gave up!) I also drove quite fast on "kachcha" roads in mountains where the car really was jumping around a bit. No problem at all!
Old 18th December 2013, 01:09   #2858
BHPian

Just sending pics of the Carbon Leaf Springs. The black portion is the rubber cladding for off roading.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image182052792.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image3907007152.jpg  

Old 18th December 2013, 15:40   #2859
BHPian

Guys, a quick question, what is the use of engine oil additives?

My Thar is in service at infinity Autolink Mumbai. The service advisor was hell bent on adding engine additives to the oil. I kept saying no and told him if not in schedule I will not accept.

Can someone enlighten me?

Last service done was for following

Engine oil change, filter change, transmission oil, differential oil.
Old 18th December 2013, 15:51   #2860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Guys, a quick question, what is the use of engine oil additives?

My Thar is in service at infinity Autolink Mumbai. The service advisor was hell bent on adding engine additives to the oil. I kept saying no and told him if not in schedule I will not accept.

Can someone enlighten me?

Last service done was for following

Engine oil change, filter change, transmission oil, differential oil.
Please do not add any additives, whatever detergent or cleaning agent required is already present in the recommended oil.

It is obvious that your service center had a vested interest in insisting on additives not recommended by Mahindra.
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 16:47   #2861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Please do not add any additives, whatever detergent or cleaning agent required is already present in the recommended oil. It is obvious that your service center had a vested interest in insisting on additives not recommended by Mahindra.
Thank you sir. The service advisor tried to scare me with FE ghost. I said I am ok with whatever I get :-)

The other thing he tried selling was silencer underbody coat. The service center I am trying now is another service center than regular. He did not know that the complete underbody coating was done in first check up. So on face of it doesn't look like I will have happy experience with these folks, however I will still reserve the opinion.

This weekend I am travelling to Ratnagiri for some land work. It is in the interior part of Ratnagiri and I know I will be requiring to engage 4H. Let's hope the service doesn't mess up anything. That will be my first off-roading not out of leisure but work.
Old 19th December 2013, 14:32   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear datvichrox2 - the picture in your post shows tandem booster. So, finally it took 3 long years to do what was required to be done from day 1. During long downhill stretches, please indicate if you feel the brake pedal harden / brake pedal stroke lessen / brake effectiveness (bite) lessen, all three happening at the same time. This will be due to vacuum depletion, the booster needing more than what the vacuum pump can generate. If yes, a bigger volume vacuum tank is justified. I feel that a LOL smiley is perfectly justified here. 3 years! HaHaHa!

Dear Rajith - you are the architect of the brakes. You are the "customer champion". You helped so many customers. Thank you dude, I salute you! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks for the tip. So far I haven't got a chance to test this. Only short downhill stretches like entering basements of malls. No problem with that. I will keep this in mind. The handbrake is completely useless. I hope it can be adjusted.

I removed the canopy today completely by myself. It took me about an hour, to also remove the frame.

I completely enjoyed the ride today with the top down!

Keeping it like this till tomorrow, as I'm planning to get the hyderabad hardtop this weekend.

The AC was chilling even with the top down! Maybe because it was already quite cool in Bangalore these days. Didn't face pollution problems if I kept the windows raised and the fan blowing.

1000kms about to complete and I am completely enjoying the vehicle!
Mileage so far is around 10kmpl, all in city, with ac for 50%
Old 19th December 2013, 19:36   #2863
BHPian

Praveen, of our Bangalore Thar group came out with this amazing 'Warning' that he suggests is affixed to each Thar before delivery.

I thought it's so hilarious (and true) that it needs to be shared on this forum!

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-brakes-warning.jpg
cpbopanna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 22:44   #2864
BHPian

Now please pardon me if this has been discussed earlier too but seriously would like to know that how many more takers mahindra can have if they make thar a more decent product in terms of safety features by lets say adding ABS with traction control and a couple of airbags in the front. Even if they raise the price by another lac it wouldnt attract more buyers with a good quality product.
Old 20th December 2013, 23:41   #2865
Senior - BHPian

Our man Bimbra is now stocking and fitting these carbon fibre leaf springs from ex stock in sector 18 Gurgaon.

But listen to Dhabhar Bhai, keep your Thars stock it will help in the long run.

Most Viewed