Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 10:45   #3406
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
The doors are the same as that of an MM540, not a Bolero!
Thanks.I thought the Bolero DI and Thar front doors looked similar.
Can someone also post about the correct LSPV settings after fitting the upgraded booster,ie the length in cms.
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:51   #3407
BHPian

Guys, can anyone help me where one can (still) get the SA roll bar for the new Thar?

I got the following part numbers from cpbopana's thread on his Thar. I asked the dealership, but they are presently clueless.

0101GAD00170N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR LH EXPORT
0101GAD00180N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR RH EXPORT
0101GAD00250N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR FRONT EXPORT

The other question is the stock rollover bar from Mahindra, I remember reading on the forums where Behram Dhabhar sir said they were not so good. Are they really so bad?
Old 24th September 2015, 00:55   #3408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys, can anyone help me where one can (still) get the SA roll bar for the new Thar?

I got the following part numbers from cpbopana's thread on his Thar. I asked the dealership, but they are presently clueless.

0101GAD00170N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR LH EXPORT
0101GAD00180N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR RH EXPORT
0101GAD00250N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR FRONT EXPORT

The other question is the stock rollover bar from Mahindra, I remember reading on the forums where Behram Dhabhar sir said they were not so good. Are they really so bad?
Johy
SA roll-over cages are available at any Mahindra dealership, the Part Numbers are correct.
The Indian roll-over cage accommodates the original sideways-facing rear seats.
In the SA roll-over cage, the rear seat needs to be forward facing.
Cheers!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 06:15   #3409
BHPian

Quote:
Johy
SA roll-over cages are available at any Mahindra dealership, the Part Numbers are correct.
Cheers!
Hi cbopanna. Do the side facing rear seats need to be moved inwards for the India roll cage install or will they continue in the same exact position.
Old 24th September 2015, 08:23   #3410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Hi cbopanna. Do the side facing rear seats need to be moved inwards for the India roll cage install or will they continue in the same exact position.
Hi Cherian

The SA roll-over cage slopes inwards, as compared to the India roll-over cage. This fouls with the backrests of the side-ways facing seats!
Once the SA roll-over cage has been fitted, the seats require to be moved in/re-oriented!

Cheers!
Old 24th September 2015, 10:34   #3411
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Cherian

The SA roll-over cage slopes inwards, as compared to the India roll-over cage. This fouls with the backrests of the side-ways facing seats!
Once the SA roll-over cage has been fitted, the seats require to be moved in/re-oriented!

Cheers!
Thanks. Actually was wanting to check if the Indian Roll cage left the seats without change. Not wanting to change the seat position as that would mess up my rear bed frame setup.
Old 24th September 2015, 21:26   #3412
BHPian

dilsh3r, how has your experience been with this HT after all these months? Have you come across any new issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsh3r View Post
One thing I like about this roof is that it didn't change the original look of the Thar. And yes it's robust.
I think that's the biggest plus point about this HT imho. The 23k pricing is an icing on the cake. Thinking about it, a long weekend roadtrip from Delhi to Moga and back to get this done isn't too bad an idea.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 24th September 2015 at 21:27.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 21:31   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
I think that's the biggest plus point about this HT imho. The 23k pricing is an icing on the cake. Thinking about it, a long weekend roadtrip from Delhi to Moga and back to get this done isn't too bad an idea.
Its not just a long weekend run.
They take one week for this job, thats what they told me over phone.
Which was a bit too much for me,
since i was not too comfortable leaving my vehicle a few hundred kms away from me with unknown people, for a week.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 08:35   #3414
BHPian

So yesterday I went to get a test drive of the 2015 Thar at Dehradun Premier Motors (not that I need one since I've already made up my mind about the Thar). They didn't have staff who could answer a couple of my questions regarding extended warranty and replacing the bumper, and had to come back with just the pricing information.

As far as the test drive was concerned, I was told that they sold the test drive vehicle and they'll inform me when they have one available. I'm not sure how common this is, but I'm really hoping they were lying about the TD vehicle being sold.

Will try to get my TD at Gurgaon/Delhi dealerships next week.

PS: They had a little poster that read "Please collect Rs. 200 if a test drive is not offered". In retrospect, I think I should have asked for the 200. ; )

Last edited by Tanmay K : 26th September 2015 at 08:43.
Old 26th September 2015, 09:32   #3415
BHPian

Quote:
Johy
Cheers!
Thanks sir. The Mahindra dealership here is not able to procure the South Africa Bar so far. In case I go with the India roll over bar which is readily available, can I still proceed with the installation of front facing rear seats (with seatbelts)?

Could you please share with us the main differences between the SA bar and the India specific rollover bar (apart from the fact that the SA bar is insloping)?
Old 26th September 2015, 09:41   #3416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Thanks sir. The Mahindra dealership here is not able to procure the South Africa Bar so far. In case I go with the India roll over bar which is readily available, can I still proceed with the installation of front facing rear seats (with seatbelts)?

Could you please share with us the main differences between the SA bar and the India specific rollover bar (apart from the fact that the SA bar is insloping)?
India Garage Bangalore should be able to procure the roll-over cage for you.

The South-African roll-over cage is designed to meet the specifications of that country, to prevent injury to occupants in case of a roll over. I doubt the Indian one meets any specifications!

The seat-belt mounting points are on the S-A roll-over cage itself.
In case of a roll-over in a regular vehicle, the targa band can just fold (it's sheet metal after all) and the driver/passenger will have no protection (the seat belts would have been rendered useless, with the top anchor point having caved in)

Bottom line, the SA roll-over cage is much safer in case of topple.
Old 7th October 2015, 18:02   #3417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiSEr_007 View Post

@Ksingh544 : I did get a chance to have a test ride of Thar, although it was not as long as your test ride (mine was about 5 kms). For the short while that I took it on highways, here are my observations:

- I felt that the brakes were a bit underpowered. No improvements in this regard.

- The acceleration was good, and since the vehicle was new, it was more responsive than the older one which was probably bashed up a lot in the test drives.

- The steering is now centered properly.

- Overall, it feels more refined but definitely not in the league of sedans or hatchback. Ride quality still hasn't changed much. It still feels a bit bumpy in the cabin.

... Will keep you updated.
Hi

wanted to update you and the forum that I have taken the plunge and booked my Thar today.
Originally the plan was for the Rocky Beige but unfortunately its a 8-10 week wait here in Jammu, for that colour
So changed to Fiery Black which they are hoping to get in 4 weeks.

Wanted to thank everyone who's brain i have chewed in the last 2 years with multiple questions, queries, comparisons and what not.

Mods im not sure if this the correct place for this but just wanted to share this with everyone and thank all

Very excited and cant wait for the delivery.

cheers

K.
Ksingh544 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:56   #3418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post

As far as the test drive was concerned, I was told that they sold the test drive vehicle and they'll inform me when they have one available. I'm not sure how common this is, but I'm really hoping they were lying about the TD vehicle being sold.
Dealers do sell TD vehicles. They usually sell it off through their used cars department. I'm 100% sure that Hyundai dealers sell off Eons and i10, which becomes expensive to maintain after all the torture from all the test drives . They do give 1 year warranty and a couple of free services for the same vehicle.
Old 9th November 2015, 00:47   #3419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjeet_Singh View Post
The fender extensions have been procured and painted dull black, and will inform the mech to install as suggested.

I don't quite have PM privileges yet. If you can PM me the cost, that would be great.

Thank you very much.
Hi can you please tell me where you got the flares from and the cost?
Old 9th November 2015, 11:13   #3420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The South-African roll-over cage is designed to meet the specifications of that country, to prevent injury to occupants in case of a roll over. I doubt the Indian one meets any specifications! Bottom line, the SA roll-over cage is much safer in case of topple.
Dear Bopannaji - hello after a very long time! I have not been able to read the 4*4 section for quite sometime. Thanks for guiding people correctly, so that they only buy things that add value and do not buy any nonsense available out there. Most of it was nonsense anyways and continues to be nonsense, I hope people are understanding and acting accordingly. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed