Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2014, 10:16   #3181
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Got my Fiery Black Thar on 21st.
Absolutely delighted with my new acquisition.
Went straight to Mumbai for some cosmetic changes. Below are some of my observations:

Pros:
- Smooth & powerful engine. Love the turbo boost
- Commanding drive position. You feel like a King on the roads
- Nimble to handle. Steering is pretty easy. Same goes for the clutch
- Braking is adequate
- A/C very effective but will need some time to cool when Ahmedabad Summer is at peak

Cons:
- Dashboard quality & gaps. Even low-end Marutis have better finish inside
- The AC compressor gave a whining sound en-route to Mumbai. Once the AC is switched off the sound goes but comes back in 15-20 minutes of operating the AC again. Need to get it checked at ASC
- Ride quality a bit jumpy

Overall a nice experience as my daily driver. Over and above all this, I am getting envious looks on the road.

Thanks Behrambhai for creating such a refined beast. Now I have 2 of your MasterCars
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:47   #3182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
It fairs well on Tarmac. However the stock suspension is quite stiff you may want to look at the various options.
However do remember you will be bitten by the modification bug as soon as you buy a Thar which cost serious money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Got my Fiery Black Thar on 21st. Absolutely delighted with my new acquisition. Went straight to Mumbai for some cosmetic changes. Below are some of my observations:
- Ride quality a bit jumpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
This is indeed sage advice. Would appreciate the help of fellow Team BHP-ians to identify the following on the stock Thar CRDe shocks:
(1) Bolt type
(2) Compressed length
(3) Extended length
Once we crowd-source all relevant parameters on this forum, we should indeed be able to identify the correct Bilstein part number... which can potentially benefit all of us who want to carry out this mod...
My apologies for raising this again, but the Thar gurus seem to be silent on the specs of the stock shocks. Can someone please step forward with info on the bolt the, compressed length and extended length? I'm sure there are many forum members who would welcome the opportunity to upgrade to Bilsteins by sourcing then directly... and without having to break the bank in the process!!
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:55   #3183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
My apologies for raising this again, but the Thar gurus seem to be silent on the specs of the stock shocks. Can someone please step forward with info on the bolt the, compressed length and extended length? I'm sure there are many forum members who would welcome the opportunity to upgrade to Bilsteins by sourcing then directly... and without having to break the bank in the process!!
20mm shaft, 40mm piston and a 57mm body

These are the part numbers BILSTEIN SHOCK ABSORBERS
F4-BE3-6548-M0
F4-BE3-6549-M0

I maybe wrong here.. others please confirm..

Last edited by ad1329 : 3rd November 2014 at 11:56.
Old 4th November 2014, 14:20   #3184
BHPian

Any reviews for those Bilstein shocks on a Thar? There were some posts about guys unsatisfied with the ride quality and opting to go for the Hyderabad leaf springs.
Old 4th November 2014, 17:55   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
Any reviews for those Bilstein shocks on a Thar? There were some posts about guys unsatisfied with the ride quality and opting to go for the Hyderabad leaf springs.
Thanks for bringing this up Tom, a comparison on the ride quality (both on road as well as OTR) after installing Bilstein shocks vs. Hyderabad springs would indeed be a useful discussion for Thar owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad1329 View Post
20mm shaft, 40mm piston and a 57mm body
These are the part numbers BILSTEIN SHOCK ABSORBERS
F4-BE3-6548-M0
F4-BE3-6549-M0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Bilstiens sold in India by the official importer are exorbitantly priced. Hence, I suspect they created a new part number just for the Indian Thar version. I don't see Bilstien doing major R&D and developing a new shocks for such a low volume product. Your best bet is to find the bolt type, compressed and extended length of the stock shocks and buy something say for similar wight vehicle.
Thank you AD, but as you will see from 4x4addict's earlier post, the part number you provided is India-specific (basically the importer switches the part number). In order to source the Bilstein shocks at a reasonable cost (i.e., outside India), we need the following specs of the stock Thar shocks:

(1) bolt type

(2) compressed length

(3) extended length

Anybody have the above info on the stock shocks?
Old 4th November 2014, 18:38   #3186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Got my Fiery Black Thar on 21st.
Absolutely delighted with my new acquisition.
Went straight to Mumbai for some cosmetic changes.:
Congrats for your new accusation . wish you many happy miles with it . kindly check the coolant levels of your Thar , since its reported that many Thar face some leakage issues . And yes if you can kindly post pictures of your black beast for everyone's delight .
BTW are you planning for a hard top or you will be driving it with the soft top only ?
Old 5th November 2014, 09:26   #3187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by al pacino View Post
Congrats for your new accusation . wish you many happy miles with it . kindly check the coolant levels of your Thar , since its reported that many Thar face some leakage issues . And yes if you can kindly post pictures of your black beast for everyone's delight .
BTW are you planning for a hard top or you will be driving it with the soft top only ?
Thanks Al Pacino. I would be keeping a soft-top till I am contented with it
I have checked the coolant level first thing and no issues on that front till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Statistics on Thar threads on TeamBHP:
Total number of views = 68,39,810 (sixty-eight lakh hits is not bad by any stretch of the imagination!). Total number of replies = 14,798. Percentage of replies with respect to views = 0.22%. This means that 99.78% of the people who read the posts on TeamBHP do not reply but they do read very carefully, they observe very precisely, they digest the information completely and take informed decisions. So, thank you my dear 99.78% friends, you are the backbone of success! .
Dear Behrambhai: You are right. People keenly observe this thread and go by it.
On my vehicle, I have 2 questions:
1. At idle, when I depress the clutch, the noise of the engine changes!! Could it be a improper clutch setting or something to do with the release bearing.
2. I have a OE wire insect mesh on the front grill that is fitted from the outside. Can i fit this from the inside? This way, the vertical slats will also be visible and insect mesh also serves its purpose
Old 5th November 2014, 10:45   #3188
BHPian

Thank you AD, but as you will see from 4x4addict's earlier post, the part number you provided is India-specific (basically the importer switches the part number). In order to source the Bilstein shocks at a reasonable cost (i.e., outside India), we need the following specs of the stock Thar shocks:

(1) bolt type

(2) compressed length

(3) extended length

Anybody have the above info on the stock shocks? [/quote]

That explains why these part numbers show up as innova shocks as well !!!
And those part numbers are of a B3 and not a B6 which are offroading shocks.

the best i have sourced are Ranho's for this. Once i get hold of the part numbers will share them.

The measurements i have mentioned above belong to the Armada shocks that are used in SA for the Thar. I believe that they are good set of shocks as well. Unfortunately you don't get them anywhere other than SA and Australia.
Old 7th November 2014, 09:59   #3189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjeet_Singh View Post
NCR jeepers: (Sorry for OT) Does anyone have the Thar OE soft top/fender flares for sale? The NGCS 550 is almost done and I was hoping for some hand-me-downs from jeepers with hard tops and custom flares.
Hello Manjeet,

I have the original fender flares of my Thar along with the OE front bumper and side footsteps lying useless in my backyard. Let me know if you need them.
Old 7th November 2014, 10:39   #3190
BHPian

Guys just a thought brushed my mind today , since crash safety ,abs and airbags will be mandatory from Oct 2015 how will the Thar fare in this aspect ?

Will Mahindra incorporate some safety features in the car and the over all body shell like crumple zones or just stop selling the Thar ?

I think to sell the Thar in the form which it is sold now won't be possible for Mahindra . what possible scenarios do memebers think regarding the above mentioned issue ?
al pacino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:42   #3191
BHPian

Buy all the Thars possible before production stops, they are on the verge of becoming classics
Old 7th November 2014, 11:44   #3192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by al pacino View Post
Guys just a thought brushed my mind today , since crash safety, abs and airbags will be mandatory from Oct 2015 how will the Thar fare in this aspect ?

Will Mahindra incorporate some safety features in the car and the over all body shell like crumple zones or just stop selling the Thar ?

I think to sell the Thar in the form which it is sold now won't be possible for Mahindra. What possible scenarios do memebers think regarding the above mentioned issue ?
Dear al pacino - it all depends in what category the CMVR certificate is obtained. It also depends in what category ABS and airbags become mandatory.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 18:08   #3193
Team-BHP Support

Got my Diamond White Thar CRDe on 1st November. Issues from day 1 -
1. rear tail gate gets unlocked after couple of minutes of driving over rough patch (very embarrassing )
2. Screeching sound from tyres during slow tight turns

Got the vehicle to the workshop next day. They said that they had fixed the rear door issue, but it still persists. I haven't got the time to go back to them. Have found out a jugaad solution with black tape for now.
The second issue was more concerning and the workshop had no clue about it. They said that it might be due to wheel alignment. The alignment was a bit off but nothing major. The issue was not rectified after alignment. The Service manager asked me to go back on Wednesday as Tuesday was a holiday.
Meanwhile I was thinking of returning the vehicle back as it was not registered yet. One of my 6 Thar owning friends came to my house that evening to find out if it happens to his vehicle as well. It does happen to some extent but not like mine. We searched the net and everything pointed to wheel alignment. The next day morning this friend calls up and asks me to engage and disengage the 4wd and then reverse for about 10 to 20 meters. I did as told and behold the problem was solved. So it was nothing but the auto locking hub that was causing the issue.
I was relieved and the vehicle stays
It seems that all my Mahindra vehicles will come with rear door issue from the factory, it happened to my Bolero as well and was rectified at the workshop. My Thar owning friends are repeatedly telling me to have patience for the first one month!!

Attaching a picture, sorry for the poor image quality..
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 08:30   #3194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Got my Diamond White Thar CRDe on 1st November.

I was relieved and the vehicle stays
It seems that all my Mahindra vehicles will come with rear door issue from the factory, it happened to my Bolero as well and was rectified at the workshop. My Thar owning friends are repeatedly telling me to have patience for the first one month!!
Congratulations on the new jeep.

The rear door issue is actually due to CMVR regulations which don't care if rear occupants and/or luggage may fall off the vehicle while driving. M&M has been strictly adhering to what the CMVR has mandated and nothing more. Actually they didn't even provide a proper lever to open the rear door from the inside since CMVR expects people to jump outside a jeep vs ingress/egress like normal cars.

If the so-called problem persists, please use a nylon or cotton rope to secure the door to the soft top frame. And this advise is as mentioned on page 45 of the techical "jugaad" handbook for the Thar...LOL!

On the other issue, you are most likely a victim of the unsuspecting monkeys at the ASC who fiddle around with the 4x4 lever without reason. However, please observe the hub unlocking process diligently every time you engage the 4x4. You need to shift to 2wd and reverse the vehicle for about 10-20m and look out for the click sound that confirms that the hubs are unlocked. Mahindra has designed it to keep you at the edge always and its not 100% of the times that you will hear it. But if you feel any tightness of steering during full turns, please repeat the process. And if it happens randomly even without engaging into 4x4, then demand for a replacement for the hubs, you may need power if email and social media if they don't happily oblige to this.

Happy Thar'ing, life will never be the same again.
amolpol is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 10:06   #3195
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Got my Diamond White Thar CRDe on 1st November.
DB sir would be so happy that Another convert has been born. Congratulations to you. Enjoy the vehicle.

Be careful of the injury inflicting nature of the Thar as you complained earlier. Anyways it is a known devil now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks