Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 11:16   #3166
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
In fact a search on Google for "Bilstein + F4.BE3.6548.MO" just throws up the post on another thread, the name of an export-import firm in Chennai, and a bunch of sketchy Indonesian websites!
Bilstiens sold in India by the official importer are exorbitantly priced. Hence, I suspect they created a new part number just for the Indian Thar version. I don't see Bilstien doing major R&D and developing a new shocks for such a low volume product. Your best bet is to find the bolt type, compressed and extended length of the stock shocks and buy something say for similar wight vehicle like Wrangler 2 Door or Xterra etc. I bought Bilstiens in the USA for my MM550. It was for a CJ5 Jeep. Cost me about 60 USD each with free shipping from shock ware house. Keep in mind that TSA will not let you carry it on a passenger flight from USA to India. You will need to send it by courier/cargo.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 17:14   #3167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Bilstiens sold in India by the official importer are exorbitantly priced. Hence, I suspect they created a new part number just for the Indian Thar version. I don't see Bilstien doing major R&D and developing a new shocks for such a low volume product.
Thanks 4x4Addict, I suspect you're right about the ol' switcheroo by the importer, which is truly frustrating ... Then again, they have a business to run, and a very small niche potential customer base, so I can understand where they're coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Your best bet is to find the bolt type, compressed and extended length of the stock shocks and buy something say for similar wight vehicle like Wrangler 2 Door or Xterra etc.
This is indeed sage advice. Would appreciate the help of fellow Team BHP-ians to identify the following on the stock Thar CRDe shocks:
(1) Bolt type
(2) Compressed length
(3) Extended length

The official figure for the curb weight of a stock Thar is 1,750 kg, which is similar to that of the current model Jeep Wrangler JK (which weighs in at 3,785 lbs., or 1,717 kg).

Once we crowd-source all relevant parameters on this forum, we should indeed be able to identify the correct Bilstein part number... which can potentially benefit all of us who want to carry out this mod...
Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 19:42   #3168
Distinguished - BHPian

A new adventure edition launched -

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-1897666_10152423425393837_2795211760516846998_n.jpg

Quote:
Features:
• New Java brown colour THAR CRDe
• First ever unique Adventure body wrap with a 2 D map & compass
• Head lamp, tail lamp protector & chaff screen for extreme survival missions
• Wheel arch extensions that lend attitude & butch look
• Seat covers in black & orange piping
• New Centre console that takes care of securing basic equipment on the move
• Moulded floor mats that can also aid in self-recovery & camping requirements
Source: https://www.facebook.com/MahindraTha...52423425393837

Last edited by Dry Ice : 27th October 2014 at 19:44. Reason: source
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 21:50   #3169
BANNED

How would a Thar fare in a daily run to college and home? It would be only on tarmac and forgive me for saying this, it would be used only for show-off purposes.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 21:54   #3170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
How would a Thar fare in a daily run to college and home? It would be only on tarmac and forgive me for saying this, it would be used only for show-off purposes.
It would fare quite well.

However it might be cheaper to buy a second hand jeep and do it up. The only advantage would be the lovely crdi engine. But everything else will be an overkill.

If speed is a priority please remember that the Thar comes with absolutely zero safety features.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 22:13   #3171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
It would fare quite well.

However it might be cheaper to buy a second hand jeep and do it up. The only advantage would be the lovely crdi engine. But everything else will be an overkill.

If speed is a priority please remember that the Thar comes with absolutely zero safety features.
Speed is certainly not a priority. The only thing I have heard is that the Thar does not come with PS? That would be a tiresome workout in traffic which the Thar will certainly encounter.

That CRDi motor is the only reason I have an eyebrow raised at the prospect of a Thar. And thus I am also studying the prospect of a used Thar? Some have all the kit I need such as fancy alloys , a good stereo and some even a proper hardtop.
Old 27th October 2014, 22:17   #3172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Speed is certainly not a priority. The only thing I have heard is that the Thar does not come with PS? That would be a tiresome workout in traffic which the Thar will certainly encounter.

That CRDi motor is the only reason I have an eyebrow raised at the prospect of a Thar. And thus I am also studying the prospect of a used Thar? Some have all the kit I need such as fancy alloys , a good stereo and some even a proper hardtop.
College Dude, don't worry.
The absence of power steering will definitely not be a problem for any able bodied guy.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 22:25   #3173
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:

That's what we have been doing for 2 years now!
It fairs well on Tarmac. However the stock suspension is quite stiff you may want to look at the various options.
I guess this is a good car for students as we can make compromises here and there. You don't need to worry about what others say and all that. Off late there are 2 more people who have bought a Thar in my college.
In addition to 4x4 the other main advantage is it's small as well as big as in small enough to fit in a stamp size parking meant for hatchbacks and big enough to scare the living daylights out of Rickshaw wallas

However do remember you will be bitten by the modification bug as soon as you buy a Thar which cost serious money!

P.S. I don't own one but I travel to college in one everyday since last one year. If you have any query feel free to ask.
The Thar's steering wheel is lighter to turn than my Innova and it does have power steering. Only thing it's a bit big in size and has little less feedback.

Last edited by dean5545 : 27th October 2014 at 22:27.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 23:29   #3174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
College Dude, don't worry.
The absence of power steering will definitely not be a problem for any able bodied guy.
Thank you very much for the confidence inspiring words. I am upto the job of collecting the funds and will take the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
That's what we have been doing for 2 years now!
It fairs well on Tarmac. However the stock suspension is quite stiff you may want to look at the various options.
I guess this is a good car for students as we can make compromises here and there. You don't need to worry about what others say and all that. Off late there are 2 more people who have bought a Thar in my college.
In addition to 4x4 the other main advantage is it's small as well as big as in small enough to fit in a stamp size parking meant for hatchbacks and big enough to scare the living daylights out of Rickshaw wallas

However do remember you will be bitten by the modification bug as soon as you buy a Thar which cost serious money!

P.S. I don't own one but I travel to college in one everyday since last one year. If you have any query feel free to ask.
The Thar's steering wheel is lighter to turn than my Innova and it does have power steering. Only thing it's a bit big in size and has little less feedback.
Thank you for the experience and further building trust in the product.

Also should I go for a new one but spend extra to get accessories which could push it out of my budget or just stick to a used one done roughly 15-20k kms?
Old 28th October 2014, 15:41   #3175
BHPian

Quote:
should I go for a new one but spend extra to get accessories which could push it out of my budget or just stick to a used one done roughly 15-20k kms?
Buy a used one but make sure it is the 2013 model which has the upgraded brake booster and company fitted AC.
Old 28th October 2014, 17:17   #3176
BHPian

Quote:

Also should I go for a new one but spend extra to get accessories which could push it out of my budget or just stick to a used one done roughly 15-20k kms?

It depends, if you get a less abused specimen for a decent rate then go for it. But chances of finding such a specimen with sane pricing is very difficult. They will all have very little odo reading but will be heavily abused. No need for it to be a 2013 model you can update the brake boosters yourself and a/c is available even in 2012 models check this thread to know the exact year.

But first,have you test driven one ?
Not every one can live with the negatives like less comfortable seats,rattles and quality issues. However ,it is very easy to drive in the city with the light clutch and light power steering.
Speak to more owners to get their view too.
Old 30th October 2014, 17:07   #3177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I have enquired with both the dealers at my place but nobody has a clue on this Thar
Did anyone got a success with some details on this one?
Old 30th October 2014, 20:29   #3178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I have enquired with both the dealers at my place but nobody has a clue on this Thar
Did anyone got a success with some details on this one?
Looks like there is one in a Bangalore dealership - see this post Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell! Some interesting details about the catalytic converter placement and better interior console with photos.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 07:24   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
Buy a used one but make sure it is the 2013 model which has the upgraded brake booster and company fitted AC.
who says the 2013 onwards Thar's have upgraded Brake Boosters, I am on the verge of upgrading mine!.

like our report cards in school!! can do much better
Old 31st October 2014, 16:31   #3180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
who says the 2013 onwards Thar's have upgraded Brake Boosters, I am on the verge of upgrading mine!.
Yeah they have the Scorpio booster with a different part number. Some service centers were replacing the older boosters free of cost if the vehicle was in the warranty period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks