Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2014, 00:26   #2971
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Solution to ineffective handbrake found here in South Africa. We found 2 issues. 1) Cable routing to rear wheels was strange, and we simply redid that. But most important was the position where the cables are fastened to the body, just behind the handbrake lever, in the cabin. Those plates actually bend due to the force when pulling the handbrake up. We installed thick, 5mm plates. Handbrake if since ...good
eagle888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 16:05   #2972
BANNED

My thars right tyre is 1.5 inches outside the line of the fender while that on the left is only 0.5inches outside. My vehicle has run 9764kms without any evidence of uneven tyre ware. It rides well as well except for some pulling to the right during hard braking. Is a issue to be concerned about can it be rectified. The people at my ASC have refused to touch it and told me to leave it as it is. Any help and advice from "THE" expert or the others would be welcome. I am driving down 600 kms on 30may with wife n kids from aurangabad n they all really enjoy a ride in the thar. Looking forward to many more such trips.
Old 24th May 2014, 00:58   #2973
BANNED

Photos to help you understand what i mean to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_20140520_171215c.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_20140520_171230.jpg  

Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 18:10   #2974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
My thars right tyre is 1.5 inches outside the line of the fender while that on the left is only 0.5inches outside.
Dear Drlmtukkar - this one is so simple (but not for you to do)! Take the complete vehicle on "Zeiss", complete answer will come out in around 4 hours. By the way, Zeiss is more accurate and much more costly than you can ever imagine. There are very few organizations in the country who have these tremendous capabilities! I hope you got it!

For you, ASS needs to cross verify the locating points in Y (transverse) axis. This should not happen in a normal production vehicle.

Dear a-nan - (you've got my attention alright Sir!). The handbrake is a victim of "standardization"! The rear axle assembly "part number" is common with another model. Handbrake cable is the "child part" of the rear axle. Therefore, the axle is a "pick and fit" part on the assembly line. As the base vehicle "happens to have a longer wheelbase" (ahem! ), therefore, the "longer" handbrake cable is made to twist and turn all over the place to accommodate it in the Thar. Then, you see, it meets ARAI also (ahem! )! It would be very inappropriate and impolite to disturb the Gods by rewriting the Ramayana + Mahabharata + Upanishads? I hope you got it! HaHaHa!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 23:47   #2975
BANNED

BD sir I DID NOT GET IT.Whats "ZEISS". I dont have the slightest of a clue whats need to be done. Please guide me through this or can it be handled at a ASC in PUNE/BANGALORE/AURANGABAD OR THERE ABOUTS. Is it very expensive job to get done.
Old 28th May 2014, 23:11   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaidhakim View Post
Attachment 1216599

Attachment 1216600

Attachment 1216601

Pics put up for the experts to judge the issue and help!!
Hi Obaid,

Personally like the bumpers and the set up.

This looks much better and would turn more heads than the santro xing. Im sure had this vehicle been around earlier, would have sent a dont mess with me message in Raghuvanshi.
Old 31st May 2014, 16:57   #2977
BHPian

Saved quiet some money by expanding the OEM fenders on the front wheels. After getting the new set of HRS alloys and Yokohama tyres of stock specs there was still visible negative offset, something like Drlmtukkar's photographs in the above frames.
Hence removed the fenders, used fibreglass to expand them in width. Used hard card boards on the stock fenders to increase dice width and then fibreglass with hardners. Now no more mud on the doors on daily drives.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-sikkim-may14.jpg

Last edited by himadrimondal : 31st May 2014 at 17:05.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 18:29   #2978
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Saved quiet some money by expanding the OEM fenders on the front wheels.
Good idea. I end up getting slush inside the jeep due to the tyres jutting out beyond the fenders. Can you please post a close up so I can see the design.
Old 1st June 2014, 11:00   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Can you please post a close up so I can see the design.
Ok, so this is how it goes, Thar fender extention.

1. Remove the original OEM front fenders. They will be screwed to the body. Buy flexible good quality cardboard, available in photo framing shops. Cut 4 inch strips and feviquick them to the fenders on the outside as shown. Make sure two inch of the cardboard sticks on the fender, and two inch sticks out of the fender. This will give a 2 inch extension of the fenders.
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-fender-ext.jpg

2. Use fiber dust with hardener as the first layer, will give a better finish on top followed by fiber glass sheets and hardener. Put at least two layers of fiberglass sheets on the entire fender to make it sturdy. Or else take it to the professionals, workshops where fiberglass statues are made. They will take one hour max.

3. The extended fender does not get fixed to the same screws on the car body. Since the new extended fenders are heavy, make them sit on a sheet metal plate. Curve a 6 inches wide sheet metal neatly according to the front wheel well with around 4 inches protruding out. Get this fixed to the body with bolts. Then place the fender on the sheet metal. Grind finish the edges to give it a uniform finish with no gaps between the fender and body.
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-fender-mod-1.jpg

4. Extending the mudguard. The mudguard needs to be moved out a bit to get aligned to the new fenders.
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-fender-mod-2.jpg

5. Paint the fenders and the sheet metal matte black. You can also add a rubber bead between the fender and car body to get a better finish.
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-fender-final.jpg

Last edited by himadrimondal : 1st June 2014 at 11:05.
himadrimondal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 11:29   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Saved quiet some money by expanding the OEM fenders on the front wheels. After getting the new set of HRS alloys and Yokohama tyres of stock specs there was still visible negative offset, something like Drlmtukkar's photographs in the above frames.
Hence removed the fenders, used fibreglass to expand them in width. Used hard card boards on the stock fenders to increase dice width and then fibreglass with hardners. Now no more mud on the doors on daily drives.

Attachment 1245673

I am a fan of the Mahindra Thar. I would like to have it as the second car I buy. Could you please guide me on the price, upgradation cost, where from to buy in Kolkata etc. Any suggestions would be welcome from a proud owner. Thanks!
Old 1st June 2014, 11:31   #2981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Drlmtukkar - this one is so simple (but not for you to do)! Take the complete vehicle on "Zeiss", complete answer will come out in around 4 hours. By the way, Zeiss is more accurate and much more costly than you can ever imagine. There are very few organizations in the country who have these tremendous capabilities! I hope you got it!

For you, ASS needs to cross verify the locating points in Y (transverse) axis. This should not happen in a normal production vehicle.

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,you need type in a language,that can be understood by a layman like me..
What you just wrote sounds like Greek to me.
Old 13th June 2014, 14:55   #2982
Senior - BHPian

I have a question about Thar (perhaps about other soft top vehicles like Gypsy too).
Why is the soft top not like clothes? In the sense that you can remove it easily at will in few minutes, and the same about putting it on? And at the same time making it secure enough so that it does fly away or lets the pouring rain come in.

Is it physically not possible to design that way? (I mean the mounting points nuts/bolts on the frame, the clips/hitches on the soft top)

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th June 2014 at 14:59.
Old 13th June 2014, 17:07   #2983
BHPian

Thanks eagle888 and Mr behram for clarifying the handbrake issue, i understood both the problem and the reason its happened..
For now though, my handbrake cable has snapped and i am not unduly worried since the rest wheels can't get jammed anymore..
Will probably take this project up at my FNG when convenient..
Meanwhile, i have got a south africa roll bar fixed, the price has gone up a bit and it cost me 15k including parts and labour. The guys at india garage mentioned having fit it in other thars and that this roll bar was way better than the one sold off the shelf..
I have also got myself a front facing seat from rogeotech now that the bench seats are gone. Having researched a lot on this forum, came to the conclusion that this was the best bet!
Am on my way to making this a great ride from a good ride :-)
Old 22nd June 2014, 20:31   #2984
BHPian

Hi,

I have finally decided to get myself a Thar!! Its not done yet, I have to first sell my Polo and then want to pick up a well loved used Thar.

So please any of you Thar enthusiasts out there in Bangalore who are wanting to pass on their beast, please let me know as I am looking for one.

Thanks
Shireesh
Old 2nd July 2014, 23:55   #2985

Thar CRDe - to buy or wait for new model?

I have been an avid follower of this forum and deeply enjoy reading your passionate discussions about various issues and modifications. In more ways than one, its encouraging to see folks still passionate about something over and above the mediocrity laced consumption we see around these days.

Well, I am almost decided to buy a new Thar CRDe for my side trips. I wanted to ask y'all about a few essential modifications and where to get those done from in or around Chandigarh?

First question is Tyres. These two come up the most?
- Maxxis Bighorn MT
- Yokohama Geolandar MT

What are the pros and cons of these tyres and how about size, 255 or stick with 245? How about AT or MT? (90 percent of my driving will be on paved roads, 10 percent on country roads, barely any off roading).

Next, bull-bar and lights. Anyone want to share experience on what is best and practical for urban use?

I want to spend minimal time with mechanics (like some of my off-road loving friends) and have a simple needs of an aesthetically appealing car that is butch to look at and fun to drive at 200-300 kms drives for two people.

Lastly, there are rumors that the Thar is being redone and a new model codenamed 401 is about to hit the market. Does anyone have any input on that and would you wait to get a new Thar or is it just rumors?

Thank you all for the great forum

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks