Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2014, 12:15   #2956
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

I have had my Mahindra Thar since 2010, bought new. I have never had any problem like this. I recon check your rims and tyres, for balancing
Old 5th May 2014, 10:51   #2957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
Is your issue sorted? And, more important, where do you get your jeep repaired?
I go to Sireesh Auto , Silk Board, Bangalore.
Old 6th May 2014, 00:40   #2958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
PS: This has become my daily ride now, the Duster and Brio are gathering dust. Its actually soundless, absolutely soundless except the wind noise, even on roughs.
This one sentence alone from a Thar daily user (as well as the sales figures of course) is vindication for Behramji, and a lot of others on the forum, who have been arguing from the beginning that the Thar could be a great daily drive. Especially considering the sheer volume of ridicule, condescending hate speech and vitriol that we have had to endure from several members of the hard core jeeper crowd (some of whom even ended up buying the Thar)

Last edited by vivekgk : 6th May 2014 at 00:42.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 11:38   #2959
BHPian

Even i was one of the skeptical bunch, i still remember seeing the thar at the dealership as soon as it was launched and thinking about the price being so ridiculous, fit and finish so poor, the offset steeering wheel, etc. and thinking 'never'...
But reading about the thar on this forum, the threads by khan_sultan, manveet, Cpbopanna, amolpol, etc and having mr dhabhar behram as a ready reckoner for any jeep trouble has been FANTASTIC!!
Reading about all the fun these guys were having playing around with the amazingly customizable platform (you cant dream of doing all that in any modern car without affecting reliability) & the amazing pictures, i also joined the bandwagon...
It has been amazing, the searching for a used thar, getting it, modifying it, fixing it, has been a lot of fun.
The driving experience is really something you don't expect... it surpasses all you can imagine.. great power, great comfort (front seats) and the fact that no one messes with you on the road..
The small issues one can live with, the driving experience makes up for it.. Though i wish the service centres were better.. on the other hand, this website does make up for it. THANKS A LOT TEAM-BHP
Old 11th May 2014, 13:49   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
....This one sentence alone from a Thar daily user (as well as the sales figures of course) is vindication for Behramji, and a lot of others on the forum, who have been arguing from the beginning that the Thar could be a great daily drive.
For someone who loves jeep, using THAR as a daily drive is not much of an issue at all with front IFS ,A/C, PS...provided the THAR delivered to him is a 'good' piece. As an admirer of THAR, my main concern is regarding the good amount of inconsistency/quality check related issues in the vehicles manufactured/ delivered. Some of the vehicles have some regular major issues and i am not referring to the minor ones which can be rectified or one can livebear with. If one is lucky he can cherish the jeep experience and if not then he is bound to be frustrated because it is a 8L+ vehicle at the end of the day. The configuration in its present form is more than ok to live with (actually great for old jeep owners like me) provided this issue is taken care of.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:25   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
For someone who loves jeep, using THAR as a daily drive is not much of an issue at all with front IFS ,A/C, PS...provided the THAR delivered to him is a 'good' piece. As an admirer of THAR, my main concern is regarding the good amount of inconsistency/quality check related issues in the vehicles manufactured/ delivered. Some of the vehicles have some regular major issues and i am not referring to the minor ones which can be rectified or one can bear with. If one is lucky he can cherish the jeep experience and if not then he is bound to be frustrated because it is a 8L+ vehicle at the end of the day. The configuration in its present form is more than ok to live with (actually great for old jeep owners like me) provided this issue is taken care of.
True. Indian car makers still haven't got down the art of making a niggle-free car right. Every product from the Tata or Mahindra stable has its own set of issues that make it just unappealing enough for buyers to question the value offered. Sure, the Thar doesn't make sense when compared to the other offerings in it's price range, but then, you can't compare a Thar to an ordinary car, you have to compare it to a jeep.

I've always loved Jeeps, but disliked the fact that they were so antiquated when it came to things like steering, brakes, lights, ride and basic creature comforts. It's like a bullet, I suppose. A friend of mine got an old bullet (the one with the 'heavy' crank, big thump and gears on the wrong side), and spent almost a year building it into the bike he wanted it to be. The result looks awesome, gets awed looks and interested queries wherever he takes it, and adds greatly to the feel good factor. But I know that he is a bit dissatisfied with the way the old beast runs. It's loud, but not that fast (compared to a newer bull), has bad brakes, needs regular visits to local mech to sort some niggle (usually brakes/electricals/valves) and gulps petrol like it's still Rs. 3 a litre. Fact is, he doesn't get much time to actually ride the thing as much as he wants, due to his 9-5 job and other commitments.

With the Thar, even with the niggles, I feel that I would be able to spend more time using it than getting something fixed at the workshops. Like buying a new bullet - Sure some of the pedigree is gone from the new bikes, and the reliability ans service isn't quite there, but there's no arguing the fact that it's comfier, faster and more sensible. The Thar maybe a not so great execution of a great concept, but it's the only Jeep option in this price range that makes sense.
Old 12th May 2014, 22:54   #2962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
...but it's the only Jeep option in this price range that makes sense.
Precisely the reason why it sells, it is the only new jeep option irrespective of any price range, whether makes sense or not. And this is also the assurance Mahindra has that they don't need to do any improvements on the quality checks or capability of the A.S.S. or similar issues!
Kandisa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 18:15   #2963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The driving experience is really something, it surpasses all you can imagine.
Dear a_nan - thanks for using the words "surpasses" and "imagine" in your above quote.

Two words, "EXPECTATIONS SURPASSED", OR "ES" mean a lot to me in my life. Therefore, your above words are very valuable to me. Thank you very much, I am indeed grateful to you. Enjoy your vehicle! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 18th May 2014, 01:54   #2964
BHPian

I bought my THAR brand new in April 2010. For four yrs now it has exceeded my wildest dreams. The value I got for the price is well worth it. It has never let me down and to this day it turns heads wherever I go. People walk up and inspect my Thar and ask a load of questions. I proudly tell them it is the most exciting and rewarding vehicle I have ever owned. They are impressed with the positioning within top 3 in my last 2 competitions. THAR forever. Thank you Mahindra for a GRAND vehicle...my family love it. I must add that my THAR was the first Thar to scale Sani Pass to visit the highest pub in Africa. ��....and on my 8th or 9th trip up the pass a few weeks ago, I towed a 1 ton Isuzu bakkie to the summit, after finding the driver stranded halfway up the pass... THAR = TOUGH HOT AGGRESSIVE ROCKSTER ��

Last edited by eagle888 : 18th May 2014 at 02:02. Reason: added info about Sani towing
eagle888 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 18:34   #2965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
I bought my THAR brand new in April 2010. For four years now, it has exceeded my wildest dreams.
Dear eagle888 - hello again and thanks for your quote above, which notches off one more score of "ES" for me, so now it is "ES+". By the way, did you know that your black vehicle is the twin of MH01V521? They were EP5 and EP6. I am posting two pictures of your actual vehicle before it went to South Africa. Enjoy the performance!!! .

Dear all - I am getting PMs asking me what is "ES". I thought of clarifying but then I think it is better that we leave the explanation unsaid. It is best that way. Why clarify what is "ES" when it has become "ES+" now? HaHaHa. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-34-th-front-copy.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-123.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 22:23   #2966
Senior - BHPian

Dhabhar Sir,

Something's wrong with the first pic (see those contraptions on the bumper and the horrendous rear view mirror work). The second pic reminds me of discussions we had with 'Raavan' regarding spot welds.

I still remember those alloy wheels as well.

Spike
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:26   #2967
BHPian

Mr Behram,
The Thar is full of surprises, and thank YOU! I can't imagine having had to buy an mm540 or commander instead of this.
And since i have managed to catch your attention...
My handbrake just doesnt work well, whenever i use it, its really hard, then, it gets jammed and i end up having to get under the jeep and fix it.
The pulley and cable being exposed below tends to get jammed in rains. Is there a fix for this or should i just not use it / remove it altogether.
I dont like to turn the engine off and on frequently (the 1 minute idling rule) but it becomes a hassle every time i have to open the gate..
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:17   #2968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dhabhar Sir, something's wrong with the first pic (see those contraptions on the bumper and the horrendous rear view mirror work). The second picture reminds me of discussions we had with 'Raavan' regarding spot welds. I still remember those alloy wheels as well. Spike
Dear Pratheesh - those contraptions on the bumper and the horrendous rear view mirror work are morphed images, the real vehicle obviously does not have them, we would never release drawings for something so terrible and it would never pass ARAI! I remember "Raavan", he is my good friend, he is also a very decent guy doing his job, but like many others, he would never have imagined that this thingy would actually sell, and sell better than some of their other models, which is a reality, data says so! Those sissy alloy wheels spoil the no-nonsense image completely.

The trick is to know the critical path which will make a vehicle platform sell successfully. We did 16" wheels from day one, black interiors, attractive canopy, factory fitted AC, power to blow peoples' imagination away @ 140+ kmph, handling as if on rails etc, but we did not (or could not) do three things. I want the fender extensions in shining black color, I want the original MM540 (aka CJ5) ORVMs with Indian parts (they are readily used elsewhere so ARAI certificate will be available) and I don't want the sissy reflective tape on the front bumper as this is an M1 vehicle. These three changes will transform the vehicle looks completely. Oh come on now, is such imagination so difficult to imagine? I guess in today's times it is sacrilege to even imagine, let alone do!

I know that I am flying off again, but then, do you remember our strategic intent in making MH01V447? Just imagine, superjeeps on Indian roads! Kya yaar!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 22nd May 2014 at 12:19.
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:51   #2969
BANNED

DB Sir please help me out. The ride in the rear is quite bumpy, I am confused between the CLF from ARC industries and the Double Shackle set up. My useage is 70% onroad and 30%off road. Have read that CLF can break in an OTR and the shackles are unsafe will going down hill in OTR excursions. Your valuable able inputs will help a lot of us who are in this debacle.
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:44   #2970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
I bought my THAR brand new in April 2010. For four yrs now it has exceeded my wildest dreams...
Yes you should thank Mahindra for the THAR and also you should be lucky to get the 'export' model of THARs which should be better in terms of the smaller things.

Quote:
...My handbrake just doesnt work well...
That is quite a frequent issue if you have browsed around the forum. I think you should just ignore it by accepting that handbrakes can't work in jeeps! Will love to hear a solution though from DB.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks